Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

At a crossroads of sorts (looking back over this I see how long-winded it is... sorry)

For me things happens quickly, perhaps impulsively is a better word, so I'm looking for some tempering of my possible impulsiveness in this subject (which I will get to :p ). This has come about from the combination of the newbuddhist.com/discussion/19777/is-pure-land-buddhism-entirely-faith-based#latest and newbuddhist.com/discussion/19146/falling-out-of-love-with-hindu-ritualism-and-superstition#latest threads.

I am becoming more and more interested what I see as the simplicity of full-on Buddhist practice, especially Pure Land. Something in the past 24 hours has hit me like a vajra from the blue about it. That single-pointed devotion and meditation on Amitabha, emulation of the compassion of Avalokiteshvara, and the wisdom of Mahāsthāmaprāpta seems like one-stop shopping. Maybe it's laziness on my part, and looking for an easy way at work here, and that I really don't understand. That's where I need to be set straight by this august sangha. ;)

However, I feel quite, if not overly, invested in the Hindu deities. Let me outline a few things, then I hope someone can take it from there and help me put all this together.

1. I am a Deist; I believe there is a God. Whether one calls it Brahman, a Cosmic Consciousness, a Cosmic Unity, or it is even Adi-Buddha, I believe something is there. Sure, I say some supplicative prayers which I think are more for my own mindfulness rather than "God" intervening. This is not entirely against Deism, because there are Deists who pray.

2. I believe in the deities, whether they are Buddhist, Taoist or Hindu, as beings on other planes who may or may not help us. I think they do; experiences in my life seem to indicate it as more than mere coincidence or dumb luck.

3. The over-investment I feel I've had in Hinduism is not unlike a former Christian having a hard time shaking certain beliefs. Can I eventually come to not picture Vishnu, Shiva or Krishna as the anthropomorphic representation of God? Can I consider them as devas, not God himself? Yes, I think I can. In fact, I really dislike the idea of a personal anthropomorphic God. Do I need to have representations of them, murtis, on my altar and in my shrine? Mm... I don't think I do, except only to represent aspects of reality like Saraswati representing wisdom and the arts, as well as the dispelling of ignorance (think of Manjushri) ; Narasimha representing protection; Hanuman represents strength and devotion; Krishna teaching duty and single-pointed devotion in the Bhagavad Gita (which btw, I believe paved the way for the Buddha... really); Rama for doing one's duty no matter what; all of these for mindfulness of those aspects. Besides, I like the pretty colors of the pictures and statues. :D But I don't pray to them or chant their mantras.

4. In meditation on this, I've come to feel that Buddhism is the natural continuation or evolution of Hinduism.

5. So, am I ready to make the leap?
cvalue

Comments

• Yes to question 5
    Jump. Good luck. :clap:
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Everyone has to find their own way and truth. Dukkha Annata Annica, that's it for me. Best to you on your path.
  • Thanks @lobster and @Theswingisyellow. I'm going to see if I can find a center near me to get a feel for a practice, maybe a Chenrezig practice. I have a printed copy of the sadhana but I never did it. I was reluctant because I was trying to meld bhakti to Krishna, whom I thought was my ishta-devata/yidam, and Chenrezig. But it caused a conflict. I'd prefer to be guided though.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @Jainarayan -- The older I get, the less convinced I become by the use of such terms as "conversion" or "making the leap" or other similar attempts to indicate your life could somehow be segmented ... right, I was a Hindu then, but NOW I'm a Buddhist or other similar descriptions. On the one hand, it's an adequate way of speaking (I don't play with cap pistols any more) but in any seriously attentive way, I don't think it will wash. Spiritual life is WHOLE life, right down to the broken shoe lace followed by the invariable expletive. No one has to believe this is true, but I suspect that if anyone paid attention, s/he might find that it is.

So ... if you like Hinduism you might want to remember the "turiya" or fourth aspect of things ... the one that stops even the most well-lubricated Hindu tongue. Even within its own confines, Hinduism sets aside its own panoply ... assuming anyone studied it a bit.

As to whether Hinduism nourished Buddhism or forms a basis for it, well, you could certainly make the argument, since the two operated cheek-by-jowl for quite a while. A lot of early Buddhists grew up Hindu ... and why not ... it was part of their culture.

But as a personal, practice consideration, I think you can set aside the whole Hindu/Buddhist construct. Who the hell cares? For better or worse, your whole life is just your whole life. If you want to worship peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, it's still your life.

Find a practice and practice it. Be as confused or delighted as you like. Find all the differences and similarities you like. Be wowed. Be dismayed.

But practice.
  • Thanks @genkaku. That cuts to the chase and makes an eminent amount of sense, especially discerning the similarities and differences. :)
  • @Jainarayan, best of Luck to you.
  • Thanks @cvalue, you gotta know you'll all be hearing more on this (run now). :lol:
  • I notice from DharmaWheel that you have a sadhana, have a potential centre to attend . . .
    What ya waiting for? A push?

Jump. Jump. Jump.

OM MANI PEME HUM
    JainarayanKundo
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.” - HHDL
    vinlynMaryAnneKundo
  • lobster said:

I notice from DharmaWheel that you have a sadhana, have a potential centre to attend . . .
    What ya waiting for? A push?

Jump. Jump. Jump.

OM MANI PEME HUM

Hey, it took me forever to get into a Hindu temple! :lol:

Seriously, I'm checking the schedule at the Mahayana Center near me. There are some intro classes coming up which I'm thinking of attending. The times are right too, either weekends or after work, though there are only one or two classes every few weeks.

Yes, I've put together a short sadhana based on http://www.dharmata.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/DailySadhana-DF2.pdf

Aw, "based on" my foot... that's it exactly. :D With a few embellishments, e.g. short dharani's of Avalokiteshvara, Tara, Amitabha, and the Medicine Buddha mantra. I haven't found a dharani for Manjushri (preferably Sanskrit... I just like Sanskrit ;) ), but I have a prayer in English. I feel closest to these buddhas and bodhisattvas.
  • Just an update and a thanks to everyone for their input. I'm making a crossover post at another site, not to spam the internet, but I know some people cross sites and will see this. I'm kind of speaking to a wide audience.

It's just about a month that I've adopted Amitābha Pure Land practice, which I couldn't be happier with. There's a simplicity (despite my over-thinking, I do like simplicity) and a warm comforting feeling in it. My practice consists simply of nianfo/nembutsu, and reciting from this http://www.dharmata.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/DailySadhana-DF2.pdf I mentioned earlier, with the few extra prayers and embellishments, but I don't overdo it or get hung up on it or any rituals.

I try to be mindful of Amitābha Buddha and what it means to go to Sukhāvatī. I don't necessarily make daily offerings at my altar, but I recite from the sadhana a few times a day, and do nianfo as often as I can. As importantly, I'm not having a problem abandoning Hindu cosmology such as a creation of the world, jīvātman, and such. Someone told me that abandoning rituals, how I now view myself and accept the Buddha's teachings is sotāpanna. In light of the Three Fetters, they came in the order self-view, which I always had ("I am not the body"); clinging to rites and rituals, which was easier than I thought to eliminate; skeptical doubt, coming about as I learn more about the Buddha and his teaching, because it "feels" right.
    lobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2013
    You only have to let go of ATTACHMENT to rites and rituals.
    lobsterJainarayan
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2013

I haven't found a dharani for Manjushri (preferably Sanskrit... I just like Sanskrit ;)

Om Ara Pa Ca Na Dhih
    http://lzdmz.webs.com/ws_e.htm
    http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/manjushri

:)
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Jeffrey said:

Hmm... it's not only doing the rituals, but thinking you have to do them?. I can live with that. :)
  • lobster said:

I haven't found a dharani for Manjushri (preferably Sanskrit... I just like Sanskrit ;)

Om Ara Pa Ca Na Dhih
    http://lzdmz.webs.com/ws_e.htm
    http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/manjushri

:)
    Thanks. :thumbsup: I knew about the mantra, but I thought there was a longer version, like the Tara dharani:

Oṁ Namo Aryāvalokitesvarāya
    Bodhisattva mahāsattva mahākarunikāya
    Tadyāthā Oṁ Tāre tuttare ture sarva-dustan
    Pradustan mama krte dzambhāya stambhāya
    Mohāya bandhāya hum hum hum
    Phat phat phat svāhā
    Mama Aryāvalokabhāya nara
    Bodhisattva mahāsattvani adhisthana
    Adhisthite mama sarva-karma-avarana-svahbava
    Suddhe visuddhe shodhyāya vishodhāya
    Hum phat svāhā

But then I realized that a dharani is just a long mantra. :o
  • Buddhism isn't an exclusive practice or religion for most people in the world and traditionally only monks have felt the urge to argue doctrine like we do here on the board, so don't sweat it if you believe different or follow a different practice from other Buddhists you meet. There's not a thing wrong with a practice of simple devotion such as Pure Land. You want to put statues of Hindu gods on your altar, go for it. In Korea, just about every Buddhist shrine on every tiny mountain top has a shrine next to it that honors the local spirits and gods of the land. People leave offerings at both. It's all good.
    Jainarayancvalue
  • Thanks @Cinorjer. My practices have always been a bit eclectic, as long as there was no conflict. That's where meditating on it was helpful. When I spoke about it on Hindu forums it pissed off a lot of Hindus. Buddhists never seemed to have a problem with it. Most Buddhists I've encountered are like "meh, whatever, it's all good" like you said. :)

I removed the statues of Krishna and Rama from the altar and put them elsewhere, just as decorations reflecting Hindu mythology because I could never feel close to either one, but the statues are pretty. :D Yet, I do have Narasimha and feel close to him. http://threeroyalwarriors.tripod.com/buddha_is_narasimha.html
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Jeffrey said:

Hmm... it's not only doing the rituals, but thinking you have to do them?. I can live with that. :)
    Or recognising that they are skillful means?
    Jainarayan
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited November 2013
    That too. As long as the feeling of "have to" isn't there, but "want to" out of love and devotion is there. The have-to is a hold over from being a recovering Catholic.