Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

suffering and attachment to relief

When I have attachment and slugishness at some point that breaks and peace comes through. This is not only in meditation but also daily awareness. So when that peace comes I just go back into the samsaric cycle and crave the good feelings of non-grasping. So it is like a catch 22.

I put this in Buddhism for beginners because I think it is immediately felt by beginners but also is persistant (for me) a long way down the road.

I wonder if anyone knows what I am talking about.
banned_crab

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

It interesting how freedom and clarity have so little to do with comfort & discomfort.
    Jeffrey
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I definitely relate. The resolution seems to be somewhere in the experiencing of conditioned arising, looking at it from an intellectual standpoint. So much suffering goes *poof* when it's conditions for the suffering are understood . . . perhaps in this case, the journey 'there' is just as important as the arrival (awakeness, enlightenment). We are undoing so much genetic (karmic, environmental, etc etc) conditioning that it is unkind to ourselves to get judgmental about 'being relieved'.

Perhaps one day you'll suddenly realize a particular suffering just hasn't happened for rather a long time . . . or there'll be a sudden breakthrough during meditation.

I am just beginning to understand dependent origination, when it comes to the meat and bones of my life. I've lived long enough that age related wisdom has rid me of many experiences that used to plague me no longer do. So, I have plenty of faith that suffering can indeed be reduced or eliminated on this path, esp now that I am practicing DELIBERATELY. My intention is set and clear, which causes much else to follow :)

Gassho
    LG