Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Can I be Serious and Stop Gossiping

I'm tired of gossiping. The Buddha discouraged it , so I want to stop gossiping. I think being serious all the time might just stop my habit. If not, are there any other ways to stop.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Don't be divided. In moments when your heart wants gossip to then either honor that and do your best to enjoy gossiping. This indulgence helps us from dividing into a 'poor me' who 'can't stop' and one who is nourished by the buzz of gossiping. So if we indulge do it full force and observe what happens in your mind when you gossip. This also helps you not get an 'out' as a poor me. Bust yourself. You ate that cookie from the cookie jar and that's what you wanted so you did it. Don't be divided. Another way to say don't be divided is to be honest about your feelings. YOU really do want to crave. And sometimes you are fighting against craving; you are shooting down the indulgences. When you are lashing out at your craving you are solidifying it into a self. Ego. By giving your craving space to exist it will avoid anger and 'feeling sorry for myself'.

The other approach to indulging (non-dividing) is sitting with a craving. It is harder with gossip addiction because you can only practice when you are with someone so you can't experiment as much. But just crucify yourself when you are tempted to share a juicy nugget of gossip. If you can sit with it even if only a few minutes it will weaken the pull.

Hope this helps. Be honest but be mindful.
    Dennis1cvalue
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    I have tried and it is sooooo hard; but you really need to work on it - I have been developing a 'listening and silence practice' after listening to a dharma talk (I think it was by Gil Frondal - audiodharma.org) where people start talking to you and you know it is becoming centred on someone in particular, and you know it is wrong. The response is to utter OMmmm intermittently without contributing to the discussion and then let them talk themselves around to another topic, sometimes you have to introduce the topic because the line of thinking is rigidly parallel - it works!

I have been distancing myself from the school our children attend as the gossip is horrendous; and I found myself a recent victim of it. Thankfully, one of the mums told me about it, and she found it hilarious (she's Irish and called Hilary btw). I was supposed to have flirted with one of the other mums in the local gym. My understanding of the interaction I had with the mum was something significantly different: polite conversation in a public steam room and jacuzzi - nothing more.

Good luck, and watch your self - it can be disconcerting when you realise that much of your conversation is about views of other people...
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited November 2013
    self control.

see the meaninglessness of it.

that road leads to where? an endless conversation of how 2 or more people share the same perception of how they feel X person or persons should be the way they see fit.

to much noise and the universe will yawn! this can be known with mindfulness.

work on being less selfish. be more generous. fill yourself with more positive things.

if this is what your "friends" enjoy doing change the topic if they always seems to want to gossip change your "friends" chances are they are gossiping about you when your not around.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Lots of serious folks love to gossip
    An ongoing practice of mindfulness, unrestrained by seriousness, jocularity or any other behavioral artificiality, can be enough to diffuse an impulse to gossip.
  • Thanks for the advice guys. It's nice to know that I'm not the
    only one fighting occasional gossip.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    It may be the easiest to break of all the Precepts.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Omar067 said:

I'm tired of gossiping. The Buddha discouraged it , so I want to stop gossiping. I think being serious all the time might just stop my habit. If not, are there any other ways to stop.

Have a sex change!
    ;)
    Dennis1sova
  • Put your attention on the person in front of you. Notice them. Understand them. Watch what they are doing. If it is harmful gossip it will go away. If it is not harm then what harm. At any rate, if you put your attention on the other person you won't be participating in the gossiping. Best
  • Omar067 said:

I'm tired of gossiping.

I have heard that you are just feigning tiredness. If really tired you would practice silence. I also heard, again about you, that you prefer incessant mind chatter to stilling the mind.
    It's true you know. What have you heard?

:lol:
    howEvenThirdVastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited November 2013
    If your tired of it...why don't you stop it?
    What are you afraid of losing if you give up the
    craving and doing of it?

Just don't talk shit about people....especially if they
    aren't around to speak for themselves.....would you
    say it if they were standing there?
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    thank you
  • Here is my personal experience about gossiping. I feel bad everytime I give in to gossiping so I work first on my mind. Instead of thinking about people, I make my mind occupied constantly on questions about the Lotus sutra that I still not fully understood or I keep repeating "Namo Amitabha Buddha".

Still, that didn't help when I go out for lunch my friend. So, on the way to meet with her I told myself to remember not to discuss about somebody else. So what else interesting thing do we talk about if we don't gossip? (She is not buddhist), then I decided to concentrate on her family, her career. When I finally had lunch with her, I started all kinds of questions about her work, her son, her sister, her father, her plan for vacation. The lunch went by fast and I made my friend very happy without gossipng about others.

Gossip is fun! It's a lot of hard work to stop it. The only way we can do is to replace it with something else equally interesting.
    robotJeffreysova
  • I have found that when I gossip the other person seems to know immediately. This has cured me. I call it staying straight. I never say anything I don't say to the universe.
    If we are a unity then what else is there to think? Recalling the source of bewilderment
    is all you really need to get straight and stay that way. mtgby
    Jeffreysova
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    One way of sorting out personal gossiping is to only speak as you would if the person being discussed is actually present.
    VastmindlobsterPrincely
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Omar067 said:

It is very hard. The only thing I do that would be remotely considered gossip is in my talks with the lone co-worker I am somewhat friends with. There are some things that come into my mind or things I hear that I want to repeat to him so we can discuss, but I have to really be aware and then make the decision whether it is actually worth it to even bring it up. One noteable example recently of this is a woman who came back to work after being pregnant who is very brash and pushy and in general is one of the rare people that I have an annoyance level of aversion towards.

I wanted to simply text my co-worker friend " oh yay.. she's back".. but I thought about it and didn't, which I'm glad of. It does kind of become a shared experience kind of thing, the gossip, and I think thats why people do it. Right Speech is a constant fight and it doesn't even have to be something as rough as texting someone " omg I hate this person did you hear they did this or that", it can be much more subtle and a good chance to really observe your ego at work.

The Buddha told it straight.. I love these sections from the Suttas -

The criteria for deciding what is worth saying

[1] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial (or: not connected with the goal), unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[2] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[3] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.

[4] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[5] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[6] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing & agreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has sympathy for living beings."

— MN 58

and

Five keys to right speech

"Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

"It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will."

— AN 5.198

and

Reflect on your speech, before, during, and after speaking

[The Buddha speaks to his son, Rahula:] "Whenever you want to perform a verbal act, you should reflect on it: 'This verbal act I want to perform — would it lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Is it an unskillful verbal act, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it would lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it would be an unskillful verbal act with painful consequences, painful results, then any verbal act of that sort is absolutely unfit for you to do. But if on reflection you know that it would not cause affliction... it would be a skillful verbal action with happy consequences, happy results, then any verbal act of that sort is fit for you to do.

"While you are performing a verbal act, you should reflect on it: 'This verbal act I am doing — is it leading to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Is it an unskillful verbal act, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it is leading to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both... you should give it up. But if on reflection you know that it is not... you may continue with it.

"Having performed a verbal act, you should reflect on it... If, on reflection, you know that it led to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it was an unskillful verbal act with painful consequences, painful results, then you should confess it, reveal it, lay it open to the Teacher or to a knowledgeable companion in the holy life. Having confessed it... you should exercise restraint in the future. But if on reflection you know that it did not lead to affliction... it was a skillful verbal action with happy consequences, happy results, then you should stay mentally refreshed and joyful, training day and night in skillful mental qualities."

— MN 61
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Omar067 said:

Being aware of the corrosive nature of gossiping is a good start, so mindfulness is important. It's also helpful to develop kindness eg using practices like metta bhavana.
    Also check out Right Intention: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-sankappo/
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    cvalue said:

Here is my personal experience about gossiping. I feel bad everytime I give in to gossiping so I work first on my mind. Instead of thinking about people, I make my mind occupied constantly on questions about the Lotus sutra that I still not fully understood or I keep repeating "Namo Amitabha Buddha".

Still, that didn't help when I go out for lunch my friend. So, on the way to meet with her I told myself to remember not to discuss about somebody else. So what else interesting thing do we talk about if we don't gossip? (She is not buddhist), then I decided to concentrate on her family, her career. When I finally had lunch with her, I started all kinds of questions about her work, her son, her sister, her father, her plan for vacation. The lunch went by fast and I made my friend very happy without gossipng about others.

replace it with something else equally interesting.

Thanks for mentioning this. A great teacher once conveyed to me the benefits and importance of taking some time to reflect on how to be a good friend to specific people you'll talk with. If you can be a voice of reassurance that is wonderful. And if you can help them see that being interested in helping others is beneficial, then that is even better.

Also very insightful are the words describing the five factors of right wonderful speech;
    spoken at the right time,
    spoken in truth,
    spoken affectionately,
    spoken beneficially,
    spoken with a mind of good will.

it brings me great joy to see so many people concerned and involved with working on making their contributions to the world, internal and external, as beneficial as possible for all beings.

the world runs on imagination ! (:
    *cue john lennon song*
    Reborn