Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Transgression of the 2nd Precept?

Hi,

Apologies if this is yet another agonisingly insignificant question - but as a young Buddhist my mind delivers me some silly questions (which I can't help but wonder about)!

Would it be a violation of the precept against stealing to hack into someone's email and take a look. This sounds like a most uncompassionate thing to even consider doing - but myself and a friend suspected her partner (who can be most unpleasant - not that this justifies the situation) of having an affair and took a look at his email account in an attempt to confirm this.

FYI We did have evidence to support that he was receiving messages from a woman - and this was the only way we could think of to confirm it, as he is most secretive.

Apologies once again if this is a stupid / immature question (I realise it is) only it has been playing on my mind.

Kindly,

mm

Comments

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Technically, I think such an action constitutes taking something that isn't given. That's theft. Theft = Bad.

That's said, it's your karma. Do what you think best.

cptshrk
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Yup!
    Vastmind
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    OP, I wouldn't say it's a stupid question, but I would say it does violate the concept of right action...not to mention being illegal.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    edited October 2013
    This is also a 4th precept issue, one would keep quiet about these things. This is theft of intangibles-- I doubt the Buddha, despite his likely fine education at Taxila University-- took a class in intellectual property law, so he probably didn't have an developed opinion on if you can steal information, the genome of the potato, the solution to the 4th degree quadratic equation or the source code of "dope wars". He lived in a time when the local King & patron Pasanandi bragged about having spies in the Buddha's sangha, so he was in a society where privacy wasn't especially respected.

I think you'll have to look to general principles in Buddhist ethics and work from there & see where it takes you.
  • ZeroZero Veteran

FYI We did have evidence to support that he was receiving messages from a woman - and this was the only way we could think of to confirm it, as he is most secretive.

Did you achieve your aim? Is everything ok now?
    Why are you so involved in your friend's relationship?
    Probably more options available if you consider an action before you take it.
    vinlynVastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Intention is all, but it pays to seek different possibilities with regard to consequences.

In the great scheme of things, if the trust is gone, is proof required?
    The three underpinning tenets of any successful relationship are Trust, Communication and Respect.
    If any of these three is lacking or missing, then already, the relationship is founded on shifting sands.
    Sometimes, it's best to listen to the base instinct and cut your losses.....or for your friend to cut hers.

VastmindStraight_Man
  • There are no universally right and wrong actions, with very few exceptions. Particular situation and your motivation determine what is correct and what is not correct. Precepts are guidelines, not absolute rules.

The way Buddhism differs from other religions is that there's no one who cares whether you've been good or bad. No one will give you a carrot if it's the former or hit you with a stick if it's the latter. You act and you get some result. Good action-- good result. Bad action-- bad result. Neutral action-- neutral result. No one to pray to and no one to blame. Only you make your life. What life are you making?

So you spied. What is the result of your spying? How does it feel in your head, in your heart, in your gut? In silence, face that result with all your courage, dive deep into it, let it manifest in your being freely. Only strive to understand the truth, let the mind become clear and open. If you are sincere and persistent, you'll see clearly what you did, why you did it, what effect it had and whether an additional action on your part is needed.

That seeing will be more precious than anything anyone can tell you. Best of luck to you.