Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Things that amp you up.

Share videos, stories, songs, what have you, of whatever gets your blood pumping and ignites a fire in your heart. Just you know, sit back, chill, and talk about your passions.

For me, it has to the the Isle of Man TT race. This race has speed in excess of 200MPH (322KPH) on a 226 mile (364km) track (6 laps of a 38 or so mile track I believe) Where crashes and fatalities will not stop the race. They'll slow down to clear the wreckage if it is in the way, but that is all. To me, seeing these riders in action is breath-taking. Their talent and skill is such that when you watch them, it is hard to tell where they end and the bike begins. It is truly a harmonious blend of man and machine. I mean, I love riding sport bikes myself, but these bikes are an entirely different animal. I mean, just one twitch at the wrong moment can send these guys flying through the air easily at over 100mph, possibly to their deaths. Something about risking it all, alone on the track, just you and your bike, damn near arouses me I must say.

I know it is a pipe dream, but I really want to join these fine men on this track, to one day race there. I doubt it'l never happen, but that isn't going to stop me from trying. Of course, I'll have to get into the local circuits here, still figuring out how to do that exactly. I have done the public track days that they have, where they just let people onto the race track and let us go at it. It's fun, and can get a little competitive, but it's no race. Especially not like on the Isle of Man.

Invincible_summer

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Track Cycling

I've only gone to a velodrome a couple of times in my life, and it was so exhilarating pushing that big gear on a banked track with no brakes... even watching it gets my heart rate up.

Also, daydreaming of travelling gets me pretty excited.

And I listen to a lot of metal... pretty self-explanatory. :p

• I get quite excited going to the supermarket . . .

Oh wait . . . you mean animal passion . . .
    m m m . . . I get very involved when watching films
    I sweat during action flicks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

My cousin used to bike from Switzerland to go to the TT on the Isle of Man (proving that there is a 'Man that is an Island' despite rumours to the contrary) on his Ducati.

My cousin eventually came off his bike and ended up in a sidecar

I would recommend Phowa for insurance purposes as your life/death wish is strong.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phowa

My real passion is religion. I think I might try 'Hell's Angelism' next . . . or maybe not, they seem very sweet but would throw me out for trying to hopelessly keep up on my bicycle . . .

:rocker:
  • kokorokokoro Explorer
    I enjoy skateboarding, particularly transition and vert, just got back into it after a 30 year 'layoff', at 51 i think i'm the oldest in my state of Tasmania.
    Definitely keeps me young and fit!!
    Bunks
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    Climbing for me although due to injuries I can't climb much these days.

Pete Livesey on Downhill Racer

I climbed Downhill Racer once by accident thinking it was three grades easier than it is. It remains the hardest climb I have ever done at E4 6A, my previous hardest climb being Three Pebble Slab at E1 5A (a gritstone classic). Oh to be eighteen and reckless again!

Hoey and Scott on Three Pebble Slab
  • Listening to music-- but especially early music and classical music-- reading poetry and philosophy-- and drinking hot tea. There was a time I would say writing and recording music too, but that has largely passed (I loved recording, but I hated playing live shows-- I'm too bloody introverted).

My pride and joy is my ever-growing collection of early music, ranging from the fourth century BC to the mid-18th century. It's all H.I.P. (historically informed performance), the singing is often without vibrato and one or two voice per part. Much of it goes out of print quickly-- some of the discs are worth a pretty penny. I just about have everything by Bach, and in addition I have about 20 different recordings of his Cello Suites (I lost count!). My loft apartment often sounds like a cathedral with all the church music going haha

I have certain ideas about music theory and the evolution (or DE-volution) of music once polyphony took a back seat to melody (like Glenn Gould, I actually think Mozart is overrated) and music has lost a certain geometrical beauty because of it, eventually being replaced by individual emotional expression. Beginning in the Baroque period, and solidified by the classical period, the single-line melody became the primary carrier of expression and diatonic harmonic progressions became the "train tracks" to support it. Music became much more simple.

After that, it's no wonder that all music could do was become more and more chromatic to the point of dismissing tonality altogether. And accompanied with that ever-growing chromaticism was wilder emotional histronics. It was a dead end (though certainly some beautiful music was written along the way!). All that contrapuntal complexity became an endangered species! In the bigger picture, I think this is a great loss (which isn't to say that I don't greatly enjoy later music-- but early music is of a totally different order!!!!). I suppose in Nietzschean terms, I'm very much an Apollonian.

So I do get worked up about Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque music-- which sadly, most people have never really heard-- at least not performed in the manner that they were once actually performed. The music is sublime. I spend $120 recently on an out-of-print import of Josquin's music. It was worth every penny. STAND BACK! :rockon:
    lobsterEvenThird

• Hmmm... at my age?
    Well, I'm afraid my 'amps' are blown. I'm just kinda humming along....

:coffee:
    VastmindTheEccentricBunks
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    ^^^^^^

WOWSERS!!!!
  • Hartke Kickback 1212.
  • Bjorks music.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I think @MaryAnne just amped me up with her poetry post! lolololol
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    @TheEccentric Awesome! I don't think I could ever act on stage. However I was part of a brass band for a short time that played in amphitheaters and I had no stage fright because I was part of a large group. I loved being on stage, feeling the warmth of the lights as I played the music, and the applause afterwards.