Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If something happens to someone you love, is it your bad karma or theirs?

So if someone you love is suffering, but that suffering is causing you to suffer, is it due to your bad karma, her bad karma, or a mixture of the two?

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It depends on what you mean by her making you suffer. If it's empathy and you feel her pain then I'd suggest both your karma points (for lack of a better approach) have taken an upswing. It is a blessing to have somebody to share these things with as painful as they are.

If her suffering is causing her to lash out at you then it is pointless to look externally for the cause of your suffering.
  • it's more a matter of her being depressed/sad about something that happened to her, and me feeling sad for her, wishing she didn't have to suffer.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2013
    That's the first one then. I'm going through that right now and letting her know I am really here for her helps. I tell her that if it is me that causes any suffering in her that we can work it out together as a team and if not then I am here to listen and simply be here to hold her through the tough times. At the same time, being mindful of the good.

It helps but you have to do more than say the words.
    Jeffrey
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Rein said:

So if someone you love is suffering, but that suffering is causing you to suffer, is it due to your bad karma, her bad karma, or a mixture of the two?

That's...hard to answer in the way you framed the question. To begin with, Buddha did not say suffering was caused by bad karma. Suffering is caused by selfish attachment, otherwise known as desire. It is what you do in an attempt to satisfy this insatiable desire that leads to bad karma. So in one way, you're putting the cart before the horse.

The underlying question, when does individual karma end and collective karma begin, is a good one. But again, karma is only a fancy word for action. When does what I do effect other people and become part of their karma? It's hard to think of anything I do that doesn't. Even what I decide not to do is karma. If I hike up to a mountain to spend my life, the actions in my solitary cave might not have an effect. But the people I leave behind who no longer have my company are effected by my leaving and continued absence. So in this way, there's no individual/group karma. There's only karma, a big wonderful sea of it that we're all swimming in.

NirvanaKundoHamsaka
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I don't even think that the Buddha taught that absolutely all suffering you experience is due to Karma, I have heard he oven spoke out against that view correct me if I am wrong.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    "When does what I do affect other people and become part of their karma? It's hard to think of anything I do that doesn't. Even what I decide not to do is karma. If I hike up to a mountain to spend my life, the actions in my solitary cave might not have an effect. But the people I leave behind who no longer have my company are affected by my leaving and continued absence. So in this way, there's no individual/group karma. There's only karma, a big wonderful sea of it that we're all swimming in."

Well said above, Cinorjer!

I like that, Kind Sir! Please forgive my bad or good karma in cleaning up your English. I realize that this is an International forum, but whatever happens is just karma afterall.
    Cinorjer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Empathy and feelings for someone in the nature of your description, do not create bad karma for you.
    Attachment to the feeling of helplessness and succumbing to being overwhelmed by your emotions, also does not create bad karma. But it inhibits your progress....

Look up the twin arrows of suffering.....
    NirvanaKundoInvincible_summerlobster
  • Nirvana said:

"When does what I do affect other people and become part of their karma? It's hard to think of anything I do that doesn't. Even what I decide not to do is karma. If I hike up to a mountain to spend my life, the actions in my solitary cave might not have an effect. But the people I leave behind who no longer have my company are affected by my leaving and continued absence. So in this way, there's no individual/group karma. There's only karma, a big wonderful sea of it that we're all swimming in."

Well said above, Cinorjer!

I like that, Kind Sir! Please forgive my bad or good karma in cleaning up your English. I realize that this is an International forum, but whatever happens is just karma afterall.

LOL! And I actually write novels. I have a list of words that I know I'll never keep straight, and "effect" versus "affect" is one of them. I have an editor who always sends me testy emails saying I should learn the difference to make her job easier.
    NirvanaHamsaka
  • Your mind is affected by your karma. Her/his mind is affected by his karma. The mind is karma, but the event or circumstance is non-self.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Rein
    Could you say why assigning your suffering to being either your bad karma, their bad karma or a mixture of both, matters to you?
    lobster
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited October 2013
    ""There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four? [...]
    The [precise working out of the] results of kamma is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it[...]"

AN 4.77
    lobsterHamsaka
  • No, karma is personal.
    You reap what you sow.
    Rein said:

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Talisman said:

""There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four? [...]
    The [precise working out of the] results of kamma is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it[...]"

AN 4.77

We conjecture about it on this forum all the time. As far as I know, none of us has gone mad.

• vinlyn said:

As far as I know, none of us has gone mad.

Speak for yourself. :crazy:
    lobsterHamsaka
  • vinlyn said:

Talisman said:

AN 4.77

We conjecture about it on this forum all the time. As far as I know, none of us has gone mad.

Yes, that quote always comes up when people discuss karma. It's one of the sillier set of verses in the various suttas, and I don't mean disrespect when I point that out. Of the millions of verses that make up our sutras, some are profound and a few just have to be "Huh?" For instance, the Buddha supposedly gave us four things to do if we want to be reborn with our wives in a future life.

The Anguttara Nikaya deserves a thread all by itself, since it's unique and fascinating. Sometime in the distant past, some temple did a cut and paste job on thousands of teachings, separating them into the number of items on each list. So this "Book of Fours" consists of every teaching where supposedly the Buddha said "There are four things to remember..." and there's also a Book of Ones, a Book of Twos, etc.

The fourth item in this particular list is hardly ever brought up because it's "pondering the origin of the world" and unless our scientists are bedbug crazy, it's as obviously wrong as saying pondering karma makes one mad in a literal sense. What we seem to have here is a bit of hyperbole that made it into the sutras, and since the list was cut out of whatever story is behind it, we'll never know what is supposed to have gotten the Buddha so frustrated. Since I have also told my kids that "You're driving me insane with your behavior" I suspect the one being driven mad at the time is the monk, being constantly asked these questions instead of something relevant.

vinlyn
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Cinorjer said:

it's as obviously wrong as saying pondering karma makes one mad in a literal sense. What we seem to have here is a bit of hyperbole that made it into the sutras,

I personally don't think the word madness is meant to be taken literally in the modern day usage of the word here. I don't believe it's hyperbole. The way I see it, It's a comparison between an enlightened mind and a deluded mind. A deluded mind is mired in madness compared to an enlightened mind and this kind of fruitless speculation keeps it that way. It brings more madness, AKA more delusions. Madness in this context does not mean the kind of madness you see in a mental institution. It means the kind of madness that keeps you stuck in samsara. That is how I see it anyway. :)

A Pali scholar could probably clarify it by going back and examining the translation of the words "madness & vexation" in Pali so we can see what it really means. I find it highly unlikely that the Buddha meant to say that just pondering karma will put you in a mental hospital. :)

JeffreyEvenThirdlobsterCinorjer
  • Rein said:

That will depend. Karma is actually action. Is someone you love is suffering and he does something to make you suffer, that someone is creating a new karma. If someone is suffering and you suffer by watching, that probably is attachment. That means it is neither your bad karma or her bad karma. Karma does not have to explain everything.
  • Footiam said above: that probably is attachment. Well that seems true enough. But care and compassion often bring personal suffering. We suffer because others suffer. I'm not sure it's important to relinquish the suffering we bear for the sake of others. Especially when we take the view that there is something we can do about it. Even good acts are Karma forming. Compassion is karma forming. It's the attachment and grasping for self that needs to be relinquished. Without human kindness and the attachment that implies, Buddhism seems like an empty philosophy of Nihilist ducking for cover. Namaste
  • In Tibetan myth, the Taras arise from the compassionate tears of Chenrezig/Avalokiteshvara. The lesson is clear, as is that of Gotama the Compassionate. Some may want to ask "What is the 'who' that is suffering?" Some may ascribe the suffering of the compassionate over the suffering of others as "attachment". Either response lacks the compassion that is at the heart of the self-less. To try to disentangle if the karma that brings us to any particular moment is "mine" or "yours" takes us out of our hearts and into our heads, an avoidance of the blessings and merit of empathic compassion.

To see a fellow human being suffering and "pass by on the other side" with the thought "It is their karma that brought them to this" or, colloquially, "It's their own fault" turns karma into a punishment/reward system, far from any Buddhist understanding of the process. It becomes a Calvinist approach, judgmental and, ultimately, dehumanising.
    lobsterDennis1
  • if someone you love is suffering, but that suffering is causing you to suffer, is it due to your bad karma, her bad karma, or a mixture of the two?
    As your compassion and sense of 'other as self increases' and you plan on saving every blade of grass from the Kali lawn mower, you go mad with grief at dukkha, not just a little @betaboy but truly grief stricken and blubbering like a Baby Jesus.
    . . . however you get over yourself with practice. You and Mr Cushion get married all the Buddhas come to the wedding and everyone lives happily ever after in the Purelands.

The karma psychiatric team have been notified, the white van is on its way. Buddha have mercy on the soul I sold to the man with the nice tale and promise of the release of the suffering hordes . . . :screwy:
    JeffreyHamsakaDennis1
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Rein said:

It may not have to do with karma. It could just be wrong thoughts and wrong understanding which give rise to negative feelings.
  • Cinorjer said:
    The Anguttara Nikaya deserves a thread all by itself, since it's unique and fascinating. Sometime in the distant past, some temple did a cut and paste job on thousands of teachings, separating them into the number of items on each list. So this "Book of Fours" consists of every teaching where supposedly the Buddha said "There are four things to remember..." and there's also a Book of Ones, a Book of Twos, etc.

The " Glossary of Enumerations" can be found in the Nyingma Tradition of Tibetan Buddhism-a wonderful writing by Dudjom Rinpoche. The numbers are a great learning device. Best