Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Which sects of Buddhism suggest it is possible to attain enlightenment within this life?

matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur BodhisattvaSuburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
Off the top of my head Shingon, and in the Theravada tradition they wrote about people becoming enlightened in one one life, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Comments

• Vajrayana is said to be like climbing right up the face of the mountain rather than circling gradually. Mahayana also teaches this. For example Milarepa and Padmasambava completed the task in their lifetimes.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Off the top of my head Shingon, and in the Theravada tradition they wrote about people becoming enlightened in one one life, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

So does that mean:
    1. It never really happened
    2. Something changed and it doesn't happen anymore
    3. It's happening and we just aren't aware of it
    anatamanBunksLoveWins
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    From my somewhat limited knowledge, most, if not all, Mahayana and Vajrayana schools say that it is possible to attain enlightenment in one lifetime. The way of the Boddhisattva, if you will.

As for Theravada, while I don't think many would deny that it could be possible to attain enlightenment in one lifetime, most would probably say that it is extremely difficult to do so. Especially if you are a layperson.
    matthewmartin
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    @vinlyn I'm no Theravada expert, but I get the feeling it had to do with dealing with false (or at least unverifiable) claims by monks. The vinaya has some rules about false claims of enlightenment. If a monk could claim they were Enlightened, who could verify? And would the monk be expecting a promotion for it? I imagine an Arahat (or Arahat-wanna-be) would be given more respect & rank, which would be rather disruptive for a sangha. That my modern explanation.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Vajrayana is said to be like climbing right up the face of the mountain rather than circling gradually. Mahayana also teaches this. For example Milarepa and Padmasambava completed the task in their lifetimes.

Yes, Milarepa achieved enlightenment even after chalking up some seriously negative karma - proof there is no karma that cannot be putified. FWIW, Milarepa practiced Mahamudra.

Padmasmbhava became a Buddha - or so they say.
    matthewmartin
  • Zen and Dzogchen/Mahamudra.

As for it not happening . . . The tradition within sangha is not to reveal arhatship. Within Zen the teaching is passed from one enlightened teacher to the next. I would suggest it is very common in this context.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2013

@vinlyn I'm no Theravada expert, but I get the feeling it had to do with dealing with false (or at least unverifiable) claims by monks. The vinaya has some rules about false claims of enlightenment. If a monk could claim they were Enlightened, who could verify? And would the monk be expecting a promotion for it? I imagine an Arahat (or Arahat-wanna-be) would be given more respect & rank, which would be rather disruptive for a sangha. That my modern explanation.

Yes, that's probably part of it. The attainment of awakening is generally downplayed in Theravada; and while there have been many in recent times who have been thought to have been arahants, very few have explicitly said so. Part of this is due to the Vinaya rule against falsely boasting about spiritual attainment, which is a very serious offense in the same category as killing a human being and is akin to stealing. From Thanissaro Bhikkhu's Buddhist Monastic Code I:
    The seriousness with which the Buddha regarded a breach of this training rule is indicated by his statements to the original instigators:
    "You worthless men, how can you for the sake of your stomachs speak praise of one another's superior human states to householders? It would be better for you that your bellies be slashed open with a sharp butcher's knife than that you should for the sake of your stomachs speak praise of one another's superior human states to householders. Why is that? For that reason you would undergo death or death-like suffering, but you would not on that account, at the break-up of the body, after death, fall into deprivation, the bad destination, the abyss, hell. But for this reason you would, at the break-up of the body, after death, fall into deprivation, the bad destination, the abyss, hell... Bhikkhus, in this world with its devas, māras, and brahmās, its generations with brahmans and contemplatives, princes and men, this is the ultimate great thief: he who claims an unfactual, non-existent superior human state. Why is that? You have consumed the nation's almsfood through theft."
    It also seems to be considered bad form to publicly announce one's level of attainment, whether true or not, although it happens from time to time (e.g., Ajahn Maha Boowa). From the Theravadin point of view, a person's level of spiritual attainment is generally best gleaned from spending a lot of time with them and observing them in action (AN 4.192).
    riverflowmatthewmartinlobstercvalue
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited October 2013
    The answer is not obvious, but even if it were another question should still be asked alongside: what does this tradition mean with enlightenment?

I mean in some spiritual groups "enlightenment" happens by the dozens, but their enlightenment is not something special. In other groups it may be rarer, but because their attainment has higher 'standards' so to say.

So in the end it will always come down to internal reflection. The only thing you can really know is if you are enlightened or not. What others claim or what others do doesn't matter. Training our own mind, that's what matters.
    lobsterpegembaraCinorjer
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Once you've taken the elements apart, though, there's nothing. These things lose their meaning on their own. They're simply physical and mental elements, without any illness or death. If you don't penetrate into things this way, you stay deluded and blind. For instance, when we chant "jara-dhammamhi" — I am subject to death — that's simply to make us mindful and uncomplacent in the beginning stages of the practice. When you reach the stage of insight meditation, though, there's none of that. All assumptions, all conventional truths get ripped away. They all collapse. When the body is empty of self, what is there to latch onto? Physical elements, mental elements, they're already empty of any self. You have to see this clearly all the way through. Otherwise, they gather together and form a being, both physical and mental, and then you latch onto them as being your self.

Once we see the world as elements, however, there's no death. And once we can see that there's no death, that's when we'll really know. If we still see that we die, that shows that we haven't yet seen the Dhamma. We're still stuck on the outer shell. And when this is the case, what sort of Dhamma can we expect to know? You have to penetrate deeper in, to contemplate, taking things apart.

When Conventional Truths Collapse
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/kee/readmind.html#truths
    howNirvanaCinorjer
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    genkaku said:

Within Zen the teaching is passed from one enlightened teacher to the next. I would suggest it is very common in this context.
    You might even call it a diploma mill.

As one point of view, I have to say that discussions about "enlightenment" and who's got it and who doesn't and who is recognized and who is not make my teeth itch and my bullshit-o-meter quiver. But that's just me.

One of the greatest gifts my Zen teacher, abbot of a monastery in Japan, gave me was this: Before his death, he never named a single Dharma heir. Talk about honesty!

But at the same time, a lot of people think that zen dharma transmission means that a person has attained enlightenment and become a Buddha. If one starts from this perspective, you're gonna have a bad time! When often all it means is the person has finished koan practice, or something like that, and attained a certain level of understanding of the way. An understanding that is good enough to be a teacher to others. Not necessarily the understanding that a Buddha would have! In other words, people who have seen the gateless gate, opened the gateless gate, but not necessarily passed through the gate. The idea that a zen master is some kind of Buddha is a wrong idea to begin with!

Chaz
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    The idea that a zen master is some kind of Buddha is a wrong idea to begin with!
    @seeker242 -- I've often thought that in order to see a Buddha, you would have to be one, and, since being a Buddha is not something anyone could escape, seeing one may be a bit of a waste of time, but not exactly "wrong."
    Sabre said:

The answer is not obvious, but even if it were another question should still be asked alongside: what does this tradition mean with enlightenment?

Just this evening (after I wrote the question) I was reading about the self-mummified monks of the Shingon (and esoteric schools from the mainland, too) who starved themselves & filled their bodies with arsenic and other bacteriostatic poisons, then sat in pits filled with salt and suffocated to death with the assistance of other monks.

It appears that when Kukai said you can attain enlightenment in this life, in this body, he mean through self mummification! I found the story horribly sad, it reminds me of the movie "A Scanner Darkly" where the main character in job as a undercover narcotic agent himself destroys his mind and body because that is what his job was and what he was being encouraged to do.

I'm still looking to see if Shingon sect changed their views after 1880 when the practice was outlawed.
  • Getting over oneself can be done here . . .
    http://www.liberationunleashed.com/

. . . then onward . . .
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I'm starting to think there are as many Buddhist sects as there are Buddhists but I'll give my two cents for what it's worth (Likely less than two cents).

I don't pretend to know how rebirth works or whether it's more a reincarnation deal but it makes sense to me that whatever it is that is reborn or reincarnates would be passed on like a kind of instinct. Once the right conditions have been harvested, we reap the benefits of awakening... Just as we reap the benefits of instinct or even opposable thumbs.

I suppose if the conditions were right, it could be possible to awaken without having to pass on but it's likely rare. It even took a few lifetimes for Buddha to manifest in what was passed on to Sidhartha as far as I understand.

This has little to do with the original question but there is one thing that perplexes me... Why out of all the infinite possibilities has nobody been born already awakened?

And if it ever happens once, how long until it becomes the norm?

I know it is ego speaking but I'd like to take a bite out of what Maitreya really is.
  • The realization coincident with becoming a bodhisattva is that you realize that all beings may become Buddhas. This is what my teacher said.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

The realization coincident with becoming a bodhisattva is that you realize that all beings may become Buddhas. This is what my teacher said.

I think it automatically sets in when we see past the self in a real way. Not only can we all realize Buddhahood, but there is no real separation between us and the historical Buddha. The same can be said of those we perceive to be the lowest of us but that is the beauty of it... It's also the biggest stumbling block I think.

ourself said:

Why out of all the infinite possibilities has nobody been born already awakened?

Because Samsara and Nirvana are inseperable.

To be a Buddha you must relize that suffering can cease that that there's a path to that cessation (nirvana), but first you must realize that there is suffering and that suffering is caused (samsara). The fact that you are born means that you aren't a Buddha ........ yet.

• Maybe someone has been born enlightened? I met a 8 year old boy on a flight. He asked me 'have you been asleep all your life?" I said yes and eyed him over. His father fingered a crucifix (cross) necklace as if that explained it.
    lobster said:

Getting over oneself can be done here . . .
    http://www.liberationunleashed.com/

Ah, so the problem of identifying the enlightened is solved, quoting from the site:
    Green - Ready, those who came here ready to end their search, to look, to see the reality of the absence of self.
    Blue- Liberated, those who have looked and seen that truth.
    Red- Liberated Guides that have helped someone to see the truth.
    I suppose that is light getting a critical mass of insightful's, awesome's and LOL's and BAM, you're forum-enlightened.

(I'm sure they are sincere, just mild joking here)

Chazlobster
  • edited October 2013
    Even if it takes many lifetimes, sooner or later it's going to occur during one of them if it's going to happen at all.

Even if it takes many lifetimes, sooner or later it's going to occur during one of them if it's going to happen at all.

LOL. I mean, like, if I signed up with program X, do the proponents even suspect one can find a sort of enlightenment, in this life, before one dies. I don't believe in the strong form of reincarnation, I don't think the weaker forms (rebirth?) are interesting, they are sort of like the non-personal god who was the un-moved mover, plausible, but not anything that I care about. I'm like the death row inmate in Camus' the Stranger, who tells the chaplain he is only interested in an afterlife where he can remember this this one. I feel sorry for the poor sot that will inherit my karma, but I can't identify with him any more than the next creature.

(Oh, and somewhere in the thread above someone said, "What's enlightenment?"-- I had in mind the 3rd noble truth, the episode where suffering ends, the state of existence the Buddha was in between enlightenment and parinirvanna)

In sum, I guess its the following:

Vajrayana -- yes, but you'll have to be a full time monk.
    Mahayana -- yes, you always were enlightened, you just haven't noticed or realized it. (Not sure how unrealized enlightenment helps me-- I had a jar of oregano on the top shelf for three years, didn't know I had it, didn't do me a bit of good.)
    Zen -- maybe, I never claim to understand zen, but they seem to imply that BAM, one day it will all be clear and from then on you're enlightened.
    Pure Land -- tough luck, it's not going to happen. But Amida Buddha will do it for you though, post mortem.
    Shingon -- yes, but you'll have to spend the last decade of your life starving so you will mummify. And that doesn't always work.
    Therevada -- maybe, you'll have to be a full time monk and you won't be allowed to comment on it should it happen. By the numbers though, it seems unlikely and uncommon on any familiar human scale. Unless the big numbers are just rhetorical flourishes. They might be.
    Historical Buddha -- (not a school, but say, what if we did exactly what he did) maybe, you'll have to sit under a tree for a night or so and either adopt the lifestyle of a wandering, begging bikkhu, or I supposed whatever the modern equivalent is.
    pommesetoranges
  • wrathfuldeitywrathfuldeity Veteran
    edited October 2013

Yup, it only takes 1 lifetime...question is which lifetime...its really only a matter of choosing when you want to do it...thus it does not even take a lifetime...just a moment. The problem is that folks wants you to prove it or show evidence or demonstrate by some miraculous event...such as blowing rainbows out of your arse...and that is just plain silly.

fwiw....idk which sects...but sex can be enlightening within this lifetime...and for that matter both Buddhist and Christians have a lot of sects.

• I had in mind the 3rd noble truth, the episode where suffering ends

It ends with the implementation of the 4th Noble Truth. There is then a series of action and areas of focus. Most of us are not ready to end suffering, we wish to play it out further or start tomorrow. In effect we are playing at Buddhism where, when and how it suits us. An imperfect dharma practiced with perfect intent will effect the outcome. Those of us who have travelled some slight distance already know the path is working . . . when we are . . .

:thumbsup:
    how
    edited October 2013
    Chaz said:

ourself said:

Why out of all the infinite possibilities has nobody been born already awakened?

To be a Buddha you must relize that suffering can cease that that there's a path to that cessation (nirvana), but first you must realize that there is suffering and that suffering is caused (samsara). The fact that you are born means that you aren't a Buddha ........ yet.

That makes sense I guess. But I wonder if newborns are enlightened then conditioned to delusion...

The o/p question seems to hinder on another... Is Buddha something to realize or something that must be inherited?

If conditions are right, I'm pretty sure anyone could awaken.

bookworm
    ourself said:

Chaz said:

ourself said:

That makes sense I guess. But I wonder if newborns are enlightened then conditioned to delusion...
    I might be mistaken, but I don't think so.

Birth is conditioned by karma, so it seems to me that we are born into a state of ignorance (1st Nidanna). A birth, so conditioned, precludes an enlightened state.

I think.
    The o/p question seems to hinder on another... Is Buddha something to realize or something that must be inherited?
    Your karma may be such that you will achieve Buddhahood in this lifetime. Shakyamuni's enlightenment was foretold after he was born. So, I guess you could say inherited, in a karmic sort of way, but you must achieve realization, too.
    If conditions are right, I'm pretty sure anyone could awaken.
    Yes, anyone could. We all have Buddha Nature.

• You don't have to be a monk in vajrayana. There are yogis including teachers who are not nuns or monks. My teacher was a nun, but she disrobed.
    matthewmartin
  • Pretty much all of Mahayana teaches that one can become enlightened in this life, including Pure Land. If you want to make things really simple, most schools that have a Chinese lineage also teach enlightenment in one lifetime. There are also Tibetan schools that teach this as well, though I find most Tibetan schools to be a mixture of both gradual and sudden methods/teachings.
    matthewmartin
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    My understanding may be flawed, but Tendai, with its central text being the Lotus Sutra, teaches that all possess Buddha Nature and thus have the potential for enlightenment in this lifetime.
    matthewmartin
    Only in Buddhism is the ultimate reward denied and 99.9 percent of the followers told they're not good enough to graduate from their lives of suffering
    Yes, the numbers are dodgy, but I have to remind myself that ancient writers wouldn't have necessarily had a good number-sense. If enlightenment was, say, like getting a college degree, then if it is too hard, no one has it, if it is too easy, then rapidly, with infinite time available, everyone has it (and with infinite time, everyone will have it even if it is hard), so unless one of those are true (it's impossible or inevitable), then it must be of medium difficulty and some percent of people reach enlightenment.

I think your observation also explains the popularity of Pure Land Buddhism-- if enlightenment is out of reach, then paradise is a nice substitute-- I wouldn't mind living in paradise post mortem.
    So put down the sutras, open your eyes, and tell me how you are not a Buddha this very moment.
    If enlightenment is just a realization about reality (that it arises, passes away, is a infinite net of cause & effect) with implication for personal life style & life choices, then yeah, what ever I will realize will be have been true since I was born and until I die (a mathematical truth of sorts), but not having realized what is true, I continue to make bad decisions.

If I had known that there was a full jar of ginger on the 3rd shelf behind the cocoa powder, I would have made a stir fry, wouldn't have gone to the store to buy more, etc. But I haven't realized that I still have a jar of ginger, so the fact that I *always* had a jar of ginger is really useless, it isn't helping me a bit. And even now, I *know* that there is something lurking in the dark that I don't know about, but it isn't doing me any good-- don't know what it is, don't know the implications, it isn't affecting how I live my personal life.

So Mahayana enlightenment just moves the goal post-- enlightenment is given, but the benefits of enlightenment wait until realization. Which like the original goal posts, is in the future after a long period of practice.

Anyhow, I got a C in philosophy, so I imagine my attempt to summarize what I know is like converting the Mona Lisa to an 8 bit video game image.
    Cinorjer
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    The Buddha never claimed to be enlightened. He claimed to have awakened to the nature of Suffering
    @Cinorjer - Yeah... we do have a tendency to forget this. Thanx for the nudge.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Enlightenment is nothing but a title that the Arahants got together and awarded themselves. The Buddha never claimed to be enlightened. He claimed to have awakened to the nature of Suffering.
    @Cinorjer, realizing liberation from suffering IS arhantship

If Buddha had no realization then what is the use? If the realization was still suffering then what is the use? Really now.
    Chaz
  • Jeffrey said:

Enlightenment is nothing but a title that the Arahants got together and awarded themselves. The Buddha never claimed to be enlightened. He claimed to have awakened to the nature of Suffering.

If Buddha had no realization then what is the use? If the realization was still suffering then what is the use? Really now.

Aha! A call to arms. You have a valid point. So my question in return is, if the realization is confined to a few dedicated arahants then what is the use? Let's look around at the Buddhist world. What difference has Buddhism made in their lives? Are people happier, more peaceful, more enlightened?
    Cinorjer said:

Jeffrey said:

Aha! A call to arms. You have a valid point. So my question in return is, if the realization is confined to a few dedicated arahants then what is the use?

But realization is not "confined". Everyone, has the same enlightened nature as any other being, including an Arhat, Bodhisattva or a Buddha. If a being, such as myself, cannot, or does not reach enlightenment in this lifetime, it doesn't invalidate the Buddhadharma. It's not Buddhism's fault if I don't cross over. It's just not my karma....yet.
    Let's look around at the Buddhist world. What difference has Buddhism made in their lives? Are people happier, more peaceful, more enlightened?
    As compared to what? Don't waste time trying to quantify what Buddhism has done for others. What has it done for YOU? I can say I'm happier, more peacefull and in some ways more enlightened than I was before my Refuge, but that should rightly be irrelevant to your experience.

lobsterpegembara
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Chaz said:

Cinorjer said:

Jeffrey said:

Aha! A call to arms. You have a valid point. So my question in return is, if the realization is confined to a few dedicated arahants then what is the use?
    But realization is not "confined". Everyone, has the same enlightened nature as any other being, including an Arhat, Bodhisattva or a Buddha. If a being, such as myself, cannot, or does not reach enlightenment in this lifetime, it doesn't invalidate the Buddhadharma. It's not Buddhism's fault if I don't cross over. It's just not my karma....yet.
    Let's look around at the Buddhist world. What difference has Buddhism made in their lives? Are people happier, more peaceful, more enlightened?
    As compared to what? Don't waste time trying to quantify what Buddhism has done for others. What has it done for YOU? I can say I'm happier, more peacefull and in some ways more enlightened than I was before my Refuge, but that should rightly be irrelevant to your experience.

I am happy for you. I suspect from your posts that whatever path you chose, a person with your qualities would come out transformed to some extent. It is our good fortune that for whatever reason, you walk the path of Buddha.

I think where we differ is in I consider your experience and the experience of every Buddhist to be entirely relevant to my own. When you say "Everyone, has the same enlightened nature as any other being, including an Arhat, Bodhisattva or a Buddha." how can I disagree? Where we disagree is in what it means to awaken to this Buddha Nature. It's a discussion that's been going on since there were enough Buddhists to form teams and root for each side, I suspect.
  • edited October 2013
    What if enlightenment is impossible? Wouldn't any steps in that direction be helpful anyway? Other lifetimes are debatable- this one isn't.
    lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    If enlightenment manifests,
    free of the "right' definition,
    why shouldn't I.
    David
  • Hi,
    there is no denomination of buddhist teaching, telling there is awakening, it`s the teaching of Gotamo Buddho himself. Buddhist teaching is transcental, there is a here and a beyond, there is Karma and there is Brahma. There is even more than awakening, there is the possibility to enter brahmaic planes and still being alive. Humans are like Brahma but with a litte lower point in hierarachy.

anando
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Cinorjer said:

Only in Buddhism is the ultimate reward denied and 99.9 percent of the followers told they're not good enough to graduate from their lives of suffering.

Who says that? The only people I have ever seen say that, is the people themselves.
    The Buddha never claimed to be enlightened. He claimed to have awakened to the nature of Suffering.
    What's the difference?

Chazhow
  • Chaz said:

I can say I'm happier, more peaceful and in some ways more enlightened than I was before my Refuge, but that should rightly be irrelevant to your experience.

Well said.
    Is She or isn't she? Irreverent and irrelevant.

My practice makes me happier, more peaceful and completely not caring about labeling. In a sense I know how weak, fragile, strong, crazy, stoopid, wise, awake, z z z
    the many 'I's are . . .

. . . and now back to the gossip . . .

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I think all Buddhist traditions allow for the possibility.

I think all Buddhist traditions allow for the possibility.
    That wasn't the thrust of my question-- with people like the Dalai Lama saying he's never met anyone who was enlightened, scriptures saying it takes kalpas to reach enlightenment... either something is wrong with the difficulty of enlightenment or it's as good as impossible.

This is sort of like "all state lottos allow for the possibility of winning the lotto" but by I can't buy a ticket and use it for a down payment on a house. Or a down payment on a cup of coffee. Unwon lotto tickets are *worthless.* A kalpa is so large as to make a lotto ticket seem like a sure thing compared to something that only happens once every few kalpas.

seeker242 said:

Cinorjer said:

Only in Buddhism is the ultimate reward denied and 99.9 percent of the followers told they're not good enough to graduate from their lives of suffering.

Who says that? The only people I have ever seen say that, is the people themselves.
    This is Therevada orthodoxy, where there are interesting propositions like, if a lay follower becomes enlightened but doesn't ordain that day... they will die! Merit is accumulated by lay followers so as to reincarnate as a man and a monk in the next life. American Buddhism doesn't have an orthodoxy, so pretty much people can project onto it whatever they want-- a western liberal tradition that says anyone can be or do anything included.
    In a manner of speaking you'll always have one life to live before enlightenment.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

That wasn't the thrust of my question-- with people like the Dalai Lama saying he's never met anyone who was enlightened, scriptures saying it takes kalpas to reach enlightenment... either something is wrong with the difficulty of enlightenment or it's as good as impossible.

I see what you mean. I think part of the problem is how enlightenment is described and thought about in the different traditions.
    All I can say is that from my own experience it feels like it's going to be a very haul.;)
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    What would we base it on, to say they achieved it in this life? How would we know whether it had taken them many lifetimes? Do they (whoever they are) just base it on the person, of them saying they achieved it in one lifetime because upon enlightenment it's said they have the ability to remember past lives? That's one part I don't get about this discussion, how the rest of us would even be able to qualify whether they spent moments in this lifetime or many lifetimes before getting to the point of enlightenment.