Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Considering taking refuge vows

What made you decide to take refuge vows and is your life different now or better or worse for doing so?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I too refuge vows because I decided this was the calling I wanted to respond to.
    I recite my Refuge Vows every morning and evening.
    It helps to keep me Mindful.

Which doesn't mean 'always good', but it helps the focus. ;)
    riverflowChazcvalue
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I take it you have noted the comments in your previous thread? ;)
  • I haven't taken vows yet, but I am pretty faithful/confident of the Buddist path.
    cvalue
  • Jeffrey, has something stopped you from taking this step?
  • LoveWins, I want to do it if my Lama from England visits USA (where I am). If she dies I will probably take refuge, but not the fifth precept because I drink about a six pack every week.
  • LoveWins said:

What made you decide to take refuge vows and is your life different now or better or worse for doing so?

It was because I was refused refuge by the local sangha that I had to go for refuge to the Buddha (don't ask, politics is a strange game).

Here is a more recent example refuge I took earlier this year
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/30916789642/re-fugue

Time to renew my vows? Not really, swearing in front of the Buddha is just a little disrespectful . .

Is my life better or worse? My life is better for practicing how to live better.
    And that is the truth, the whole truth and Nothing
    but The Truth
    So help me Cod
    [that might not seem like much of an oath to you but for a cructacean it is like swearing on the body of a mermaid]

:wave:
    Kundo
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    Honestly, I took vows because I simply really wanted to. I took them at a Vajrayana center this June. I'm not sure it's been long enough for me to say if my life is better or worse for it. However, I feel that my life is better.... perhaps not for taking vows, but for trying to following the precepts, having a regular meditation practice, and for being put on a heavier dose of medication. :)
    lobster said:

My life is better for practicing how to live better.

This is how I feel, that the practical side to Buddhism makes it easier to live better. This has been my experience so far.
    Jeffrey
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    By the time I actually "took refuge" I had been practicing for nearly 5 years. At that point taking part in a ceremony was a mere formality, but it was step I felt was necessary to take. The necessity was a bit complex, but the main reason was that it was, in my mind, time for a public declaration of sorts - of my aspiration to break with Samsara, to find my enlightened nature.

As far as change goes, I didn't become a Buddhist in order to be a better person, to find greater happiness, reduce stress and so on. I've never viewed Buddhism as some kind of self-help routine. I see life changing in every moment, for better or worse, doesn't really matter.
    Jeffreycvalue
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I took refuges after my first 3 month retreat in a monastery. My attitude towards them was really no different than any other effort during that retreat. What ever might help me along this meditation path at the time was just the next step to take.
    Sometimes I am those refuges, sometimes those refuges are me, sometimes both disappear.
    They are whatever I've allowed them to be.