Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Science of Meditation

I found this article a few weeks ago on how meditation actually benefits us from a scientific viewpoint in lamen's terms we can understand. I'm certain some of you have seen this science already, but thought I'd post it for those who haven't:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/use-your-mind-change-your-brain/201305/is-your-brain-meditation

I meditated for 45 minutes with a group today, a bit longer than I usually do alone, and feel fantastic. My days without meditation in the morning are just more frustrating, stressful and unbalanced.
anatamanMaryAnne

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    'uh oh! -fearful of this one LOL

re-read it seriously but forget all the anatomical and physiological references. I did a neuroscience degree and there is not much here really.

I have nothing else to say on this.

Oh hang on a moment I do - take yet another look and you will see the "I am trying to sell you my book- this is nothing more than a disguised self-help book advertisement!"

There is no 'me centre' for crying out loud! That is the point of meditation.

• Pretty decent article.
    And I'm very glad that the last paragraph in it almost puts enough stress on a couple of things:

1. Meditation does not always work for everyone...
    2. Those who have pre-existing mental or emotional issues should seek a qualified meditation teacher or therapist who incorporates meditation...

My number 3, below, wasn't really emphasized at all, but:

3. Meditation is great for many, but for some it's too difficult. BUT don't give up, because moments of mindfulness throughout the day, can be just as effective if one has other issues or problems when it comes to actually sitting the cushion.
    Self-help... Get it! This is a bloody Psychology magazine (they make money playing with minds for a living these people do!).

I read this article in a totally diferent way to you Marie-anne, but you are not necessarily wrong, I may be wrong but I have a different perspective - let me explain.

Click on the authors image - I liked the article to begin with - felt comfortable, reeled me in, made me feel 'vulnerable', and the last part instills a very subtle and almost unnoticeable fear:

'I have always worked with a meditation teacher or mentor and I would suggest you do the same, as a teacher can help you figure out what is right for you and guide you through any difficulties you may be having. Who will be your teacher - read my book and I'll tell you!

OK - Don't get it - No more posts from me on this one

Mettha
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I am well aware of the magazine Psychology Today. I started reading it nearly 40 yrs ago. Admittedly, I haven't read it regularly for the last 10 yrs or so; but I realize what kind of magazine it is.
    It is not exactly a "self-help" magazine. Not saying one can't view many of their articles that way, but that's not exactly their entire objective. Neither is it a 'text book' for psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors, etc.
    It falls somewhere in between, IMO.

Psychology Today isn't exactly a huge money maker magazine, you know, like Cosmopoliton or Better Homes & Gardens, either. ;)

As for instilling fear... well, for SOME people, people with mental health issues, both diagnosed and merely suspected, they may really have a bad time trying to "still the mind" and "focus on emptiness" while their mind fights and does just the opposite. Many people on meds for mental issues and imbalances *can't* meditate effectively and some not at all, no matter how hard they try; and yes, it CAN be 'damaging' to their psyche and self esteem -- because they can't do what 'everyone tells them' is soooo easy and sooo helpful.

I think you are really over-reacting to the idea that you believe they are "screwing with your mind" just to sell magazines.
    IMO I'd rather see a word or two of caution to self-helping meditating newbies, than to constantly hear them told meditation 'cures all the ills one could have" and it's sooooo easy, and soooo effective.
    It isn't always easy and it's not always effective, not for everyone.

Ok just 1 more post - MMMMMmmmmmmm........ - no I'll let it go and have a cup of tea, mint I think!

:coffee:
  • @anataman said: "There is no 'me centre' for crying out loud! That is the point of meditation. "

Really? Which type of meditation are you talking about? Buddhist meditation?
    De-stressing meditation? Mindfulness meditation? Christian meditation on the gospels?
    I didn't realize there is only one point to meditating for everyone....

Enjoy your tea. Perhaps chamomile might soothe your jangled nerves a bit better.
    anataman
    no definitely mint - it leaves a more refreshing taste in your mouth!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

I didn't realize there is only one point to meditating for everyone....

Yes, there are all sorts of different approaches which can be called "meditation".
  • I'm curious now, under what conditions or what type of people should not try to meditate?
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran

I'm curious now, under what conditions or what type of people should not try to meditate?

When the Navy Yard shooter when on the rampage, many people suggested that one shouldn't meditate if you have schizophrenia, they speculated that it would fail to help. On the otherhand, all sorts of things fail to help, like cold baths. So it wouldn't be very logical to suggest people with schizophrenia should neither bathe nor meditate.

In Jack Kornfields, "Bringing Home the Dharma" he has a chapter on mental illness and meditation. He says that behavior associated with mental illness in a meditation retreat is super rare-- you have to run a retreat with 1000s of participants to see a few people who have an episode, which to me sounds like the expected rate of mental health problems & crisises in the general population. On the otherhand, altered states of consciousness (Alice and wonderland-like feelings of being very big or very small, and other oddities, are not uncommon, but imho, this is madness in the same way dreaming that you're flying is "madness")

I would guess that people prone to catatonic schizophrenia (where they just stop moving) might not want to meditate, lest they trigger an episode of not moving for a very long time.

Meditation done poorly, with a racing or wandering mind, (as I would expect someone suffering from mental illness) is probably as dangerous as sitting on a bus. If meditation is indeed as dangerous as some people would like to think, then maybe we should walk up and down the bus with a stick and a say *whack!* "Stop meditating! You're putting us all at risk!"

Another angle on the question has to do with how powerful people want meditation to be. If you really believe that meditating will give you the power to fly, then hey, this is some powerful woo, not to be played with by civilians and amateurs for risk of incalculable danger. For the record, I think meditation is about as powerful as a book or a laptop computer or a vitamix.
    Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I often wonder if Christians have these discussions about prayer.....
    AFA...it's affects on certain people....

I know it's not the same thing as meditation....but AFA the tools
    they utilize...because meditation is one of our tools for teaching...
  • @matthewmartin said, in part:

"Meditation done poorly, with a racing or wandering mind, (as I would expect someone suffering from mental illness) is probably as dangerous as sitting on a bus.
    If meditation is indeed as dangerous as some people would like to think, then maybe we should walk up and down the bus with a stick and a say *whack!* "Stop meditating! You're putting us all at risk!"

It's not so much meditation with certain (pre-existing) mental conditions is "dangerous"... as it is that trying to meditate with certain (pre-existing) mental conditions can be very difficult, and in the end may not be "helpful" at all.
    (Not helpful is a far cry from claiming something is "dangerous" - and I don't think anyone here so far has claimed that ).

This can lead to frustration, disappointment, and yes, *sometimes* to exaggerating the condition even further.
    Someone suffering from significant depression, or other mental issues being repeatedly encouraged to use 'meditation' as the answer to all their problems, and face it, we often see that kind of advice -right here in this very forum - is being set up to fail, IMO, more often than not.
    (Heck, I've seen people tell others to essentially ignore doctors, throw away meds, and just meditate!).
    If there is some sort of teacher, therapist or guide involved to help them through the rough spots and shaky confidence issues that might crop up while beginning meditation routines, well, then they might have a fighting chance...

To me, claiming meditation can oh-so-easily overcome mental illness issues and problems, well, it's like telling a Christian that if they sit kneel, and pray hard enough, you know- really concentrate on the words - and pray without fail, every single day, for at least an hour... well, they are going to be able to magically bypass all their mental & physical health problems; get right to the meat of the matter and greatly improve their lives. Provided they 'do it right' -of course.
    Set up to fail, 95% of the time....
    VastmindEvenThird
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited November 2013

I'm curious now, under what conditions or what type of people should not try to meditate?

Well, for example; People who hear voices, people with deep, debilitating depression, people with issues like (intense) OCD, or severe PTSD, people taking 'serious' meds for mental issues ... these things should all be taken into account, on an individual basis, by professionals, instead of merely assuming Meditating, (on their own, without other methods or therapy incorporated along with that meditation), is the answer.
    VastmindEvenThird
  • I meditated for 45 minutes with a group today, a bit longer than I usually do alone, and feel fantastic. My days without meditation in the morning are just more frustrating, stressful and unbalanced.
    Yes indeed it removes the spikiness for me too. Very 'invigorating', not quite the right word but I feel better for having a daily practice. Yoga has a similar effect.
    People have given good advice. I think it is about unreal expectations. It won't cure illness but it will empower or enable your appreciation of a 'more balanced being'. The funny thing is the centering ripples into other areas . . . :wave:
    ClayTheScribeVastmind
    edited November 2013
    Interesting...I agree about the individual basis. You have to get to know
    someone to know their delusions...and how best they could apply the
    general tools of Buddhism. I'm not a fan of mass medicine. I understand
    the teachers have good intentions...but the Dharma is so much about personal
    experience that the backdrop is an important aspect, IMO. It's about the
    quality of the results ....not quantity. Are you just another number in your Sangha?
    As a teacher...do you know your students well enough to spirtually guide them?
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Re: the stopping taking meds in favor of meditation alone
    I agree there that that would be reckless.

To my surprise, there is secular research in favor of using meditation for treating schizophrenia.

ref: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19267396

Again, I agree, meditation isn't going to get the remarkable results that anti-psychotic meds sometimes get. A fascinating article able the sole psychiatrist in Bhutan has fascinating stories about the efficacy of traditional Buddhist approaches to schizophrenia and modern drugs (in short, drugs sometimes worked wonders, rituals didn't do anything at all):

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/09/09/meet_the_overwhelmed_psychiatrist_in_the_worlds_happiest_country.html

re: doctor's advice for religious practice
    You ever see those warnings on exercise videos? "Consult your doctor!" You can't read an instruction label for anything health related without it saying "Consult your doctor!" Your fly is down? "Consult your doctor!" As a healthy guy, if I asked my doctor if I could exercise, he'd probably be annoyed that I was wasting his time & write hypochondriac on my file.

If I consulted my doctor to find out if it's safe to pray, meditate, or chant, that doctor is going to have to overcome a pretty strong urge to *not* try to sway you one way or the other-- who is he to tell me how to practice my religion? (except in the case where someone wants to replace medical approaches with religious ones, praying instead of vaccinating, meditating instead of antibiotics, chanting instead of taking anti-psychotic pills.)

And I'm not going to get into alternative medicine.
  • Vastmind said:

Interesting...I agree about the individual basis. You have to get to know
    someone to know their delusions...and how best they could apply the
    general tools of Buddhism. I'm not a fan of mass medicine. I understand
    the teachers have good intentions...but the Dharma is so much about personal
    experience that the backdrop is an important aspect, IMO. It's about the
    quality of the results ....not quantity. Are you just another number in your Sangha?
    As a teacher...do you know your students well enough to spirtually guide them?

You brought up an interesting point again, @Vastmind that I brought up earlier as well...
    There are all types of meditation, with all sorts of goals set within them. Not all meditation is about "being a Buddhist" or even about a spiritual path of any sort.
    The OP was an article about meditation in a Psychology magazine... not a Buddhist or spiritual magazine.

I think taking the mild (too mild, IMO) 'warnings' given at the end of the article and assuming the author meant to apply them to any and all meditation practice and us assuming it means only our Buddhist meditation practices, is like comparing sweet cherries and sour cherries.
    Both fruit, both good, but they aren't always interchangeable for every recipe...

edited November 2013
    Meditation without Buddhism sounds like prayer without God...I dunno...
    it's always been hard for me to grasp that concept. Relaxing and unwinding, yes..
    but full on meditation....I dunno...again...I think it's a backdrop/context kinda thing...
    Buddhism is the context to understanding what meditation reveals to us....
  • Vastmind said:

Meditation without Buddhism sounds like prayer without God...I dunno...
    it's always been hard for me to grasp that concept. Relaxing and unwinding, yes..
    but full on meditation....I dunno...

exactly! many styles, many methods, many goals....

Hey! you forgot my favorite... different strokes for different folks hahaha :)
    MaryAnne
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I'm on six psychoactive medications. I don't feel as good with those medicines. But meditation is VERY beneficial. It's all relative. I can't (so far) enter jhana but relative to not meditating I am doing 100% better. I get good Shamata just by assuming the meditative position. It teaches me that the voices (psychotic) that I hear are just empty voices/thoughts. Refuge in the dharma also steadies me like Jesus who made the waters calm during a storm. Or like a shepherd with his/her flock of sheep. If I am on my last leg I have enormous devotion to the dharma that was forged in the crucible of my suffering. Buddha said faith was founded upon suffering. (in a sutra someone posted last month). And jhana is a purifying?? technique, but it is not nirvana so I can work on meditation even with stormy meditation. Pema Chodron said the five points of meditation are: being an unconditional friend to yourself, seeing what is there, sitting with difficult states with forbearance, be in the present, and not making a big deal with phenomena. I can access all of those five points even though I have a mixture of nerves (distress) and relief (shamata) during my meditaiton.

Pema Chodron also said, shockingly, that the purpose of meditation is not to feel good. Think about it and read some Trungpa rinpoche. It's also not to feel bad. Like the beetles might have said "all we need is equanimity.

My break with reality actually was the starting point for me meditating which I have done for 13 years. Openness meditation is self sealing and not dangerous. If you are not ready nothing will happen and in that case you still benefit from the eightfold path if not the noble eightfold path.
    matthewmartinHamsakacvalue
  • Most obviously, using meditation as some sort of replacement for traditional therapy, medical care and psychiatric care would be reckless and dangerous. I've suffered from depression and anxiety for many years but took medication and did regular therapy and all that, along with the meditation and reiki, helped tremendously to lift me out of most of it that now I'm beginning to taper off my psych meds. No what I'm asking is what types of peoples or minds should absolutely not to meditation because it would "harm" them? I didn't even think meditation, when done right, could cause harm. I mean even Pema Chodron says if you're the most vile, violent person in the world, you can benefit from meditation. I just have time believing someone simply adding meditation to their lives could actually hurt them.

And of course you can meditate without being a Buddhist, considering most societies and most spiritual paths, including some aspects of Christianity, encourage meditation. However it is true one would probably want to form some kind of ethical system at least, say if they're atheist, because your meditation sessions are going to be very difficulty if you're abusing or treating people, or yourself, poorly. At least this is what I've found and why I try to follow the Eightfold Path.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2013

Most obviously, using meditation as some sort of replacement for traditional therapy, medical care and psychiatric care would be reckless and dangerous. I've suffered from depression and anxiety for many years but took medication and did regular therapy and all that, along with the meditation and reiki, helped tremendously to lift me out of most of it that now I'm beginning to taper off my psych meds. No what I'm asking is what types of peoples or minds should absolutely not to meditation because it would "harm" them? I didn't even think meditation, when done right, could cause harm. I mean even Pema Chodron says if you're the most vile, violent person in the world, you can benefit from meditation. I just have time believing someone simply adding meditation to their lives could actually hurt them.

And of course you can meditate without being a Buddhist, considering most societies and most spiritual paths, including some aspects of Christianity, encourage meditation. However it is true one would probably want to form some kind of ethical system at least, say if they're atheist, because your meditation sessions are going to be very difficulty if you're abusing or treating people, or yourself, poorly. At least this is what I've found and why I try to follow the Eightfold Path.

I think you have mistaken what I said about Pema Chodron. She is welcoming of mentally ill. She says that all the qualities, five of them I mentioned. Anyone can practice the five qualities. She, otherwise, said that the purpose of meditation is not to feel good (or bad) and that applies not only to the mentally ill, but also to everyone, Cooing and fondling your rapture can lead to a heaven realm.

edited November 2013
    'And of course you can meditate without being a Buddhist, considering most societies and most spiritual paths, including some aspects of Christianity, encourage meditation.'

I didn't say you can't. In fact, my teacher/lineage encourages it...I only said....
    I still don't understand how eventually you can marry the two..just from the
    'out there' concept to the ...ok, now I'm 'in here'. It seems to re-enforce duality
    to me....I'm starting to go off topic...carry on...
  • I meditated for 45 minutes with a group today, a bit longer than I usually do alone, and feel fantastic. My days without meditation in the morning are just more frustrating, stressful and unbalanced.
    . . . gonna quote that again.
    Feeling 'fantastic' is known to improve your physical, emotional and mental health. I am sure we are all aware of studies . . .

I would urge people not feeling calmer, better (you may be out of touch with yourself and a journal would provide insight in retrospect) to change their morning practice to prostrations. Get the blood pumping, health benefits. Or yoga. If you have a morning health practice, your life will move towards less suffering.

No effort? Remain a pudding.

Time for me to sit with the pudding that I laughingly call 'myself'. :wave:
    Time to feel fantastic . . . :thumbsup:
  • Hi @MaryAnne,

assuming you would like to practice meditation, maybe you are setting the bar too high? Sitting in a chair and watching the breath for 1 minute per day is also a meditation practice, and from there you will probably be able to extend it if you want. Also, I think that many people (including myself) don't think of meditation as you might believe we do. I'm quite sure many of us feel like "I'm kind of a failure at meditation, but I still like doing it".
  • @Lobster. I'm not saying I feel just peachy and don't struggle in my meditation. I do. I'm just saying often the result is I feel better. But I don't meditate just to feel better and calmer, I do so because it is part of my path and I want to practice being in the moment as much as possible. Meditation, for me, provides a good ground work for the rest of the day to better be mindful and deal better with any problems that arise.
  • @Lobster. I'm not saying I feel just peachy and don't struggle in my meditation.
    Understood. :)

Constant preachiness would be an impediment. If feeling euphoric was a constant, then we would have to 'kill the Buddha' or move out of the seductive Heavenly Realm.
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/tp/Six-Realms-of-Existence.htm

That is not required.

As I always say to the Buddha, 'get your tits on, we have suffering to dance with!' . . . Does she listen to me, sitting all perfect and enlightened?

Never! :crazy:
  • lobster said:

I meditated for 45 minutes with a group today, a bit longer than I usually do alone, and feel fantastic. My days without meditation in the morning are just more frustrating, stressful and unbalanced.
    . . . gonna quote that again.
    Feeling 'fantastic' is known to improve your physical, emotional and mental health. I am sure we are all aware of studies . . .

I would urge people not feeling calmer, better (you may be out of touch with yourself and a journal would provide insight in retrospect) to change their morning practice to prostrations. Get the blood pumping, health benefits. Or yoga. If you have a morning health practice, your life will move towards less suffering.

No effort? Remain a pudding.

Time for me to sit with the pudding that I laughingly call 'myself'. :wave:
    Time to feel fantastic . . . :thumbsup:

Be careful. Being a pudding may be hazardous to your health.

lobster
  • lobster said:

@Lobster. I'm not saying I feel just peachy and don't struggle in my meditation.
    Understood. :)

Constant preachiness would be an impediment.

Freudian slip? ;)
    lobster
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I don't need science to tell me what my experience has already proven to me, and what the Buddha taught us 2600 years ago. So far good old Sid has been right on the money for me.

and of course with new fads like MBCT and such, psychology will definitely push these kinds of articles. I suppose if it helps people its all good though.
  • Freudian slip?
    Yes :o

I find a morning discipline, chanting, puja, yoga etc improves well being. Everyone knows it. I do preach it. :o