Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Making the decision to be a lay follower or monk?

Hello all.

I have spent a large amount of time and energy reading the suttas and contemplating the dhamma. Through this contemplation I have gained a fair amount of insight into the teachings.

I understand now that to engage in this world is fruitless. Any action I take as a uninstructed worldling, like being "successful" is fruitless.

Graduating from college, getting the job I desire, having a family, enjoying time with my friends, eating fine food, ect ect, it will not last, it will not be satisfying, it will not lead to contentment.

What happiness I will gain in this life will be unsatisfactory and impermanent.

The shadow of suffering will always be present.

I will grow old, and I will die, and I know I will die unsatisfied, with regret that I did not go forth and became a monk.
That I wasted my precious time on this earth.

I am young, 21 years of age. The reason I have gone to college, was because it was expected of me. I feel a social pressure, from my family, from society do so.

However I am concerned. what will happen when I graduate college? The social pressures to join the work force, to hang out with friends, to raise a family, to do X, to do Y, will still be present. However at this later time it will be
worse. I will have more obligations, more fetters that are binding me to this world, keeping me from truly embracing the dhamma.

I am greatly afraid that, if I do not make the choice soon, that door will close. That it will no longer be possible (or much more difficult) to go forth and become a monk.

The only reason I continue to go to college, is the social pressure of my friends and family. I know that I should not base my life on what other people desires, it is about my desires, but I am stuck.

I know what I want to do. If I was not being pressured by my surroundings I will start to journey to become a monk, because anything less, anything the world can give me will not be satisfying.

May all beings be free from suffering!

Thank you all so much for taking the time out to read this, I know it is a long post.

Please advise me. Thank you!

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    First, do not assume that the life of a monk is an easy one, either. Different challenges, and particularly different depending on where you are located.

Second, life is long (for most of us). There's no hurry. Don't shut doors that will be difficult to reopen later. I would suggest finishing college so that the door to a profession, whatever it is, remains easily opened. The monkhood will always be there. Buddhism is not going to disappear in your lifetime. And I personally have known people who did not become a monk until they were over 40 years old and already had had a marriage and family.

A couple of things to consider. You say that being successful is fruitless. I guess it depends on how you are defining what is success, but I would put out to you that Siddhartha was successful.

Also, I am concerned about your statement that, "However I am concerned what will happen when I graduate college? The social pressures to join the work force, to hang out with friends, to raise a family, to do X, to do Y, will still be present. However at this later time it will be worse. I will have more obligations, more fetters that are binding me to this world, keeping me from truly embracing the dhamma." It is up to you whether you allow social pressures to interfere with embracing the Dhamma. Use your own power to determine how much you will want to hang out with friends, etc.

Of course, if you are bound and determined to enter the monkhood, then do it. But I'm not clear what the hurry is. If Siddhartha could "found" (for wont of a better word) Buddhism when he was over 29 years old, my guess is you still have lots of time.

riverflowEnriqueSpainKundo
  • You could certainly try going the monk route. The only thing stopping you is you. You will not be stuck as a monk. You are free to disrobe ,in fact I have read of many monks leaving to go live "normal lives". Though I have a feeling that your "fear of wasting your life " may pop up in your mind no matter which path you choose. Understanding Buddhism should allow you to go to college and get a job and hang out with friends all peacefully and without regret. Or may be I should say practicing Buddhism since you have to implement your understanding into action for it to be of use. It seems you are going through the same worries we all go through at your age.
    Take it from someone who had no opportunities growing up. You are blessed to be able to get an education. Maybe wait until you finish college to make such a bold decision.
    Btw it's all in your head...
    riverflowChazKundoAjin
  • I would finish college first and maybe become a highly educated monk later.
    riverflowvinlyn
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I know what I want to do.

So do it!

:om:
  • So you think you're destined to be a Monk?

Wait for the next big break or take a semester off and go for a long Buddhist retreat. Many organization and centers offer them. Experience what it's like to sit on the cushion, chant, do menial labor and not talk all day, every day, for a few weeks or months.

It seems like you have a good grasp on Buddhist theory but trust me, that has little to do with the actual practice of Buddhism. Being in the same room with the same people most of the time and following a tightly regimented routine is something you can't even begin to imagine from the comfort of your home. Only after you actually do some serious Practice, will you be able to make the decision about whether that's your cup of tea or not.

riverflowChazKundo
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2013
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that "to engage in this world is fruitless." Even though all conditioned things are subject to change and dissolution, engaging the world can be fruitful depending on how you approach that interaction. A more 'enlightened mind' can make the world a more enlightened place, and we can approach worldly affairs with skillfulness and wisdom, making our engagement part of our practice. While living a worldly can make the eightfold path more difficult for us to follow because we get so caught up in our defilements, one can live a worldly life and have a fruitful practice. The two are not mutually exclusive. That said, living in a monastic setting can make the path easier by giving one more time to focus on it along with the added support of a contemplative community to keep us motivated and give us guidance; but that in and of itself doesn't mean we won't get caught up in our defilements behind temple walls. If you choose to ordain, @PerplexedOne, that's great. And if you don't, that's OK too since you can still practice and benefit the world by engaging it.
    riverflowEvenThirdLinc

So you think you're destined to be a Monk?

Wait for the next big break or take a semester off and go for a long Buddhist retreat. Many organization and centers offer them. Experience what it's like to sit on the cushion, chant, do menial labor and not talk all day, every day, for a few weeks or months.

It seems like you have a good grasp on Buddhist theory but trust me, that has little to do with the actual practice of Buddhism. Being in the same room with the same people most of the time and following a tightly regimented routine is something you can't even begin to imagine from the comfort of your home. Only after you actually do some serious Practice, will you be able to make the decision about whether that's your cup of tea or not.

Best advice yet...except that it should be a minimum of 2 months.

• Here is a passage that inspires me.
    To me, it speaks about awakening in the wide world.
    Shrinking the world down to grounds of a monastery to live with a small group of men looks like prison. A waste of youth.
    I'm sure it's not for those who are suited to it.

Essentials of Mind

Yuanwu (1063-1135)

When the founder of Zen came to China from India, he did not set up written or spoken formulations; he only pointed directly to the human mind. Direct pointing just refers to what is inherent in everyone: the whole being appearing responsively from within the shell of ignorance. It is not different from the sages of time immemorial. That is what we call the natural, real, inherent nature, fundamentally pure, luminous and sublime, swallowing and spitting out all of space, the single solid realm alone and free of the senses and objects.

With great capacity and great wisdom, just detach from thought and cut off sentiments, utterly transcending ordinary conventions. Using your own inherent power, take it up directly right where you are, like letting go your hold over a mile high cliff, freeing yourself and not relying on anything anymore, causing all obstruction by views and understanding to be thoroughly removed. Become like a dead person without breath, and reach the original ground, attaining great cessation and great rest, which the senses fundamentally do not know and which consciousness, perception, feelings, and thoughts do not reach.

After that, in the cold ashes of a dead fire, it is clear everywhere; among the stumps of dead trees everything illumines: then you merge with solitary transcendence, unapproachably high. Then there is no more need to seek mind or seek Buddha: you meet them everywhere and find they are not obtained from outside.

The hundred aspects and thousand facets of perennial enlightenment are all just this: it is mind, so there is no need to still seek mind; it is Buddha, so why trouble to seek Buddha anymore? If you make slogans of words and produce interpretations on top of objects, then you will fall into a bag of antiques and after all that never find what you are looking for.

This is the realm of true reality where you forget what is on your mind and stop looking. In a wild field, not choosing, picking up whatever comes to hand, the obvious meaning of Zen is clear in the hundred grasses. Indeed, the green bamboo, the clusters of yellow flowers, fences, walls, tiles, and pebbles use the teaching of the inanimate; rivers, birds, trees, and groves expound suffering, emptiness, and selflessness. This is based on the one true reality, producing unconditional compassion, manifesting uncontrived, supremely wondrous power in the great jewel light of nirvana.
    shadowleaver
  • Thank you everyone for your advice. I am going to investigate further.
    I'd like to ask another question.

You say you are 21. How far along in college are you?
  • I am going to investigate further.
    Go to bed earlier. Get up earlier. Meditate.
    Repeat until enlightened. No further investigation. :wave:
    EvenThirdbookworm
  • The opportunity to become a monk is rare indeed.
    Seize the moment. This moment may not present itself again.

I know many Buddhists who wishes to ordain but cant.
    They are saddled with responsibilities, mortgages, kids, etc.

There are many great monks who ordained at a young age
    eg Ajahn Brahm and Sumedho.

Go for it.
    Even if things do not work out, you can always
    treasure what you have learnt and guess what.

You can still rejoin the rat race.

Hello all.

I have spent a large amount of time and energy reading the suttas and contemplating the dhamma. Through this contemplation I have gained a fair amount of insight into the teachings.

I understand now that to engage in this world is fruitless. Any action I take as a uninstructed worldling, like being "successful" is fruitless.

Graduating from college, getting the job I desire, having a family, enjoying time with my friends, eating fine food, ect ect, it will not last, it will not be satisfying, it will not lead to contentment.

The shadow of suffering will always be present.

I will grow old, and I will die, and I know I will die unsatisfied, with regret that I did not go forth and became a monk.
    That I wasted my precious time on this earth.

I am young, 21 years of age. The reason I have gone to college, was because it was expected of me. I feel a social pressure, from my family, from society do so.

However I am concerned. what will happen when I graduate college? The social pressures to join the work force, to hang out with friends, to raise a family, to do X, to do Y, will still be present. However at this later time it will be
    worse. I will have more obligations, more fetters that are binding me to this world, keeping me from truly embracing the dhamma.

I am greatly afraid that, if I do not make the choice soon, that door will close. That it will no longer be possible (or much more difficult) to go forth and become a monk.

The only reason I continue to go to college, is the social pressure of my friends and family. I know that I should not base my life on what other people desires, it is about my desires, but I am stuck.

I know what I want to do. If I was not being pressured by my surroundings I will start to journey to become a monk, because anything less, anything the world can give me will not be satisfying.

May all beings be free from suffering!

Thank you all so much for taking the time out to read this, I know it is a long post.

EvenThirdseeker242
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I understand now that to engage in this world is fruitless.
    Sounds more like nihilism than readiness to become a monk to me.

As I understand it, you can always decide to become a monk, but once you decide then you've made a commitment.

My suggestion with big decisions like that (especially non-pressing ones) is to let it roll around in the back of your head as an option and then see which way the world nudges you with opportunity.
    riverflowvinlynKundo
  • Going on a long retreat sounds like a good plan. You will soon know whether you have a vocation or not.
    riverflow
  • ysmaelysmael Explorer
    you can still practice buddhism or remain a buddhist even if youre not a monk. finish college. get a job that suits you best. have a family. do what you do best. and deal with life in balance and harmony. i think that is also buddhism :om:
    vinlyn
  • I don't mean to be argumentative, but I am a little curious. Every time someone posts here about wanting to become a monk, there is only discouragement, doubt, etc. Very few people actually say, "Hey, that's a great idea. Go ahead."

May I ask why?
    seeker242
  • Because it is often romantisized. The motives aren't always clear, especially when one states things like "engaging the world is fruitless"... Buddhist teachers will be just as scrutinizing.

For example:

http://magnoliagrovemonastery.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=115
    Vastmind
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Well, most of the people here are lay people. Net result-- they do not know enough about monk life. Nor do I. so, they recommend what they know. Lay life.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited October 2013
    betaboy said:

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I am a little curious. Every time someone posts here about wanting to become a monk, there is only discouragement, doubt, etc. Very few people actually say, "Hey, that's a great idea. Go ahead."

May I ask why?

I believe that the community here does not discourage becoming a monk, but rather, tries to remove the illusion that monastic life is a breeze and will completely satisfy you.

The members here are more about caution and making sure you are doing it for the right reason. I think it is also about making sure that the person has reasonable expectations of the monastic life.
    riverflowKundo
    betaboy said:

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I am a little curious. Every time someone posts here about wanting to become a monk, there is only discouragement, doubt, etc. Very few people actually say, "Hey, that's a great idea. Go ahead."

May I ask why?

1. Because when young we are often prone to unwise decisions...especially about timing. For example, the OP is 21 and in college. His situation may be different, but most 21 year olds in college are halfway or more through their 4 years. What's the hurry? Well, the hurry is youth, and that's not always a wise reason to hurry. If a person is going to live 70 years, is 49 years as a monk going to do more for him or others than 48 years as a monk? Probably not.

2. When I was young, I wanted to be a priest. And it's amazing to me how many people I have known in my life who have gone into a convent or a seminary, and then left after discovering it was not for them. Again, youth called.

I don't think people are saying don't become a monk. I think people are saying to just slow down a bit. There's no rush.

Chazriverflow
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    What was the name of that movie where the guy puts on black sunglasses which allow him to see lizards disguised as human beings everywhere and bill board signs that say OBEY, OBEY behind the pictures, anyway attaining enlightenment is the most important thing in life

Having a great career and making lots of money and having a family of your own just keeps you stuck in samsara more .
    Most of us who are recommending caution are not saying don't become a monk. We are simply saying finish college and use that time to decide.

But, my sense is that you aren't really asking for advice, but rather you are asking for agreement in a decision you've already made. Which is okay...as long as you recognize that there is a difference.
    ChazKundo
  • I have read somewhere in Milinda Panha that lay person have a capability to realise Nibbana and attain Arhatship. As far as I understand, becoming monk increases your probability of achieving Arhatship.

So, if you are deciding anything keep one thing in mind that your actions should be in thoughtfully deliberated and not taken in obsession. Remember you are not going on adventure, becoming monk is serious commitment both socially and spiritually. And still you reach at same conclusion then Best of Luck.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Disclaimer: I am a Lay person and have not spent many consecutive days at
    the monastery. I have spent at least every week-end, during the
    past summer. and then some .....

Yes, it's alot of housework. I see it. I appreciate it.
    I also know from experience what mindfulness and dedication means
    when you are responsible for all that work. It's not romantic. hahahah
    Keeping up with not only the physical labor, but the organization skills
    and the community that it takes to keep it all going peacefully is something
    I admire....... With extra disciplines thrown in, haha

I always say...I signed up in the householder line, but if anyone
    feels strongly.....go forth. Just know....they are serious there. And you should
    be too. If that's what you decide. Be ready.
    riverflowChaz
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited October 2013
    vinlyn said:

Most of us who are recommending caution are not saying don't become a monk. We are simply saying finish college and use that time to decide.

But, my sense is that you aren't really asking for advice, but rather you are asking for agreement in a decision you've already made. Which is okay...as long as you recognize that there is a difference.

I have to agree fully with Vinlyn on both points.

Taking robes is not something you should rush into. Make your decision carefully.

Finish school. You'll be of greater use to your monastery with a full education.

I love stories. Reggie Ray was in graduate school working on a PhD when he approached his Guru, Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche about abandoning his studies and working with Rinpoche full-time. Rinpoche ordered him back to school saying that Ray would be more valuable to him and the mandala with his doctorate than without. Ray complied and it was a good thing he did.

Consider doing graduate school at a university that supports your aspiration. Naropa in Boulder CO comes to mind and in addition to studies that match your aspirations, there are also two disrobed lamas on staff - Lama Sarah Harding and Acharya Lama Tenpa Gyaltsen. Both are excellent teachers and could offer valuable counsel with your aspiration to take up robes.

You can also go on extended retreats where temporary vows can be taken and you can live as monks do for weeks, months and even a year or more if you desire. You can see what the life is like and decide based on that. Or you can go on a traditional 3-year retreat if you can see your way clear

You might also consider that the begining of the path is the heart of renunciation. You don't have to enter a monastery to have or cultivate that.

riverflowvinlynEvenThird
    lobster said:

Romance and reality. Experience and maturity.

I gave up my job to start the process of becoming a monk. Within a week the romantic notions had gone. I confided that I was not happy and it was suggested I give it another week. I left after three weeks. Not for me. Too much like prison, which ironically is were I got a job on leaving . . .

Others are well suited, it can be a very confined, focussed and exaggerated life style. Most monks are not enlightened, there are no guarantees. Many are extremely virtuous and inspiring.

It might be for you. It might not. If you can not practice in your present situation . . . start the process . . .

You can go on retreats, which I have done and practice intensely, which some here do. That provides insight. If you ask a good teacher to join their monastery, they will probably advise retreats in holidays and finishing studies to start with. They probably have sufficient uneducated drop out monks . . .

Does the OP even have a meditation practice in place?

Nice, good, well-written post.

Very key phrases: "it can be a very...exaggerated life style. Most monks are not enlightened, there are no guarantees."

riverflow
    betaboy said:

May I ask why?

My thoughts exactly!

Chaz
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Also, I can think of a couple fellas that we/I were really happy for when
    they shipped out.....hahahaha. IMO...their circumstances just seemed right
    and they seemed to have had alot of hours into it, so.....we even had little
    good-bye threads. .....right? :)
    riverflowYishai
    poptart said:

Because we're not talking about taking a holiday at DisneyWorld. It would be irresponsible to encourage someone to take such a serious step without a lot of soul searching.

I don't think it would be irresponsible. :) If a person took such a serious step, even if they weren't ready, it would still be a very good learning experience for the person regardless if they are ready or not. Making mistakes are a very good learning opportunity. Some of the best kind actually. Trying to prevent someone from making a mistake, especially when no real harm can come from it, is almost like trying to deprive them of a very valuable learning experience! It would seem to me to be irresponsible to try to deprive them of that opportunity. I also wonder why do people automatically jump to the conclusion that a lot of soul searching has not already been done? What basis is there for such assumptions? I can't see any basis for that!

bookworm
  • @Perplexedone may well have done serious soul searching. What he has not done is experienced the things he is writing off as unsatisfying and not resulting in contentment. Those things he listed are impermanent for sure. And they may not result in enlightenment either. Both those downsides also apply to ordination.
    Satisfaction and contentment can result from raising a family, having good friends and a career.
    Many people have died happy after a life well lived. Having had many experiences good and bad.
    And wisdom can be gained along the way.
    Raising successful children is a sacrifice for the benefit of mankind. And it can be satisfying and joyful.
    In my view the reasons for ordination should probably not include seeking satisfaction and contentment. In fact those thing might be considered a hindrance to a successful career as a monk.
    riverflowKundoChaz
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    What he has not done is experienced the things he is writing off as unsatisfying and not resulting in contentment.
    This ^^
    vinlynriverflow
    robot said:

@Perplexedone may well have done serious soul searching. What he has not done is experienced the things he is writing off as unsatisfying and not resulting in contentment. Those things he listed are impermanent for sure. And they may not result in enlightenment either. Both those downsides also apply to ordination.
    Satisfaction and contentment can result from raising a family, having good friends and a career.
    Many people have died happy after a life well lived. Having had many experiences good and bad.
    Raising successful children is a sacrifice for the benefit of mankind. And it can be satisfying and joyful.
    In my view the reasons for ordination should probably not include seeking satisfaction and contentment. In fact those thing might be considered a hindrance to a successful career as a monk.

Ok. :) I see it differently. I don't think one needs to experience all the unsatisfying things in order to know they will be unsatisfying. For example, I have never experienced being a millionaire. But because I know money can't buy happiness, I know that just being a millionaire will not bring any satisfaction to me. I already know that it would ultimately be unsatisfying, therefore there is no reason to pursue it to begin with. I don't need to be a millionaire first to discover that. Not finding happiness in worldly things is not a bad thing IMO. It's a good thing because all 5 skandhas are dukkha and basing your happiness on any part of the 5 skandhas will always and forever be dukkha producing in the end. It is a recipe for more rebirth and more suffering. It's a great benefit to be able to see this ahead of time. It's technically a "right view" to be able to see that. It's the first noble truth. For some people satisfaction can come from having a nice family and a nice career. But it's still worldly satisfaction and some people do not find worldly satisfaction to be satisfying. If they were satisfied, they would feel no need to become a monk to begin with. The way I see it, ordination is for those who can see there is really nothing better to do. That's how I see it anyway.

• robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2013
    seeker242 said:

robot said:

@Perplexedone may well have done serious soul searching. What he has not done is experienced the things he is writing off as unsatisfying and not resulting in contentment. Those things he listed are impermanent for sure. And they may not result in enlightenment either. Both those downsides also apply to ordination.

Ok. :) I see it differently. I don't think one needs to experience all the unsatisfying things in order to know they will be unsatisfying. For example, I have never experienced being a millionaire. But because I know money can't buy happiness, I know that just being a millionaire will not bring any satisfaction to me. I already know that it would ultimately be unsatisfying, therefore there is no reason to pursue it to begin with. I don't need to be a millionaire first to discover that. Not finding happiness in worldly things is not a bad thing IMO. It's a good thing because all 5 skandhas are dukkha and basing your happiness on any part of the 5 skandhas will always and forever be dukkha producing in the end. It is a recipe for more rebirth and more suffering. It's a great benefit to be able to see this ahead of time. It's technically a "right view" to be able to see that. It's the first noble truth. For some people satisfaction can come from having a nice family and a nice career. But it's still worldly satisfaction and some people do not find worldly satisfaction to be satisfying. If they were satisfied, they would feel no need to become a monk to begin with. The way I see it, ordination is for those who can see there is really nothing better to do. That's how I see it anyway.

Yes, but can those people see that becoming a monk is equally empty of meaning and satisfaction? Or are they seeking something where there is nothing to be had?
    vinlynriverflowKundoInvincible_summer
    robot said:

Yes, but can those people see that becoming a monk is equally empty of meaning and satisfaction?

I would think probably not because devoting your life to only practicing the dharma is not empty of meaning and is ultimately satisfying if you stick with it to the end, follow the 8FP properly, etc.

• seeker242 said:

robot said:

Yes, but can those people see that becoming a monk is equally empty of meaning and satisfaction?

I would think probably not because devoting your life to only practicing the dharma is not empty of meaning and is ultimately satisfying if you stick with it to the end, follow the 8FP properly, etc.

Does a monk practice dharma outside of the 5 skandhas? I've seen a lot of monks. They don't look any more satisfied than anyone else. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but they are in the world like me. And it's not like they are out serving people. For the most part their main service seems to be giving people a chance to make merit by giving them alms.
    I have no problem with that whole system. I guess I haven't been close enough to any to see for myself that their path increases the odds of enlightenment enough to justify giving up a full life in the world.
    And I'm not convinced that devoting your life to practice must exclude everything else to be ultimately satisfying. Call me from your deathbed to compare notes.

• seeker242 said:

I also wonder why do people automatically jump to the conclusion that a lot of soul searching has not already been done? What basis is there for such assumptions? I can't see any basis for that!

Because we are strangers on an internet forum. I don't know the OP from Adam. How can I know how much consideration they have given the issue? And having been asked my opinion I have to answer honestly. Unlike you I don't think giving up on education to join a monastery is just a learning experience.

vinlynKundo
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited October 2013
    I feel you. I have had the very same feelings. My advise is: Like some others said, go on retreats first. Start with a short stay and then work your way up to a long retreat in a monastery (at the very least a month, but best more) and then decide based upon that. You would not be the first, and you would not be the last, to give a lot of stuff up, rush into it only to find it is not the right thing for you. I don't want to discourage you. In fact, a retreat may even light your fire even more. But at least then you know sort of what you are dealing with.

Life in a monastery is.. well.. boring and very hard to bear for many people. Others thrive, though. You can do all the soul searching you can, but you won't know if you haven't tried. I've seen friends go both ways. Some are happy now, but others who really thought they were going to do it, turned back. And that can be hard if it turns out you don't like it. Not only practically (education and all) but also emotionally. So I admire your plans, but I'd advise to not rush them.

And, you don't have to rush. Because after years of desiring the same, and slowly working towards it, soon I'll go to a monastery where I can ordain. Patience I needed in those years has also been a good teacher for me. That experience I will take with me there. Also I learned to keep holding on. Finishing my education has been one of the best things in that period. I'm still happy I did it even if I may never use it. I got so much perseverance out of it. Perhaps you can do the same. So I guess what I want to say it, not every action is fruitless. You can learn many things in 'daily life' as well. Things that may even give you an edge in a monastery.

Good luck!
    lobsterriverflowVastmindvinlyn
    edited October 2013
    robot said:

Does a monk practice dharma outside of the 5 skandhas?

I would say no they just practice to be free of them. And the theory goes that it's easier to be free of them when your are not indulging in them.
    And it's not like they are out serving people
    I would disagree on that one. Just by being ordained sangha, they do a great service to people, IMO. They teach people the dharma, this is a great service IMO. :)
    enough to justify giving up a full life in the world.
    I guess that is where the difference is. For people with "monk karma" is no perception of a "full life in the world" to begin with. A life in the world is considered "an empty life". To a lot of these people, there is no such thing as a "full life in the world". And since worldly life is empty life, they really aren't giving up anything significant to begin with. People who become lifelong monks and stay monks, have generally already given up these things before even becoming monks. But of course not everyone has "monk karma"
    poptart said:

Unlike you I don't think giving up on education to join a monastery is just a learning experience.

I guess that is where we differ. :) I don't see it as giving up an education, I see it as getting an education. Just one that does not involve mathematics. And if it does not work out, there is nothing to prevent one to go back and continue learning mathematics. That is how I see it anyway.

EvenThirdhow
  • Hello all.

To 'engage' in this world is not fruitless but fruitful. You probably could not accept its impermanence. Then, of course ,if the fruits are painful, you'd not want them to be permanent.
    riverflow