Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Experiment

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
I am sure others on here will have done this in the past but this morning while I was doing my daily meditation on the train to work I decided to write down each thought that arose and I got lost in as a bit of an experiment. I meditated for about 20 to 25 minutes.

If I was able to catch the thought as it came up quickly I didn't bother. It was only when I got lost in it for more than a couple of seconds or so.

For anyone interested, below was the outcome for each selected category:

Fantasy arguments = 1
Sensual desires = 0
Work = 0
Travel (the current train trip I was on) = 3
Dhamma = 1
This very experiment = 3
Planning this post on NB = 2
Newbuddhist.com (in general) = 1
Something I read in the news = 1
Distraction (person on phone near me) on the train = 1

I actually found it made me concentrate more so maybe this is something I'll try again. I might even try it with emotions as opposed to thoughts.

Anyway, I can recommend it as something to shake things up a bit!
VastmindEvenThirdKundo

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Bunks

Ever examine the differences between concentration and meditation?
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    how said:

@Bunks

Ever examine the differences between concentration and meditation?

G'day @how. No, but I understand the difference.
  • I would consider this to be a descriptive study rather than an experimental study. An experimental study typically involves the introduction of an independent variable, and the use of some sort of multiple baseline or reversal design to conclude that the independent variable has caused a change in the dependent variable.

I'm curious as well; what do you mean by "my daily meditation on the train"? Isn't it in the anapanasati sutta that the Buddha instructs his followers to seek out the shade of a tree or an empty room to practice one's focus? I feel like the train is a setting where you go to determine if the skills practiced in a more structured setting (such as your home, on your meditation cushion) have generalized to other settings, not the other way around. Meditation, concentration, should be taught and practiced in a quiet, secluded setting.
  • Every meditation is an experiment with your mind.
    Unless you have mastered the jhanas, you are merely trying
    To train your mind ie trying to tame the wild monkey.
    Hi @Talisman. When you have two small children and a tired wife at home plus a busy job, sitting under a tree or in an empty room isn't always an option.

The buddha will have to be happy with me meditating on a train I'm afraid. ;)
    lobsterKundo
  • how said:

The ideal place to practice is where ever you find yourself.

Looked there. Nobody meditates there.

. . . but seriously as always . . .

I thought I was smart but I soon found out
    I didn't know what life was all about
    But then I learnt I must confess
    That life is like a game of chess

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it
    It ain't what you do it's the time that you do it
    It ain't what you do it's the place that you do it
    And that's what gets results

Bananarama

Who made the mistake of finishing their meditation? [yes come on 'fess up]

:om:
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2013
    question.... How did the categories come about? Did you think of them before
    you started or after?

What did it show/teach you about your thoughts?
    Invincible_summerBunksKundo
    Vastmind said:

question.... How did the categories come about? Did you think of them before
    you started or after?

What did it show/teach you about your thoughts?

Good question @Vastmind. Some I thought of before because I knew they would probably occur while others I added along the way.

I am hoping this exercise will help me start to label the thoughts more which I suspect will also help de-personalise them.
    VastmindEvenThirdKundo
  • How about trying to label thoughts as they come up as to whether they are based on fear or love as root emotions? Actually, I usually use Pema Chodron's method of labeling thoughts as just "thinking" and letting it go. Labeling and categorizing just leads to more of the same I would think.
    BunksVastmindlobster
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    @Talisman you are of the opinion that meditation should be done in a quiet secluded location. I would find that difficult to do. In my Soto Zen tradition we meditate with eyes slightly open and are encouraged to shift our awareness from the visual field to the soundscape. It is actually helpful to me, when a thought has wandered in, to hear a bus go by or hear a bird call. The thought is instantly dropped, and I am grateful to the bus.
    JeffreylobsterBunks