Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Favorite puja/gongyo/daily practice sheets for laity at home?

matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur BodhisattvaSuburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
edited October 2013 in Meditation
This really is a nuts and bolts question. I tried searching the forum for past answers, but this doesn't seem to have a single name.

For what it's worth, I'm working on cobbling together of a hybrid** set of practices that where I don't feel phoney & whatever seems to work by experimentation, such as suttra reading, recitation, mantras, mudras, mandalas, meditation, etc (preferably all in English). The Japanese traditions generally have a gongyo for the laity and I've found one for the Theravada tradition.

Links would be appreciated.

** yup, tradition mixing, I've read the warnings-- lots of traditionalists suspect it causes confusion and bad stuff, I'll assume that risk.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Here are some mantras... In a sec. The puja thing I am curious about as well. My sangha in England (i am USA) does pujas but I haven't learned.

Mantras:

1Arousing Bodhicitta
    May the hearts awareness waken in the unawakened
    Where it has begun to stir may it never fade
    And may it awaken fully.

2 Refuge
    Lamala chapsu chayo
    Sanjayla chapsu chayo
    Chola chapsu chayo
    Genduna chapsu chayo
    x repeat

3 Another refuge

We go for refuge to the Buddha
    Untill all sentient beings realize Buddhahood
    3x repeat
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

For what it's worth, I'm working on cobbling together of a hybrid** set of practices that where I don't feel phoney & whatever seems to work by experimentation, such as suttra reading, recitation, mantras, mudras, mandalas, meditation, etc (preferably all in English).

Oh, that....
    Yeah.
    I would theorise that we've ALL done that at some stage, whether we've "hitched our wagon" to a specific chosen tradition or not.
    Heck, as someone with strong and persistent leanings towards Theravada, I still do....

Nothing 'phoney' about covering your bases with a belt and braces approach.

My twenty pence....
    matthewmartin
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    It's unconventional, but I tend to start each meditation with a recitation of the Vandana and the Tisarana in Pali, prostrating, and sometimes end by listening to an mp3 of the Heart Sutra and chanting along.

I practice zazen.
    matthewmartin
  • Here is another one more customized from my Lama for her sangha ie not as ubiquitous as arousing bodhicitta or refuge I posted earlier,
    At the heart of reality is a hidden truth which is reflected within each one of us but unrealized. To realize this truth takes courage, persistence, and training. It changes our world and ourselves eventually igniting the fire of vision, love, and creative power. This truth is not an affair of the intellect but a living presence that lays a demand for its fulfillment on the totality of our being. The quest for it having begun we can never give it up or rather it never gives us up.
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    You might try this page....

http://www.namobuddhapub.com/category_s/57.htm

There are several sadhanas you may find useful - Chenrezig (Avalokiteshvara), Medicine Buddha, & White Tara. They have both English and Tibetan text. If you like to sing-along there is an MP3 of Lama Kathy Wesley singing the Chenrezig practice in Tibetan, too.

Free for the download
    matthewmartin