Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Final Transmission - a story

FINAL TRANSMISSION
A wise old Zen master, very near death, lay quietly on his mat with his eyes closed, all his disciples gathered around. Kneeling closest to him was his number one disciple, a longtime practitioner who would succeed the old man as head of the monastery. At one point the old master opened his eyes, and lovingly gazed at each and every one of his disciples assembled in the crowded room. Finally his glance rested on his successor, and he managed to speak his last words to the man: “Ah, my son, you have a very thorough knowledge of the teachings and scriptures, and you have shown great discipline in keeping the precepts. Your behavior has, in fact, been flawless. Yet there is one more thing remaining to be cleared up: you still reek and stink of ‘Zen’!”

anataman

Comments

• Ummmm.... I don't get it. :-/
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2013
    @Gui
    Some think that's the smell of anyone trying to carry a raft that was meant to be left at the shore line.
    I know it's 20/20 hindsight but that's one scarily late teaching for a dying master to be giving to someone he considers to be his successor.
    anataman
  • GuiGui Veteran
    @how
    A thousand indeeds.
  • edited November 2013
    From Crooked Cucumber- as Shunryu Suzuki was in his final days, he was getting into bed and let one rip. His comment to his wife was, "That's for you, dear."
    anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Thanks for that - love it!

Ha Ha ha ha … HA HA HA HA …
    Ha Ha Ha HA HA HaHa Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha HA HA Ha Ha Ha

Sorry, self control required here…. Right…. got it?

:cool:
  • MaryAnne said:

Ummmm.... I don't get it. :-/

I agree with @how.
    Better to not have a successor, then leave students to the mercies of a form following hyena. Did the Buddha leave a successor?

Might be a clue as to what old farts were available?

Cyber Apple Pie, reverses that ummmm . . . negation . . . y u m m m m . . .
    :D
    how
  • pegembara said:

There is no Bodhi-tree,
    Nor stand of a mirror bright.
    Since all is void,
    Where can the dust alight?

Hui Neng

Since there is no alighting
    dust
    no void
    we might as well have pie
    [hysterical laughter ad infinitum]

. . . gosh I think I was influenced by a touch of the longchenpas

“in the universal womb that is boundless space
    all forms of matter and energy occur
    as flux of the four elements,
    but all are empty forms, absent in reality:
    all phenomena, arising in pure mind, are like that.

just as dream is a part of sleep,
    unreal in its arising,
    so all and everything is pure mind,
    never separated from it,
    and without substance or attribute.

experience is neither mind nor anything but mind;
    it is a vivid display of emptiness, like magical illusion,
    in the very moment inconceivable and unutterable.
    all experience arising in the mind,
    at its inception, know it as emptiness!”

― Longchenpa

Since we have no pie
    we might as well have pie
    to pie for