Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting non-Buddhist quote from an old novel

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
I'm reading a 1940s novel that was a Pulitzer Prize winner and was later made into a movie starring Bette Davis and Olivia deHavilland -- "In This Our Life". I ran across an interesting quote in it today:

""Were people always as flighty as they are now?" she asked. "Or is it only that nothing is private any longer?"

"Perhaps they had other excitements. Religion, for example, and whether they would be saved or damned in eternity."

"My father used to say that when the world got rid of hell, it would regret it only once, and that would be always."

"I wonder. Wouldn't a belief in humanity serve the same purpose?"

"Not on your life!"

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2013
    I don't really understand this. Why would we be flighty because nothing is private? Does flighty mean an 'airhead'? Was that father saying that if religion got rid of hell there would be endless regret? And the protagonist asked if belief in humanity could provide an excitement. I am not sure if I am smart enough to understand, ha.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yes, I think the key sentence in the exchange was, ""My father used to say that when the world got rid of hell, it would regret it only once, and that would be always."