Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fukushima Disaster Documentary

I saw a documentary on the Fukushima disaster last night (and before you jump on me it had many credible scientists and sources lol), but the radiation released already is around 10x worse than that of Chernobyl. The maps show that the convectional currents have already carried a load of highly radioactive material to the West coast of the US and inland somewhat. All of the material is heading East of Japan due to the currents and the ocean.

Now if an earthquake of around magnitude 7 or more strikes the building holding cesium rods before the prediction cleanup time of 1,500 cesium rods by 2006 happens, the building that holds them which and which does not have any machinery to help as it was destroyed by the tsunami and also it is highly radioactive will collapse. This will almost certainly cause a nuclear fire, remember it is cesium which is HIGHLY reactive with water. There are 6,000 or so more rods located very close and the fire would engulf them also, this would as predicted release 85x more cesium into the atmosphere than that of Chernobyl.

Scientists on this documentary have agreed that if this happens, the Northern hemisphere would need to be evacuated, Some have said if it does happen they are going to leave. Already in Tokyo soil samples from 5 different areas have been taken by a US scientist and the radiation is at the level often associated with toxic waste. The governments are playing it down and trying to hush it up from main stream media because of the money involved in nuclear energy and worry of mass panic. Imagine if Tokyo was evacuated, in fact it needs to be but isn't.

if you have 1 hour spare then please feel free to watch the documentary and make of it what you will, I think we are dealing with a very very tragic disaster, one that the vast majority of people do not even fully understand or know about. The effects of this will not be seen for at least 2-6 years within the mass human population, but it has already been seen in wildlife. Tuna on the coast of the US have been found with high levels of plutonium and there have been reports of animals beaching themselves on crazy levels, animals with tumors etc. I really do not know what is going to happen but the consequences of this may be very dire indeed, and why? Money, incompetence and greed. Here is the link fora better look and what I have tried to illustrate.

Comments

• I'm feeling pretty sick after watching that.
  • @robot is it you who lives in Japan? I am pretty sure there was a frequent poster in here who lives in Japan. Anyway I personally would leave Japan entirely if I happened to live there now. The fact that the soil samples in Tokyo (250km away) are similar in radiation levels to toxic waste would be enough for me to leave.
  • No, I'm in Thailand right now. I'm not holding out much hope for my home on the west coast of Canada right now. Or my fishing career
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Wow I am sorry to hear that robot, that's pretty tragic. There are so many people to blame here, Tepco, the Soviet Gov, US Gov, NATO, the Japanese Gov and a few others as you know as you have seen the video. I hope you can salvage something from back home, but please think before you sell fish to others, at least purchase a geiger counter or something if and when you return home, it wouldn't be ethical to be involved in selling radioactive fish to people and knowing so.

If the convectional currents were different and it all blew this way, towards Thailand I would be gone already, but they aren't and this stuff has been spilling out for over 2 years non stop. I have stopped eating seafood for a long time now though because of this, nobody else seems to know or care, but you cannot see the radiation, plankton and fish migrate, the radiation spreads.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Well, time will tell whether it turns into a catastrophe for the west coast or not. The video paints a very grim picture and is quite believable and effective. I'm not too worried about myself, since the cancer can get you anytime and I've had a good run at it so far. It really would be tragic if my kids have to pack up and move into a new and totally unknown world where millions of people are displaced.
  • Interesting thing to ponder....

*IF* we hadn't filled our atmosphere to the point where we are, (with pollution from other sources), there might have been a much, much better chance that most of the radiation set loose from this nuclear disaster could have been absorbed into the upper atmosphere and/or dissipated to the point of much less harm for everyone at ground level.... just sayin'.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Yea it is a grim picture indeed and the video IMO is one that goes against the grain in the sense that it has not folded to corporations and has painted the picture of how it actually is, using credible scientists and professionals who are willing to tell the truth.

We have screwed this planet up well and truly, I am afraid that things may be out of control and we have lost the reins on this entirely.

I am sorry @MaryAnne but studies already have shown that the radiation from this disaster has landed in Tokyo at astonishing levels and even in slight elevated levels in the Milk in the US. That is now, if there is another earthquake (and we are talking about the most active tectonic place in the world) in the next few years, the whole place will start a nuclear fire that cannot be put out with water. if you have not seen the video and have an hour to spare I insist that you do, there is a lot at stake here for mankind in general at a global scale.
  • The stuff that is escaping into the sea is a huge problem. And they also described the "China Syndrome" issue that is going on there. The core of those reactors have melted down and are burning into the ground and into the ground water making it impossible to contain.
  • robot said:

The stuff that is escaping into the sea is a huge problem. And they also described the "China Syndrome" issue that is going on there. The core of those reactors have melted down and are burning into the ground and into the ground water making it impossible to contain.

This is one of the 3 problems described in the video which is towards the end yes. The reactors that have melted down are literally burning through the ground and have met the water table, the ocean. The stuff leaks out and you can see the map sequences. They said the reactors have a 500 day head start of any attempt to contain them, and working around that plant is deadly even for 1 day, so what the hell are they to do? It is a situation totally screwed up. the worst scenario is the cesium fire though from the earthquake, but whatever happens it is all still terrible and that is at best. People do not fully understand how bad this is, it has the potential to totally change the world and kill a huge proportion of the human race. Yet because of financial gain and saving face in governments, it is played down and kept under covers.