Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NKT Festival Portugal

Comments

• TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I really wish I was :(
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2013
    @Federica why?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    changed my post to include link.
    Anything this controversial just turns me off from the get-go.
    The day I hear something constantly positive and good about them, I might be persuaded to review my opinion.
    MaryAnne
    Honestly as if daring to not follow the DL or even not having a photo of him in a centre is such an awful thing.

I have formed an opinion on the NKT myself by actually trying them not from some close minded Dalai Lama follower's report on the internet and I know that there is nothing wrong with them and that some people are just jealous.
  • ^^ Some people do well in cults. Mostly because they don't think for themselves. Enjoy.
  • federica said:

The day I hear something constantly positive and good about them, I might be persuaded to review my opinion.

I run a project that takes recovering addicts on week working visits to an NKT centre. I've been doing it for 2 years now and it has been a wonderful success. The people I take absolutely love being there. Some have had spiritual awakenings, others have started meditating, others reading Dharma books, and so on. No-one has had anything close to a bad experience, and seeing seasoned addicts - many of whom have extensive, serious criminal records - utterly disarmed and full of joy is a glorious sight. No-one has ever been coerced into engaging in NKT practices, not even encouraged, it is simply left for them to find - or not - in their own time. I personally prefer Zen Buddhism to NKT teachings, but the teachings are still evidently beautiful. I can't see how anyone could knock the teachings. Anyway, i'm sorry that there is ill-feeling towards the NKT. I have personally - as well as the many individuals I bring with me - had nothing but positive experiences at this NKT centre for two years now. They have been accommodating and supportive on a level that I would never have imagined possible.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I wish I was it will be a great event ! :)

federica said:

Honestly as if daring to not follow the DL or even not having a photo of him in a centre is such an awful thing.

I have formed an opinion on the NKT myself by actually trying them not from some close minded Dalai Lama follower's report on the internet and I know that there is nothing wrong with them and that some people are just jealous.

Forming opinions based on personal experience is the best way to do things. This is Buddha's advise to. ;)
  • caz said:

federica said:

Forming opinions based on personal experience is the best way to do things. This is Buddha's advise to. ;)
    True!
    MaryAnne said:

^^ Some people do well in cults. Mostly because they don't think for themselves. Enjoy.

It isn't a cult.
    You may want it to be but it isn't.
    Please be more open minded.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I have no position as to whether or not NKT is a cult or not. However, to dismiss that viewpoint is not very accurate. Google "NKT + cult" and you will see there is a great deal of discussion about whether or not it is a cult.
  • vinlyn said:

I have no position as to whether or not NKT is a cult or not. However, to dismiss that viewpoint is not very accurate. Google "NKT + cult" and you will see there is a great deal of discussion about whether or not it is a cult.

It's a meaningless concept. It's an emotive tactic, not a statement of truth. Whether the NKT is labelled a cult or a religious tradition is meaningless. All that matters is the truth of their practice. Do they practice the teachings of the Buddha? Yes. End of.
    edited October 2013
    vinlyn said:

Well they are very ignorant, mean and jealousy driven people so I couldn't care less bigots like them think

My mother has gone with me to meditation classes and retreats run by them and she wouldn't let me any where near a cult.
    Its explained here how it isn't a cult:
    http://www.newkadampatruth.org/smear-nkt-is-a-cult
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited October 2013
    @TheEccentric
    Why is it OK for you to call soooo many people "ignorant" and "jealous" and "mean" but it's not ok for people to express an OPINION about a group that -according to most dictionary definitions- IS actually a cult??

I'm getting pretty annoyed at your name calling and holier-than-thou bias towards everyone who doesn't agree with you or who chooses to respect the DL for who he is...
    Differing opinions is one thing, name calling is really uncalled for.
    vinlyn
    MaryAnne said:

@TheEccentric
    Why is it OK for you to call soooo many people "ignorant" and "jealous" and "mean" but it's not ok for people to express an OPINION about a group that -according to most dictionary definitions- IS actually a cult??

I'm getting pretty annoyed at your name calling and holier-than-thou bias towards everyone who doesn't agree with you or who chooses to respect the DL for who he is...
    Disagreeing opinions is one thing, name calling is really uncalled for.

It is not a cult by most dictionary definitions.

And I am just defending here. @Mindatrisk made a completely innocuous thread and you lot jump in, use it as an opportunity to make shots about the NKT and have a field day with insults.
    The NKT Teaches Genuine Dharma derived from the Gelug Tradition presented by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso with the blessing of his Root Guru Trijang Rinpoche who also happens to be the Dalai lama's Root Guru as well so it is certainly an authentic lineage with excellent teachers to boot.

The Main teachings are.

Lamrim

Guru Yoga

How to engage in the Bodhisattva's way of life

Lojong

Action Tantra

Heruka & Vajrayogini Tantra with Ganden Mahamudra

all perfectly authentic practices from a master blessed by not only his Root Guru who is one of the most revered within the Gelug Lineage but also approved by one of the former Gaden Tripa's HH Ling Rinpoche the Dalai lama's other Tutor.

You can find allsorts over the net about figures and organisations however it doesn't make it true or representative as a whole of peoples experiences.

By comparison the Dalai lama could be called a cult leader he's not exactly what you would call free of controversy himself...

This could go on and on with name calling and mudslinging but id prefer not to indulge in such trite childishness. If you have no personal experience of things what does it say of you to engage in grinding away at the rumour mill ?
    ToshEvenThirdTheEccentricseeker242
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited October 2013
    @TheEccentric
    (And @Caz, I just saw your post above this)

When a religious group (of any kind), no matter how large or small, breaks away from the mainstream teachings of it's core religion, for any reason, it is by definition a "cult".

When a (religious) group requires very strict adherence to behavioral 'rules' -not set forth by the religion itself - and requires the surrendering of member's material possessions or money to the group in order to be a member/student ... it is said to be a "cult".

When any group requires singular "devotion" to a figure head, while discounting all other religious leaders (even of that same religion) as insignificant, or worse.... it is a cult.

When any religious group denies students/members from asking questions, reading any books not approved by the group leader, seeking information from other sects/leaders of the same religion, it is pretty much a cult.

In the NKT, there is a cult atmosphere- regardless if their teachings are "pure" & traditional or not.
    The term cult is not limited only to what is taught, but it also includes HOW things are taught and the limitations placed on students/members for seeking knowledge/information/even friendships outside their control.
    That is also a cult.

*IF* the many many stories told by former NKT members are true, (I know you choose to believe none of them are....) then from what they say, NKT in England is thought to be very cult-like by many people, former members or not. To label all of them "ignorant, jealous or mean" is ridiculous. Who is the one without the open mind, eh?

As I said earlier, I have no knowledge about whether NKT is a cult or not.

But the more people rail against having the opinion, the more I suspect it is.

The more people say you can't say it's a cult, the more I suspect it is.

That is actually typical cult behavior.

So keep condemning those with a different opinion, and you'll succeed in convincing me it is a cult.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I've been to loads of NKT meditation classes; I'll still drop in now 'n' again. I've read all the anti NKT stuff on the interweb yet have never had a negative experience with them.

Go figure.

Chonden the monk didn't seem like some cult leader. I've heard him advise folk new to Buddhism to explore it; to go to some other Buddhist sects and see what chimes with them, and then stick with what they find. This is not cultish behaviour.

I'd suggest that people try visiting one of their drop in meditation centres and form an opinion based on experience, rather than just believing stuff you read on the net.

And please, someone, give me the name of one Buddhist sect which hasn't been embroiled in some sort of scandal. I bet you can't.

I think some of the problem is that the NKT is still a fairly new sect (I understand their lineage and a little bit about the Kadampa tradition), but in the first flush of youth, they made mistakes and will probably continue to do so, but no doubt so has every other Buddhist sect there is.

And every serious NKT practitioner I've met have seemed to be lovely. So let's judge them on their fruits and not on daft internet squabbles.

I'm not a Buddhist, btw, neither am I affiliated with the NKT. I did my Buddhist foundation course with a Gelug school.
    EvenThirdcazChaz
    Thank you, Tosh, for a reasonable post.

• Well @Tosh, it's very possible some NKT centers are much better (or worse) than others. That certainly is something to consider when reading the negatives.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited October 2013
    MaryAnne said:

When a religious group (of any kind), no matter how large or small, breaks away from the mainstream teachings of it's core religion, for any reason, it is by definition a "cult".

When a (religious) group requires very strict adherence to behavioral 'rules' -not set forth by the religion itself - and requires the surrendering of member's material possessions or money to the group in order to be a member/student ... it is said to be a "cult".

The NKT hasn't broken away from 'mainstream teachings'. Apart from the Dorje Shugden thing (which was a Gelupa 'thing' in the past) you probably couldn't fit a cigarette paper between NKT teachings and Gelug (HH DL's mob). I did a two-year-foundation course ran by a Gelug school and I'm able to compare with what I hear at NKT lessons. I haven't heard any differences when it comes to their philosophy.

And I've never been asked to surrender material possessions or money; that's daft. What I suspect has happened is that some new monks - bitten by the first flush of dharma - has been over-zealous and tried to get people to renounce. I think it will just take a bit of time - if it's not already happened - for the sect to mature and calm down. Being under-fire from internet heroes doesn't help either.

I've tried to understand all the ins-and-outs as to why the NKT have fallen foul of HH DL and it sounds more political than spiritual.

You do know that the difference between a cult and a religion is about 200 years?

I'm a member of A.A. and some folk call that a cult too. I quite like the inferred kudos mind! :D
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited October 2013
    And what's that Buddhist teaching about how we can focus on one small negative area and then create out of it a warped picture of a whole? I'm sure it should have a name; I was such a poor student.

But I think that's what's happening here with regards the perception of some towards the NKT.

Just to repeat; I'm not affiliated with the NKT; I'm not even a Buddhist. But I've visited NKT classes many times - even helped organise local venues for them to teach at - and I've not witnessed anything I would class an untoward. Both monastics and lay Buddhists have been teachers at these classes.
    EvenThirdcaz
  • Tosh said:

MaryAnne said:

The NKT hasn't broken away from 'mainstream teachings'. Apart from the Dorje Shugden thing (which was a Gelupa 'thing' in the past) you probably couldn't fit a cigarette paper between NKT teachings and Gelug (HH DL's mob). I did a two-year-foundation course ran by a Gelug school and I'm able to compare with what I hear at NKT lessons. I haven't heard any differences when it comes to their philosophy.

And I've never been asked to surrender material possessions or money; that's daft. What I suspect has happened is that some new monks - bitten by the first flush of dharma - has been over-zealous and tried to get people to renounce. I think it will just take a bit of time - if it's not already happened - for the sect to mature and calm down. Being under-fire from internet heroes doesn't help either.

I've tried to understand all the ins-and-outs as to why the NKT have fallen foul of HH DL and it sounds more political than spiritual.

You do know that the difference between a cult and a religion is about 200 years?

I'm a member of A.A. and some folk call that a cult too. I quite like the inferred kudos mind! :D

@Tosh

Those two examples (you quoted from my post) of what people often consider "cults" were just that- general examples. I didn't say the NKT fit every one of the examples/criteria I listed...

Some people consider the Catholic Church a cult. And the Mormons (LDS) too.
    I was a practicing Pagan for more than 35 years... Many people would say I was in a 'cult' too. Who cares?

Cult is a very broad and varied term, no doubt about it.
    But there are generally accepted 'criteria' many people agree on when it comes to determining what constitutes a true "cult" or cult-like behaviors.

From the things I've read, *some* NKT groups *sometimes* get a check in the box next to several of those criteria /examples.
    Did the specific NKT group(s) you experienced fit that bill? I don't know... you're saying they didn't. OK, I believe you.
    But that doesn't mean I need to disbelieve everything else I've heard and read about other NKT members' experiences.

Sometimes, one man's "vicious rumor" is another man's "secret revealed".
  • MaryAnne said:

When any group requires singular "devotion" to a figure head, while discounting all other religious leaders (even of that same religion) as insignificant, or worse.... it is a cult.

When any religious group denies students/members from asking questions, reading any books not approved by the group leader, seeking information from other sects/leaders of the same religion, it is pretty much a cult.

Well, these three things aren't true as with regards the centre I visit frequently. There are many residents here, none of which have had to give up their money or material possessions.

There is certainly no requirement to singular devotion, but at the same time they are very heavily devoted to Kelsang Gyatso because that is their teacher - it's not a requirement, they choose to be in an NKT centre, why would you live in an NKT centre unless to be devoted to that particular path? No-one else is discounted. I talk openly about my interest in Zen Buddhism. I leave all sorts of different books lying around, and no-one has minded for a second. I've never once heard another religion or philosophy be put down or considered as insignificant, or worse. In fact, they simply recognise that everyone has their own unique karma.

NOT asking questions?! I have spent hours in this centre discussing and asking questions, and every single monk, nun and residents absolutely welcomes and encourages it. They emphasise very strongly that we should be asking questions and challenging the teachings. I read lots of different books around the centre, but I think the monks and nuns stick to NKT books, but again, why else would you become an ordained monk or nun in a tradition if not to study their particular teachings?

All of the above comes from impartial experience gained over 2 years of frequently visiting a centre for long periods of time. I have no in interest in NKT teachings, but I cannot deny what a wonderful community they have here, nor how kind and supportive the residents are. And what you have outlined above is simply false - at least for the centre I visit.
    caz
    The NKT have helped my practice and the ones I have experienced are friendly, open people not brainwashing cult members and I am certainly not a cult member.

When I attended NKT run events I was not told what to think but only to think about what they were teaching us about for ourselves. There was no culty atmosphere at all.

And just because they don't have a photo of the Dalai Lama in there centre or only sell books by GKG when there is nothing wrong with that.
  • vinlyn said:

So keep condemning those with a different opinion, and you'll succeed in convincing me it is a cult.

This is a very unintelligent chain of thought. If I kept saying that you were a rapist, and you kept denying you were a rapist, would it make sense for me to see your denial as proof that you were a rapist?
    caz
  • How much does it cost?
  • I can't quite remember. I think paid about £250 ish for the festival. £220 for my flight. £170 for my accommodation. Probably take about £200 for food / spending money (i'm there 9 days).

vinlyn said:

This is a very unintelligent chain of thought. If I kept saying that you were a rapist, and you kept denying you were a rapist, would it make sense for me to see your denial as proof that you were a rapist?
    Sooner or later, you always seem to cross a line. Which is what I was concerned about in another of your threads.

MaryAnneThePensum
  • vinlyn said:

vinlyn said:

Sooner or later, you always seem to cross a line. Which is what I was concerned about in another of your threads.

Ha! Who draw the lines?
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I've just had a google to see if Zen is a cult, and yep, the internet says it is. I see there's quite a few sexual predators in there who teach it too; and these are from mainstream media sources, not silly internet blogs.

I don't have any experience of Zen though, so I'll keep an open mind about it.

EvenThirdcaz
  • Tosh said:

I've just had a google to see if Zen is a cult, and yep, the internet says it is. I see there's quite a few sexual predators in there who teach it too; and these are from mainstream media sources, not silly internet blogs.

I don't have any experience of Zen though, so I'll keep an open mind about it.

Good lad!
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    I am not a Tibetan Buddhist (or indeed any sort of Buddhist anymore) so I don't have a dog in this fight but I can't help thinking that every time the NKT are mentioned the discussion descends into "its a cult", "oh no its not" pantomime. Is this kind of conversation really helpful or is it the kind of thing that reinforces a bunker mentality and makes it more likely for the NKT members to feel persecuted and cut off from the rest of the Buddhist world? Abuses need to be exposed and given the full attention of the law but sniping due to internal politics and personal prejudices is just entrenching the situation. I have never been a member of the NKT and have only occasionally visited their courses and classes but I don't see any other Buddhist organisations getting off their collective backsides and making the dharma accessible to people who are obviously crying out for it. I left the FPMT because all I got was "when you are ready the teacher will appear" followed rapidly by "not that teacher! he runs a cult" when a teacher did appear nearby. If you are going to criticise an organisation then I would find it more justifiable if you did at least as much for the community as the organisation you are railing against. But then again, the overwhelming impression I got from my experience of Buddhism in the UK is that it is predominantly for wealthy middle-class people in the major cities and not for the likes of me who live in poor working class towns.
    ToshEvenThird
  • ZenBadger said:

I am not a Tibetan Buddhist (or indeed any sort of Buddhist anymore) so I don't have a dog in this fight but I can't help thinking that every time the NKT are mentioned the discussion descends into "its a cult", "oh no its not" pantomime. Is this kind of conversation really helpful or is it the kind of thing that reinforces a bunker mentality and makes it more likely for the NKT members to feel persecuted and cut off from the rest of the Buddhist world? Abuses need to be exposed and given the full attention of the law but sniping due to internal politics and personal prejudices is just entrenching the situation. I have never been a member of the NKT and have only occasionally visited their courses and classes but I don't see any other Buddhist organisations getting off their collective backsides and making the dharma accessible to people who are obviously crying out for it. I left the FPMT because all I got was "when you are ready the teacher will appear" followed rapidly by "not that teacher! he runs a cult" when a teacher did appear nearby. If you are going to criticise an organisation then I would find it more justifiable if you did at least as much for the community as the organisation you are railing against. But then again, the overwhelming impression I got from my experience of Buddhism in the UK is that it is predominantly for wealthy middle-class people in the major cities and not for the likes of me who live in poor working class towns.

Goal of the season contender this! 35 yards out, top corner, curled past the keepers out reached glove... scintillating stuff!
  • I can't quite remember. I think paid about £250 ish for the festival. £220 for my flight. £170 for my accommodation. Probably take about £200 for food / spending money (i'm there 9 days).

Thanks for the information. I couldn't seem to get that from the website without giving a lot of personal details.

Cheaper than EuroDisney at that price . Is it similar to a retreat or more like a rock festival? Hard to gauge from the infomercial.

One man's cult is another man's orthodoxy, don't you think? And there are crooks and predators everywhere. The trick is to learn to trust your own instincts and go with what feels right for you. Especially if money is involved.
    ToshMaryAnne
  • poptart said:

I can't quite remember. I think paid about £250 ish for the festival. £220 for my flight. £170 for my accommodation. Probably take about £200 for food / spending money (i'm there 9 days).

Thanks for the information. I couldn't seem to get that from the website without giving a lot of personal details.

Cheaper than EuroDisney at that price . Is it similar to a retreat or more like a rock festival? Hard to gauge from the infomercial.

One man's cult is another man's orthodoxy, don't you think? And there are crooks and predators everywhere. The trick is to learn to trust your own instincts and go with what feels right for you. Especially if money is involved.
    The whole talk of 'cult' is just daft. It has become a meaningless concept. Whereas once it may have had a definition, now it is just an emotive word used to disparage others, and it is effective too. We need calm objectivity, and we need to take into account all sides.
    Tosh
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

The whole talk of 'cult' is just daft. It has become a meaningless concept. Whereas once it may have had a definition, now it is just an emotive word used to disparage others, and it is effective too. We need calm objectivity, and we need to take into account all sides.

From the all knowing wikipedia! Have to say I agree :)
    Because of the increasingly pejorative use of the words "cult" and "cult leader" since the cult debate of the 1970s, some academics, in addition to groups referred to as cults, argue that these are words to be avoided.[48][49]

Catherine Wessinger (Loyola University New Orleans) has stated that the word "cult" represents just as much prejudice and antagonism as racial slurs or derogatory words for women and homosexuals.[50] She has argued that it is important for people to become aware of the bigotry conveyed by the word, drawing attention to the way it dehumanises the group's members and their children.
    Toshcaz

Anyway @mindatrisk are you going to the festival If you can it would be very worthwhile Geshe-la is giving teachings on the Prajnaparamita from his revised Book New Heart of Wisdom. It will be a wonderful time I wish I was going to see him. :)
  • caz said:

Anyway @mindatrisk are you going to the festival If you can it would be very worthwhile Geshe-la is giving teachings on the Prajnaparamita from his revised Book New Heart of Wisdom. It will be a wonderful time I wish I was going to see him. :)
    I am indeed!
    vinlyn said:

As if I wouldn't get condemned for calling the DL a cult leader.

But it is absolutely fine to call the NKT a cult.

It is not a cult; full stop, end of.
    TheEccentric, now there's a post I can respect. You have stated your view that it's not a cult. That's cool. But you don't take away someone else's right to decide for themselves. Now as to "full stop, end of"...well, good luck on that.
    Not saying it's definitive, but it is interesting:

http://buddhismnewkadampa.wordpress.com/
    MaryAnnepoptart
    vinlyn said:

Not saying it's definitive, but it is interesting:

http://buddhismnewkadampa.wordpress.com/

http://www.newkadampatruth.org/
    That's fine Caz, and I did read it. And only demonstrates my point -- that there are two sides to the issue.
    Chaz
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    vinlyn said:

That's fine Caz, and I did read it. And only demonstrates my point -- that there are two sides to the issue.

And that is too true.

My understanding of the issues surrounding NKT and HHDL are almost entirely based on a particular protector practice and the HH's repudiation of it. That's fine, HH can do as he pleases. However, this is purely a Gelug matter and being a Kagyupa, myself, it is of absolutely no concern to me - none of my business. If the DL wants to repudiate Dorje Shugden that's fine, but I am under no obligation to do anything with or about that repudiation. Now, if the Karmapa was to come out with somethingm, that would be a different matter, but other factors then come into play. Even if I was a Gelugpa I am still under no particular obligation to HH. Some years back, HH made some rather "unfortunate" statements regarding GLBT Buddhists. Had I been a Gelugpa at the time, I would not have abided by the DL's statements and if asked would have repudiated them as uninformed, ignorant, fundamentalism. Fortunately I am not in a position where that is necessary.

So if I want to read NKT texts or go to NKT centers, it's entirely up to me and I can and will decide based on standards that suit me and not a bunch of Tibetan Buddist drama.

Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    So is Zen a cult then or what?
  • Tosh said:

So is Zen a cult then or what?

I hear they cut cats in half and chop off people's fingers.