Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Back, shoulder and neck issues... just put me down now

Three years ago next month (in Dec. 2010) I had 3 lumbar microdiscectomies for herniations. My neurosurgeon told me it was from shoveling snow, not anything in the gym (I powerlifted). In Sept. 2012 I had surgery for a "massively torn" (as the surgeon listed it) rotator cuff: two full thickness tears, and a vertical split in the biceps long head tendon. It was not from the gym either, but an old bone spur in my shoulder.

I was told by both surgeons not to expect 100% functionality. I understood this, but it is better than the alternative... permanent nerve damage in my leg (I had foot drop), and loss of full use of my arm from the torn tendons. Fortunately I regained a lot of my functionality and strength.

But now my lumbar is acting up again. One of the discs that was partially removed is herniating again, causing nerve compression, pain and muscle spasms. It alternates with sciatic pain and foot tinglies.

I come to find the reason for my headaches, neck muscle spasms and tightness. My C2 vertebra is forming a bone spur which may eventually connect with C3. This is causing compression of the "greater occipital nerve" that runs up the side and back of the head, and causing muscle spasms.

So far (and I hope to the gods I don't jinx myself) my shoulder is OK.

So I'm going to be getting physical therapy and chiropractic treatments (again :rolleyes: ); It was the chiropractors who caught my back and shoulder problems, ordered MRIs and sent my sorry ass to the surgeons.

Not trying to be a drama queen, but given my track record, I see a scalpel in my future. :grumble:

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    You have my deepest sympathies for this.

I have had lower back problems my entire adult life since what seemed like a minor jump off a rock while hiking. Three times it has been so bad and persistent that I thought I was on the verge of surgery...though I squeaked by.

Then a decade ago I feel on the ice and broke my shoulder. It seemed to heal well, only to find that part of the bone had died...although fortunately for me it did stabilize before becoming as extensive as it could have (that condition is called avascular necrosis). There is no day that I don't have arm pain, sometimes badly, and I did lose some degree of functionality, although not that most people would notice. Shoulder replacement is a last resort...a surgery that can sometimes have terrible results (including amputation and even death).

I will hope for the best for you!!!!! Good wishes going your way!!!!!

• Oy!
    As someone who also lives with significant pain every single day, I feel for you both. :( It can really suck, bad.
  • Thanks @vinlyn and @MaryAnne. Yeah, it does suck. Because no matter how many muscle relaxants or anti-inflammatories you take, they really don't help. You try not to, but it's too easy to snap at everyone and get irritated very easily... something about a wounded animal? :p

Yeah @vinlyn, I know about avascular necrosis. My partner was on the verge of it after breaking his talus bone.

Today in NJ the weather is cold, nasty, raw, damp, with occasional snow flurries. This morning it "snained" (snow-rain) like a bitch. So on these days when everything hurts (including my eyelashes, it seems) I bundle in a sweat jacket even in the office.

Metta to everyone, yes? ;)
    MaryAnne
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    That sucks man! Best of luck......
  • Thanks @Bunks.
  • I believe that many people with chronic pain have benefited from receiving (and probably also practicing) reiki. I would definitely give it a try. Personally, I have found that it practicing reiki is a very effective way to get concentrated and peaceful, and so it's helpful for meditation too.

Best wishes,
    Maarten
    Jainarayan
  • maarten said:

I believe that many people with chronic pain have benefited from receiving (and probably also practicing) reiki. I would definitely give it a try. Personally, I have found that it practicing reiki is a very effective way to get concentrated and peaceful, and so it's helpful for meditation too.

Best wishes,
    Maarten

Reiki you say?... thanks, I'll look into it at my chiro's office. They do all kinds of treatments including having MDs on staff. There is an acupuncturist on staff. He is Asian and may know about it.
    maarten
  • Three years ago next month (in Dec. 2010) I had 3 lumbar microdiscectomies for herniations. My neurosurgeon told me it was from shoveling snow, not anything in the gym (I powerlifted). In Sept. 2012 I had surgery for a "massively torn" (as the surgeon listed it) rotator cuff: two full thickness tears, and a vertical split in the biceps long head tendon. It was not from the gym either, but an old bone spur in my shoulder.

I was told by both surgeons not to expect 100% functionality. I understood this, but it is better than the alternative... permanent nerve damage in my leg (I had foot drop), and loss of full use of my arm from the torn tendons. Fortunately I regained a lot of my functionality and strength.

But now my lumbar is acting up again. One of the discs that was partially removed is herniating again, causing nerve compression, pain and muscle spasms. It alternates with sciatic pain and foot tinglies.

I come to find the reason for my headaches, neck muscle spasms and tightness. My C2 vertebra is forming a bone spur which may eventually connect with C3. This is causing compression of the "greater occipital nerve" that runs up the side and back of the head, and causing muscle spasms.

So far (and I hope to the gods I don't jinx myself) my shoulder is OK.

So I'm going to be getting physical therapy and chiropractic treatments (again :rolleyes: ); It was the chiropractors who caught my back and shoulder problems, ordered MRIs and sent my sorry ass to the surgeons.

Not trying to be a drama queen, but given my track record, I see a scalpel in my future. :grumble:

It's a good thing that the mind is still in tact and is as clear as ever. Cheer up!
  • footiam said:

It's a good thing that the mind is still in tact and is as clear as ever. Cheer up!

Who said anything about my mind being intact!? The nice thing about senility is that you're always meeting new people. :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, yes it can always be worse.

I have to say the chiro treatments and adjustment and brace I'm wearing really are doing wonders. The brace does traction and compression. I can drive with it and not feel any bumps, I can sit walk, stand with it. And the headaches are disappearing. I can sleep OK because there's no downward pressure on my spine. The guys I go to really are good. :)
    MaryAnne