Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Losing our borders

DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
If "self" is just made up borders caused by the interaction of skandhas, when we see through "self" or even die, would we not then blend in with the rest rather than disappear?

Or is this another imponderable I'm not supposed to talk about?

Vastmind

Comments

• My teacher says that we keep our connections with others and she calls them 'heart connections'. So they are very valuable.
    Davidblu3reesova
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    ourself said:

You can talk about it as much as you like. No one is going to take away your super-secret vajra decoder ring.

Getting the right answer may be impossible around here, but that won't stop anyone from trying.

sovaDavid
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2013
    ourself said:

If "self" is just made up borders caused by the interaction of skandhas, when we see through "self" or even die, would we not then
    blend in with the rest rather than disappear?

With death I am going to have to choose door number 3.
    Blend & disappear!
    With Self and alive, it's far more fluid with much wandering back and forth through door number 3. Practice runs for the main event.
    Davidlobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    how said:

ourself said:

If "self" is just made up borders caused by the interaction of skandhas, when we see through "self" or even die, would we not then
    blend in with the rest rather than disappear?

With death I am going to have to choose door number 3.
    Blend & disappear!
    Like a plume of smoke... Iknew I should have used dissipate as an option.
    With Self and alive, it's far more fluid with much wandering back and forth through door number 3. Practice runs for the main event.
    Sounds like the middle way.

• When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be an anti-immigrant rant, lol.
    David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2013
    betaboy said:

When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be an anti-immigrant rant, lol.

In a way I guess it is, lol... Or at least it could be.

I don't believe in immigrants because we all come from the same place. If I had my way, all geographical borders would be for preferential reasons only.

United countries of Earth.

sova
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    ourself said:

If "self" is just made up borders caused by the interaction of skandhas, when we see through "self" or even die, would we not then blend in with the rest rather than disappear?

I think about no-self a lot, which is kind of strange, come to think of it . . .

We DO have a self, let's admit it. It's sitting in front of your computer. Genetics are a great expression of karma (the kind you get stuck with), and no matter how non-self-is and awakened you get, you'll always look the same (but older) and have the same mannerisms, the same creative flairs, the same preference for salty foods, etc.

I'm gonna guess the same temperament, too, because that is often genetic. Quick to laugh, a slow fuse, just like Mom or Dad. I suppose the more awake we are, the temperament we're born with is 'tempered' as we are less and less reactive.

Tempering happens as you get older whether you are a practicing Buddhist or not. I used to be very self-conscious, which is a MAJOR example of the made up self. I used to be quick to take offense and get defensive. That has cooled over the years (note 'nirvana' has the meaning of 'cooling'), and now that I am committed to the Dharma, I've wondered about that.

When there is less 'self', how other people behave or what they say bothers you less (less reactivity). I'm talking about being insensitive or rude, not murder. When a person is very reactive, they are saying "I I I I ME ME ME!!!" in so many words. I work with a gal who hears 'disrespect' in other's tone when no one else does . . . this is obviously a very tender skandha for her. I've watched people be insulted and been astounded that they don't get embarrassed, instead behave with quiet dignity.

The more "I" on your mind, the more reactivity, or so it appears. So perhaps a nicely awakened person would appear calm, easy going, and unflappable. That doesn't sound like "blending in" to me :)

I don't think we can use our minds to cook up 'what it will be like when I'm more Awake" because our minds are the source of most of our problems, and aren't reliable in that way.

Gassho :)

David
    I hear what you're saying @Hamsaka and agree. I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of that famous quote that was attributed to Einstein but nobody knows where it came from.

“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”

--attributed to Einstein but true authorship unknown.

• Hello,
    in buddhism the are two self. The first one is the material one, the ego, the I, but the
    second one is not under the influence of matter, it survives dead of the phsical body.
    You don´t belief? I do understand that and you better read Dighanikayo, the longer
    collection of the Pali-Canon.

sakko
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    ourself said:

I hear what you're saying @Hamsaka and agree. I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of that famous quote that was attributed to Einstein but nobody knows where it came from.

“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”

--attributed to Einstein but true authorship unknown.

Jack Kornfield attributes this to Einstein in a letter he wrote to a Jewish girl. Her father, a rabbi, was a personal friend of Einstein's, and he asked Einstein to write a letter to his daughter who was suffering horrible grief after the death of her 16 year old sister. I can't remember if it is in Kornfield's "Psychology of Buddhism" or "Awakening is Real"; both of these are audio collections of teachings/talks, so there are no references to confirm, but anyway :)

Yeah, now I get what YOU are saying. Every now and then, when I'm meditating or caught unaware I get a brief experience of 'losing the boundaries' or of 'no boundary'. It comes and goes, and leaves a bit of itself behind so that I don't just believe it, I know it is true. Fade into the background? What background lol? I doubt speech or intentional movement is possible, not that those things might even occur to one absorbed into awareness like that . . . Unless you are sitting in a cave staring at the wall like Nagarjuna for nine years, that state of complete absorption into What Is is NOT likely to happen and persist into daily relationship and work life. It's enough to know the truth of it :) though, while you get cut off in traffic or get blamed for something you didn't do. That is where the 'magic' happens anyway :)

Gassho (and a hug)
    David
  • ourself said:

What self?

Death = 'no self' apart from 'magical post life resurrection Buddhist schools' - good luck with that. Lady Gaga dharma fun for all the family.

Spiritual 'No self' = 'dead'/blended/most certainly GONE

Are we on the borders of self elf shelf or Non self yet?

• lobster said:

ourself said:

What self?

Death = 'no self' apart from 'magical post life resurrection Buddhist schools' - good luck with that. Lady Gaga dharma fun for all the family.

Gone from where?
    When there is no self there is no death and not no death.
    If fact, no self = impossible to discuss life or death in any meaningful way.
    lobster said:

ourself said:

What self?
    What do you mean, "what self?" Whatever you call that which just asked the question.

So you believe in complete annihilation or did I misread that gibberish?

• ourself said:

Only two options? I believe I will take the third . . . or did I lose something as usual?
    :o
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    robot said:

Why's that?
  • robot said:

Why's that?

Put simply, no self means nothing has been born. If nothing has been born there is nothing to die.
    And yet, clearly something has been born. What has been born? A body? With no self?
    Why is the body real and not the self?
    Why waste time trying to figure it out?
    It's confusing to me when someone talks about no self and death in the same breath.
    edited November 2013
    lobster said:

ourself said:

Only two options? I believe I will take the third . . . or did I lose something as usual?
    :o
    If there is no self anywhere, what is taking the third?

For means of communication, that which is taking the third is the self.

I'm not even sure how "self" got all tied up in permanence anyways. Self is temporary so we have to change what we call it?

Kinda silly if you ask me.

No wonder people think Buddhism is confusing. We make it unnecessarily so.
    Vastmind
    edited November 2013
    Just because we see beyond our made up borders and consequent labels doesn't mean we shouldn't use labels to share information.

Mountains are once again mountains, rivers are once again rivers and selves are once again selves.

If it was otherwise, we should have stayed under the damned tree.
  • Buddha said the skhandas are not the self. The skhandas are form(body), feeling(good bad neutral), perceptions, formations, and consciousness (sense/mind).

The diamond sutra says that a Bodhisattva says that they are not a Bodhisattva because otherwise they would be trapped in an idea of a self, a lifetime, and a lifespan.
    Just because we see beyond our made up borders and consequent labels doesn't mean we shouldn't use labels to share information.
    Yes I agree
  • No self simply means no permanent self. We call it 'no self' because normally when we define something - anything at all - we give it an essence. So it is more convenient to say 'no self' instead of no permanent self.
  • We are not the skhandas regardless if they are non-permanent or permanent.
    robot said:

It's confusing to me when someone talks about no self and death in the same breath.

Would it help to distinguish between body and mind here?
  • robot said:

If you think thats possible, sure. I'm all ears.
    robot said:

robot said:

It's a distinction which is made in the suttas, eg nama-rupa, which is mentality-materiality ( or more colloquially mind-body ). And vedana ( feeling ) is classified as mental or physical.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited November 2013
    @ourself
    In the OP....I really liked the imagery of the word 'blend'. It doesn't discount
    who is typing/Buddha nature/decision maker, but acknowledges the emptiness at the same time.
  • robot said:

robot said:

It's a distinction which is made in the suttas, eg nama-rupa, which is mentality-materiality ( or more colloquially mind-body ). And vedana ( feeling ) is classified as mental or physical.
    So where is the distinction? And keep in mind that's just a way of talking.
    robot said:

robot said:

robot said:

So you can't distinguish between physical and mental pain?
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited November 2013

robot said:

robot said:

robot said:

Are you suggesting that somehow physical pain can be felt without the mind? (Edit) Or mental pain felt without the body? How would that work?
    edited November 2013
    robot said:

robot said:

robot said:

robot said:

Are you suggesting that somehow physical pain can be felt without the mind? (Edit) Or mental pain felt without the body? How would that work?
    No, I'm suggesting there is a difference. For example having a toothache is different from feeling sad. Are you familiar with the Arrow Sutta, where a clear distinction made between physical and mental pain? http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.006.than.html
    edited November 2013
    Vastmind said:

@ourself
    In the OP....I really liked the imagery of the word 'blend'. It doesn't discount
    who is typing/Buddha nature/decision maker, but acknowledges the emptiness at the same time.

Thanks, that's what I was going for. I think Thich Nhat Hanh left quite the impression on me with his drop hitting the ocean analogy. I can still see it working with rebirth/reincarnation if we look at the whole hydro-logical system. Water evaporates to form clouds which fall in drops. They then collect, affecting the environment as they go and then come apart to evaporate again and again and again...

• robotrobot Veteran
    edited November 2013

robot said:

robot said:

robot said:

robot said:

It's a distinction which is made in the suttas, eg nama-rupa, which is mentality-materiality ( or more colloquially mind-body ). And vedana ( feeling ) is classified as mental or physical/blockquote>

No, I'm suggesting there is a difference. For example having a toothache is different from feeling sad. Are you familiar with the Arrow Sutta, where a clear distinction made between physical and mental pain? http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.006.than.html

I get what you are saying. And I get what is being said in the Sutta. I will just refer you back to your post above where you said
    "It's a distinction which is made in the suttas, eg nama-rupa, which is mentality-materiality ( or more colloquially mind-body ). And vedana ( feeling ) is classified as mental or physical"

Now, if Nama- rupa is mind-body, does that not suggest that no distinction is being made, but they are two aspects of singular entity?
    And vedana being classified as either mental or physical feeling suggests that the two are interchangeable, does it not?
    Regardless, the issue of whether the mind and the body are separate or not, and I do not accept that they are, has little bearing on the point that you contested initially. Which was this. Can you coherently discuss the birth and death of a self that does not exist?

Damn quote function screwed up this time
    robot said:

Can you coherently discuss the birth and death of a self that does not exist?

We can coherently discuss the birth and death of a physical body that does exist. That's why I made the distinction.
  • robot said:

We can coherently discuss the birth and death of a physical body that does exist. That's why I made the distinction.

Well I think we can as long as we agree that we are bought into the illusion.
    It's when we try to pick and chose which parts are real and which aren't that it gets confusing.
    robot said:

I know you weren't asking me but I'd say yes.

The self that does not exist is just another concept because even if it can't be considered a self it still must be considered to be.

It's just that being is a verb. Nouns are misleading if we don't realize they are just tools of convenience.

• ourself said:

robot said:

The self that does not exist is just another concept because even if it can't be considered a self it still must be considered to be.

It's just that being is a verb. Nouns are misleading if we don't realize they are just tools of convenience.

Right. While discussing birth and death, leave no-self out of it.
    edited November 2013
    robot said:

ourself said:

robot said:

Right. While discussing birth and death, leave no-self out of it.
    I think I'd have to agree. If anything, when talking about birth and death I'd be more likely to think of self expansion rather than no-self.

Seeing through doesn't mean to obliterate, lol.