Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

giving and getting advice

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited October 2013 in General Banter
What do you think of advice -- whether giving or receiving?

One of the interesting aspects to me occurs right here on this Internet forum where, on occasion, someone may post a longish descriptive of some aspect of Buddhist practice. Often these descriptions are written at arm's length, as if the writer were capable of dispensing an understanding without being party to the difficulties presented. "Buddhism says..." or "Buddhists do..." one thing or another and by implication, the reader should follow in the writer's carefully-distanced directives.

And perhaps such directives are right on target. But what I find myself doing when reading such essays is wondering why the writer felt compelled to disgorge in the first place. And my perhaps-incorrect conclusion is that all advice is just what people are giving themselves ... under cover of giving it to someone else and concealed behind a 'Buddhist' label.

I don't see anything wrong with giving myself advice. I do it all the time ... as often as not with little effect. But I wondered what anyone else might think. How much of the advice dispensed to others is just a bit of advice to yourself? How much of the certainty is just a fig leaf for uncertainty? How much of a cover-up is involved in something called "Buddhism?"

Just chewing my cud here. Any thoughts?
VastmindInvincible_summerEvenThird

Comments

• I'd say about 99% of advice I give is for myself. Its practicing my ability to articulate in a new way to a new situation. I benefit tremendously from this. Language to me is an art form and the more i use it the better i get. Well thats debatable lol. I've long given up the notion that i can actually help people on a forum. People should be adults, make their own decisions and live with the consequences. And to take advice or in this case give advice is totally up to the individual.
    lobsterVastmindNeither
  • There is always a fair amount of posturing on internet forums. And often people don't really want advice but validation.

I was once stopped in the street and asked directions by a lost motorist looking for a particular hotel. When I told him the way he proceeded to argue with me that it couldn't be where I said because he'd just come from there! I think a lot of people react to advice the same way.
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Whether I give advice, usually depends on my mood.

Do I want to try to offer compassion and my best answer
    to this person? Can I be of benefit because of my experience?
    Can I listen deeply?
    lobsterInvincible_summerriverflow
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Genkaku
    A really good question.
    For me most of any advise i give is really just my re examination of my experience.
    Is it really still true and how am I practicing it?
    The lines between ourselves and others gets pretty blurry the closer you look.
    VastmindlobsterInvincible_summer
  • Giving and receiving advice typically comes across as an echo room where we just want to hear our own voice, to hear if it is wise, and to see that others have the same collective wisdom.

I think it is important that you can advise a person according to the individual, and that is what makes it so difficult on a forum. That is why it is always carefully-distanced directives or advice. The best counsel comes from ourselves though. We typically know what we need to do or what we should do. We just need someone else to say it.

Advice does not naturally come as question and answer. It comes in the form of conversation. And... conversations are quite difficult on a forum because the format is more like everyone-write-an-essay-at-each-other.

It is okay to have differing opinions and differing thoughts and to draw a line in the sand somewhere. Without other "unlike" minds, we would not know exactly where we stood. That should be appreciated.

My mind is a mess this morning.
    Invincible_summer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I try not to give advice but will share my perspective if asked.

The more ways to see something, the better the view...
  • how said:

@Genkaku
    A really good question.

:)
    Indeed.
    The only useful advise, is that which is heard and makes a difference. Most of the time we are not in a condition to hear or give advice. We are full of opinions, partial digestions, need for attention, unloading our wisdom/insight etc.

Then we (usual story) slow down, we have learned to listen to our arisings, so we recognise them in others. However . . . just reflecting back is not sufficient. We have to really listen to what our dharma brothers and sisters are saying and need to hear. This relates to something @Jeffrey mentioned about 'button pushing'. To give advice that is not heard, to provoke without the impact being gained from is wasted effort.

Most of us are too often heedless of the dharma all around but gradually we begin to listen, this in time enables the capacity of right speech . . . :wave:
    Vastmind
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    genkaku said:

How much of the advice dispensed to others is just a bit of advice to yourself?
    How much of the certainty is just a fig leaf for uncertainty?
    How much of a cover-up is involved in something called "Buddhism?"
    Just chewing my cud here. Any thoughts?

I think advice is communication, which is rooted in the interpretation of a personal condition / relationship.
    In the same vein, could it be asked, 'How much of any certainty is just a fig leaf for uncertainty?'.
    They exist because of a point of view which seems to lead back to the personal condition.
    I think therefore there's an overriding 'cover up', which may or may not excuse other employed fictions.
    Vastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2013
    How much of the advice dispensed to others is just a bit of advice to yourself? How much of the certainty is just a fig leaf for uncertainty? How much of a cover-up is involved in something called "Buddhism?"
    If advising yourself, then you are 'seeing an aspect or reflection of self in other'. In other words you are projecting yourself into another's being but in essence you are talking to yourself. You have not really even engaged in communication, let alone been capable of advising . . .
    This is where those of us being strongly opinionated, finding fault and generally sounding off are . . .
    This sort of behaviour is the certainty of the 'impeded by self'. There is limited knowledge because fluidity is only partially present. This is where we have, 'thus have I heard' Buddhism.

Then we come to internal experience, based on what we know. This is increasingly very little we can be sure of. It relates very much to another thread about 'letting go'.
    Eventually we start to say, 'this is how I experience or understand what you are saying'. This is still not genuine advice but is the capacity of the advanced practitioner and may therefore be taken as advise by those enabling their ability to listen . . . :wave:
  • I think the reason is that we know about ourselves through our experience even if it is just a reading. Just hearing someone ask a question we can't see through their eyes. And then sometimes someone is in a place roughly like yours. For example I know about addictions and mental illness so I have insight into that.
    lobster
  • I love advice. A Compassionate Constructive Contemplated Criticism is my best friend. I only wish I could give out what i'd like to recive. God knows I try.
    lobster
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I haven't read all the posts, but I'm active in helping other alcoholics stop drinking and stay sober, so I guess I do dish out advice on a regular basis; but we're kinda taught not to tell anyone what to do, we're only really meant to share from our own experience.

So if someone asks how to stop drinking, we wouldn't tell them 'a process', we'd share with them what we did to stop drinking.

It's an effective method for 'giving advice'. I even use the same technique with my teenage daughter. If I give her advice, she can end up on the defensive, but if I say, "Look, I've made mistakes and this was my experience of X, Y and Z...", she's more receptive to what I've got to say.

Jeffrey