Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dr. Eliot's Five Foot Shelf (The Harvard Classics)

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
I am beginning what some will call a difficult, yet rewarding goal. In the next year or so, I will be reading and writing on the well known "Dr.Eliot's Five Foot Shelf," known as The Harvard Classics. My goal is to finish 51 volumes in the next year.

I hope is to use this Blog as my Journal, which will enable me to engage with my thoughts, ideas, confusions, logic, and analytical triumph in understanding these classics.

Once I complete 51 volumes of "The Harvard Classics," I intend to dive into the Great Books also known as the "Great Books of the Western World." I know that there are many other important works of the Eastern Canon and other cultural importance's out there, which I intend to read, but I have to begin somewhere.

I will write up a more in-depth summary of Dr.Eliot's "The Harvard Classics," and the Mortimer Adler's "The Great Books of the Western World," as I proceed to read,review,annotate and chew on these classics.

I will proceed to write about each book,page and paragraph as I see fit.

If you'd like more information, or simply looking to chat about these historical classics, please do not hesitate to contact me at LeonBasin@gmail.com

This is a beginning of self-education and self-improvement and I hope you will join me.

You can follow my journey on my Blog - http://www.leonbasin.blogspot.com
riverflow

Comments

• How wonderful. :)
    I went to a library and several of my favourite bookshops, Watkins, Atlantis etc recently.
    I miss books :(

mostly I read online . . . (some of my best friends are trees . . . don't like them being mashed)

The move to digital really started for me when I went to the British library and ended up accessing their online computers and in particular their prototype high resolution and multiple frequency scanning software.

Books are magic.

When you reread a classic you do not see more in the book than you did before; you see more in you than was there before. ~Clifton Fadiman
    DaltheJigsawriverflow
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    lobster said:

How wonderful. :)
    I went to a library and several of my favourite bookshops, Watkins, Atlantis etc recently.
    I miss books :(

mostly I read online . . . (some of my best friends are trees . . . don't like them being mashed)

The move to digital really started for me when I went to the British library and ended up accessing their online computers and in particular their prototype high resolution and multiple frequency scanning software.

Books are magic.

When you reread a classic you do not see more in the book than you did before; you see more in you than was there before. ~Clifton Fadiman

Books are absolutely magical. I'm actually downloading all of these books from the public domain. Specifically - http://www.gutenberg.org/ - I then upload them onto my Kindle.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Although not the Harvard Classics, every once in a while I take a break from current novels and go back and read something from the 1950s or earlier. It's always a nice change in pace to see how writing has evolved. One time is not necessarily better or worse, just different.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Although not the Harvard Classics, every once in a while I take a break from current novels and go back and read something from the 1950s or earlier. It's always a nice change in pace to see how writing has evolved. One time is not necessarily better or worse, just different.

That's true! I am interested in getting a better education and I believe this is a good beginning. I'm also reading "1Q84." I highly suggest this book. The only thing is, it is over 1,000 pages. I believe 1300? Great book!