Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The 478 Requisites of the Lay Buddhist

matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur BodhisattvaSuburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
This is satire, sort of. Or a shopping list. You choose. Posted in honor of the day after "Buy Nothing Day", aka "Black Friday". In Thailand there is a real life big box store that sells all of this in a single place. Have I missed anything?

The Buddhist Convert Shopping List
Cushion. Pref 2 part.
Mala. For counting mantras.
Bell. For starting/ending meditation. Maybe 2 for a different bell for starting and ending.
Mandalas. Statues & flower vases & pictures.
Butsudan to hold statues, vases, pictures
Esoteric Ritual Gear. the human skulls are the hardest to find and cost $1000 to $2000. Maybe your grandparents can donate?
Burnables- candles, incense, joss paper

If cold- meditation robes.
If you only own tight cloths- meditation cloths (baggy cloths)

Fashion, marks of membership
- Thai charms, fashionable and give you good luck
- Tattoos
- I'm a Buddhist, ask me about it T-Shirt :-)

Books. Lots.
- Puja/Gongyo/Daily Practice book
- Wisdom books, i.e TNH, Surya Das, etc. Watch out tho, the Dalai Lama's Cat is actually just fiction.
- Vegetarian cook book if you subscribe to the Brama Net Sutra. If you think that one is fiction, instead get the Mongolian Barbeque cookbook.

Intangibles.
Retreats. Room and board so you can more or less live like a monk, without actually being a monk. Unless you're in Thailand, in which case you really are a temporary monk.

Charity:
Dana. Buddhist themed (temples, monks, nuns, translation projects). Funding a monk in Nepal is cheap, buy a dozen and get double the merit points.
Compassion themed Secular Charity- animal conservation, hate, greed & delusion- SPLC etc, sickness, age, etc.
No buy & release of animals! Bad buddhist! No! Don't go to the farmer's market and buy up all the animals and release them in your subdivision.

Services:
Weddings. Not popular in Japan.
Funerals. Very popular in Japan, often the only Buddhist item on the list that they buy.
Health Care. Medicine Boddhisatva enhanced water. If you are in the US, this may be the only health care plan you can afford.

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    tree... check

mind... check

body.. check

all I need :P
    vinlyn
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Jayantha said:

tree... check

mind... check

body.. check

all I need :P

Materialist! :p

I am trying to cut down on the trees.
    Body and mind will be gone soon enough.
    Soon I will 'have' Nothing.

Maybe I could bottle and sell it?
    Invincible_summer
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

Materialist! :p
    its rare when i burst out laughing at a post on this forum... sadu LOL.