Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Freeze home made salsa?

Anyone ever did this? My food processor is big enough to make a big batch. It would be good reason to drag it out and clean it.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yes, I make my own taco sauce all the time and freeze it.
  • I freeze tomato sauce from time to time, in a gallon-size (freezer) zip-loc baggie. I imagine if you make a smoother salsa as opposed to a real chunky salsa, it will freeze and thaw out just fine. But I think if you make/like it more chunky, you may be disappointed because often the tomato chunks get a little soft and squishy as they thaw...
    VastmindJeffrey
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Mary Anne has a point. I make my sauce from 32 ounces canned diced tomatoes, an equal measure of tomato sauce, 1 chopped anaheim chili, 1 chopped jalapeno chili, 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1 heaping teaspoon of cumin, 1heaping teaspoon of chili powder, a little black pepper...then simmer...cool and freeze. I add more chili powder -- to taste -- when I actually use it...usually on open-face tacos. I use cans of tomatoes that are 50% regular salted and 50% no-salt to cut down on sodium levels due to high blood pressure.

Freezing seems to make no difference, but perhaps if it were really chunk it might.
    Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2013
    I make it with carrot (little), onion, and tomato all food processed. Then I add minced garlic (little), salt, pepper, and lime juice. All the second sentence ingredients to taste. I would add jalapeno and seeds for myself, but my mom doesn't like hot and spicy things. Sometimes I add avacado.
    MaryAnne