Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Conspicuous/invidious consumption... how much damage am I doing to my karma and merit?

I need a new jacket and boots. I prefer lug sole boots because I am afraid of falling. I developed this fear after my back surgery, I also slipped on a tile floor and could have hit the deck. Leather shoes are hard to get away from no matter the style. I do not ride a motorcycle, but I like the styling and durability of motorcycle jackets and boots. Needless to say, they are leather.I already have a leather jacket that is pretty much on its way out. I could get a cloth jacket, but I'll be honest and not be a hypocrite: I like leather.

As far as calling it 'invidious consumption' I have to further be honest and say these are attention-getters. Being 5'5" and something of a wimp, it helps to send a tough guy signal. I know... I'm wacked-out. :screwy: I found a jacket and boots I like and am on the verge of ordering. I haven't yet because I am wondering if I should sacrifice my liking of them for the sake of not contributing to the harm of animals. Though I am not vegetarian, and of course I buy dog food and cat food for my fur kids, where do I draw the line? I think it's a slippery slope. There was a time when I would not have given this a second thought... I'd get what I like, but now in trying to be compassionate and mindful, I'm wondering. It may be a matter of "you answered your own question" but I really haven't. Has anyone ever experienced this sort of dilemma, and if so what did you do?

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Youll get a few different answers but from my theravada perspective you are not "contributing to the death of animals" by buying a good pair of clothing that you need.

Actually you are contributing to the death of other beings simply by being alive..

This is one of those examples that you really do need to look inside yourself and make the decision you feel is right, regardless of what people on a buddhist forum say. Part of the practice is gaining confidence in yourself to make decisions like this without feeling the need to ask a Buddhist if you're "being bad". There is no guilt in Buddhism... Just action.
    JainarayanMaryAnne
  • Yes @Jayantha you are right and I know I have to "wrestle" with it myself, which I am doing. I know I won't have my Buddhist card revoked :lol: but it's always good to get the perspective of those more experienced, so I appreciate it (hey, I did ask). ;) Fwiw, I will donate my old stuff to the donation dumpsters as I call them... you know, like the Amvets and other clothing donation bins. My old items are still wearable and not ready for the county landfill, so they could certainly be used by someone who has little or nothing. If I go through with the purchase, there will be more weeding out of items I don't need. I do have too much from the past I don't need, that someone else could use. Justification or rationalization? Maybe. Wake-up call and mindfulness? Definitely.
    MaryAnne
  • It's up to you. It's not about guilt but about compassion. Compassion is freely given and not obligatory. I eat animals etc.. yet at the same time I was once a vegetarian and I did get some satisfaction about sparing the animals.

You could donate a little to the humane society which helps cats and dogs and perhaps more animals.
    vinlyn
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Jeffrey said:

You could donate a little to the humane society which helps cats and dogs and perhaps more animals.

Yes, I do that... I'm a member of the ASPCA and donate monthly. When I buy food for my own fur kids I buy some food for the county SPCA and Wag-on-Inn animals waiting to be adopted. Neglected, abused, unwanted, homeless animals are my greatest heartbreak. I know children and elderly and homeless people need help too, but 1. I can't save the world; and 2. at least there are programs to help humans. It's an extremely sad situation for animals.
    Jeffrey