Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Please cast your mind back . .

While not new to "Buddhist teachings" and theory I have just started my own meditation practice. If you can cast your minds back I am interested to learn what your thoughts were when starting out (your first few meditation sessions) did you nearly give up? did you feel like you were doing it right? when in the day did you do it, how long for and where?

eg in my case I just have not got the diserplin to meditate first thing in the morning (need to have breakfast, sort out the kids and get out to work) the extra 10 minutes in bed is spent just gearing my self up. I have been having short 15minute sessions every other day when the kids have gone to bed and the wife in the shower and the house is peaceful. I count 4 breaths at a time. I feel a little silly at times, my back achs and legs fidgit, my mind wanders but then I feel some reward and refreshed.

I will keep it up and make progress when I stop trying (ironically) but would love to hear your experiences if willing to share please.

Comments

• I found meditation when I was seriously depressed. I don't have a depressive disorder, I was reacting to my diagnosis of bipolar. I never had depression per say, just reality hitting when my high came back to earth.

My meditation I was restless. I read about emptiness in Katherine McDonalds meditation book and then when I meditated I just noticed the antsiness in my body. Each time right when I stood up at the end I felt a relief. And that relief was like a dot of dye. It spread to the rest of the day giving me something to feel a good feeling. It made me feel reassured about my life.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Princely
    Count your blessings
    My most memorable thoughts during my first sit at a Zen center were instigated by my older sister sitting beside me who whispered "how are we going to get home if our shoes are gone when this finishes" & "Didn't Mom and Dad used to make us sit like this when we were bad?"

It improved somewhat once she stopped helping me with impromptu koan suggestions.
    NirvanaKundoPrincely
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    how said:

How are we going to get home if our shoes are gone when this finishes?"

Priceless. Let me register my LOL vote here.
  • I blame my parents.
    For some reason they had a book of yoga poses when I was very young. By pointing to a pose and saying 'see how long you can do this one', they managed to snatch a bit of silence from their gullible offspring . . .
    Then there was sitting still in church . . .

Parents are evil. :p
    KundoPrincely
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I assume you are now a parent? :p
  • how said:

My most memorable thoughts during my first sit at a Zen center were instigated by my older sister sitting beside me who whispered "how are we going to get home if our shoes are gone when this finishes" & "Didn't Mom and Dad used to make us sit like this when we were bad?"

How – you made me smile. I must maintain discipline and practice more. I defiantly get a lot from sessions of meditation I guess it’s all still little alien to me still. To much western influence maybe.