Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tanpura (Indian Stringed Instrument)

I'm not sure how familiar you all are with Classical Indian Music, but in a lot of the music, what lies behind the notes of the sitar are the deep notes of a tanpura. I'm sure you have probably heard it before, you might have just been unaware of what it was, or didn't really care. Anyway, I think it is very tranquil, especially when repetitive (which it is usually is). I have fallen asleep to this sort of music plenty of times. I was wondering if anyone has ever meditated to the sound of a tanpura, or what you guys think of doing so. Here is a sample from YouTube:

misterCope

Comments

• I love Hindustani Classical (not familiar with Carnatic). First exposure to it was Ravi Shankar (of course :lol: ). While the sitar does have a set of drone and sympathetic strings, the tampura is the primary drone sound. Love it. :)
  • I love Hindustani Classical (not familiar with Carnatic). First exposure to it was Ravi Shankar (of course :lol: ). While the sitar does have a set of drone and sympathetic strings, the tampura is the primary drone sound. Love it. :)

Yes, I'm glad to hear you know about this genre. Leave it to a buddhist to be interested in something like this, lol. What is Carnatic?
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited September 2013
    Carnatic is southern Indian classical. It's different from the northern (Hindustani) style. That's all I know of it.
  • I'll have to look it up. I listen to Ravi and a bunch of others who sound very similar, so I don't think I've heard any Carnatic music.
  • oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited September 2013
    Wow that's a really neat sound. I occasionally use didgeridoo.