Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Big business v small family business

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
So do you pay a few bucks more and go to the little family owned / operated business or do you walk on by to the xxx-Mart and pay a few bucks less?

In one ear I have my conscience telling me "pay a little extra and support the guy / girl who greets you with a smile and gives you that personal service" while in the other ear my mother / Scottish ancestors say "Walk the extra block to the xxx-Mart and you'll save a dollar!"

Comments

• For me I can't say it is always one or the other. But I know in terms of food, I am never disappointed when I chose to go to the family run places I go to around town. Something to be said about eating food that is made with pride, passion and care :)

My parents own a small business so I do have an appreciation for that side of things. But when I feel the need to feel I "saved a dollar" as you put it, I might go and get a simple item at the big guys' store. Although you do get what you pay for most times.
  • I do Christmas shopping about 1/2 or more online. Some are small businesses. For eating I like local places, but I also like Olive Garden, Applebees and some of those chains.