Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

IN MEMORIAM 9/11

Just a thread as a general memorial for those killed 12 years ago, and their families....

Don’t sign your name
between worlds,

surmount
the manifold of meanings,

trust the tearstain,
learn to live.

~ Paul Celan
(translated by Nikolai Popov & Heather McHugh)

Comments

• I will never, ever, forget...
    riverflow
  • Is there a day for the half million children killed in Iraq post 9/11?
    riverflowVictoriouspoptart
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited September 2013

Is there a day for the half million children killed in Iraq post 9/11?

Can we not turn a simple day of remembrance into a political debate?? Please? Just this once?

Edited to add:
    And besides, war is UGLY. No doubt about it. But we were not at 'war' with anyone when 9-11 happened. They were terrorists, targeting innocent (American) civilians, not soldiers or military people. 3,000 people died that day- because of religious zealots/terrorists.
    9-11 forever changed (some of) our lives, especially those in America and close enough to smell the smoke and see the ash falling down. I sincerely wish the war in Iraq didn't happen, (it shouldn't have happened!) but that doesn't stop me from respecting the innocent lives lost here due to terrorism, nor innocent lives lost due to war(s) around the world. Please respect our day of remembrance & mourning, ok?
    riverflowkarasti

I don't suppose there is, but no life is more important than any other. No sane person thinks war is worth the cost of human lives. Just try to remember that the people who are hurting today in America more than likely would not approve of children or any innocents being killed in the name of national security. If you feel that strongly about those children then i say you should put those feelings to a positive use and start your own memorial for them. The internet is a powerful tool to bring people together.
    I think today reminds me that life is impermanent and short and I feel for anyone who has lost a loved one for any reason. I have spent the morning contacting those I love just to say I love you. Plus I am a block from the whitehouse so I am very "aware" of the dangers today may pose.

riverflowMaryAnne
  • When I think of what happened on 9/11, I can't help but remember how the tragedy did not stop on that day, but extended out to the needless slaughter and continued destabilization of the Middle East. Sadly, much of the US bought the rhetoric of war which only made matters worse-- in other words, no lessons were learned. The tragedy of 9/11 was not only a tragedy for Americans. At least that is how I see it.
    MaryAnne
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I still think about it, all the time. I think about other victims of atrocities often, too. Pearl Harbor changed the lives of Americans and defined more than one generation. 9/11 did the same, though I wish the defining part were more positive. But we have a long ways to go, and I have hope for more diplomacy and less war.
    9/11 was also the first time in my life I truly recognized the illusion of life, of safety and security and how quickly the floor can be ripped out from under our lives. The definition of my feeling safe changed forever that day, as did the world my children are growing up in. It is the reason we are where we are with the NSA controversy and wanting to drop bombs before negotiating lest we be blindsided again.
    The loss of all the innocent lives is a horrific thing. All of them are important, but today we remember what happened here that changed all of us. But in a sense, it is even worse that as a result of what happened 12 years ago, so many people live in fear of their fellow man, even fellow Americans.
    When 9/11 happened, we felt a need to rise above, and yet it feels to me like we haven't. We looked to war to ease our anger and our pain and our fear and it didn't give us the answers we sought. The problems come from within all of us, and that is where the solutions lie as well. I'm not trying to be a downer, it's not been a good day for me in more ways than one ;) It just feels sometimes like we haven't recovered from what happened 12 years ago, mentally and emotionally, as a country. We intended to rise above but we seem to live more in fear than ever. I think we owe it to those who were lost to not give into it.
    riverflowMaryAnne
  • I remember the people who died that day. A man falling to his death, a woman saying her last words in a voice-mail to her loved ones.
    It’s about human tragedy; not about politics (for me anyways).

MaryAnneriverflowVastmindmisterCope
  • " It’s about human tragedy; not about politics (for me anyways). "

Thank you, @zenff. It's a shame more people don't see it like that...
    riverflow
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    karasti said:

I still think about it, all the time. I think about other victims of atrocities often, too. Pearl Harbor changed the lives of Americans and defined more than one generation. 9/11 did the same, though I wish the defining part were more positive. But we have a long ways to go, and I have hope for more diplomacy and less war.

9/11 was also the first time in my life I truly recognized the illusion of life, of safety and security and how quickly the floor can be ripped out from under our lives. The definition of my feeling safe changed forever that day, as did the world my children are growing up in. It is the reason we are where we are with the NSA controversy and wanting to drop bombs before negotiating lest we be blindsided again.

When 9/11 happened, we felt a need to rise above, and yet it feels to me like we haven't. We looked to war to ease our anger and our pain and our fear and it didn't give us the answers we sought. The problems come from within all of us, and that is where the solutions lie as well. I'm not trying to be a downer, it's not been a good day for me in more ways than one ;) It just feels sometimes like we haven't recovered from what happened 12 years ago, mentally and emotionally, as a country. We intended to rise above but we seem to live more in fear than ever. I think we owe it to those who were lost to not give into it.

Very well written.

The 2 things I remember from that day was the poor men, women, and children who were hijacked and knew they were going to be crashed into a building. I just can't even imagine how horrifying their last minutes and hour were.

I also remember how I felt. My school was 7 miles from the Pentagon and 4 miles from the CIA. Panicked parents came to pick up their children after the Pentagon crash, and there were also sorts of other rumors about local apartment complexes being bombed, and so forth. And I went to bed that night wondering if we would be evacuated or killed in some further attack.

I can forgive a lot...I do not forgive 9/11.

sndymornKundo

• Nearly my entire family lives in North Jersey or in and around NYC. I had friends in the NYC area, as well as Staten Island, etc. Lots of them work/ed in the city.
    I have some Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and friends who had either sons, daughters, spouses or neighbors and friends working in and/or very close to the Towers...
    It was an excruciating time for them emotionally- waiting those initial hours to hear if their family member or friend made it out alive. Many thousands of people did escape the Towers and the surrounding area alive. But we all know thousands did not.

Like you @vinlyn, I often think about those on those four planes, as well as those who jumped to their deaths, who had no hope at all. I can't even imagine - don't want to imagine - their horrifying last minutes. I just can't allow myself to 'forget' 9-11...
    Yes, and Mary Anne, I also charge a fee for forgiveness -- that a person regret what he/she did and would not do such a thing again. Unfortunately, we have no evidence (nor do I think) that those terrorists would express either one of those sentiments. In fact, my guess is that had they somehow lived through the experience, they would have gone on to do more of the same.

Yeah that number isn't accurate. Not even close.
    riverflow
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    riverflow said:

Just a thread as a general memorial for those killed 12 years ago, and their families....

And also the people whose mind's were in such a hellish place to even do such a thing to begin with.

:om:
    riverflowoceancaldera207
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

" It’s about human tragedy; not about politics (for me anyways). "
    Thank you, @zenff. It's a shame more people don't see it like that...

I agree with you both. People HAVE to turn it into politics :/ Happens a lot here lately.
    riverflowMaryAnne
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2013
    MaryAnne said:

Is there a day for the half million children killed in Iraq post 9/11?

Can we not turn a simple day of remembrance into a political debate?? Please? Just this once?

Edited to add:
    And besides, war is UGLY. No doubt about it. But we were not at 'war' with anyone when 9-11 happened. They were terrorists, targeting innocent (American) civilians, not soldiers or military people. 3,000 people died that day- because of religious zealots/terrorists.
    9-11 forever changed (some of) our lives, especially those in America and close enough to smell the smoke and see the ash falling down. I sincerely wish the war in Iraq didn't happen, (it shouldn't have happened!) but that doesn't stop me from respecting the innocent lives lost here due to terrorism, nor innocent lives lost due to war(s) around the world. Please respect our day of remembrance & mourning, ok?
    I think @ThailandTom makes an important point; it's not just "our day of remembrance & mourning." For example, here's what I wrote earlier today on Facebook:

9/11 is now synonymous with the attacks on the World Trade Center Building in New York. It was a tragic event that killed almost 3,000 and was seen by many Americans as an attack on democracy itself. But 9/11 also marks the anniversary of a literal attack on democracy that took place in Chile 40 years ago today, a US-backed coup that ousted the democratically-elected president of Chile, Salvador Allende. So when honouring and reflecting on the 3,000 who lost their lives 12 years ago, also take the time to honour and remember the 3,000+ who lost their lives as the result of Augusto Pinochet's brutal 17-year dictatorship, as well as the 40,000 who were held as political prisoners and tortured.
    poptart
  • zenff said:

It’s about human tragedy; not about politics (for me anyways).

Yes, these other points raised here, many of which I do agree with, are meant for another thread. Not this one.

I'm afraid the point of this thread has been totally missed.
    MaryAnne
  • Yes, the point of this thread has been lost. Sorry, @Riverflow.
    A simple call of remembrance and respect for innocent lives lost has been turned into a political "blame game" and "well, look what YOU/WE did..." thing.
    What an example of "right speech", eh?

It's sort of like saying to your best friend whose mother just passed away;
    "Pfft! Mothers die every day- It happens, no big deal, get over it..."
    So cold and disrespectful.
    riverflow
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I find it rather ridiculous to insinuate that remembering the victims of one tragedy means other victims are not important. It's impossible not to note 9/11, it changed the lives of everyone in the US, and beyond. There is so much that went on around, and after, and even now regarding 9/11 that it is also impossible not to mention it or think of it without also considering all those things, including the victims of the wars.

We remember a lot of days in our country, why is it that no one comes here to dispute why we do that? We remember MLK and veterans of war, we still have news commemorating Columbine every year. Heck we celebrate holidays without having a clue where the things we use to celebrate even come from (Christmas trees, jack o lanterns, Easter bunnies). Why is 9/11 the ONE thing people feel a need to say "what about this person? Those people? That event? Those victims?" Why on Halloween does no one come here and say "When you are out celebrating with your kids, don't forget about the Salem Witch Trials!"
    riverflowvinlynMaryAnneoceancaldera207
    In general I don't have a problem with threads that drift, because that's what live conversations do.

But I think that when you have a thread started to memorialize those who died in some specific event, it's rather inappropriate to hijack the thread to make political points.

And, you're correct, Karasti -- memorializing those who died in one event, doesn't diminish the importance of those who died in thousands of other events throughout history.
    MaryAnneriverflow
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I don't think there was a lot of ambiguity about what the discussion was about. If you want to have a nice political or conspiracy discussion, try starting a new discussion. I put on my hip-waders and pruned the hell out of this one.
    riverflow
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited September 2013
    With all due respect, maybe I'da filed this one under the Meditation (thinking Meditation/Metta) banner than under the General Banter banner.

Maybe that's quite dualistic of me, but I think we're all made up of parts, banter and discursiveness being our more ornery aspect???

________
    btw, I love this relegating of threads to where they cannot be bumped. How extraordinaire!

• Thank you, @Lincoln ...
    edited September 2013
    vinlyn said:

But I think that when you have a thread started to memorialize those who died in some specific event, it's rather inappropriate to hijack the thread to make political points.

The problem is that the attack itself was a political event; and our response as a nation, as well as many of the ways its framed and memorialized, are also themselves political in some shape or form. So from that perspective, I think it's fair to make political points in that context. I mean, you can't really politicize what's already an inherently political issue.
    Is it indeed an inherently political issue?

Seems to me that it's arguable that killing people chosen at random is rather an apolitical act. I think terrorism is more aimed at breaking down systems and upsetting the applecart than at addressing political issues. It's apolitical in the same way that anarchy is.Basically, politics is squabbling for what piece of the pie you want, whereas acts of horror or terror attempt to destroy the whole derned pie. Though true that most terrorists have conditions they'd like to have met, their behavior changes the ballgame.

Well, just a few sketchy thoughts that I myself am not very convinced of.
    edited September 2013
    Nirvana said:

Is it indeed an inherently political issue?

Seems to me that it's arguable that killing people chosen at random is rather an apolitical act. I think terrorism is more aimed at breaking down systems and upsetting the applecart than at addressing political issues. It's apolitical in the same way that anarchy is.Basically, politics is squabbling for what piece of the pie you want, whereas acts of horror or terror attempt to destroy the whole derned pie. Though true that most terrorists have conditions they'd like to have met, their behavior changes the ballgame.

Well, just a few sketchy thoughts that I myself am not very convinced of.

Yes, I'd say it's an inherently political issue. One reason is that the people who planned and executed the attack had certain objectives in carrying it out, much of it stemming from other political issues, particularly within the Middle East. It wasn't as if 9/11 was some random, spontaneous event outside of any political context whatsoever. That's the way I see it, at any rate.
    Maybe so, at least for the planners who were just filled with hatred, bigotry, and blindness. I'm not sure that's as political as it is just pathological, though.

As to the actual physical perpetrators: They were just desperate men doing a very desperate deed. If I were desperately hungry and nobody gave me any food, I'd steal. However, I don't think I'd be making a political statement by so doing. -Nor would I, by poisoning the food supply so many more could suffer as have I, would I be acting politically. Crimes are not politically motivated, but come from a darkness and a cancer that is let to grow and fester.

All I'm trying to say here, I guess, is that such low-life acts of terrorism aren't political —they simply do not rise to that level. Politics is the art of give-and-take and consists of squabbling, not killing and maiming. That's crime and war.
    edited September 2013
    Nirvana said:

Maybe so, at least for the planners who were just filled with hatred, bigotry, and blindness. I'm not sure that's as political as it is just pathological, though.

As to the actual physical perpetrators: They were just desperate men doing a very desperate deed. If I were desperately hungry and nobody gave me any food, I'd steal. However, I don't think I'd be making a political statement by so doing. -Nor would I, by poisoning the food supply so many more could suffer as have I, would I be acting politically. Crimes are not politically motivated, but come from a darkness and a cancer that is let to grow and fester.

All I'm trying to say here, I guess, is that such low-life acts of terrorism aren't political —they simply do not rise to that level. Politics is the art of give-and-take and consists of squabbling, not killing and maiming. That's crime and war.

I don't think either the planners or executors were as blind or as desperate as you assume (many were actually well-educated and middle-class); and the attack itself was political on many levels, from motives to aims. Terrorism, itself, is very often a political act, with certain political motivations and aims that's enacted by a group or individual with limited means, particularly militarily speaking.

I'm not saying that all political points made are relevant or tasteful in and themselves; but in this case, I think it's fair to make political points because the attack itself was a political event, our response as a nation (two wars) was a political response, many of the ways 9/11 is framed and memorialized (e.g., nationalistically) are also political in some shape or form, etc. Politics covers far more in our lives that what goes on in, say, Congress or political action that's approved of by us. The IRA, for example, was a political group even though they also committed acts of terrorism, i.e., the context was political even if some of the things they did seemed like mindless acts of violence.

My basic point is that we can and should honour the victims of tragic events like this; But we should also allow for political discussions because these things are more often than not political events that by their very nature open up political debates and have political consequences.
    Of course we must honor the memory of those who died and the loss their loved ones endured!

I do fail, however, to see the actions of those blinded by their own bitterness and hatred being guided by "politics," speaking straightly. Hatred and violence are not policies [cp to "politics"] but are methodologies or strategies if not just downright pathologies.

Again, if acts of terror are a methodology or part of a strategy to achieve a political end, they are not forthright and direct enough to guarantee any result. If beating a horse will not make it a better horse, then promulgating acts of terror against people simply because they cannot see the suffering they're causing others will probably not make them better attuned to their actions, either. IMO political action is calculated action. On the other hand, acts of terrorism are just acts of impetus: upset the apple cart just to throw things off balance long enough that maybe... (pigs will fly?).

You just cannot fight hatred with hatred. It will only recoil multifold on you.
    -- paraphrasing the Buddha
  • oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited September 2013
    I don't think either the planners or executors were as blind or as desperate as you assume (many were actually well-educated and middle-class); and the attack itself was political on many levels, from motives to aims.
    "Counterintuitively, most cult members are of at least average intelligence and have perfectly normal personality profiles. It is this which makes them valuable to the cult's leaders - those who are certifiable would be useless at recruiting others, raising money or successfully engaging in terrorism. Consistent with this, a recent analysis of 500 al-Qaeda members found that the majority of them had been in further education and were from relatively affluent families.
    The only difference between a cult member and everyone else is that they tend to join at a moment of heightened vulnerability in their lives, such as after a divorce, losing a job or attending college away from home for the first time."

icsahome.com/infoserv_articles/tourish_dennis_culticdimensions721_en0403.htm
    riverflow