Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

We fear being alone

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited November 2013 in General Banter
Not aloneness in the physical sense but being mentally alone in the sense that you're not occupied with anything. In short, we are afraid of doing nothing, simply being.

The question is, Why?

My theory is that for millions of years, our ancestors have lived together to protect one another from predators - so being with someone/something has become part of who we are. It must have been unthinkable to be alone, physically. Later on the physical 'spilled over' to the psychological - and it has now become unthinkable to be alone, mentally also.

That's why we can't just sit down and do nothing, although zen continues to harp on that. We become uneasy and restless because subconsciously we feel we're going to be attacked if alone, that we will be unprotected if alone (even though the modern world may provide relative safety and hence little probability of any actual danger).

So my point is, even when it comes to psychological aloneness the cause could be physical/historical.
CinorjerJeffrey

Comments

• EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    I'm sorry, I'm a bit hung up on a detail of what you wrote.
    ...we are afraid of doing nothing, simply being.
    That's why we can't just sit down and do nothing...
    Who is the we you speak of? You are making very large statements that seem a bit presumptuous to me. I'm assuming you mean 'we' in a much more general sense than my impression(and I'm just looking at the unimportant details of what you are saying?)

Perhaps my sensitivity on the matter comes from my inability to relate to the 'we' that seems to include myself as well.
    vinlynMaryAnneJainarayananataman
  • EvenThird said:

I'm sorry, I'm a bit hung up on a detail of what you wrote.

...we are afraid of doing nothing, simply being.
    Who is the we you speak of? You are making very large statements that seem a bit presumptuous to me. I'm assuming you mean 'we' in a much more general sense than my impression(and I'm just looking at the unimportant details of what you are saying?)

Perhaps my sensitivity on the matter comes from my inability to relate to the 'we' that seems to include myself as well.

We means most of humanity, if not all of them entirely.
  • Solitary confinement is a form of torture.

My amateur psychology says it must be because the process of communicating is essential for shaping and maintaining our ego; the ideas and attitudes we cherish and identify with.
    But I think all our certainties rely on getting confirmation from our social environment. When our minds are left in isolation they go berserk.

I think that’s a good reason for not doing long meditations on our own. A week (and longer) of meditation is potentially harmful for our mental wellbeing. We rock the boat. We need to be in a protected environment with someone around that we can talk to when we do that. At least that’s true for the first couple of times.
    Also I think the integrity of the teacher matters a lot when we put ourselves in such a psychologically vulnerable position.

BhikkhuJayasaralobster
  • One example is that - for me - in sesshin after a few days the motivation for being in sesshin drops away completely. At that stage I see crystal clear the undeniable absurdity of the whole thing.

The first time that happened to me was a shock. But the teacher assured me that most people have such a “crisis” after two or three days; that It will pass. And it does sort of.

It is weird that in a group of motivated people, who are doing the same thing, after some days many of them lose touch with their motivation. It must be due to the lack of communication.
    You can’t imagine how important one friendly wink or a minimal pat on the shoulder for encouragement can be when you’re there.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    A large part of why people are always trying to "busy" themselves mentally is because they are not use to just being with themselves, or they are too afraid to be. We are really our own best friend, but some people may be afraid to spend time with their best friend out of fear, loneliness, or perhaps the bringing up of past actions.
    poptartJainarayan

• I'm sorry, @Betaboy, but I have to publicly take myself out of your presumptuous "Royal We" stuff.

I wish you'd limit your 'deep-thinking' spiritual examinations of human flaws to the ones you have,
    and stop assuming you and I (or all of us) are exactly alike.

I don't fear being alone, I am not depressed, I don't find the world full of woe and disappointment, I don't question my Path, I don't feel I'm unlovable or lacking compassion, trapped by desires, or worry constantly about doing things 'right' or any of the other Debbie Downer issues you've been 'asking' about ....

Why not talk about you, honestly and openly, and drop this collective "we" nonsense.
    It's starting to get a little irritating.
    EvenThirdpommesetorangesvinlynBonsaiDoug
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    I'm more or less in the same boat as @MaryAnne on this.

@Betaboy
    Are you sure this would include most of humanity?
    ...and it has now become unthinkable to be alone...
    Unthinkable is quite a grandiose term. Maybe you did not mean it literally. I would think an average person can think about being alone both mentally and physically without much anguish. I know being physically alone is a cakewalk for me, and has been from a pretty young age. I'm not so much "uneasy" or "restless" as I am lethargic when alone in body & mind. Too much peace, not enough awareness perhaps?
    I would think most buddhists have moderate success at this from time to time, especially if they have been practicing for years.
    We become uneasy and restless because subconsciously we feel we're going to be attacked if alone, that we will be unprotected if alone...
    When I've felt restless it was due to impatience, and with it never came a sense of uneasiness. I'm not sure I understand your theory behind those feelings though, you are saying that anyone who has tried to 'just sit' meditation subconsciously feels as if they are going to be attacked when they feel uneasy/restless?
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited November 2013
    @EvenThird,

I want to clarify that I did not read your first comment in the thread, nor any others, before I responded to the OP. Sometimes I do that... just read the OP and then reply. (Sometimes it would be better to read everything first, sometimes it doesn't matter much).

It turns out we made similar comments :) Didn't mean to be a 'copy cat'. :p
    EvenThird
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I wonder if the spiritual realm's presumptuous expositors -- the "we" and "one" crowd -- aren't (aside from the aggrandizement of speaking for one and all) expressing the sense of loneliness that @betaboy alludes to.

Who will listen to me if I just tell my story or express my opinion without craving someone else's assent or support? "I" don't have as much clout as "we" or "one." "I" too would like to be important, to be noticed, to be accepted and perhaps loved ... but I am afraid no one will hear or care if I just say "I." "I" may be the fact, but "I" prefer the fancies.
    EvenThirdhowJeffrey
  • Is it possible to be anything other than alone?
    I definitely feel restless if I am unoccupied for too long. Not for want of company.
    If it's some kind of evolutionary conditioning, it's more likely anxiety about not getting enough done. We have always had to work hard to survive.
    A cave man was afraid to be alone in case his wife found him slacking off.
    Jeffrey
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited November 2013
    robot said:

Is it possible to be anything other than alone?
    I definitely feel restless if I am unoccupied for too long. Not for want of company.
    If it's some kind of evolutionary conditioning, it's more likely anxiety about not getting enough done. We have always had to work hard to survive.
    A cave man was afraid to be alone in case his wife found him slacking off.

Caveman and his wife? I wonder what the wedding ceremony would have been like: I now pronounce you caveman and wife. ;)
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Back to the topic.

Thanks for all the replies. My objective was to understand the present in terms of the past - evolutionary psychology. That was what I was getting at. And of course, the word 'we' is relevant because we have all evolved along similar lines over a long period of time. Many things are common to all of us.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    And many are not.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I think @betapoint has a point: Virtually everybody is occupied with doing. Just look in one's meditation to see if you can really do nothing. It is quite rare to not do anything, for me at least. Not to think, not to steer the mind, not to run after sights and sounds, after mental happiness, and not to run away from the opposite. How often has this happened to all of you?

I don't think it is necessarily evolutionary, though and even if it were, knowing that wouldn't really help anybody. The question why is better answered with the Buddhist answer: attachment. The reason we do so much (mentally) is that we are attached to doing. The fear is that we stop doing we will not matter or we will not exist. In a way it is a fear of death. In a way this doing is what creates our suffering. (Yes, I'm using 'we')
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2013
    @betaboy
    That's why we can't just sit down and do nothing, although zen continues to harp on that. We become uneasy and restless because subconsciously we feel we're going to be attacked if alone, that we will be unprotected if alone (even though the modern world may provide relative safety and hence little probability of any actual danger).

Who knows..but...

You could just as easily say that when we (historically) had nothing to do, it meant that we were safe enough from having to be wary of predators, filled with enough sustenance to not need to look for food and sheltered enough from the elements to not to need to work. In otherwords, having nothing to do could just as easily represent positive things.
  • Being alone and doing nothing seems like a waste of this precious human birth. We were made for more and our bodies know it. Hence the fear.

I do not see any contradiction with Buddhist practice here either. It is beneficial to take breaks and investigate the minds, but we do not do that type of formal practice all the time. Such investigation only makes sense if we take it's fruit "out there" and express what we learned to benefit the life around us.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    No, I can assure you I have no fear of myself! I have fear because I am conditioned to be fearful, not because I 'fear being alone' - being alone brings me many things but rarely fear.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    My fear of being by myself occurs (in the absence of distractions) when something is arising that I am been unwilling to face.
    edited November 2013
    my fear is that we are NOT alone... you know, those Aliens, the big headed grey ones with the black eyes that abduct you, not the face hugger ones that bust out of your stomach.
    MaryAnneEvenThirdvinlyn
  • Jayantha said:

my fear is that we are NOT alone... you know, those Aliens, the big headed grey ones with the black eyes that abduct you, not the face hugger ones that bust out of your stomach.

this is not general banter. Please do not be inappropriate. Thanks.
  • I agree with Original Post, when I feel the nothingness it always comes with a sense of fear. When I experience the sense of nothingness It truly feels like I am in Space and I lose all awareness of anything. The door that I "own" and am so familiar with is suddenly just a piece of wood with a knob. We are comfortable in our thoughts and our awareness. Sometimes when I enter a deep meditation I feel like ive lost all illusory sense of self. The irony is that the goal is to lose my sense of self but whenever I do all I want to do is go back because its scary.. We suppress this fear with awareness, this same awareness is what ultimately stops us from achieving consciousness. Most people have mistaken their awareness for consciousness.
    betaboy
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2013
    @betaboy is making a generalization. Of course he is. One cannot talk about humanity in general without doing so.

And he's right. Any good psychologist will tell you we are social animals driven to finding and bonding to tribal groups and any mental health official will tell you being alone...having nobody who cares if you live or die...does bad things to people. And one can feel desperately alone while surrounded by crowds. Being alone means having no human connection. A beggar sitting on a curb is alone even though multitudes walk past him.

In my work years ago for a suicide prevention hotline we were taught and I observed that the one common factor the callers would have would be a complaint about being alone and having nobody care.

As for meditation, for those who have never tried it, there is no lonelier place than a zazen hall. You're not there to be part of a group or encourage each other. The other meditators become invisible and it's just you and the cushion and your own mind, in a solitary struggle to get through the hours. In a recent thread about a woman who completed twelve years of "solitary" meditation, I noticed in the interview when asked if she was lonely, she said the daily appearance of food and occasional letters made her feel like she was part of a team. Her mind settled on that to provide the need not to be alone. She wasn't alone even though she never saw the people providing care. She had an entire sangha who cared about her, and she knew it.

I wouldn't say we fear being alone. We're motivated by the conflicting desires for privacy and to not be alone at the same time. It's why our desires can never be quenched. Many of them conflict so getting one means not getting the other.
    Chazbetaboy
  • There is also something else which people may have noticed: we'd rather be occupied with something (even something painful) than be unoccupied. Isn't that fascinating?

So the question is not doing away with occupation - just choosing the right occupation so that we can avoid extremes.

Isn't that so?
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    betaboy said:

There is also something else which people may have noticed: we'd rather be occupied with something (even something painful) than be unoccupied. Isn't that fascinating?

So the question is not doing away with occupation - just choosing the right occupation so that we can avoid extremes.

Isn't that so?

Not really.

In "choosing" something to occupy us, the object we choose is, in itself, an extreme. If we are choosing we are being presented with two "choices". We have one thing or another. One is right and the other wrong. This is classic dualism. When we no longer choose, when there is no right or wrong to choose from, then we have "right occupation".

• betaboy said:

Jayantha said:

this is not general banter. Please do not be inappropriate. Thanks.
    Actually, it is.
    Both the category of the thread, and the context of @Jayantha 's post...

BANTER:

transitive verb
    1: to speak to or address in a witty and teasing manner
    2: archaic : delude
    3: to speak or act playfully or wittily
    ChazbetaboyvinlynBhikkhuJayasara
    edited November 2013
    Well, its a half joke.. In quite all honesty my biggest fear as a kid and into being a young adult were those aliens, id have dreams of being abducted and all that to the point where as a 10 year old kid i was up till 3am in sheer terror trying to sleep.

These days if im in the middle of the woods alone at night and fear of aliens, bigfoot, or mountain lions comes into my mind, i recognize fear for what it is and give metta to them all, abiding in peace.

Metta is the answer, what is the question?
    betaboy
  • Trungpa rinpoche said that as the path progresses even when not alone you feel alone moreso.

Also there is a craving or thirst for stimulus. This is one of the purposes of meditation to show you that tanha, thirst.
  • MaryAnne said:

I'm sorry, @Betaboy, but I have to publicly take myself out of your presumptuous "Royal We" stuff.

MaryAnne