Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Helpless

MagwangMagwang Veteran
edited October 2006 in Buddhism Today
What would you do if you saw a loved one destroying himself with drugs, violence and despair? So gone that he lashes out at everyone around him? I fear for the life of this young person.

What do you think about interventions? I know they are controversial and potenitally back-fire. But I really believe if nothing is done, he may be dead soon.

M.

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    A difficult situation indeed, Magwang. It's possible getting him into some kind of lockdown program he can't leave might help, though it's questionable. Usually it doesn't work until the person is ready for it to work. My suggestion would be to do lots of practice and dedicate it to his recovery. Make generous donations to the Dharma. Do whatever you can to send some merit his way so that he may be able to find a way out of his situation. Or maybe not. Sometimes there's just nothing that works, and that's the cold, hard truth.

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    u can never solve ppls weaknesses for them, its only they who can choose to listen. Do they want to give up but can't, or do they see no problem?
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2006
    In my life so far I have had to make two major interventions twice (currently undergoing another one) - and it is scary what may result of it. Yet I now think that after the dangerous game of intervention, all parties ultimately learn and bond, despite whatever displeasure, sadness, misunderstandings that may be brought about both - and that also includes the loss of somebody dear to the person you may unknowingly do.

Stick to the method that is the best to the person, ask his friends for help if necessary, and ensure that you are ware of your own emotions - because at times his despair can run off you. It's a coin flip here, but the odds of getting a lousy result is about 1:3...

Think deeply! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Magwang,

Sometimes intervention is the only choice left in a life or death situation and I've seen them work. I would stress, though, that drug addiction and emotional turmoil are not weakness but illnesses and as such they need to be treated as vigorously as possible whenever possible.

If you truly think that he will not hit his rock bottom before he dies, a well prepared and organized intervention may be his only hope. If you need to, you can do the research online or you can contact Narcotics Anonymous or any drug treatment center to get the best information on how to conduct an intervention and what options to offer him in order to save his life.

My heart and hope go out to you, Magwang, and don't forget that you and whoever else this affects will need some healing too.