Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you ever find it hard to meditate for hours at a time?

I am studying world religions and I am most interested in Buddhism, I need some opinions from you's guys.

Comments

• Yes.
    Invincible_summer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I always find it hard to meditate when there is a length of time I'm shooting for but have never tried to go for hours.

Meditation is practice for living life.
  • I am going to meditate for my first time tonight and it is for 1 1/2 hours.
    I am worried because I do have ADHD and do not want to be disrespectful towards the religion
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Do you ever find it hard to meditate for hours at a time?

Yes, which is why folks who formally meditate for hours at a time, usually break up sitting meditation periods with walking forms of meditation.
    Invincible_summer
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Depends on what you mean by meditate..
    JainarayanInvincible_summer
  • sitting legs crossed, in a quite room full of people, at a temple.. is what i am going to experience.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2013

I am going to meditate for my first time tonight and it is for 1 1/2 hours.
    I am worried because I do have ADHD and do not want to be disrespectful towards the religion

The first time and you're going to shoot for 1 1/2 hours?

It sounds more like the religion is being disrespectful towards you.

Ten or twenty minutes with a healthy instruction first would be my choice but I wish you well.

BunksTheEccentric
  • it is a temple, so they have their weekly "sessions"..
    thank you for you input.
  • @cleansedsoul

Are you going to be meditating in a group?
    If so, 1.5 hrs of solid sitting meditation doesn't sound like a 'beginner's' group.
    Most people new to sitting meditation start off with less than an hour-
    even 30-35 minutes.

But if you can't last as long as they expect you to, I would just very quietly, very gracefully get up and make my way out of the room with as little disturbance as possible. Probably best to position yourself very close to an exit out of the room...

That said, you should know that not all Buddhists meditate (or at least not formally sit and meditate) and there's no reason you can't learn more about Buddhism and then commit to a meditation routine at some point down the road.

David
  • I have been studying this for many months.. and I meditate at home quite often, I just fear that when a large group is around me my ADHD may kick in and I may get "antsy" persay.
  • Jayantha said:

Depends on what you mean by meditate..

Exactly. Meditation has no single meaning. It could be reflection, introspection, working on solving a problem. I find it virtually impossible to meditate at home, I don't know why. But I can sit in the mall or a park or the boardwalk for hours and lose myself in thought, following my mind wherever. And of course, in Pure Land, chanting Amitābha's name is meditation.
    edited November 2013

sitting legs crossed, in a quite room full of people, at a temple.. is what i am going to experience.

Ah... Then no i cant really sit more than a half hour or less without it getting a little too much.

Meditation and mindfulness can be practiced while sitting, walking, standing, laying down, although most of the buddhist world is obsessed with sitting sitting sitting.

I do mixture of walking(which includes standing) and sitting, and i usually dont worry about time, whenever im done im done.

Walking meditation changed my life and my practice.

cleansedsoulMaryAnne
    Jayantha said:

sitting legs crossed, in a quite room full of people, at a temple.. is what i am going to experience.

Ah... Then no i cant really sit more than a half hour or less without it getting a little too much.

Meditation and mindfulness can be practiced while sitting, walking, standing, laying down, although most of the buddhist world is obsessed with sitting sitting sitting.

I do mixture of walking(which includes standing) and sitting, and i usually dont worry about time, whenever im done im done.

Walking meditation changed my life and my practice.

You're speaking my language here... I can relate 100%

• I've been meditating for 13 years. The most I have meditated all sitting is 45 minutes. The most I have meditated with sitting walking alternately is 3 hours.

Good luck shoot for the moon. If you don't make it to 1.5 hours don't feel put off. These days I am on so many medications that I can usually only do 5-15 minutes sitting.
  • My teacher has indicated my max meditation time be 40 minutes, anything beyond that, as others suggested, a combination of sitting and walking meditation. And that max of 40 min is not a requirement, only once in a while when I am working through some things in this process. Normally 10-20 minutes is all I am expected (from myself and teacher) to do on a daily basis.
    BhikkhuJayasara
    edited November 2013
    I think the main reason I had so much trouble in the beginning of my practice WAS that I did not find the teachers I learn from now(ajahn brahm, bhante G, etc) .. I thought meditation was sit straight and follow the breath! and man when I couldn't do that I felt I was the worst meditator ever... now I realize I was NORMAL, but no one back then bothered to tell me this, I had to find it out on my own lol. For years I fought my meditation until I just gave up.

then I started learning about letting go, being kind to your body and mind, and a desire grew in me again, I told myself, I will sit and observe for as long as my body and mind can deal with it, at first that was just a few minutes, and it has grown slowly since then. time really means nothing with meditation, I've had a meditation where 3 minutes felt like 2 hours(in a good and in a bad way lol) and I've had the rare experience of an hour long meditation feeling like 5 minutes.

then at my first monastery retreat at a Mahayana monastery(I've always been theravadin) I met Venerable DhammaJiva from Sri Lanka who taught the importance of walking meditation, my practice skyrocketed from there... not that I'm very progressed lol, but even still any improvement is good improvement :).

I've been told of a few monks from the Buddha's time who attained enlightenment by just walking meditation, I can almost believe it, but I still try to keep meditation through various postures in my practice.

JeffreylobsterDavidBunks
  • Jeffrey said:

I've been meditating for 13 years.

Makes my two years of continuous meditation seem pedestrian

wait a minute . . .
    The most I have meditated all sitting is 45 minutes. The most I have meditated with sitting walking alternately is 3 hours.
    Oh you mean formal sitting . . . oh well . . .
    When I get to 100 minutes, I change the nature of the sit. That is too long for a lay person IMHO but of course not all lay people are the same . . .
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I've only been on day-long retreats (9AM - 3PM) and I find those pretty taxing by the halfway mark. After each hour there is a break, then at noon there's lunch. But it's all entirely in Noble Silence, so it's pretty much meditating the whole day.
  • I used to. If you learn to keep your attention on the path before you, you will find meditative equipoise. Meditation should not be an effort. Learn that discursive thought is motivated by self cherishing. Seek BhodiCitta and the effort will evaporate with the cause.
    lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

That might be appropriate on an intensive meditation retreat but it's a really long time for a beginner. Will the whole time be sitting meditation, or will there be other activities involved?
  • Anyone who claims to find meditating for hours at a time easy, no matter how long they've been doing it, is trying to impress you or has learned to sleep sitting up.

There are two philosophies of meditation. There are those who say sitting in lotus posture is magical and screaming pain in your legs and back is the price you pay for practicing meditation correctly. Others note that the only thing sitting for hours with teeth clenched while your nerves scream at you does is teach you to endure torture.

Try a happy middle ground. As noted above, ten good minutes is better than an hour of leg cramps.
    DavidBhikkhuJayasaraMaryAnne
  • I can meditate for many hours at night when I lie down in bed because I keep passing in and out of coma :) .Still, I enjoy it because it's so comfortable especially when I am tired.

I can also meditate for many hours while walking. It makes my walk enjoyable.

But to sit down to meditate, for me, one hour is maximum except when I do it in a group during a retreat. I don't have a choice, but the group gives me strenght to go on because I don't want to admit that I can't do it any more :) , my teacher will be disappointed, I don't want to let him down. Besides, transcendental meditation is easier than other meditation methods.
  • Cinorjer said:

Anyone who claims to find meditating for hours at a time easy, no matter how long they've been doing it, is trying to impress you or has learned to sleep sitting up.

There are two philosophies of meditation. There are those who say sitting in lotus posture is magical and screaming pain in your legs and back is the price you pay for practicing meditation correctly. Others note that the only thing sitting for hours with teeth clenched while your nerves scream at you does is teach you to endure torture.

Try a happy middle ground. As noted above, ten good minutes is better than an hour of leg cramps.

I don't feel this is true. You can go places with a 45 minute meditation that you cannot go with 15. Different method different outcome. Why do you assume those talking of longer meditations are ego-maniacs? Are you saying they should hide or conceal the amount of meditation?

No one said to do full lotus if it is painful. For some people it is the most stable posture. Most teachers (all?) say for you to take a comfortable position even if it means corpse position. I don't have leg cramps, but my legs do fall asleep after 20 minutes about. So I do 20 sitting and 10 walking (repeat). Sometimes your posts are a little extreme such as

lotus posture is magical

endure torture

is trying to impress you or has learned to sleep sitting up.

How long did the Buddha sit under the tree that night when he attained enlightenment? 5 minutes?
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Jeffrey said:

So I do 20 sitting and 10 walking (repeat).

Can you sit longer than 20? 30? 45? Hour? Two Hours?

If you can't that's ok, you don't have to sit for that long a time. I'm also pretty sure our OP was asking about sitting as opposed to walking meditation.

We all have trouble sitting for long periods. Even if walking is thrown in. We eventually tire and distractions become numerous and then it's time to go put on some coffee and come back to the cushion later.

Personally, I find that sitting in a chair allows me the greatest stability. My legs dont fall asleep and there's the back bolster for support of the lumbar region. Even still I have to get up and stretch, or go to the bathroom, or something about once an hour.

I find impossible to meditate while taking a leak :-)

Also, we should keep in mind that even though we are sitting, doesn't mean we're actually meditating. The same goes for walking meditation, personally I find the practice useless for meditation. It's good to get circulation back into your legs, but for "meditation"? Forget it. I'll go to a 1-hour group practice at the Shambhala center and there will be 5 minutes of WM after about 35 minutes of sitting. I would prefer to stay seated. After walking the last 15 minutes of sitting is a waste.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Regarding walking meditation

@Chaz, these days I rarely do 20 sitting. Usually 5 minutes sitting and 5 walking. The reason is that I am on so much depressant medications. It's not sleepiness rather it is body discomfort. Walking meditation helps get life energy, juiciness back into my body so for that it is pretty good. I have some shamata in walking. Also because you have to keep your balance etc it can be a bridge to daily life.

Regarding sitting posture. I think with habit your posture, whatever that may be, generates shamata. I get upset over football games and I will sit in the half lotus or burmese sometimes watching the game and it makes it less unpleasurable if my team is losing.

Oh and alternating sitting and walking I have done 3 hours. That same day I did a total of 6 hours. I was inspired by Adyashanti, because he did hours and hours of meditation which lead to a breakthrough in his mind.
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    The Buddha had a lot of experience as an ascetic, so sitting still for 9 days or however long it was probably well within his self training limits.

I worked myself up from 5 minutes to 40 minutes once a day in the evening. Sometimes the little bell goes off well before I start getting 'antsy'. This is miraculous. I am a life long ADHDer and my mind is a very bad little monkey. But I'm 48 and even the monkey is getting old tired. Even if the meditation is abiding with pain as it has been lately, it is still a blessed rest.

Gassho :)
    Jeffrey
    edited November 2013
    Let me add some more into the mix... I can meditate "better" and longer outside... Even if outside im on the hard ground compared to cushions indoors.

I could meditate half the day if im in the woods by myself, if im in a retreat though i struggle to meditate for the fully alloted time.

As for the whole pain in meditation thing, all the good advice ive seen seems to talk about staying with the sensations.. To a point, and also depending on how much you can take while remaining mostly calm and able to be mindful. That threshold has changed for me over the years same as meditation length.
    Jeffrey said:

Oh and alternating sitting and walking I have done 3 hours.

I'm sure of that!

But I was talking about just sitting which I believe the OP was talking about.

Doesn't really matter why someone can't sit for extended periods. That's actually off-topic IMO. You can't sit for an extended period, I can't either and in my experience pretty much everyone can't at one time or another.

Endurance "on the cusion" comes with time, and, of course, practice. I know people who could literally sit for hours and not move a muscle - but then they started in their teens and have been practicing for 40 years since. They're VERY limber and that's the key. They would also admit to having had trouble sitting for extended periods.

Everyone has trouble sitting.

JeffreyEvenThird
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I mix sitting and walking. No more than 40 mins sitting at a time...
    walking I can do up to an hour...depends on the weather, to be honest.

And then...all the little house chores in between I try to make
    a mini-meditation session. For example, cleaning bathrooms
    might be a good 20 mins...or sweeping the whole downstairs
    might be 15 mins....so that adds up, too.
    Moments at work lately were really getting to me...so in
    that case, I would really work on some insight and looking
    deeply meditation....things like that for me.
    Jeffrey
  • Jeffrey said:

Cinorjer said:

Anyone who claims to find meditating for hours at a time easy, no matter how long they've been doing it, is trying to impress you or has learned to sleep sitting up.

I don't feel this is true. You can go places with a 45 minute meditation that you cannot go with 15. Different method different outcome. Why do you assume those talking of longer meditations are ego-maniacs? Are you saying they should hide or conceal the amount of meditation?

No one said to do full lotus if it is painful. For some people it is the most stable posture. Most teachers (all?) say for you to take a comfortable position even if it means corpse position. I don't have leg cramps, but my legs do fall asleep after 20 minutes about. So I do 20 sitting and 10 walking (repeat). Sometimes your posts are a little extreme such as

lotus posture is magical

endure torture

is trying to impress you or has learned to sleep sitting up.

How long did the Buddha sit under the tree that night when he attained enlightenment? 5 minutes?
    Fortunately I have the more level headed folks like you to let me know when I'm getting a bit preachy.
  • :) well you have preaching in your family!
    Cinorjer
  • I was in a temple in Thailand and a young monk told me I should be meditating two hours every day. Never made it past an hour though. Good luck. I hope you do it. That would be very impressive.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @cleansedsoul

What temple/linage/ location starts newbies in full lotus for 1 1/2 hours?
    Is there a gentler entry schedule that you are choosing to bypass?

edited November 2013
    Jeffrey said:

You can go places with a 45 minute meditation that you cannot go with 15.

I agree, and I think it often takes 15 or 20 minutes for the mind to begin calming down, so people who never get beyond this don't really get the point.
    Though it does make sense to build up gradually to longer sits.
    seeker242
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I have been studying this for many months.. and I meditate at home quite often, I just fear that when a large group is around me my ADHD may kick in and I may get "antsy" persay.

So how did it go? Pleasant? Unpleasant? Both? Neither? :)

I was in a temple in Thailand and a young monk told me I should be meditating two hours every day.

That sounds about right, assuming one wants to make some serious progress.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Sitting for long or short periods are of little importance compared to your meditation in this moment.
    Just meditatively practicing, in what ever moment you find yourself in, will put all ideas (or ideals) of long or short in a less ego bound perspective.
    ChazcvalueEvenThirdInvincible_summer
    how said:

Sitting for long or short periods are of little importance compared to your meditation in this moment.
    Just meditatively practicing, in what ever moment you find yourself in, will put all ideas (or ideals) of long or short in a less ego bound perspective.

Shamatha is about abiding in the moment, being present, now.

So, in that light what @how shares is spot on. If you're present, in the moment, then you'r meditation is where it should be. How long you're on the cushion is, as @how shares, of little importance relative to that. You can sit for a week, but if you're not present, you're not meditating - you're just sitting there.

lobster
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    yes

and

No.

But I do not sadistically torture myself over it...
  • When we start, our meditation is on 'monkey chattering observation duty'

. . . hard to admit we are just a chattering monkey mind? . . . hard to sit with the experience of it?

Maybe so. Maybe you have heard of the benefits? A path beyond the incessant dukkha. It is there. Nobody is going to do it for you. Just in case you did not know . . .

:buck:
    Invincible_summer
  • Yes, the longest I've ever meditated is forty five minutes. There is a temple near my home which I attend and I find it hard to concentrate for the usual session so I meditate for as long as I can and then I just focus on thinking "peaceful" thoughts or reflecting. I also have mild ADD so I understand what you mean, but I actually find the layout conducive to peaceful thinking.
  • Chaz said:

Jeffrey said:

Oh and alternating sitting and walking I have done 3 hours.

I'm sure of that!

But I was talking about just sitting which I believe the OP was talking about.

Doesn't really matter why someone can't sit for extended periods. That's actually off-topic IMO. You can't sit for an extended period, I can't either and in my experience pretty much everyone can't at one time or another.

Endurance "on the cusion" comes with time, and, of course, practice. I know people who could literally sit for hours and not move a muscle - but then they started in their teens and have been practicing for 40 years since. They're VERY limber and that's the key. They would also admit to having had trouble sitting for extended periods.

everyone can't at one time or another.

Everyone has trouble sitting.

Well sure yeah but: I have done 12 hours a day with a break to eat (about 1/2 hour)
    Sitting comfortable is important. I don't think how you sit matters. I have tried several practices and they all seem to have value. I like eyes open more than eyes closed-especially in the beginning-not so much distraction. Also you get into a non-dual non subject/object, calm abiding and that is easy. I think the not moving a muscle is very important-at least during some periods. The physical stillness precipitates the feeling of the large not body self and the breath becomes valuable and you can see how it moves the mind. I like single point and though it is hard it is very rewarding and has lasting certainty. Once you break through the intense effort part, it get easier. I think that reduces the self viewpoint-of necessity. Yes some sleeping occurs but that eventually goes away. You could just start out being the wall and that would simplify the process hahahaha. You can really see the world when you meditate 12 hours a day. Now that is magic.
    I just do night practice now (on the indestructible drop) and take the path as meditation so things change. mtgby