Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are your thoughts on the appearance of the Ganesh?

edited November 2013 in Buddhism Basics
A beautiful god, or a distorted creature?

Comments

• Both. And neither.
  • Confusing, your personal opinion?
  • Absolutely my personal opinion. Just about anything one reads in this forum that is not actually cut n pasted from texts is 'opinion'. Something very important to remember here. :) That, and we're a very diverse group of Buddhists.
  • someday I hope to be as experienced as some of you who study and practice Bhuddhism.
  • Ganesha is a cheerful, friendly, accessible deity. He is the lord of beginnings, wisdom and removal of obstacles. Sometimes he places obstacles so we can learn. The appearance of Ganesha is highly symbolic, as with any Hindu-derived deity. The large ears represent his hearing; the large belly represents taking in troubles of the world; the noose he wields brings you to himself; his hand is raised in blessing; he holds the gadā (mace) to defeat evil. There is much more symbolism.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I'm not clear what the purpose of the question is.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I like Ganesh and I guess there are many forms (even as it signifies removing obstacles and seeing beyond form) but I usually hear that it is the son of Shiva. I didn't realize it was seen as a goddess as well but hey.

It's one of my favorite Hindu gods because I dig elephants.

Is Ganesh a Buddhist god as well in some sects?
  • sorry was typing fast meant to put God. My apologies
  • Ganesh, is a hindu God. just wanted some insight.
  • ourself said:

Yes indeedy a protector and in some Japanese Buddhism he likes radishes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangiten
    DavidDaiva
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    vinlyn said:

I'm not clear what the purpose of the question is.

Yeah....

• ourself said:

I like Ganesh and I guess there are many forms (even as it signifies removing obstacles and seeing beyond form) but I usually hear that it is the son of Shiva. I didn't realize it was seen as a goddess as well but hey.

Yes, there is indeed a feminine form of Ganesha, Vināyakī http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinayaki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganesha_in_world_religions#Buddhism

David
  • Okay, I feel as though some people on here are very judging, I am new to all of this.. STUDYING, World Religions currently. I apologize
    lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2013

ourself said:

Yes, there is indeed a feminine form of Ganesha, Vināyakī http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinayaki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganesha_in_world_religions#Buddhism

I should have known there was (both a female form and a Buddhist counter-part) because of what it signifies.

:dunce:
  • But of course @ourself... there's that cross-pollination I always mention. ;) There's a long list of deities that flow back and forth across religions and philosophies, even into and from Taoism. Being the panendeistic heno-/polytheist I am, I kind of take note of these things. :D
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran

A beautiful god, or a distorted creature?

Against the rules for me to say (not the forum rules, the rules on being disparaging of the dharma & other schools of Buddhism). Since esoteric Buddhism imported Hinduism wholesale, I guess I can't be too critical of Hinduism either. They're nice people and I like their restaurants.

I was at the Smithsonian last weekend and there was a picture of the Parinivanna of the Buddha & all the disciples & animals came to weep. It was pretty clear the artist had never seen an elephant in his life. Super picture none the less. The Chinese & Japanese Buddhists were the PETA of their time.

Kangiten -- the hugging elephants are cool. I wish I could track down the toy version. (They exist for other dieties in the Shingon pantheon, albeit for 15yrs & up & they cost $35+ each)
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Okay, I feel as though some people on here are very judging, I am new to all of this.. STUDYING, World Religions currently. I apologize

Don't apologise, we all make judgements, and sometimes they are based on wrong view which leads to internal suffering and occassionally torment for the judging mind - especially when they realise their judgements have caused another to suffer. Most people here probably know this, so I doubt they are 'intentionally' judging you badly.
    BTW I like Ganesh - protector of his mothers privacy!
    Born from the breath of his mother - reflect on that.
    sova
  • As the "remover of obstacles" I keep a picture of Ganesh on my fridge as a reminder to stay honest with my training. (I climb mountains)
    anataman
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I love Ganesha. :)

I view him as a protector in my practice.
    Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganache

:bowdown:
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    re: chocolate Ganesh

Nom Nom Chocalataye Namaha
    lobster
  • Is that a chocolate bar in his hand? Or a harmonica?
  • robot said:

Is that a chocolate bar in his hand? Or a harmonica?

He is just pleased to see you . . .
    http://www.chocolatedeities.com/deityl.php?deity=ganesh
    David
    edited December 2013
    @lobster;

I liked that story of Ganesh and the modakas but mostly because of the mouse he rode.