Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you believe that Buddhism is superior to Islam and Christianity ?

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited October 2013 in General Banter

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    No and I'd be surprised if there are any people truly practicing the teachings of the buddha who would!
    EvenThirdKundovinlyncvalue
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I'm not going to lie I do. If that makes me a bad Buddhist or a Bad person then it's just how I feel and I can't help that.
    Cinorjer
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Bunks said:

No and I'd be surprised if there are any people truly practicing the teachings of the buddha who would!

Yep - what @Bunks said ^^^
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The teachings of the Buddha are not just about how to attain a higher rebirth as are the teachings of Islam and Christianity, These are Samsaric paths that do not present a method for overcoming the actual origins of suffering whereas Buddhism does.

I Believe all 3 are genuine methods however only one of them provides you with the material you require in order to fully accomplish the meaning of your human life.

Jeffrey
  • Thank you for your honesty at the risk of being not politically correct.

I'm not going to lie I do. If that makes me a bad Buddhist or a Bad person then it's just how I feel and I can't help that.

Invincible_summer
  • btw lying means breaking the precept. lol.

Invincible_summerTheEccentric
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Good on you for your honesty!

To be frank with you, I have never studied Islam or Christianity and know very little about them.

If they make their followers happy and better people then they're fine by me!
    vinlyn
  • For all I know Taoism is better than all three . . .

"Without stirring abroad, One can know the whole world; Without looking out of the window One can see the way of heaven. The further one goes The less one knows."
    Lao Tzu

:D
    Bunks
  • GuiGui Veteran
    I think it depends on if you believe the dream is real or if you prefer to be awake.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I wouldn't say Buddhism is superior but I wouldn't let my child read the Bible or the Quran until I deem them old enough for horror movies.

Far too much violence and sexual depravity in these holy books for my taste.

lobsterEvenThirdBunks
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited October 2013
    ourself said:

I wouldn't say Buddhism is superior but I wouldn't let my child read the Bible or the Quran until I deem them old enough for horror movies.

That's why they have Sunday School. They take all the nicer bits. Honestly, I do not like the Quran or the Bible and I have studied both for a time. The fundamentals are difficult to grasp and typically brushed away on faith.

Christianity has some redemption in sect of Gnosticism as it treats the bible more as a compendium of myth and parable (aka, stories with meaning/lessons). And it seems to be more focused on the liberation of the heart from the worldly desire. That was what I learned from my brief stint with it anyway.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Ultimately, yes. Belief in a creator God is wrong view and right views are always superior to wrong views. That is what makes the view "right" to begin with.

Good article on it here. Buddhism and the God-idea

"Theism, however, is regarded as a kind of kamma-teaching in so far as it upholds the moral efficacy of actions. Hence a theist who leads a moral life may, like anyone else doing so, expect a favorable rebirth. He may possibly even be reborn in a heavenly world that resembles his own conception of it, though it will not be of eternal duration as he may have expected. If, however, fanaticism induces him to persecute those who do not share his beliefs, this will have grave consequences for his future destiny. For fanatical attitudes, intolerance, and violence against others create unwholesome kamma leading to moral degeneration and to an unhappy rebirth.

Although belief in God does not exclude a favorable rebirth, it is a variety of eternalism, a false affirmation of permanence rooted in the craving for existence, and as such an obstacle to final deliverance."

But does that mean you can walk up to a Christian, look down on them disapprovingly and say "My religion is superior to yours!" Of course not, that would be wrong speech and opposite to metta.

:om:
  • ysmaelysmael Explorer
    i guess, honestly, all three are the same in terms of their teachings. i think its the people who practices any of them are the very ones who takes it too seriously and try to interpret it for their own selfish benefits. and starts proclaiming that theirs is supreme than the other.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Good grief.
    I can't believe we're even having this discussion.....
    riverflowBunks
  • I believe the teachings of Jesus are similar and comparable to what is taught in Buddhism. But Christianity practiced today has a lot of problems. Too much judgement, too self righteous and a poor theology. Islam lacks the grace that Jesus taught. Its too legalistic. Buddhism reflects the grace Jesus teaches. Jesus reflects the concepts that Buddha taught. Mercy Forgiveness Loving kindness blessings (Good Karma) are there. I dont think they are superior but similar.

JainarayanriverflowKundo
  • Buddhism is superior to Islam, Christianity, Hinduism and Judaism for a Buddhist. Christianity is superior to Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism and Judaism for a Christian. Hinduism is superior to all for a Hindu; Judaism is superior to all for a Jew. The catch is that there is a presupposition that each one practices their respective faiths with devotion and to the best of their abilities.
    Yato mat, tato path “As many faiths, so many paths.” - Sri Ramakrishna.
    Ekam sat viprah bahudha vadanti "There is one truth the wise know by many names." - Rig Veda 1.164.46
    Kundo
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Yishai said:

ourself said:

That's why they have Sunday School. They take all the nicer bits. Honestly, I do not like the Quran or the Bible and I have studied both for a time. The fundamentals are difficult to grasp and typically brushed away on faith.

Christianity has some redemption in sect of Gnosticism as it treats the bible more as a compendium of myth and parable (aka, stories with meaning/lessons). And it seems to be more focused on the liberation of the heart from the worldly desire. That was what I learned from my brief stint with it anyway.

Ah yes, Sunday school... The ol' bait and switch. When I was just a kid I had something called The Children's Bible, full of the heroic stories of David, Samson, Moses and of course Jesus. When I was nine my Dad passed on and I got his Bible. I could have cut my disillusionment with a knife when I read what was in there.

I'm sure it wasn't the intent but the first thing I learned was to have sympathy for snakes.

betaboy
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    hermitwin said:

Do you believe that Buddhism is superior to Islam and Christianity?

It's challenging quantifying without a subject.
    Superior in what regard?
  • For what it is worth, I think all three as established religions are not so different from each other. And you can interpret each religion to mean what you want it to (such are human beings). Buddhism just happens to be the teaching that resonates with me. Different strokes for different folks. I do not think that any is superior. Buddhism still has its own flaws when it comes to being an organized religion.
    Bunksrobot
  • This is an excellent guide for this topic:

Paramatthaka Sutta: Eight-versed Discourse on the Ultimate

1. Abiding in views, thinking “It is the ultimate,”
    A person makes out one in the world to be outstanding;
    Therefore he says that all others are “inferior.”
    Thus he has not passed beyond contentions.

2. Whatever advantage he sees for himself
    In the seen, in the heard, in morality and observances, or in the felt,
    He having seized upon that very thing there
    Views all others to be inferior.

3. But adept ones call that a tie
    Dependent upon which he views another to be inferior.
    So upon the seen, the heard, or the felt,
    Or upon morality and observances a mendicant would not depend.

4. Also he would not conceive a view in the world
    Based on knowledge or also morality and observances.
    He would not present himself as equal,
    Nor would he imagine to be inferior, or superior.

5. Having abandoned what was acquired, not taking up anything,
    He would not be in dependence even upon knowledge.
    He truly is not a partisan among the schoolmen;
    He does not fall back on any view at all.

6. For whom there is no intent here for either extreme,
    For this or that existence, here or hereafter,
    For him there are no entrenchments
    Seized, having discriminated, from among the philosophies.

7. By him, here, in the seen, the heard, or the felt,
    There is not contrived even the slightest perception.
    That holy man not adopting a view—
    By what here in the world would one judge him?

8. They conceive nothing, they set nothing before them;
    Also, no philosophies are received by them.
    A holy man is not to be led on by morality and observances.
    Gone to the other shore, one who is such does not fall back.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    seeker242 said:

Ultimately, yes. Belief in a creator God is wrong view and right views are always superior to wrong views. That is what makes the view "right" to begin with.

Good article on it here. Buddhism and the God-idea

"Theism, however, is regarded as a kind of kamma-teaching in so far as it upholds the moral efficacy of actions. Hence a theist who leads a moral life may, like anyone else doing so, expect a favorable rebirth. He may possibly even be reborn in a heavenly world that resembles his own conception of it, though it will not be of eternal duration as he may have expected. If, however, fanaticism induces him to persecute those who do not share his beliefs, this will have grave consequences for his future destiny. For fanatical attitudes, intolerance, and violence against others create unwholesome kamma leading to moral degeneration and to an unhappy rebirth.

Although belief in God does not exclude a favorable rebirth, it is a variety of eternalism, a false affirmation of permanence rooted in the craving for existence, and as such an obstacle to final deliverance."

But does that mean you can walk up to a Christian, look down on them disapprovingly and say "My religion is superior to yours!" Of course not, that would be wrong speech and opposite to metta.

:om:

Translation -- your viewpoint is superior.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    joecrema said:

I believe the teachings of Jesus are similar and comparable to what is taught in Buddhism. But Christianity practiced today has a lot of problems. Too much judgement, too self righteous and a poor theology. Islam lacks the grace that Jesus taught. Its too legalistic. Buddhism reflects the grace Jesus teaches. Jesus reflects the concepts that Buddha taught. Mercy Forgiveness Loving kindness blessings (Good Karma) are there. I dont think they are superior but similar.

Nicely written.

If I want to read Christian teachings, I stick with the New Testament. It reflects
    Christ-ianity, which the Old Testament did not...since Christ hadn't laid down his teachings yet when it was written.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2013
    The original question is either loaded or badly phrased.

Buddhism is entirely different to any other religion in that it has no God-head (omnipotent, omniscient, all-powerful, whatever) therefore you're comparing apples and oranges.

If your question hinges rather on whether followers of Buddhism are superior in their thinking, to followers of other religions, then frankly, the question is misguided and insulting, and has really no place on this board.

particularly in "Buddhism for Beginners", whence it was moved....
    Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Even if there are similarities between religions, the way things are presented in Buddhism just "click" for me, and so for me it is the superior religion in that sense. I can appreciate Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc, but as a spiritual practice, they don't work for me.
    riverflowEvenThirdDaftChris
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited October 2013
    An interesting question. If I didn't think it was "better" in the definition of a spiritual practice that lacked the dangerous flaws of other religions, then I wouldn't call myself a Buddhist. Buddhism is better for people, if you must have a religion. But Buddhists are no better or worse than any other person of a different religious persuasion. I tried to be a UU member for a while, but couldn't believe the politically correct stand that all religions are equal and all have something to teach us.

To be even more honest, I used to think I'd discovered the secret to life, the universe and everything. Or at least the secret to everyone being happy. But Buddhism has been around for thousands of years, and if it had some magic formula to happiness, it would have transformed the world by now. No magic. Just hard effort. My personal opinion is that the Middle Way as taught by the Buddha who preached liberation was available to everyone was hijacked by the aesthetics and grouchy old arahants who drew a strict authoritarian line between the monks and lay people. The population was then told to support the temples and otherwise had no hope of comprehending the Dharma. Better luck next lifetime, when you might be born a male of social status to be accepted by the temples. Buddhism retreated behind temple walls and rejected society instead of trying to engage people.

So in another way, traditional Buddhism was even worse than religions like Christianity, which at least tried in their own misguided way to change the lives of everyone. Same with Islam, before the fundamentalist tribes twisted it into a weapon against people.

But that also meant Buddhism didn't do as much harm when unrestrained as other religions. Back and forth I go.
    Bunks
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    No.

Why do you ask?
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Buddha's teachings work for me. Mohammed's teachings work for those who practice Islam, Christ's teachings work for those who call themselves Christians. Sometimes it's a mix of all theses ideas and more. I love Hafiz and certainly can identify with Christ's teachings. It is like different philosophies, to pull from just one is sort of shortchanging yourself.
  • Well you don't get to Egypt if you take a flight to Mexico. If you do not have the intention to train your mind it is less likely to happen but not impossible that it will happen.

In Christianity all you have to do is take Christ as your savior and then the task is accomplished. Buddhists however have to work with awareness training.

So I would say like federica that they are apples and oranges based on the destination that each one has in mind. So they cannot be equal or non-equal. It would be like comparing the skill of a runner to a guitar player and asking if they are equal.
    Theswingisyellowcvalue
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited October 2013
    hermitwin said:

I would like to think so but do Muslims or Christians think so too? We all have our own opinion. One man's meat is another man's poison, they say.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    If I want to read Christian teachings, I stick with the New Testament. It reflects
    Christ-ianity, which the Old Testament did not...since Christ hadn't laid down his teachings yet when it was written.

Aaah @vinlyn - I love you :)

Thank you for pointing out something so obvious, yet so missed by a lot of people. The Torah is The Torah. The Old Testament is an oft mistranslated version of the Torah. Both are Judaic in origin.

I love to say that Jesus was not a homophobe as Leviticus' teachings were not relevant to him and in fact he breached the law regularly working on Shabbat. That riles a few people up. ;)

In metta,
    Raven
  • Buddhism is truth. The others are not.