Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Will the Thai government fall?

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
Huge protests coming to a climax today. You can follow it all...minute by minute...at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/685649-breaking-thailand-live-sunday-1-dec-2013.

Thus far, little involvement by monks.

Comments

• There was a loud but peaceful yellow shirt rally in Krabi the other day. I was a little bit surprised to see it there. It was obvious that not all of the residents were on board with it.image
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    vinlyn said:

good...
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jayantha said:

vinlyn said:

good...
    I agree. Monks should stay out of politics.

BhikkhuJayasaraTheEccentric
    vinlyn said:

Jayantha said:

vinlyn said:

good...
    I agree. Monks should stay out of politics.

Bhante Seelananda says that he will talk with anyone, but he only talks dhamma.

I don't mind monks giving dhamma talks with regards to how to deal with stuff that happens in lay life, but taking sides or advocating one side or the other in politics and social issues is not the place for a monastic.
  • I'm interested in people's response, what is the difference between this confict and-say the Tibetan independence movement- when it comes to monks getting involved? I know absolutely nothing about this particular Thailand movement, but the people demonstrating must feel just as passionately about the rightness of their cause. Is there a red line that must be crossed before it's all right for the local temples or individual monks to get involved?
  • vinlyn said:

Huge protests coming to a climax today. You can follow it all...minute by minute...at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/685649-breaking-thailand-live-sunday-1-dec-2013.

And don't expect any either, they from memory will stay out of this for the most part, or at least until a certain point.

People have already died, a bus was set on fire with a suspected person inside. Chaos will ensue and is ensuing. Tomorrow the yellow shirts declare a general strike.

It is just the same every 3-4 years, whoever is in power, the opposite party gets together and rallies, the government is ousted, people die and it starts over again. Something tell me Thailand wasn't ready for democracy
    Cinorjer said:

I'm interested in people's response, what is the difference between this confict and-say the Tibetan independence movement- when it comes to monks getting involved? I know absolutely nothing about this particular Thailand movement, but the people demonstrating must feel just as passionately about the rightness of their cause. Is there a red line that must be crossed before it's all right for the local temples or individual monks to get involved?

for me personally I view tibetan monastics no different then theravadin in that they should not be involved in politics, although I do understand that it is vastly different since the Tibetan monastics became intertwined with power and government centuries ago, so it's probably more natural for them to be like that. If monastics MUST teach/lead the people in politics, at a very minimum it should be teaching them the principles of non-violent resistance as used successfully by Ghandi and MLK.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Jayantha said:

Cinorjer said:

I'm interested in people's response, what is the difference between this confict and-say the Tibetan independence movement- when it comes to monks getting involved? I know absolutely nothing about this particular Thailand movement, but the people demonstrating must feel just as passionately about the rightness of their cause. Is there a red line that must be crossed before it's all right for the local temples or individual monks to get involved?

for me personally I view tibetan monastics no different then theravadin in that they should not be involved in politics, although I do understand that it is vastly different since the Tibetan monastics became intertwined with power and government centuries ago, so it's probably more natural for them to be like that. If monastics MUST teach/lead the people in politics, at a very minimum it should be teaching them the principles of non-violent resistance as used successfully by Ghandi and MLK.
    In all honesty it will not do anything,I am watching live now the leader of this Anti Government movement giving a speech, sheer thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people cheering and rallying now for 8 days. You have to first understand Thai culture, then to understand the situation politically and historically, then you need to understand the mentality of this movement and you will see that whatever a monk or monks will say may be listened by few and forgotten by most. The only real influence anybody can give on this matter is the King, but last time he remained silent.
  • Wait, Thailand has a king? If his word is respected and followed, he should be making use of that. If you have a King, let him have the power that being a King warrants. It might make this all go away.

Of course, I don't really know anything about Thai politics so just ignore me. I'm just REALLY not a fan of Figurehead positions in politics a la The British monarchy and the American Presidency.
  • Zayl said:

Wait, Thailand has a king? If his word is respected and followed, he should be making use of that. If you have a King, let him have the power that being a King warrants. It might make this all go away.

Of course, I don't really know anything about Thai politics so just ignore me. I'm just REALLY not a fan of Figurehead positions in politics a la The British monarchy and the American Presidency.

lol does Thailand have a King? I think he is the longest reigning monarch ever if I am not mistaken. He is also probably one of the most highly revered of all time, I think he does not want to be seen taking sides so does not say anything on the matter. Only if it gets really bad, it got really bad 3 years ago and nothing was said. @Vinyln has he ever intervened in the past because this obviously happens on a regular basis?
  • Zayl said:

Wait, Thailand has a king? If his word is respected and followed, he should be making use of that. If you have a King, let him have the power that being a King warrants. It might make this all go away.

lol does Thailand have a King? I think he is the longest reigning monarch ever if I am not mistaken. He is also probably one of the most highly revered of all time, I think he does not want to be seen taking sides so does not say anything on the matter. Only if it gets really bad, it got really bad 3 years ago and nothing was said. @Vinyln has he ever intervened in the past because this obviously happens on a regular basis?
    Also my bad he is #28 for how long he has been in power, but of this century #1 at 68 years in power
    <

Zayl said:

Yes, he has intervened in the past, and the fact that he did not 3.5 years ago during the worst violence in Thailand history since the 1700s is why I totally lost respect for him. He has become a do-nothing king. Some people say he is too old, yet, on special occasions he makes long drawn out and very monotonous speeches.

He used to be a very activist king who rose from being only a total figurehead as a very young man, to building his power steadily to the point that he had almost total power when he decided to use it. Usually it was behind the scenes or very nuanced, but in some cases he became very directly and publicly involved. And interestingly, he used his relationship with Buddhism as one major factor in gaining almost total respect from the people. In 1992 he put an end to the Suchinda government...had PM Suchinda and Chamlong Srimuang (his main rival) crawling around on their hands and knees literally on international television while he sternly lectured them, resulting in the end of that government within hours. And that political difficulty paled in comparison to what happened 3.5 years ago and currently.

And yes, Tom, he is the longest reigning Thai king and the longest reigning monarch currently alive in the world. Interesting, when this dynasty began in 1782, the royal fortune tellers predicted there would be 9 kings in this dynasty...and King Bhumipohl is the ninth.

• vinlyn said:

<

Zayl said:

Yes, he has intervened in the past, and the fact that he did not 3.5 years ago during the worst violence in Thailand history since the 1700s is why I totally lost respect for him. He has become a do-nothing king. Some people say he is too old, yet, on special occasions he makes long drawn out and very monotonous speeches.

He used to be a very activist king who rose from being only a total figurehead as a very young man, to building his power steadily to the point that he had almost total power when he decided to use it. Usually it was behind the scenes or very nuanced, but in some cases he became very directly and publicly involved. And interestingly, he used his relationship with Buddhism as one major factor in gaining almost total respect from the people. In 1992 he put an end to the Suchinda government...had PM Suchinda and Chamlong Srimuang (his main rival) crawling around on their hands and knees literally on international television while he sternly lectured them, resulting in the end of that government within hours. And that political difficulty paled in comparison to what happened 3.5 years ago and currently.

And yes, Tom, he is the longest reigning Thai king and the longest reigning monarch currently alive in the world. Interesting, when this dynasty began in 1782, the royal fortune tellers predicted there would be 9 kings in this dynasty...and King Bhumipohl is the ninth.

Of course I need to watch what I say and in fact cannot comment on a lot of what you have raised. But yes I know of that fortune about the 9 kings and I don't know what will happen to be honest. Anyway I have said enough probably so I will hush about this subject in particular.
    Yes, Tom, you do need to be careful on this topic. Free speech in Thailand is not really very free on some topics.
    Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Off-topic, but apparently if you drop a baht on the street and step on it to stop it from rolling/flying away, you could be violating the country's Lèse majesté laws.

Off-topic, but apparently if you drop a baht on the street and step on it to stop it from rolling/flying away, you could be violating the country's Lèse majesté laws.

Technically yes. I remember how appalled one of my Thai friends was when I put some extra bills in my shoe one day!

• vinlyn said:

Technically yes. I remember how appalled one of my Thai friends was when I put some extra bills in my shoe one day!

This law is somewhat lax now though, if you drop money though you and every Thai around will run to get it, even if it is rian like 1baht. Hey @vinlyn I have a 1baht note :p I dunno how old it is.

Anyway watching the news and things still getting worse, gun fire and they seem persistent to storm the government buildings. I have a feeling Yinluck is going to have to leave all together soon. Then what? Same old same old, some yellow shirt democracy steps in and in 3 years the red shirts will get all spurred by Thaksin and do what is going on now by the yellow shirts.
    1 baht note? Really? Never knew there was such a thing.
  • Yea it is in a sorry state and the King must be in his mid 20s on it, also have a 10baht note.
    Wow. Interesting. 10 baht notes were very common in the late 1980s when I started visiting Thailand.

Don't you know that the King forever looks 20...except, of course, in real life. :D
  • vinlyn said:

Wow. Interesting. 10 baht notes were very common in the late 1980s when I started visiting Thailand.

Don't you know that the King forever looks 20...except, of course, in real life. :D

No comment
    :rolleyes:

Anyway today was meant to be the day that the people took the government buildings and completed a coup, but they have failed for the most part. It is the Kings Birthday on the 5th and I wonder if they will actually stop in respect, I dunno.
    edited December 2013
    Yes, I've been wondering about that, also. Perhaps the best day...or should I say night...I ever had in Thailand was the night of the King's birthday. I went down to Ratchadamnoen Boulevard to see the floats and lights, etc. Thousands of Thai families were milling around, many just sitting on the pavement having picnics, and dozens of families invited me to join them. Very memorable.
  • Hua Hin is lit up and from now until about February and puts most Western Christmas decorations to shame.

Yes, I was quite surprised at the stunning decorations in the main shopping district in Bangkok. Amazing!
  • Both of you just be careful, OK? When there's chaos unleashed like this and a government being threatened, innocent bystanders can get hurt.
    EvenThird
  • Cinorjer said:

Both of you just be careful, OK? When there's chaos unleashed like this and a government being threatened, innocent bystanders can get hurt.

Thanks and yes that is what is already starting to happen unfortunately. However, I highly doubt things will spread outside of Bangkok, if they did that would be something major and I will be leaving to Laos or something, but I highly doubt that will happen. Here in Hua Hin it is as if you are sectioned off form all of this to be honest.
    Cinorjer said:

Both of you just be careful, OK? When there's chaos unleashed like this and a government being threatened, innocent bystanders can get hurt.

I'm back living in the States now, so no worry for me now...but Tom needs to be aware...although Hua Hin seems unaffected at this time. There's always the slight possibility of a civil war that could affect the whole country. In the last riots 3.5 years ago that led me to leave, it was clear that the nation's powerful police force were clearly on the Red Shirt side, while the military was clearly on the Democrat side. That's a recipe for disaster.

I don't think the problem here is that Pheu Thai is controlling the country, as much as the problem is who is controlling Pheu Thai. Until that is resolved there will be no ultimate peace in Thailand.

• What the English news sites I read don't really cover is the WHY of the demonstrations. Is is simply one political party demanding the other one step down and put their guy in charge? Seems that no election there is ever accepted by the losing side.
    Cinorjer said:

What the English news sites I read don't really cover is the WHY of the demonstrations. Is is simply one political party demanding the other one step down and put their guy in charge? Seems that no election there is ever accepted by the losing side.

Well, yes, but it's more than that.

The yellow shirts and others who are now protesting tend to be the old power structure, which would include the upper class, growing middle class, well educated, the army, and the royalty. They also tend to be more from Bangkok and the south.

The red shirts (who practically burned everything in site 3.5 years ago; okay, that's an exaggeration, but 30 major buildings is a lot of arson) tend to be the poor, the uneducated, no work skills other than perhaps farming, the police (note that for the most part, the army and police are on opposite sides, and both are extremely powerful). They are especially strong in the Issan plateau and somewhat in the north.

There are several major themes, but they're all mixed up:

1. We want democracy but we love our royalty.
    2. We don't even know what democracy means.
    3. If we don't like the way it's going, let's have a coup. That's democracy. No, it's not. (BTW, there have been at least 18 coups since 1832 when the absolute monarchy ended).
    4. If we don't like the coup, let's punish the coup-makers.
    5. Mass protests and riots are democracy. No, they're not.
    6. Let's write a new constitution that favors our side. (There have also been at least 18 constitutions since 1932).
    7. I want what I want when I want it.

Several years ago an ass named Taksin got elected PM. He was corrupt as they come and very needy for attention. Though a multimillionaire himself, he put in reforms such as national health care, and other things that particularly benefited the poor. Through that and outright buying of votes (nothing new there, but also never to that extent) he amassed so much power that the military stepped in and took over the government. Taksin was convicted of various offenses and fled the country (now in Dubai). The opposite party took power...Abhiset became PM and was a pretty clean politician (no wonder he failed in Thailand). The red shirts wanted Taksin back regardless of his illegal deeds, demonstrated, rioted, but couldn't quite pull off bringing Taksin back. So they put his sister up as PM...and to varying degrees it's brother Taksin who pulls the strings, although I sense she is a little more independent than some think.

Meanwhile, in the back of every Thai's mind is the age and frailty of King Bhumipohl, who they honestly love. That will (probably) bring to power his son...the relatively hated Prince. And most (if you get them to talk privately) see that as a very dark day.

So everything is changing in a society that resist change far more than most. Nothing is reliable. Nothing is dependable. The future is a haze.

Invincible_summer
  • vinlyn said:

Cinorjer said:

What the English news sites I read don't really cover is the WHY of the demonstrations. Is is simply one political party demanding the other one step down and put their guy in charge? Seems that no election there is ever accepted by the losing side.

Well, yes, but it's more than that.

The yellow shirts and others who are now protesting tend to be the old power structure, which would include the upper class, growing middle class, well educated, the army, and the royalty. They also tend to be more from Bangkok and the south.

The red shirts (who practically burned everything in site 3.5 years ago; okay, that's an exaggeration, but 30 major buildings is a lot of arson) tend to be the poor, the uneducated, no work skills other than perhaps farming, the police (note that for the most part, the army and police are on opposite sides, and both are extremely powerful). They are especially strong in the Issan plateau and somewhat in the north.

There are several major themes, but they're all mixed up:

1. We want democracy but we love our royalty.
    2. We don't even know what democracy means.
    3. If we don't like the way it's going, let's have a coup. That's democracy. No, it's not. (BTW, there have been at least 18 coups since 1832 when the absolute monarchy ended).
    4. If we don't like the coup, let's punish the coup-makers.
    5. Mass protests and riots are democracy. No, they're not.
    6. Let's write a new constitution that favors our side. (There have also been at least 18 constitutions since 1932).
    7. I want what I want when I want it.

Several years ago an ass named Taksin got elected PM. He was corrupt as they come and very needy for attention. Though a multimillionaire himself, he put in reforms such as national health care, and other things that particularly benefited the poor. Through that and outright buying of votes (nothing new there, but also never to that extent) he amassed so much power that the military stepped in and took over the government. Taksin was convicted of various offenses and fled the country (now in Dubai). The opposite party took power...Abhiset became PM and was a pretty clean politician (no wonder he failed in Thailand). The red shirts wanted Taksin back regardless of his illegal deeds, demonstrated, rioted, but couldn't quite pull off bringing Taksin back. So they put his sister up as PM...and to varying degrees it's brother Taksin who pulls the strings, although I sense she is a little more independent than some think.

Meanwhile, in the back of every Thai's mind is the age and frailty of King Bhumipohl, who they honestly love. That will (probably) bring to power his son...the relatively hated Prince. And most (if you get them to talk privately) see that as a very dark day.

So everything is changing in a society that resist change far more than most. Nothing is reliable. Nothing is dependable. The future is a haze.

It's a rocking and rollin rollercoaster baby :p
    vinlyn
    BTW, my mistake...at one point in the above post I said 1832, but meant 1932.

Sorry.
  • Earlier at the Hua Hin station, look at the lights and take my word for it, no picture or video can do this justice!

• ^ Just maybe turn down the volume to 50% :D
  • Here you go Vinlyn, basically the King did make a speech on his Birthday calling for a coming together of the people and restore peace. The protesters have stopped today for his birthday but say they will resume again once the celebrations are over..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25221607
    Another useless speech that gave no specifics. Not what I'd call real leadership.
  • Hats off to Yinluck, she has done this in the right manner unlike the former government who fought and fought thus there was a lot of bloodshed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25252795
    I don't trust her. She's gone back and forth over the past few days about what was possible.
  • hahaha and you think I trust her? No I do not but I think it is better than letting things escalate and people come to harm and death. Anyway she has not set a date yet but she has to keep to her word, imagine if she doesn't... look at all of the thousands and thousands of people who will flip out if she does a U-turn
    I learned that today the government warned that foreigners caught participating would face possible deportation. They are thinking of charging groups who supplied water, toilets, or medical care to protesters with treason.
  • That's crazy, any sources at all on that? You are always bashing me for having no reliable sources :p
    News feed on Thaivisa.com, with most of their reports coming from the English language newspaper "The Nation".
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    It Has
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Now what?

Election in Feb. Everyone happy, until new govt does not live up to expectations...
  • So we have the farmer and poorer class with loyalty to the King on one hand, and the richer and upwardly mobile city population on the other with their ties to a small group of rich politicians? And of course the real power in the country is the military, who probably won't get involved unless city wide fighting breaks out? And the courts are heavily politicized so not trusted?

Isn't it frustrating when there is no way to separate the good guys from the bad guys? When it's all just people unhappy and mired in old grudges and looking for an excuse to act on their anger?

There is no real loyalty the king. It is imagined. It is mouthed.
  • vinlyn said:

There is no real loyalty the king. It is imagined. It is mouthed.

I disagree with this, I know quite a few Thais and it is not something merely spoken, he is really revered by the majority of his people, especially the elder classes. This place s going to suffer hugely when he goes and why, because of the people's devotion. On his Birthday here here came here to his Palace in Hua Hin as he prefers it here. There were thousands of people camping out on the main road a couple of days before so they could just catch a glimpse of the car he may be in before it went into the Palace. Why did the protesters stop for 3 days around his Birthday, out of respect, so I think saying there is no loyalty is quite skewed.

@anataman pretty much lol. Unless Thailand suddenly wakes up and comes out of this continual cycle of electing, ousting and fighting, there will be no change. However I see it in the younger generations, the more educated ones at least that there is a degree of differing ideology going on. Even in my partner who is 42 now, she was born in Issan which is red shirt territory, she has said that both sides are as bad as one another, nothing will help the situation if this continues and it will only continue to hurt the nation. Yingluck is probably going to win the election though as she has more followers, but nothing is certain. If she loses, who will come into power? If she does lose though I can see the red shirt movement feeling as if they have been duped and thus will rally and get angry. If she wins, the yellow shirts will probably go back to protesting and try to oust her, but it is all based on predictions and the past plus my personal opinion.
    I used to think that, too, Tom. But it's all very shallow. For example, reading behind the lines in his speech the other day it was clear that he was talking about uniting the country. 24 hours later the protests against the government were huge. Did they actually follow his obscure advice? No.

Up until 1992 he did lead, but since then he had done virtually nothing. He never says anything specific. He gives speeches that everybody watches...and then ignores. He has done nothing to save the country from his son becoming king. And, he has ultimately approved every one of the eighteen coups, every one of the 18 constitutions, and every one of the failed governments. Not once has he raised a finger to say anything of meaning when lousy governments and poor constitutions have been promulgated. What can we say about his reign? Oh, some good things long in the past. And the most military coups of any country in the history of the world. As far as I can find out, the most failed constitutions of any country in the world. I read the other day that during his reign -- since 1946 -- only 1 government has finished its regular term of office. And he signed off on every failed decision. He has done nothing to dismantle one of the harshest lèse majesté laws in the world. And meanwhile, he has amassed a personal fortune in excess of $30 billion.

Of course, I have to give you the following advice, Tom -- don't respond to my post.
    Tom, I was going to suggest that you read "The King Never Smiles", but of course, you can't. It's banned.
  • hehe yes I am not stupid enough to respond to that don't worry. Also I have heard of the book but as you know have never actually read it. I heard about a farang who wrote something about 'the dude' and was sentenced to 6 years.

Anyway Vinlyn have you ever asked a red shirt why they like Thaksin? Why they like that party? I am curious to know if you have ever done this yourself?