Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Paul Walker dies. Do you think it is foolish for people to speed around in a sports car?

Paul Walker dies. Do you think it is foolish for people to speed around in a sports car?
Paul was not the driver in the car crash.

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    there are many foolish things humans do on a daily basis, some can get us hurt or killed. There are many thousands who die on the road each day.
    VastmindInvincible_summerKundo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2013
    About 100 people a day die in the US in car accidents.
    If he was not an actor...and was a plumber...would it
    make the news? How about a garbage man? .....
    What about a homemaker driving the mini- van?.....
    ....probably not.

Speed...in sports cars? From what I hear from men...that's the
    point. hahaha
    howThailandTomChaz
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @jayantha & Vastmind
    Agreed but it's also
    ironic that his most famous acting role as a reckless,seemingly indestructible speedster is what will survive his death.
    VastmindInvincible_summerKundoChaz
  • It is interesting that we accept the fact that thousands die in traffic accidents everyday.
    Yet when an airplane crash, we make such a big fuss.
    poptart
    edited December 2013
    ^^^
    Airplane crash? Where did that come from?
    What does that have to do with the OP?

it's interesting how you didn't post any
    other persons death notice from yesterday.
    It seems you are making the same point I was trying to make...
    Your making a 'fuss' about one person and not all the
    others.

Maybe I didn't understand where you were going with the
    OP? Did you want to discuss how his death is bothering you...
    or how the speed/way of his death is bothering you?

edited December 2013
    Had to add: I feel for his family. Experiencing the death of family
    makes for some rough days. May they have strength, love, and support
    around them at this time.
    edited December 2013
    the airplane thing is a much more rare event hence when it happens and it is reported it is much more visceral and scary to people then " well in Interstate 95 we have ANOTHER crash resulting in multiple fatalities this hour, bringing the total this hour to 4".

oh also btw.. the chance of death in an airplane crash is equal to the chance of an asteroid hitting the planet, or so is claimed in a study I saw a few months back.
    Vastmind
    edited December 2013
    ^^^
    True....the garbage man is more significant if he went down
    in an airplane holding 400 people and the circumstances around
    the plane crash are.....well..."a national security problem". ????
    Just sad.
    I'm lighting incense tonight for everyone that died today.
    The old lady who's body just gave out. The child who died of hunger.
    The man who fell off the roof hanging Christmas lights. The young
    lady who had a heart attack while at work. All the people who are not
    famous. I'm sure they impacted some people in a positive way, and
    their families are grieving. May we all realize and meditate on death.
    Jeffrey
  • 20 + years ago, when my wife was pregnant, I researched automobile safety. At that time, the most dangerous car in the US (deaths per 100,000 vehicles, if I recall the metric correctly) was the Chevrolet Corvette, and the safest was the Volvo station wagon. Interestingly, the two vehicles were within 50 lb of the same weight. Obviously, there's more at play than vehicle design, though the Corvette is plastic and the Volvo is specifically engineered for safety. A major factor is who drives these cars, and the manner in which they drive them. So yes, screeching about in fast cars is bad for you.

And we bought a Volvo wagon.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Corvette or Corvair? The latter often caught on fire, as I recall.
  • Dont assume.
    I have always been very concerned about the large number of people what are killed in road accidents. I lost 2 uncles to reckless drivers.

Believe it or not , I didn’t know who Paul Walker was until a few hours ago.

Vastmind said:

^^^
    Airplane crash? Where did that come from?
    What does that have to do with the OP?

it's interesting how you didn't post any
    other persons death notice from yesterday.
    It seems you are making the same point I was trying to make...
    Your making a 'fuss' about one person and not all the
    others.

Maybe I didn't understand where you were going with the
    OP? Did you want to discuss how his death is bothering you...
    or how the speed/way of his death is bothering you?

edited December 2013
    What did I assume?

If you didn't know who he was...that confuses me even more as
    to the point of the OP?

Your the one that posted the discussion. I think maybe you
    assumed what the responses would be. I'm off on this thread...I'm
    totally lost as to the point....have a good night.

• Before...

• After....

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Not much of a surprise here.

I'd say speeding around is foolish and even selfish. I'm glad they hit a tree and not a person.

May all beings be free of the consequences of other peoples need to look cool.
    poptartVastmindChaz
  • I heard a scientist say something very profound the other day. He said that death is inevitable , we all go through it and experience it in life, yet we are always surprised when it happens. This should be no surprise really, fast car, stupidly fast car in fact and we all know cars are one of the most dangerous forms of transport. Also, like it has been mentioned where are all the other car wreck stories..? O yea, they are insignificant because they are not famous and have millions of dollars.

However from what I can gather he was a decent bloke, he was on his way to his own charity organization I read..? Anyway I saw this and laughed, if it offends anybody sorry, it is not graphic, just my sense of humor. I remember Ajahn Brahm saying in one of his talks that him and a monk often laughed and joked at funerals they held, obviously not in front of everyone and not making fun of the dead, but they understand that death is natural, just as natural as being born, eating food, breathing or walking down the street.

• vinlyn said:

Corvette or Corvair? The latter often caught on fire, as I recall.

I believe that the Corvair was an exceptional design, ahead of its time actually, that was cancelled after being unfairly singled out for critisizm by Ralf Nader in his book, Unsafe at Any Speed. It was the car's handling the was questioned, and later proved to be quite adequate.
    Poor sales resulting from Nader's book contributed to the end of its production.
    Quite collectible.

Of course it's crazy to speed around in sports cars. You are a menace to yourself and everyone else when you do that.
    It must be very tempting for those young people with so much money to do it.
    You wouldn't believe the number of Ferraris and Lamborghinis there are in Vancouver, many with a learners sticker on the back.
  • Another contender for the Darwin Awards.
    DavidVastmind
  • Well, at least he died doing what he loved. I love to go fast too. I don't thrash my car about, but I'm a fairly aggressive driver, and I drive my car fairly hard. I am thankful he did not hit a person or another vehicle, though. But this is why I prefer motorbikes. I can go fast if I want, and if I wreck and crash into someone's car they'll step out and go "Oi! ya scuffed my pain- oh wait no that guy's dead"

Motorcycles can be dangerous yeah, so can cars. But the difference is, motorcycles are much, much less dangerous to those around the motorcyclist. Though, still dangerous.

I don't know why they didn't do what I do, though. For the most part, I drive perfectly legally on the roads, just cruising. I may accelerate and brake harder than most people, but that's about it. if I REALLY want to push my vehicle to the limits, I wait for a public track day, or find a racetrack that is not in use, pay to rent some time on it, or if I am REALLY lucky they just let me on the track because nothing else is happening.

Fun stuff, padded barriers to crash into, and huge gravel runoff zones that stop you before you damage your car or yourself, and no traffic or pedestrians.

Perfect.
  • My best friend as I was growing up was a risk taker. I dreaded riding in his car because he loved pushing the limits all the time. The adrenalin and white-knuckle ride I saw as danger to be avoided was to his mind excitement and a high he craved. I honestly think there's something biological behind the risk taker's obsession with danger.

He went on to race motorcycles, of all things. Many crashes and broken bones later, he retired from racing but I bet he still would scare the pants off me if he was in the driver's seat.
  • @Cinorjer I hear you, that's how I got addicted to that kind of driving. A friend of mine had a PSYCHO ex-gf who got on our tail while we were driving around town. I don't mean just following us, I mean riding our bumper, quite literally, with her front bumper.

Long story short, 80mph through 30mph residential area with narrow, curved roads, lined with parked cars on either side. Towards the end we power slid through a roundabout and got away. We parked somewhere inconspicuous, and killed the lights. After I recovered from the shock of it all, my initial reaction surprised myself more than it did him. I just started banging on the roof going "Again! do it AGAIN!"

I'd never recommend driving like that, though *coughs* And uh, here's a vid that I feel, displays exactly why I like driving like that. Though, you'll notice a majority of the vid is shot on race tracks and closed courses.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    ourself said:

I'm glad they hit a tree and not a person.

What a lovely sentiment.

EvenThirdDavid
    Zayl said:

For the most part, I drive perfectly legally on the roads, just cruising. I may accelerate and brake harder than most people, but that's about it. if I REALLY want to push my vehicle to the limits, I wait for a public track day, or find a racetrack that is not in use, pay to rent some time on it, or if I am REALLY lucky they just let me on the track because nothing else is happening.

I'm with you.

I drive a sports car - a '99 Miata - and seldom exceed the speed limit by more than 5-8mph and then only with an open road ahead of me.

Living near the mountains I do a lot of canyon driving and even there, where cops are rare, I seldom break the limit. A Miata is a car that need not be driven "fast" to be fun. Just the same, you can't always do the limit because of traffic - cars, bicycles, pedestrians and such - will hold you up. Best to put the top down, relax and enjoy the drive.

I have no interest in the car's limits and track days don't interest me, but there are three tracks nearby I can run on if I want. I'd have to install a rollbar to do TD's on some tracks, and I don't have one, although I'm giving serious thought to foir this time next year. I need to get tires and new coilovers before that. There's an outlet for a need for speed if one's needed.

I find Walker's case ironic in that he was the passenger. It's tragic in that lives were lost. They could have driven a hour, tracked the car and driven as fast as the car could go without lethal obstructions, like trees, to hit if they lost control.

I ran into some guys who have tricked-out Audis Porsche's, Vettes and so on and they get together at a cafe near the foothills at 2 am, and do a high-speed run out I70 to Vail. Frikkin crazy IYAM.

• Honestly, I have a hard time not judging people who take stupid risks in cars. If they were only endangering themselves, that's one thing. But they're not. I have anxiety around driving. I like it but only late at night when there is no other traffic. It amazes me that people can be so comfortable in a car.

As for Paul Walker and his friend, I think it is sad. Just like anyone. Two lives cut short due to (seeming) careless behaviour.
  • Zayl said:

Well, at least he died doing what he loved. I love to go fast too. I don't thrash my car about, but I'm a fairly aggressive driver, and I drive my car fairly hard. I am thankful he did not hit a person or another vehicle, though. But this is why I prefer motorbikes. I can go fast if I want, and if I wreck and crash into someone's car they'll step out and go "Oi! ya scuffed my pain- oh wait no that guy's dead"

Motorcycles can be dangerous yeah, so can cars. But the difference is, motorcycles are much, much less dangerous to those around the motorcyclist. Though, still dangerous.

I don't know why they didn't do what I do, though. For the most part, I drive perfectly legally on the roads, just cruising. I may accelerate and brake harder than most people, but that's about it. if I REALLY want to push my vehicle to the limits, I wait for a public track day, or find a racetrack that is not in use, pay to rent some time on it, or if I am REALLY lucky they just let me on the track because nothing else is happening.

Fun stuff, padded barriers to crash into, and huge gravel runoff zones that stop you before you damage your car or yourself, and no traffic or pedestrians.

Perfect.

Aggression and fast acceleration/braking is threatening to other drivers. Even if what you're doing is legal.

I am recovering psychologically from an accident early this year (I had right of way, going straight, the other driver was turning right and failed to stop) and it's drivers like you, being aggressive and impatient, which makes it much harder for me to regain my confidence on the road. We forget that driving is (or should be) a bond of trust between us and other people. Someone following too close, accelerating too aggressively etc can have me pulled over in tears trying to stave off a panic attack. Please think about that.
    edited December 2013

Honestly, I have a hard time not judging people

your statement need stop just there. we all as humans have a hard time not judging people, at least all those who are not awakened anyways lol. Look at my threat with Al Gore going Vegan and my comment about him there. There is also a lot of judgement in this thread, it is normal and natural, even though all our egos try to justify it or cover it over to not piece our "buddhist" personas :P.

Paul Walker was a human, we are humans(yes even al gore :P), all beings mired in attachment, aversion, and delusion. May we all be at peace and remember the three delusions taught by the Buddha.

I am better than...

I am worse then...

I am equal to..
    Chaz
  • Oh, I know you're right. It comes from fear. I get upset that people can so callously disregard others' safety for their own personal enjoyment. I really struggle to understand. People just want to get home safely, and anyone being reckless can prevent that from happening in a second.

I am recovering psychologically from an accident early this year (I had right of way, going straight, the other driver was turning right and failed to stop) and it's drivers like you, being aggressive and impatient, which makes it much harder for me to regain my confidence on the road. We forget that driving is (or should be) a bond of trust between us and other people. Someone following too close, accelerating too aggressively etc can have me pulled over in tears trying to stave off a panic attack. Please think about that.

My wife had a similar situation. She was a passenger, involved in accident where a drunk driver ran a red light and plowed into the van my wife was riding in.

That was 30 years ago and she's still is a little jumpy when she's riding with others and some other car does something that surprises her.

But, your claim that other peoples' driving can put you in such a raw panic that you must literally pull over to fend off a panic attack, is troubling. People who get panic attacks in traffic shouldn't be behind the wheel at all. Such drivers can be even more dangerous than someone driving aggressively - at least the aggressive driver is still in reasonable command of his emotional faculties.

Have you gotten counseling for these panic attacks? These appear to be environmentally triggered and could therefore be helped by some proper counsel.. I sure hope so, anyway.

• pyramidsongpyramidsong Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Yes, you are correct, and I am under no illusion that my anxiety makes me a safe driver. It's why I currently limit myself to driving at quiet times, and only locally. Graduated exposure therapy.

Yes, I am seeing a psychologist.

I'm sorry your wife went through that and am glad she is ok.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Chaz said:

ourself said:

I'm glad they hit a tree and not a person.

What a lovely sentiment.

You're right, that was pretty lacking in compassion. What made that comment even worse is all the good he did in the world in his short time here.

I don't like it when people put lives at risk but I am not glad they hit a tree... Still better a tree than a person but gladness has nothing to do with it.

Thank you for the lesson in right speech.

sndymorn

Yes, you are correct, and I am under no illusion that my anxiety makes me a safe driver. It's why I currently limit myself to driving at quiet times, and only locally. Graduated exposure therapy.

Yes, I am seeing a psychologist.

I'm sorry your wife went through that and am glad she is ok.

It's good you're getting some help, and aren't trying to rationalize your anxiety as safe driving. Just the same, you perhaps shouldn't be driving at all. Those things you say can trigger panic can happen anywhere, any time. What if it happens in a school zone? Near a hospital? Anywhere where there's likely to be traffic or people around? If it was me, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a car. I know exactly how dangerous a car is, even when the driver is "hitting on all cylinders" as they say. If the environment of driving was, for me, compromised by my emotional/psychological state, I'd be on the bus.
  • Oh, I know you're right. It comes from fear. I get upset that people can so callously disregard others' safety for their own personal enjoyment. I really struggle to understand. People just want to get home safely, and anyone being reckless can prevent that from happening in a second.

But you see, my friend insisted he was in complete control of the vehicle, and for all I know he was. It was far past my comfort zone and any cop would have given him a ticket for reckless driving for a lot of that stuff he pulled, but in his mind, he wasn't endangering himself or other people. Just saying people justify their actions. It's not that most of the speeders of the world don't care if they're a danger, they simply choose to believe they aren't a danger.
    edited December 2013
    Drunk drivers often do the same.
    Cinorjer said:

Oh, I know you're right. It comes from fear. I get upset that people can so callously disregard others' safety for their own personal enjoyment. I really struggle to understand. People just want to get home safely, and anyone being reckless can prevent that from happening in a second.

But you see, my friend insisted he was in complete control of the vehicle, and for all I know he was. It was far past my comfort zone and any cop would have given him a ticket for reckless driving for a lot of that stuff he pulled, but in his mind, he wasn't endangering himself or other people. Just saying people justify their actions. It's not that most of the speeders of the world don't care if they're a danger, they simply choose to believe they aren't a danger.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited December 2013
    All drivers do that. When you're behind the wheel You are a danger no matter how safe or defensive you are being or how much you are following the traffic laws. Of course, this means the faster and harder you drive, the more dangerous you become. But to me, the most dangerous people in the world (in cars, anyway) are people who forget they are piloting a multi-ton screaming metal death-trap. And who think merely by driving within the bounds of all the rules, that they are NOT a danger.

And sometimes you need some aggressiveness when you are driving. I'm not talking about cutting people off or giving other drivers the finger. But, I mean, to me the worst drivers I personally know are the ones who are far, far too defensive. What I mean is, they always hesitate. They linger in the middle of intersections, their indecision and hesitation in other scenarios makes them entirely unpredictable. I've seen people attempting to merge into the fast lane, they almost have a tunnel vision, focusing on cars in the fast lane. As soon as they see one who, in their mind, is doing something they do not like they jerk the wheel or slam on the brakes or some other over-reaction, which in turn can lead to a collision, or freak out other drivers and cause THEM to hit something.

Sometimes, you need to just go for it. If you're merging into the fast lane and you notice a car coming up behind you as you are in the process of merging. Don't swerve back, don't straddle the lanes trying to think of what to do. No, you redline that baby, shift gear, flick the wheel, get into the fast lane and pick up speed so the guy coming up behind you has time to slow down or get into the other lane and the drivers in the slow lane don't have to worry about you careening into them in an attempt not to get hit.

Sorry for my long post. But one of the biggest mistakes someone can make behind the wheel, is believing that being 100% defensive means they are 100% safe. No, you are always, always, always a danger to yourself and others, every time you get behind that wheel.
    Chaz
    edited December 2013
    Zayl said:

All drivers do that. When you're behind the wheel You are a danger no matter how safe or defensive you are being or how much you are following the traffic laws. Of course, this means the faster and harder you drive, the more dangerous you become. But to me, the most dangerous people in the world (in cars, anyway) are people who forget they are piloting a multi-ton screaming metal death-trap. And who think merely by driving within the bounds of all the rules, that they are NOT a danger.

And sometimes you need some aggressiveness when you are driving. I'm not talking about cutting people off or giving other drivers the finger. But, I mean, to me the worst drivers I personally know are the ones who are far, far too defensive. What I mean is, they always hesitate. They linger in the middle of intersections, their indecision and hesitation in other scenarios makes them entirely unpredictable. I've seen people attempting to merge into the fast lane, they almost have a tunnel vision, focusing on cars in the fast lane. As soon as they see one who, in their mind, is doing something they do not like they jerk the wheel or slam on the brakes or some other over-reaction, which in turn can lead to a collision, or freak out other drivers and cause THEM to hit something.

Sometimes, you need to just go for it. If you're merging into the fast lane and you notice a car coming up behind you as you are in the process of merging. Don't swerve back, don't straddle the lanes trying to think of what to do. No, you redline that baby, shift gear, flick the wheel, get into the fast lane and pick up speed so the guy coming up behind you has time to slow down or get into the other lane and the drivers in the slow lane don't have to worry about you careening into them in an attempt not to get hit.

Sorry for my long post. But one of the biggest mistakes someone can make behind the wheel, is believing that being 100% defensive means they are 100% safe. No, you are always, always, always a danger to yourself and others, every time you get behind that wheel.

I will agree that there are times you need to be aggressive, or as I'd like to say assertive. When I had to take my wife to sloan kettering in nyc I learned how to drive in the city. The only way you survive, get anywhere, and not cause accidents in the city is by being that assertive driver.

otherwise a 25 year old female co-worker who has driven with me says I drive like grandpa LOL, but you could put me in that city any day and I'll show her who's grandpa :P.
  • I've been motorbiking in SE Asia quite a bit in the last couple of years. Most recently here in Indonesia. It's quite exciting. I've definetly learned some new tricks.
    It's pretty humbling at times though. Without some skills you'll be crushed like a bug in city traffic.
    Just when I think I'm getting really good, some guy goes ripping past with his whole family on board.
    Everyday is a good day for me when I get to my room in one piece.
    ThailandTomChaz
  • robot said:

I've been motorbiking in SE Asia quite a bit in the last couple of years. Most recently here in Indonesia. It's quite exciting. I've definetly learned some new tricks.
    It's pretty humbling at times though. Without some skills you'll be crushed like a bug in city traffic.
    Just when I think I'm getting really good, some guy goes ripping past with his whole family on board.

Same and I love it, like Zayl said he likes the feeling of speed, so do I. I used to race moto X when I was a kid so I think it is bred into me, I cannot go slow, simply cannot. I get a rush from over taking 2-3 cars with a truck oncoming and just making it. Riding a bike puts more danger on yourself and less on others unlike in a car, but that does not make it ok for me to drink and take valium and ride around but I do, a lot less now though. I have been lucky for the past 4 years, I have had 5 crashes, 3 of which were pretty much just slide outs at low speed, one I got hit side on by a car and the other was a 90kmh slide out on a highway with only jeans and a T shirt on at night in the rain. I was really intoxicated though, when I crashed it sobered me up and I decided to turn around and head home instead of this crazy journey I planned whilst drunk on whisky and valium.

I guess you could say I have been lucky, I have been stopped by Thai police countless times, I even called one 'kee gong' which means kind of like a cheat and unfair. he then pushed me and I said 'jai yen yen' which means relax or literally cool your heart, and he replied 'jai lawn, jai lawn' which means hot heart. That could have landed me in trouble. Also oddly I was stopped at 3am drunk as a skunk, no license, no insurance and no helmet, a little chit chat and he sent me on my way lol..

I had a friend who decided he would drive to Penang in Malaysia from Hua Hin, took him 5 days and he crashed twice. I would love to ride my bike from here to England but there are visa issues, license issues, insurance issues, getting killed in Russia or somewhere like that, but it would be on hell of a journey.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited December 2013

robot said:

I've been motorbiking in SE Asia quite a bit in the last couple of years. Most recently here in Indonesia. It's quite exciting. I've definetly learned some new tricks.

Same and I love it, like Zayl said he likes the feeling of speed, so do I. I used to race moto X when I was a kid so I think it is bred into me, I cannot go slow, simply cannot. I get a rush from over taking 2-3 cars with a truck oncoming and just making it. Riding a bike puts more danger on yourself and less on others unlike in a car, but that does not make it ok for me to drink and take valium and ride around but I do, a lot less now though. I have been lucky for the past 4 years, I have had 5 crashes, 3 of which were pretty much just slide outs at low speed, one I got hit side on by a car and the other was a 90kmh slide out on a highway with only jeans and a T shirt on at night in the rain. I was really intoxicated though, when I crashed it sobered me up and I decided to turn around and head home instead of this crazy journey I planned whilst drunk on whisky and valium.

I guess you could say I have been lucky, I have been stopped by Thai police countless times, I even called one 'kee gong' which means kind of like a cheat and unfair. he then pushed me and I said 'jai yen yen' which means relax or literally cool your heart, and he replied 'jai lawn, jai lawn' which means hot heart. That could have landed me in trouble. Also oddly I was stopped at 3am drunk as a skunk, no license, no insurance and no helmet, a little chit chat and he sent me on my way lol..

I had a friend who decided he would drive to Penang in Malaysia from Hua Hin, took him 5 days and he crashed twice. I would love to ride my bike from here to England but there are visa issues, license issues, insurance issues, getting killed in Russia or somewhere like that, but it would be on hell of a journey.

I love the little bikes. At first I was using honda waves because I thought the gears were the way to go. Now I think the automatics are superior. In a 125cc they seem to pull harder. And they are more technically advanced. Linked brakes and such. And no noisy chain.
    I've only come off once so far. I hit something slippery in an intersection in Sukhothai. No damage to me or the bike.
    The traffic in indo is similar to Thailand. Maybe busier, but I have only ridden in Yogyakarta so far. I'm planning to try a tour of Bali next week.
    In canada I was riding an Aprilia Tuono. Pretty sporty. Now when I sit on it it seems ridiculously huge. Who needs to go 250kph?
  • I have a 4 speed semi automatic susuki, but I would ideally like a 600cc ninja, that is what I am saving up for, my death.

Have a nice time down in Bali, I want to visit Indonesia at some point, but I would prefer to try and stay off of the tourist trail for the most part.

I have hurt myself in grazes and that is it, a few bruises, I have smashed panels to bits twice and that car that hit my side on, she had my foot peg inside her front bumper. The insurance guy came and concluded she was in the wrong so I went on my way :)

• Have a nice time down in Bali, I want to visit Indonesia at some point, but I would prefer to try and stay off of the tourist trail for the most part.

That's what I thought. And that's probably the way I will go. The area that my hotel is in right now is not in a tourist district. Which is the same thing that I did when I went to Thailand the first time.
    Ever heard of Fang?
    Anyway what I found there and am finding out here is that I'm happier to be in an area where folks are used to dealing with tourists at least until I get to know how things work. What food to order. What the roads are like. And the people. I've heard that if you stay away from southern Bali, you can avoid a lot of the tourist action.
    A 600cc sport bike is wasted in Thailand IMO. I'd take the honda 250. Lighter, more nimble.

Sorry about the off topic banter.
  • Well I live in Hua Hin and the roads are not too congested, plus lots of country roads and there is the main vein of Thailand that runs from Bangkok all the way South, it runs right through Hua Hin. That is the road I crashed on at 90kmph actually. Maybe you are right but I just love ninjas and have wanted one for years.

Never heard of fang no, I know it means 'listen' in Thai or 'teeth' depending on the tone. I first went to Kohsan Rd in Bangkok like most tourists and it was a nice experience for the most part, but I won't go back, the same with Phuket I won't be going back there. In Indonesia the only thing that worries me is the wildlife, I have heard their are a lot more poisonous snakes and things of that nature compared to here?
  • Well I live in Hua Hin and the roads are not too congested, plus lots of country roads and there is the main vein of Thailand that runs from Bangkok all the way South, it runs right through Hua Hin. That is the road I crashed on at 90kmph actually. Maybe you are right but I just love ninjas and have wanted one for years.

Never heard of fang no, I know it means 'listen' in Thai or 'teeth' depending on the tone. I first went to Kohsan Rd in Bangkok like most tourists and it was a nice experience for the most part, but I won't go back, the same with Phuket I won't be going back there. In Indonesia the only thing that worries me is the wildlife, I have heard their are a lot more poisonous snakes and things of that nature compared to here?

Fang is north of Chiang Mai and it's no surprise that you haven't heard of it. Three days after I first landed in Thailand I got a bike and rode up there. Pretty soon I found that I didn't understand how Thai streets work and was afraid to leave my hotel in case I got lost, which I did. I didn't recognize any of the food except the bugs. And no one spoke English and looked at me like I was from Mars. I got out of there and headed down to Pai which is polluted with farang. I felt better.
    I've been making it a point to stay out of the forest unless I'm on a trail where I can see where I'm walking. Thailand is full of snakes as you know. I was lucky to get up close to a monocled cobra last feb on koh Lanta noi. They say that they are plentiful but I've only seen the one so far. The one to avoid is the Malayan pit viper. Supposedly it is lazy so it won't move, and it's aggressive. Bad combination.
  • edited December 2013
    Don't the urge to race, the "need for speed" , makes for a destructive craving?

In Paul Walker's case for example, they were coming from a setting that cherished a behavior that was potentially negative when the setting was not the right one, by racing on a common street the driver took a high risk only to achieve pleasure - he probably didn't think of the danger, or believed himself too skilled to be endangered - thus engaging on a destructive behavior...

I'm not trying to blame the driver, but asking if the problem wasn't really about the craving for pleasure that comes out of the activity itself?
  • Don't the urge to race, the "need for speed" , makes for a destructive craving?

In Paul Walker's case for example, they were coming from a setting that cherished a behavior that was potentially negative when the setting was not the right one, by racing on a common street the driver took a high risk only to achieve pleasure - he probably didn't think of the danger, or believed himself too skilled to be endangered - thus engaging on a destructive behavior...

I'm not trying to blame the driver, but asking if the problem wasn't really uninhibitedly about the craving for pleasure that comes out of the activity itself?

Driving or even walking on the street i dangerous in general, it doesn't matter at what speed so much in certain circumstances. You can be the best most careful driver ever and still go out 1 day and die, I have seen it hundreds of times on the NYC.com (for those are easily disturbed do not visit that site), but the roads in general are not safe for anybody.

I have just gotten back from riding around to markets, a restaurant and a few other places and I was drunk plus 30 mg valium, we are fine and I was riding pretty damn fast. I really do not think, Jonathands that Paul Walker's latter part of his movie career made him want to drive crazily, that is an extreme assumption to make without knowing many facts if any.
  • I DO like how this thread brought out a few motoring enthusiasts on the site. It's what Paul Walker would have wanted... hehe.
    BhikkhuJayasaraChaz
  • Slow and steady.

• robot said:

Slow and steady.

Drunk and stupid.

This was around 2 years ago and that is a rented bike, I know have a semi automatic like I mentioned above. Where are you located at the moment @robot?
    bike.PNG 393.6K
  • robot said:

Slow and steady.

Drunk and stupid.

This was around 2 years ago and that is a rented bike, I know have a semi automatic like I mentioned above. Where are you located at the moment @robot?
    Hi Tom.
    I got back to Ubud in Bali today. I rode north through the mountains then west to Pemuteran. It is quite a climb actually, to high elevation then down again. Small villages, narrow roads, few tourists, till you get to the northern coast.
    After two nights in Pemuteran, I rode east to Amed. A very busy road with many towns until the last part. Amed is moderately developed as a diving and snorkeling destination. Not like Thailand tho. No 7-11. Few private cars. It looks poorer than most thai tourist towns. Very nice. Spent three nights.
    Riding south you pass several hours of very undeveloped villages and countryside. Extremely narrow roads, that follow the coastline up and down some steep hills.
    As you get back toward Denpasar things start to get busy. Stays that way for the rest of the trip back to Ubud.
    Not sure what to do next. Maybe try heading west along the south coast.

ThailandTom