Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bored at Work

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
What do you do when you're bored at work as an impulsive response?

I work on a PC in an office so usually undertake one of the following without even thinking about it:

1. Log on to NewBuddhist and reply to a topic or start a fairly dull discussion ;)
2. Check my personal gmail account
3. Check my smart phone even though I know no-one has messaged me!
4. Take a drink of water
5. Suck a mint

Comments

• 6. imdb.com
    robot
  • Nod out behind the wheel. (It's a boat)
    Bunks
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Sorry. Not possible to have the extra second to be bored. Yesterday I got a two-and-a-half minute lunch break. If it were first shift I coulda got by without that, but I need a little snack by five p.m. when working second.

I kinda envy you.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    When still working I was rarely bored...and our internet usage was passively monitored.

Funny story. I occasionally did some online shopping at work during my lunch break. One day looked up an old (don't laugh) Roy Rogers movie and a red screen appeared saying "X-rated content". Turned out the company that had restored the Roy Rogers filmed had also restored some very old adult films. Enough of shopping online from work -- a public school!
    KundoBunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2013
    One of my most interesting practice discovery's was working as a spec analyst in an engineering firm that didn't have enough work to keep us occupied. The job was part number transposing, part photo copying and part pretending that I shouldn't be laid off.

It was soooooooo tedious until discovering that if I could just surrender deeply enough into the boredom, then that moment could match any monastic retreat for it's meditative potential.
    Suffering with boredom became a lucid illumination of each new nano second.

Just a thought for the innumerable realities that each moment can be.
    Kundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Bunks said:

What do you do when you're bored at work as an impulsive response?

I work on a PC in an office so usually undertake one of the following without even thinking about it:

1. Log on to NewBuddhist and reply to a topic or start a fairly dull discussion ;)
    2. Check my personal gmail account
    3. Check my smart phone even though I know no-one has messaged me!
    4. Take a drink of water
    5. Suck a mint

6. Trawl through smh.com.au
    7. Hide in the server room

• I was going to say online poker . But maybe I shouldnt .
    Kundo
  • edited October 2013
    Boredom has great potential .Id suggest a couple weeks meditation retreat. You probably can never be bored if your mindfulness is working .Lots going on in the body and mind to occupy us . Or not to occupy but to be able to observe . I find when Im practicing I really never get bored . When I take a few beers etc then boredom comes because the mind is so dull . A sharply concentrated mind will never be bored . Guess I better get off the beers myself then .Cheers
    Bunks
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    How can one be bored? I don't get it...There is soo much one can do within their mind and body.
  • 8. Entertain trolls passing through.
    Nirvana
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    How can one be bored?

Easily: your "stuff" gets stale and you tire of it. I, for one, just simply cannot take my stuff to work with me. That's probably a good thing.
    Kundo
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I work in retail. If you get bored, there's really nothing you can do. :eek: