Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to "be with it" without resisting?

The title says it all really, if one wants to address and change certain negative patterns of thought he has become aware of occurring in daily life what is the best way to stay present and mindful and still sit with it without aversion or struggle? Just interested in learning how other's are doing it, seems lately I'm dealing with some anxiety and it only seems to be increasing. Especially at night even when I only had 2 hours of sleep the previous day I couldn't sleep. I felt very tired but some part of me just wouldn't let go for some reason and I began to feel anxious.

Comments

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    So you want to sit in a room with a tiger and not be devoured..

Maybe let it devour you and enjoy the dance.

If you get lots of wordy thoughts try and bring mind focal back to breathing, you can visualize green rolling hills as you breathe. Eventually you can drop the object and let cessate and arise within the awareness of livespace all particulars.

It's not an endurance thing as much per se. Do some jumping jacks.

And there is a lot more to breathing life into the teachings than seated meditation alone. Break out and do something nice for someone. You can reflect happily on being able to help them. This is a real offering to the Buddhas. Bring a beautiful inspiring memory to mind and let that freshness acclimate.

It is very good to recognize some patterning. The awareness which is witness can grow more and more. You can try becoming more mindful of your bodily sensations (internal and epidermal) and this will help link up one's ...for lack of better terms.. limbic system. The part of us that is dear and true, which lets emotions come party without getting bent outta shape when they flip the couch and use all the TP. Remodeling is great for homes built on sand. If you can be grateful for simply experiencing what is, you will be successful in training mental/physical ease.

Specifically, if you are looking for powerful practice ways you may be interested in Intermediate Stages of Meditation, by the Dalai Lama. Changed the direction and quality of my inner and outer life dramatically. (=

• If you are losing sleep because you are anxious at night, you need to fix that.
    There are lots of good reasons to lie awake worrying. Money, relationships ect. But that is the wrong time to work out solutions. You are much better off sleeping at night.
    Having a few nights of crappy sleep doesn't help your mental state during the day when solutions to problems are best delt with. The problem starts to compound.
    Maybe see a doctor about some type of sleep aid. I find that 71/2 mg of mirtazapine is enough to give me a reasonable sleep with no side effects. 30mg is a standard adult dose for anxiety or depression. It's a pretty good product.
    Glow
  • Woah93 said:

T
    Especially at night even when I only had 2 hours of sleep the previous day I couldn't sleep. I felt very tired but some part of me just wouldn't let go for some reason and I began to feel anxious.

Are you asking how to be with it or how to fall asleep and have a consistent amount of sleep?
  • Welcome the anxiety. Feel the texture. Notice how it is not solid, but always changing.
    sovapoptart
  • Woah93 said:

I felt very tired but some part of me just wouldn't let go for some reason and I began to feel anxious.

I think it's a boy!

You lucky dog!
    Perfect time to do prostrations to the Buddha. Preferably the fat boy Buddha with the sack (he loves anxiety as an offering as he has hungry ghost realms to feed)
    http://www.tibetdiscovery.com/tibet-buddhism/prostration-instruction/

108 of those should give you something to worry about . . .
  • sova said:

Lobster, is that you? ;)

Seriously, though, I was suffering from similar problems for the last two months - would get up at 3 am no matter what. Something in me would not let me sleep despite the tiredness of the flesh. It was awful. Now it is better.
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    I dealt with a lot of anxiety in the past that got in the way of sleeping this was before i found buddhism i eventually just stopped thinking about it so much, i just accepted my anxiety and i didn't fight it any more, i have it under control now
    MaryAnne
  • betaboy said:

sova said:

Lobster, is that you? ;)

Seriously, though, I was suffering from similar problems for the last two months - would get up at 3 am no matter what. Something in me would not let me sleep despite the tiredness of the flesh. It was awful. Now it is better.
    I eat tigers for breakfast. (in my dreams)
    They are great t t t t . . . oh wait that is Kellogg's Frosties and I prefer devouring muesli . . .

In the sense you mean it, allowing our devouring demon, anxiety or depression to overwhelm us may not be skilful. Both can be improved but not cured by prostrations, which make body chemicals that soothe the mind. For temp anxiety at night time I have taken chamomile or valerian tea. Stronger herbals exist, which may include skullcap.

NB: please do not devour tigers as they are an endangered puddy cat . . . ceiling cat is not amused . . .
  • Zero said:

Woah93 said:

T
    Especially at night even when I only had 2 hours of sleep the previous day I couldn't sleep. I felt very tired but some part of me just wouldn't let go for some reason and I began to feel anxious.

Are you asking how to be with it or how to fall asleep and have a consistent amount of sleep?
    Well, the lack of sleep is making it harder to be present, and not being present increases the anxiety, which will cause for more lack of sleep. It's kind of a hard cycle to get out of. I'm in a bit of a rough spot lately, I am living with my parents who are fighting a lot and just finished college, can't find a job and there is A LOT of tension in the house. Really, just sitting in the living room while the both of them are there is already mentally exhausting. It's hard to explain but.. you know those people who walk in the room and you can immediately sense agitation and stress around them? Like the atmosphere just changes completely when they are around? I feel that way with both of my parents right now, I know these are not problems I have to deal with, but I still end up overly empathic and feel everything they are feeling...
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited November 2013
    When there is aversion, you maybe should not practice "just being", but actively create a feeling of kindness and acceptance. The Buddha talked about some hindrances that will arise in meditation and one of them is anger/aversion. And each hindrance requires a specific approach, especially when they are still strong. For aversion it is creating kindness, not "just being". For many people this is an important thing to work with. Mindfulness doesn't work that well without the kindness that is accepting the body and mind as they are.

There the practice of loving kindness (metta) and compassion will help. Compassion also requires the wisdom to understand that it is ok to be imperfect. It is ok to be anxious, that is just what minds often do. You don't blame a dog for barking or a baby for crying.

Then the acceptance and "wishing well" you actively create will calm down the aversion and the mind will be more peaceful as a result. Only then is it in my experience a time to 'just be with it'. If you become more skilled at it, acceptance and "just being with it" start to merge together and they may become more like one thing, but still the active practice of creating acceptance/loving kindness is one that will be very beneficial.

You may want to google a bit to find some meditation instructions on creating metta and compassion.

With actual metta! ;)
    Sabre
    Jeffrey
  • Distinguish thought from sense data experience.

So there is thinking or thought.

Then there is feeling or sensation.

Smelling or smell.

Tasting or taste.

Hearing or sound.

And seeing or colors/shapes/forms.

Note the difference between thoughts interacting with the sense data verse pure sense data devoid of thoughts.

Then you can be with anything by relaxing into the immediate experience of "what is". What is, is all those experiencing listed above including thoughts/thinking.

Generally the split between thought and non-thought is done by creating a subjective vantage point as the witness or a conscious entity that watches everything arise and fall. That can be a helpful tool in the beginning as you can cultivate a lot of equanimity or "be with it" without push or pull.

The only problem with that is that it is a subtle form of I grasping with a heaping tingle of indifference.

So if you can just completely experience what is without a before, during or after. Then there is no need to be, or not be, or both or neither. Hope or fear become impossible because there is no x, y, or z axis to find.

I wish you well.
    sovaZeroJeffreymisecmisc1
  • I posted this for someone suffering from a similar predicament on another forum. Perhaps it could help you:

The first thing I would say is to remember: you're not doing anything wrong. There is nothing wrong with you for feeling this fear. It's not your fault that you cannot will yourself to feel a certain way. It's not your fault that you can't prevent your mind from having painful memories reactivated, or apprehending future frightful scenarios. Your mind is only doing what it evolved to do. In fact, it's doing it very well and this anxiety is a sign that there's more right with you than wrong with you. You are a living specimen of evolution at its zenith -- 100,000 years of natural selection have resulted in your exquisitely active brain.

In the face of this reality, what is the best option? IME, the best option is simply to accept that this is just what the mind-body complex does, and to respond to it with appreciation. This is a technique from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT): When a fearful thought comes up, silent say "Thank you, mind!" It may help to express appreciation for just how efficient a machine it is. For example,
    "Thank you, mind! Wow, that last pang of anxiety was really compelling! You really know how to put on quite a neurochemical show for me. You must have done a very good job of keeping my ancestors safe in the past. And now, you're trying to do the same thing for me."

Or, if you have a particularly critical or vindictive mind:
    "Thank you, mind for that... um... convincing little story. It's one that you've fed me many times. I'm sort of sick of it by now, but I know you're only trying to protect me from what was a very painful experience. But, as this story only serves to demoralize me or make me feel worthless and alone, I think I'd rather just let it go for now."

^This last point is important: it's not whether a thought is true or not that's important, but whether it's helpful or not. What do you get from buying into this thought? Is it an old thought? Do you benefit from listening to this thought once more? If it's not helpful, then you need not pay it any attention.

Doing this helps disentangle you from the cycle of what psychologists call "experiential avoidance" -- that is, the tendency to create a fear-based relationship to our own thoughts, feelings, memories, and urges. Trying to fight the mind will only keep you trapped in an internal tug-of-war. You always have the option of simply dropping the rope and walking away (i.e., moving onto constructive actions). It may take practice, but sooner or later, the fear will not be such a problem anymore. You can see it simply for what it is -- a bit of personal history being evoked by the present -- and yet act and live outside of the stories your mind tells you.
    Jeffreymisecmisc1
  • Nibbana means getting away from the jungle. When we’re inclining towards Nibbana we’re moving towards the peace of the mind. Although the conditions of the mind may not be peaceful at all, the mind itself is a peaceful place. Here we are making a distinction between the mind and the conditions of mind. The conditions of mind can be happy, miserable, elated, depressed, loving or hating, worrying or fear-ridden, doubting or bored. They come and go in the mind, but the mind itself, like the space in this room, stays just at it is. The space in this room has no quality to elate or depress, does it? It is just at it is. To concentrate on the space in the room we have to withdraw our attention from the things in the room. If we concentrate on the things in the room we become happy or unhappy. We say, ‘Look at that beautiful Buddha image,’ or if we see something we find ugly we say, ‘Oh, what a terrible disgusting thing.’ We can spend our time looking at the people in the room, thinking whether we like this person or dislike that person.

We can form opinions about people being this way or that way, remember what they did in the past, speculate about what they will do in the future, seeing others as possible sources of pain or gratification to ourselves.

However, if we withdraw our attention it doesn’t mean that we have to push everyone else out of the room. If we don’t concentrate on or absorb into any of the conditions, then we have a perspective, because the space in the room has no quality to depress or elate. The space can contain us all, all conditions can come and go within it.

Moving inwards, we can apply this to the mind. The mind is like space, there’s room in it for everything or nothing. It doesn’t really matter whether it is filled or has nothing in it, because we always have a perspective once we know the space of the mind, its emptiness. Armies can come into the mind and leave, butterflies, rainclouds or nothing. All things can come and go through, without us being caught in blind reaction, struggling resistance, control and manipulation.

So when we abide in the emptiness of our minds we’re moving away — we’re not getting rid of things, but no longer absorbing into conditions that exist in the present or creating any new ones. This is our practice of letting go. We let go of our identification with conditions by seeing that they are all impermanent and not-self. It is what we mean by vipassana meditation. It’s really looking at, witnessing, listening, observing that whatever comes must go. Whether it’s coarse or refined, good or bad, whatever comes and goes is not what we are. We’re not good, we’re not bad, we’re not male or female, beautiful or ugly. These are changing conditions in nature, which are not-self. This is the Buddhist way to enlightenment: going towards Nibbana, inclining towards the spaciousness or emptiness of mind rather than being born and caught up in the conditions.

Ajahn Sumedho
    "Like a drop of water on a lotus leaf,
    Or water that taints not the lotus petal,
    So the sage unattached remains,
    In regard to what is seen, heard and sensed."
    GuiJeffreymisecmisc1
    @Woah93 Happy that you are investigating for potential pond ripplings. So the apparent reality is that the environment being shared sometimes becomes caustic. What goes on in your mind during this process? Are you trying to stay removed from the situation?

Often times people simply could use a friend with some emotional clarity to listen. It may be difficult at first, but ask your fellow housemates to try and explain how they feel. (attributing a role like "parent" or whatever can reflexively place a particular dynamic in effect)

Crack a joke, or just laugh at the absurdity, sometimes that can help break up a storm. But really just lend an ear. Maybe not amid a tussle, but one-on-one with each of your folks. You know, don't talk ill of anyone just listen and you can even remind that all beings want to be at ease and free of displeasure -

"perhaps more than to be loved, people want to be understood" - george orwell

a good friend helps weave people together in their closeness and makes those who are close closer

a better friend can teach them gradually how to listen to each other

ask if they are speaking from their thoughts or from their hearts

ps you'll find an awesome job. or lifestyle. whatever you want to call it. help your friends hash out this stuff and you can rely on the boomerang (;
  • Woah93 said:

Well, the lack of sleep is making it harder to be present, and not being present increases the anxiety, which will cause for more lack of sleep.

It's kind of a hard cycle to get out of.

I'm in a bit of a rough spot lately, I am living with my parents who are fighting a lot and just finished college, can't find a job and there is A LOT of tension in the house.
    Really, just sitting in the living room while the both of them are there is already mentally exhausting. It's hard to explain but.. you know those people who walk in the room and you can immediately sense agitation and stress around them? Like the atmosphere just changes completely when they are around? I feel that way with both of my parents right now, I know these are not problems I have to deal with, but I still end up overly empathic and feel everything they are feeling...

if one wants to address and change certain negative patterns of thought he has become aware of occurring in daily life what is the best way to stay present and mindful and still sit with it without aversion or struggle?

I suppose maybe a way to consistent mindfulness is habituation - as a well worn track leading to open spaces.

When you refer to 'negative patterns of thought', it seems you're referring to the anxiety caused by the various stimuli?

Anxiety is in the mind, so you'll stand a better chance if you follow some good health cliches such as a balanced healthy diet, no stimulants after say 5pm and regular exercise (weight training + cardio are effective) in the evening is great if you want to sleep - this should promote a regular sleep pattern - aim for 8 hours.
    Remove yourself from the stimulus when you can - nothing says you have to sit in between two arguing people.
    These strategies may provide a little breathing room - especially sleep which has a massive effect on perception /mental processes.

All the best of luck.
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited November 2013
    when anxiety first arises note it for anxiety then let it go next time it arises note it and let it go continuing on perfecting your being. rinse and repeat soon enough you'll be so tired of being anxious you'll stop being anxious. be vigilant and humble.

practice makes perfect.

may sound kinda goofy but i dare you to try it!

http://viewonbuddhism.org/fear.html
    this has some good stuff!

maybe it is your worldly job that is causing some of this suffering is your line of work something that improves the lives of those it affects or does it cause them suffering?
  • Well I only just got out of school but I am planning to further study to get higher qualifications. It's really bad here, there just aren't jobs available unless you got a lot of experience, and you need a job to get that experience... :')
    Anyway I do make money with my music and that keeps me busy a lot so I'm thankful for that occupation for the time being.
    When you refer to 'negative patterns of thought', it seems you're referring to the anxiety caused by the various stimuli?
    Well yes that may be the trigger, but it sets off a certain train of thought which is feeding itself off the anxiety and then builds it up to a point where I feel like I am carrying the weight of the world... I know thoughts are just thoughts, feelings are just feelings and I shouldn't contribute to it, but it seems like I am not succeeding very much at doing that. Intellectually I'm not "anxious" or afraid, but I do tend to worry and doubt everything, including mindfulness and meditation itself in those moments when it's hard going.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Take refuge that the path will always be here for you. So it's 5:30 for me. Anything can happen. I could die. I could hear my friend is dying. I could meditate. I could play a game or type on NB.

See? There is always space for all phenomena to happen. In the next half hour I could meditate. If I never meditate for six years there will always be a space for about anything to happen. Even if you don't meditate your mind always has a space. Fill it up with meditation? Or drugs? Or music? There is always space. There is always a path. Do you see?

Link in to the space as you look out the window. Your heart can be free as a bird just for an instant. And then monkey mind cuts in. WE link out and out and out. Link in to the space.

Be a friend to yourself. You are the only friend who will be there at all times. Be a friend to yourself. See what is there. Experience is always just as it is. With family trouble that is just what is in the space. See what is there and just as you see it. Your mind is by nature clarity so you don't need to know what is there. It will unfold to you. Sit with your worst states. Sit there when the world is hard and just be with it. Be in the present. Just say to yourself "I am upset". Sit with it. Are you worried about the future? Sit with it as a worry. In the present it hasen't happened yet, but rather it is a worry. And finally don't make a big deal about your awareness. It is just clarity mind and is nothing special. It will always be here and does not come or go. Buddha has compassion for you and there is no such thing as a big deal. People are dying and having babies but it is all peaceful from the perspective of mindfulness of the present, being a friend to yourself and others. There is getting excited and worrying of course. But there is a background stillness to the mind. I liked a number of people's posts on this thread.

Take refuge. Buddha has a seat saved for you at the lunch table. :p
    sovaWoah93Namada
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Woah93 said:

Well yes that may be the trigger, but it sets off a certain train of thought which is feeding itself off the anxiety and then builds it up to a point where I feel like I am carrying the weight of the world...

I know thoughts are just thoughts, feelings are just feelings and I shouldn't contribute to it, but...

it seems like I am not succeeding very much at doing that. Intellectually I'm not "anxious" or afraid, but I do tend to worry and doubt everything, including mindfulness and meditation itself in those moments when it's hard going.

A little chicken and egg.
    It pays to pay attention to the foundation - sleep deprivation is a form of torture - it breeds anxiety.
    A lot like fixing anything - there are orders of priority... stop the leak, clear the area, patch the problem, mop the mess... all distict processes... no point mopping if it's still leaking.
    As a matter of priority, try to sort out the sleep pattern irrespective and maintain consistency - this is a body process that you're inclined towards, so it's achievable.

You say 'you know' but... ... if you know, you know, right?

I'm leaning on @Jeffrey's point on taking refuge... here is a solution to worry and doubt.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Try meditating on this: 'form' is 'emptiness' and 'emptiness' is 'form'

Liberate your form of anxiety by letting it dissolve into the emptiness of your true nature.
    next time you sit down and stand up bring to mind someone who inspires you deeply
  • An approach that I use to be able to sit with (or accept) a thought, is to act as an observer. I make the inside of my head very large, like a huge, huge room. Even an empty gymnasium if you like. Then I take the feeling, thought or memory, and I plunk it on the floor in the middle of this room. Then I observe it, just like a scientist would. I watch how it grows, and what I am doing to it to make it grow, or it shrinks, and I consider what it is that makes it shrink. It may be something I say or it may be time. It gives a person a sense that thoughts are not something that need to be defeated. I find that giving space and life, allows them to come and go without struggle.
    lobster
  • Woah93 said:

The title says it all really, if one wants to address and change certain negative patterns of thought he has become aware of occurring in daily life what is the best way to stay present and mindful and still sit with it without aversion or struggle? Just interested in learning how other's are doing it, seems lately I'm dealing with some anxiety and it only seems to be increasing. Especially at night even when I only had 2 hours of sleep the previous day I couldn't sleep. I felt very tired but some part of me just wouldn't let go for some reason and I began to feel anxious.

Sometimes, when we try too hard we become anxious. It is better not to try then.
    Jeffrey
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    footiam said:

Sometimes, when we try too hard we become anxious. It is better not to try then.

Being a little anxious is a small price to pay for many accomplishments.

• vinlyn said:

footiam said:

Being a little anxious is a small price to pay for many accomplishments.

A little anxiety is okay; not too much that it disrupt our life.
  • i was reflecting on my above post and cultivating the anecdote for anxiety is a must.

http://livingwellnevada.com/yoga-2/anecdote-for-anxiety/
  • Another approach which I found useful, was one on youtube. It was of a monk, talking about Tonglen I believe (I looked but I can't find the clip) and when dealing with an emotion he did not want to experience (such as anger), he would visualize himself, sitting down, and he would ask the emotion to tea. He only had one rule that anger had to obey to in order to be welcomed to tea, and that was that anger could not speak. I find this approach very useful.
  • Thank you all for your feedback, I have been steadily fixing my sleep schedule and the anxiety has reduced a bit, at least it isn't keeping me awake anymore. I have noticed that my meditation practice has been hard for me lately. The mind is very agitated and restless, it seems now that I'm less anxious agitation and anger has taken it's place. What an emotional rollercoaster, and the funny part is that I can't really think of any reason to be angry, or frustrated, but there it is.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    If sitting meditation is making you antsy then maybe walking meditation would suit you better for now.

If you can be open and still while moving, then maybe sitting will come easier later on. Walking meditation allows us to focus on our breath and our footfalls while having to take everything around us into consideration.

We can use meditation in our daily activities to practice mindfulness. Mindfulness is sometimes triggered by remindfulness so to be mindful while washing dishes, remind yourself you are washing dishes. Washing the dishes, we are aware that we are washing the dishes. We are not thinking about other deadlines or what movie to watch later, we are fully there, washing the dishes.
  • footiam said:

Woah93 said:

A light touch from the beginning of dharma to the end. I agree with footiam
    lobster
  • Woah93 said:

What an emotional rollercoaster, and the funny part is that I can't really think of any reason to be angry, or frustrated, but there it is.

Indeed.
    Ones emotional state changes. Anger is slightly more skilful than fear as it is a response that can lead to resolution, whereas fear can not resolve a situation. Anger is not helpful however compared with positive emotive conditions. Anger does dissipate and lessen with practice as does fear and anxiety and is replaced with more wholesome emotional states. We may not know the karmic cause of anger, though it can be named and explored in therapy.

Sitting with anger or frustration is interesting. It seems very intense and overwhelming. It is however very small and weak/protective. I always welcome, thank and mettafy (a new technical term to extend metta) afflictive emotions. They are dying for attention and when attended tend to die away in time anyhow . . .

:wave:
    Woah93
  • That's true, come to think of it in the past these periods of anxiety could steer me right into panic attacks, generally making life miserable, practicing meditation gave me a lot more control, more stable and less sensitive to my moods. If it were all sunshine and peace of mind it wouldn't be a "practice" right? :)