Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Being Enlightened for beginners

Here is someone teaching without a formal form:
http://www.theopendoorway.org/

You can find Zen teachers answering questions here:
http://www.zenforuminternational.org/

Apart from 'Mr Cushion' where would you go for enlightened interaction?
cvaluehorsebonesZenshinsova

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    One of the reasons I decided to refrain from Zen Forum International's site was the creation of the "ask a teacher" forum.
    riverflow
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    genkaku said:

One of the reasons I decided to refrain from Zen Forum International's site was the creation of the "ask a teacher" forum.

Why's that? Such a forum doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Getting "teachers" to participate would be a real challenge, though.

They tried to do something similar on FreeSangha. Maybe Lobster can tell us how that's going?

Tosh
  • Chaz said:

Why's that?

Exactly so. I never go in that section. Job done.

Is it the presumption that some people know what they are talking about? Why the impudence! How dare they! Who do they think they are?
    They tried to do something similar on FreeSangha. Maybe Lobster can tell us how that's going?
    It is going slowly, Been on hold while the moderator organising is recovering from illness. Some teachers have agreed and in the new year we might well have some news and events . . . I will be there asking important questions . . . such as 'now you are enlightened why don't you just get on with living?' and such like - am I too wikid?

I have suggested the two cyber Zen teachers at treeleaf.com

Teachers, sutras, books galore. Loads of them. Many excellent and useful. Students . . . not so many, I make a dreadful student, asking all the wrong questions . . .

:scratch:
    sova
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    On the internet, no one knows if you are a dog zen master. (Or is that possibility precluded? I still don't understand the koan. Mumu is a dress for large people.)
    sova
  • I listen to and read Thanissaro Bhikku and ask questions on dhammawheel.com. Not saying any of these people are enlightened, but the guidance I have received this way has been extremely productive, in terms of shaping my practice so it improves my life, thoughts and behavior.
    sova
  • teacher is as teacher does. By their fruits let them be known. There are those who have the ears to hear.
    sovaChaz
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Im on staff at the buddha center, a virtual sangha on the program second life that has real teachers and monastics come on and do voice talks etc. It can be done as we have monastics like lama lodro and ven yuttadhammo teach there.

As for enlightenment.. This is all i have to say. ;-)

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQabVXTuZlRX6ls3hPR0WoxXuCBq9lMjJrkmoL4Nd-oBX392v3lQRoPPPAK3g
    sova
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jayantha said:

Im on staff at the buddha center, a virtual sangha on the program second life that has real teachers and monastics come on and do voice talks etc.

What tradition is that, Jayantha?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2013
    lobster said:

The supermarket. The shoe store. The clothing store. The hardware store. The restaurant down the street. The gas station.

:D

Jayantha said:

Im on staff at the buddha center, a virtual sangha on the program second life that has real teachers and monastics come on and do voice talks etc.

What tradition is that, Jayantha?

as I said every tradition, the co-creator of the center is a zen reverend, if i have that right, then we also have a Tibetan and Theravadan monk, two pragmatic monks, and lay teachers.
    Jayantha said:

as I said every tradition, the co-creator of the center is a zen reverend, if i have that right, then we also have a Tibetan and Theravadan monk, two pragmatic monks, and lay teachers.

So like a pan-Buddhist centre? That sounds interesting. Quite unusual too?

Because its virtual and has a global sangha, its pretty easy to mesh together.

http://www.thebuddhacenter.org/
    Jainarayan
  • Slight detour for a moment... @Jayantha, that is a really cool site. :)
  • seeker242 said:

lobster said:

The supermarket. The shoe store. The clothing store. The hardware store. The restaurant down the street. The gas station.

:D
    Words that do not match our experience are not really right speech, let alone enlightened interaction.
    It is true that the enlightened speak to the awake component of everyone's being, if they are highly skilled no one would notice . . . though on one level we do . . .

:)
  • lobster said:

Strip club?
    Jeffrey
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    betaboy said:

lobster said:

Strip club?
    A great place to go pursue some emptiness, @betaboy! :cool:
  • Gosh you guys . . .
    So advanced. I would find myself drawn into samsara very easily, you are able to not only ride above it but see it as a Pureland. :bowdown:

We are the presence of the crazy masters. Hold onto your fish. :p
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_wisdom
  • Hi,
    i wonder about the word enlightenment. This is not the right word to describe this
    phenomenon. In Pali-Canon it is written as: Awakening.
    For me the only trueproof of being a far way on the path is the meeting with
    Maro Dusi.

sakko
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2013
    wrong thread sorry
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Being enlightened for beginners (or anyone) is best manifested by leaving our dusty descriptions of enlightenment for ones meditation to answer.
    Good luck though in finding anyone interested in it there.
    Hamsakabookworm
    anando said:

In Pali-Canon it is written as: Awakening.

Which sutta(s) are you referring to?
    edited November 2013
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.036.than.html

Dona Sutta

"Just like a red, blue, or white lotus — born in the water, grown in the water, rising up above the water — stands unsmeared by the water, in the same way I — born in the world, grown in the world, having overcome the world — live unsmeared by the world. Remember me, brahman, as 'awakened.'

Sometimes also translated “one who is awake"
  • The Buddha said no enlightenment occurs without communication. He surely did a lot of that. I understand that Sazen is not a way through teaching. I know sitting meditation is valuable. I have sat a lot. Vipassana is also fine. However, Understanding the 3 ignorances, the paramitas, emptiness, and much more is valuable also. In the Mahayana tradition, passing on enlightening influences and developing enlightened mind is a significant part of the dedication to enlightenment. Why else call it the great vehicle?

It's easy to be led astray and even fine teachers can pass on error. But surely the attempt to be there for another is worthy and worthwhile. Communication of doctrines and teachings is an excellent way to be there for others. Answering questions may be of great value to those who ask honestly. I would seek to respond without self glorification and without contempt and feel I had been of use. Best, Dennis
    lobster