Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shhhh...I'm eating.

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
Little article on a restaurant doing silent eating......

' Chef Nicholas Nauman says the concept stems from time he spent in a Buddhist monastery.'

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2013/10/18/silent-restaurant-brooklyn/
riverflowInvincible_summer

Comments

• I think the general noise of chewing and clinking would drive me bananas.
    VastmindKundo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Maybe that's the point... ;)

Just to throw out a suggestion here:
    In a house full of people (especially kids)...it's more
    doable to pick a day. For example, meatless Mondays
    and silent Sundays. We occasionally have a silent snack time
    too.
    riverflowKundoInvincible_summer
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I actually like the ambient noises of a restaurant. Not a fast food or chain joint, but go to a classy place. The lights are dimmed down low, there is a low volume chatter murmuring from the other patrons, the clink of silver and glassware, etc. It provides a nice cushion of white noise that feels downright comfy to me. Being perfectly silent would make me leave the establishment, like what @Yishai said. The noise of chewing and lips smacking and sucking and slurping can quite literally drive me to physical acts of aggression, it makes me mad. Not angry mad, but the mentally unstable kind of mad.