Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

religion and science

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
Others have probably seen this already, but a friend first sent it to me yesterday. In three segments (Einstein, the Dalai Lama, Richard Feynman), it considers the intersections and divisions of science and religion. Leaving aside the appended classroom questions, it's a nice little presentation.

Tosh

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I guess I'm glad that this article doesn't try to come to any conclusion about which is right, religion or science. In fact, to me that's the most important point of the article.

This debate is usually entered into by people that have either a religious perspective or a scientific perspective. But in reality, I think most people take religion with a grain of salt...and take science with a grain of salt. And that's sort of what Feynman was talking about. It goes along very much with what I experienced at university, when my major was geology with an emphasis on historical geology and paleontology. As far as I could tell, virtually every one of my professors was a Christian church-goer...and they fervently taught evolution.

There are two things I very much dislike in the typical discussion of this topic. Those who say it's science OR religion. And those who twist both science and religion to attempt to show that their religion is scientific.

riverflow
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited October 2013
    One of my touchstone fortune cookies was penned by the Anglican and metaphysical-thriller-writer Charles Williams, who, in one of his novels, wrote, "People believe what they want to believe."

How's that 'wanting' thingie workin' for ya? :)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    genkaku said:

One of my touchstone fortune cookies was penned by the Anglican and metaphysical-thriller-writer Charles Williams, who, in one of his novels, wrote, "People believe what they want to believe."

How's that 'wanting' thingie workin' for ya? :)

Very true.