Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Persistent Agitation?

ZenshinZenshin VeteranEast Midlands UK Veteran
edited October 2013 in Buddhism Basics
So its mental health awareness week here in the UK and the hot thing among mental health professionals is mindfulness. My GF has undertaken a couple of taster sessions of National Health Service mindfulness and though she enjoyed the second one she said the first one made her agitated.

So I was sat doing metta practice this afternoon and I noticed that some agitation came up so I turned my metta on it with an attitude of acceptance - anyway it lessened to the point where it became something rather remote and distant. It struck me that my GFs agitation was probably the beginnings of an awareness of the all pervading disatisfaction of this realm. Good old fashioned dukkha.

Your thoughts and comments are as always welcome.
JeffreyAllbuddhaBound

Comments

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

It struck me that my GFs agitation was probably the beginnings of an awareness of the all pervading disatisfaction of this realm.

Well, that or just plain, old, agitation. But then, What I see as agitation may be different than what you're talking about.

I'd call any discursive thought or emotion, "agitation". Any movement of mind would, in my thinking, be considered agitation.

Or are you talking about something more "emotional" in character - anger, jealousy, etc?

Awareness of agitation can be the beginning of the realizition of the nature of mind, which is a part of samsaric existence. Realize the nature of mind and you realize the nature of samsara. If you realize the nature of samsara, Lobster is likely to make a joke of it :lol:
  • Agitation means that you are clinging to clarity. Dullness means you are clinging to openness.
    Chaz
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    Well personally if it was me and I were doing Vipassana I'd just take the agitation as the object of meditation, doing Samatha I'd just return my attention to the breath once I'd notice the agitation.

Horses for courses I suppose.
  • With acceptance, a person can learn how to deal with just about anything. When we see these people who are feeling physical and emotional pain, you can struggle with it all you want but it rarely results in the end of suffering. Acceptance, patience and compassion.