Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you think its cruel to eat cats or dogs?

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited November 2013 in General Banter
Is it any worse than eating chicken or beef?

See 35th minute.

cvalue

Comments

• 1st precept, do not kill?
    cvalue
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    :coffee:
  • I eat cows but somehow find it hard to even imagine eating dogs or cats.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I think the process of harvesting animals is more tangibly cruel than the harvesting of vegetables. The difference between harvesting those two crops is easily sorted out by anyone willing to visit an abattoir and then compare it to a farm field.
    Societies varying views about which animals are OK to eat and which ones are not are just statements of social fashion.
    Invincible_summer
  • I am unfashionably a dharma omnivore. Would I eat dog, kittens or one of @eccentrics cute chickens, if they were on the menu? Sure. Am I cruel? Yes, certainly and the Buddha forbade eating puppy dogs. Bad, bad crusty!

I am especially cruel to vege-spammers . . . :rarr:

If you want to follow the precepts, be kind to carrots, eat your way to nirvana, good on you. Now go consume a good teaching, feel more virtuous than us demonic omnivores . . .
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/vegetarianism.htm

Invincible_summer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It's cruel to kill anyone for our consumption.

Why do you ask?
    Invincible_summer
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    hermitwin said:

Is it any worse than eating chicken or beef?

No, it's no worse. But it's still exceedingly cruel!

JainarayancvalueTheEccentric
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    meat is meat, the only difference in the animals killed is based on culture, the most obvious example being in the west we don't eat cats and dogs, in India many consider the cow sacred etc. Ukraine they like dogs etc. Horse is another common food animal depending on culture.

so no, there is no real difference. a being has died.

as for the whole underlying debate going on in here, the mere fact that we exist means other beings will suffer. beings die whether they are animals killed for meat, or countless smaller beings killed in our crop fields. The latter is just harder to see with out own eyes in videos and the like.
    Invincible_summer
  • vinlyn said:

:coffee:

BhikkhuJayasaraInvincible_summer
  • @how said: "I think the process of harvesting animals is more tangibly cruel than the harvesting of vegetables."
    We can't compare the two. When we cut our hair or nails, it doesn't hurt like when we cut our fingers.
    @lobster said: "If you want to follow the precepts, be kind to carrots, eat your way to nirvana, good on you. Now go consume a good teaching, feel more virtuous than us demonic omnivores . . . "
    We feel more virtuous than you demonic omnivores? Please don't be so ... I don't know what to say due to lack of word!!!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Those folks who continue to eat sentient life probably think this topic is as wearisome,
    as emancipation or slavery once was for everyone threatened by those subjects.

Keep far enough away from the nitty gritty consequences of an action and almost anything can be :coffee: reasoned away.

I think that whatever life we take to survive should be clearly witnessed every so often through the whole harvesting process just to face the responsibility for what our food choices create.
    To not do so for most of us is a curious propagation of mindlessness within a school that places so much importance on mindfulness.
    lobsterDavidVastmindInvincible_summer
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    The 'bliss of no regret'

All you have to do is consider every intention you have when you decide to do 'something' let's say eat a cat or dog or horse or pig or cow or carrot.

If you know the action will cause suffering - don't do it! Or you will regret and have to say 10 hail mary's or something.

If you know the action will not be a cause of suffering - then living like this will cause you no regret.

I love that one!
    cvalue
  • I believe it's wrong to eat any animals, so of course I wouldn't eat a cat or a dog. It just feels wrong. When I really think about it and examine my feelings while I watch where my food comes from, I felt sick. So I became vegan, except for eggs from my mom's pet chickens. It's just the only way for me. I don't demonize omnivores, I was one myself! Until very recently, actually. I made the change back in July. So who am I to judge? I ate animals for 20 years!
    cvalue
  • jlljll Veteran
    Koreans have been eating dogs for hundreds of years.

• I love my dogs(4Chihuahuas) like children. It would be hard to eat them or my children.
    Cats: seems like they would be pretty stringy and disgusting-hard to keep down.
    Don't know what this has to do with sinning-unless it's your neighbors cat-or dog.
    Personally I'm very fond of my trees. I eat them though-or at least their fruit. Ditto wheat and etc. As the monk said, while they cut another piece of his haunch: "All things work out for the best for those who love God and do his will."