Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Urgent! - Animal Rescue Needs Rescue!

PalzangPalzang Veteran
edited October 2006 in Sanghas
In the time I have been coming to this forum, I have made many new and interesting friends. I respect and value each and every one of you highly. I am asking you to take a moment to read this because I want you to know about a special project I am directly involved in that is very dear to my heart and is of an urgent nature.

It is about saving the lives of dogs and cats from being euthanized unnecessarily, as well as helping to rescue animals from disaster situations, such as Hurricane Katrina.

As you may know, the temple I belong to , Kunzang Palyul Choling, set up an animal sanctuary for this very purpose right after Hurricane Katrina, and our group rescued over 150 dogs and cats from New Orleans (that's a whole other story!), reuniting or adopting out almost all of them by the following spring.

We have expanded our mission to include creating a dependable staging ground for taking in animals that are set to be killed in overpopulated shelters across the state of Arizona, so that we give them a chance to be fostered or adopted by a loving home. Did you know that over 30,000 unwanted or abandoned pets were euthanized in the Phoenix area alone last year?

The animal sanctuary we have created is called Tara's Babies Animal Welfare and it is situated on 148 secluded acres of pristine wilderness land in eastern Arizona call Dakini Valley (for more information go to
http://www.tara.org ).

Unfortunately—and this is why I am writing you with some real urgency, and I hope that you might help—money has come due, and we will not allow this land to be lost. It is precious, sacred, and useful to sentient beings. We are commited to saving this land, and we have to act now.

I am asking all of you
, whoever might be able to help, to go to http://www.tarasbabies.org/content/section/11/38/ to make a secure online donation so that this compassionate work can be continued in a big way. If you would prefer to give by check please send your contribution to Tara's Babies, PO Box 1142, Sedona, AZ 86339, marking the Memo Line: Secure the Lands! Of course, all donations are tax deductible.

Another way you can help is to tell your friends and family who care about the welfare of dogs and cats. We must secure this land now! At this writing, approximately $400,000 of the $600,000 is pledged but that is based on real estate sales closing quickly. Anything you can do to help at this time is so gratefully appreciated by us and on behalf of animals everywhere!

You have my promise that your donations will be used to save the land and animals’ lives now and for future generations.

With humble thanks,

Palzang

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Thank you for telling us about this, Palzang. May my very small contribution be of some benefit and, perhaps, encourage others to do the same.

P.S. Proof-reading needed on site LOL
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Yes, I know, Simon (planing?). It's one of my million other jobs I'll get to some day... :eek2:

Thanks for the donation!

Palzang
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Not much - but done, my friend.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Thanks, bf. Believe it or not, it's the small donations that really make this work. I'm confident we'll make it, and your generosity is actually more important than the size of the donation. Thanks all!

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    Palzang...consider it done. I don't have much, but I hope it helps. I am going to my yoga studio this Sunday for a Meditation Class and I will mention this to the Yoga Instructor. She is really into helping animals, and I am sure she will help spread the word. Actually, I will email her right now.

Kim
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    That's great, YM! Thanks!

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    I just emailed your message out to friends and family as well. Please keep us posted on this. What a wonderful thing your temple is doing.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Palzang,
    done my bit, and also posted your request on other fora I am a member of, in the hope that more people will become aware of the appeal. I hope this is OK by you.. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    That's great, Padawan! Please feel free to tell everyone you know. That's called "viral marketing." I sent out e-mails to various friends and acquaintances, and I'm blown away by how many people they've forwarded it to. Even if we don't get a dime from them, at least the connection will have been made, and ultimately that's far more valuable. It's really amazing to watch this whole thing unfold. So far we've raised about $500,000, and considering we had zero just a week ago, I'd call that downright amazing!

Palzang
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited October 2006
    That's wonderful news, Palzang! :D
  • edited October 2006
    That is great news, Palzang! I went to the Sunday Morning Satsang at the Yoga Studio and mentioned it to everyone there, so hopefully, that will help you out as well.

Keep us posted!

Kim
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    That's really good, YM. Latest news is we're closing in on $600,000 with a lot of mail donations still on the way. And the word is still spreading, as you pointed out.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Just an update - even though we haven't quite hit $600,000 yet, it does look like we have enough to keep the land. We just have to work out the details of getting the real estate being sold into a form that the creditor will accept, but we've got a good lawyer working on it. Of course, the doggies still need to be fed, so if anyone still feels like helping out, we can always use it! Thanks everyone!

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Palzang - even if your money worries were completely and utterly over - I would still send you a donation. Keep at it....
    From what you tell me, the ground is a special place, I'm delighted things are on the up.....
  • edited October 2006
    That's wonderful news, Palzang. I am glad you will be able to keep the land! You guys really are doing such a wonderful thing!!! Thank you for taking such good care of all those animals!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Another update from Maryland: we're still about $32,000 short for what we need. We're working with the person who holds the mortgage, but we could still use some help. Even more critical, however, is the situation with our aviary for abused or abandoned pet birds, like cockatoos, parrots, etc. We had to move the aviary from Sedona to Maryland because the house where they were was being sold. They were temporarily housed in an old Army tent (a big one) at our temple there, but as it got colder they had to be moved into the temple to a space that was being remodeled as a music studio. We're in the process of building a concrete block building, and we really need a lot of donations to make it happen before winter sets in, about $100,000 worth. If you're interested, go to the aviary page, www.garudaaviary.org, where you can get more info and make a donation.

Thanks again for all your support! You've really contributed.

Palzang