Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Daring Heart

ChazChaz The Remarkable ChazAnywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
Compassion or altruism is not about being perfect or just doing good; It’s about this daring heart that cherishes others and life itself.
~Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche - Rebel Buddha
howzenffEvenThird

Comments

• This is why I've never been comfortable with the idea of counting "merit" for generous acts. One doesn't practice altruism because of the potential brownie points earned (even if those are theoretically given away to benefit others), one does it because it's the right thing to do, and because one empathizes with others.
    MaryAnnezenff
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I agree, Dakini, although in Asia it's a very common way of chalking up "Dhamma points".
    Chaz
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    vinlyn said:

I agree, Dakini, although in Asia it's a very common way of chalking up "Dhamma points".

Not uncommon in the West, either. It's easy to develop a kind of merit badge mentality where we see our actions, our practice, and so on as a points-paying proposition. It's a kind of spiritual materialism.

In the Mahayana something called "Threefold Purity" is taught. The example I've received was "no gift, no giver, no recipient". As we come to greater realizations of shunyatha, we see the emptiness of phenomena and our compassion becomes progressively purer in regards to view and motivation. In "doing" something we excercise our ego - I am doing this, or I am doing that. In our relative existence there must be a do-er. For there to be a do-er there must be something to do and something to be done to. When we get around that, then we're on to something.

• Chaz said:

It’s about this daring heart

What's a 'daring heart'? Is it saying that we should be brave with our compassion; come out of our comfort zones, maybe risk something (our time or even personal safety) in the name of compassion?

Sounds good to me; metta from a mat seems too tame and pointless unless it leads to something practical that helps others.

MaryAnne
  • To admit that one is compassionate with a motive or ....... not at all compassionate ... that's what a daring heart is.
  • Tosh said:

What's a 'daring heart'?

Perhaps an adventurous and bold outlook beyond the 'safe' confines of limited interpretations.
    I've heard a native american expression along the lines of, 'Be a man with feeling heart'... feels similar to me.
    Chaz
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Tosh said:

What's a 'daring heart'?

Lack of fear. Bold.

"Heart", of course, doesn't refer to the muscle in our chest. For DPR it's means something much different - more like a quality of being. I once asked him what the phrase "Genuine Devotion" - commonly used in the Kagyu - meant. He said "Open Heart".
  • Chaz said:

Compassion or altruism is not about being perfect or just doing good; It’s about this daring heart that cherishes others and life itself.
    ~Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche - Rebel Buddha

There is no need for compassion if things are perfect and good.