Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mantras, songs, prayers earworms

Sorry for all the seemingly dumb and over-thought questions (I do have ocpd, after all :screwy: ). But this practice is new to me, having rejected the rituals and dogma of Christianity and Hinduism. I don't want to fall into the trap of intrusive thoughts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts#Blasphemous_religious_thoughts namely:
fears of sinning or breaking a religious law or performing a ritual incorrectly
fears of omitting prayers or reciting them incorrectly
Things like that.

Anywhoo... I've collected a number of bhajans (devotional songs) for my iPod and iPhone. I listen to these through my truck's radio, or in the gym, or wherever. Now, most of them are for the Hindu deities but I like the music. I love Indian and eastern music. Most of them are mantras and prayers to the Hindu deities (I'm also collecting Buddhist chants now), and sometimes they get stuck in my head (earworms, which people with ocd are prone to), until I flush them out with something like Macarena or Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. :lol: I'm wondering how wrong or disrespectful it is be mentally chanting śrī krishna śaranam mama ("śrī krishna is my refuge") or om namo bhagavate vāsudevāya. I mentally chant namo amitābha buddha often throughout the day. I also have a really nice mesmerizing nam myoho renge kyo that gets stuck too.

OK, I know this is all really dumb and over-thought. :o
BhikkhuJayasara

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Words are wind..

I wouldnt worry about being disrespectful because of words, so long as it is not hurting others. I love the pali language for its simplicity and beauty, sometimes i just listen to the metta chant for a nice peaceful mind. Or since i love playing with words i will use pali terms in a variety of ways.

If you feel enjoyment and some peace out pit of it, whats the issue?
    Jainarayan
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Jayantha said:

Words are wind..

I wouldnt worry about being disrespectful because of words, so long as it is not hurting others. ...

If you feel enjoyment and some peace out pit of it, whats the issue?

That's exactly what I wanted to know. I also realize that there are many deities from other religions like Hinduism and Taoism that probably should and can be revered and honored. Guan yu, the Taoist warrior god is Sangharama Bodhisattva and a dharmapala in Chinese Buddhism. So I guess it is all good. Thanks. :)
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Examine your intention, and also if your actions are unskillful for yourself or others. Then move forward.
  • That clarifies and justifies it even more. Here's why, I think...

I no longer believe Krishna is God, but a god, a deva or perhaps a buddha or bodhisattva (that would give some internet Hindus a cerebral hemorrhage :hair: ). While there is a lot of common sense and wisdom the Buddha's teachings, and form the core of practice, and might be enough, there is also wisdom in the Bhagavad Gita that can be used in one's upāya. For example, chapter 12:

13-14. Friendly and compassionate to all and without any touch of hatred; devoid of possessiveness and arrogance; ever content and contemplative; alike in happiness and misery; self-controlled and firm in conviction; dedicated to Me with all his heart and all his soul - dear to Me is a man who is thus devoted.

15. Who causes fear to none and whom none can frighten, who is thus free from the agitation of the moods caused by euphoria, anger, and excitement - such a person too is dear to Me.

16. Desireless, pure, resourceful, unattached, unworried and without any sense of self-centred agency - a devotee thus endowed is dear to Me.

17. He who is free from elation, anger, sorrow, and craving, who neither seeks the pleasant nor shuns the unpleasant - dear to Me is the man who is thus devoted.

18-19. Alike to friend and foe, alike in honour and insult, alike in heat and cold, alike in praise and blame - unattached, contented, homeless, and steady in mind - dear to Me is a man who is thus devoted.
  • There is an old saying from back in the 1960's - way before most of you were born, no doubt, ;)
    " If it feels good - (and doesn't hurt anybody) - do it! "
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited November 2013

I don't want to fall into the trap of intrusive thoughts

Then let go of them when they arise. Thoughts need not be a trap.
    I'm wondering how wrong or disrespectful it is be mentally chanting śrī krishna śaranam mama ("śrī krishna is my refuge") or om namo bhagavate vāsudevāya.
    Not very.

They may not be meritorious or benficial, but wrong? As compared to what? Disrespectful? Of what? Who?

I mentally chant namo amitābha buddha often throughout the day. I also have a really nice mesmerizing nam myoho renge kyo that gets stuck too.
    Well, if you think that's wrong or disrespectful, or might be, then stop doing it. There's no rule saying you have to chant any mantra. Even once. Even the most blessed phrasing in the world can be an object of attachment and source of suffering. Meditate instead.

Jainarayanlobster
  • MaryAnne said:

There is an old saying from back in the 1960's - way before most of you were born, no doubt, ;)
    " If it feels good - (and doesn't hurt anybody) - do it! "

I'm old enough to remember that. :lol:
    MaryAnne
  • Chaz said:

I don't want to fall into the trap of intrusive thoughts

Then let go of them when they arise. Thoughts need not be a trap.
    It's something I'm working on eliminating. It's a combination of my Roman Catholic upbringing with its attendant guilt and being ocpd.
    I'm wondering how wrong or disrespectful it is be mentally chanting śrī krishna śaranam mama ("śrī krishna is my refuge") or om namo bhagavate vāsudevāya.
    Not very.

They may not be meritorious or benficial, but wrong? As compared to what? Disrespectful? Of what? Who?
    Disrespectful? To Amitābha, though it's probably more disrespectful to sell-short and second-guess the One of Infinite Compassion and Infinite Light.
    I mentally chant namo amitābha buddha often throughout the day. I also have a really nice mesmerizing nam myoho renge kyo that gets stuck too.
    Well, if you think that's wrong or disrespectful, or might be, then stop doing it. There's no rule saying you have to chant any mantra. Even once. Even the most blessed phrasing in the world can be an object of attachment and source of suffering. Meditate instead.

Well, remember that these are not mantras or songs I deliberately start chanting, but when they get stuck in my head I tend to just run with them and let them play. I suppose if I don't give this much thought, I won't give it much thought. Problem solved. I can be so dense! :rolleyes: :D