Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you support assisted dying? What is the Boddhist POV?

Do you support assisted dying? What is the Boddhist POV?

Comments

• Reduces suffering.
  • A school friend of my mothers legally ended her nerve pain in this way. She was in constant suffering. The medication did not help.
    My mother went over to Switzerland to say goodbye.
    When everything is exhausted I would consider it the best of a bad situation. I am not sure what else to offer?
  • I fully support assisted suicide for adults in the case of severe physical or mental disabilities, and terminal illness - especially if the suicide was discussed and/or prearranged and not a spur of the moment decision...
    vinlynEvenThirdriverflow
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    technically any taking of life is well.. taking of life..(including suicide) however I also feel it is a persons right to be able to kill themselves via a gunshot wound or assisted suicide and the law should stay out of it.

now if there is an assisted suicide where it is not the person "pushing the button" but someone else, then that gets a bit more complicated.. but as always intention matters.

regardless of the vipaka of the actions there should be no judgement of the people involved nor guilt suffered needlessly.
    JainarayanJeffrey
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    We would do well to remember that going off of life support is not committing suicide, it's just allowing death to happen.
    vinlynEvenThirdriverflow
    ourself said:

We would do well to remember that going off of life support is not committing suicide, it's just allowing death to happen.

I would hope people understand the difference between DNR and assisted suicide, but a valid distinction.
  • I don't believe a society is truly civilised until it allows its citizens the freedom to determine when and how they die.
    MaryAnneriverflow
  • I really don't know what to think about assisted suicide if the person is terminal but not yet on life-support. I'm against life support and "extraordinary methods" to prolong a life that's slipping away; I'm all for dnr. But from my Hindu learning, suicide may have a karmic risk. That is, one's karma is going to have to be paid one way or another, in some life. Moreover, by not committing suicide, the patient may in some way be helping others accrue merit. I don't know enough yet about the Buddhist pov on it, but I lean towards the Hindu pov.
  • I understand the distinction between DNR and assisted suicide. :) I'm for both, for myself, and in support of others choosing them as well. We should have the right to choose our way of leaving this world...
    I am also against life support and "extraordinary methods" to prolong a life, especially at the time of extreme premature births, and births with overwhelming physical and/or mental disabilities.
    I am not necessarily against life support if there is a strong chance of recovery.

Some of you may know/remember that I was married once, my wife died at age 25(I was 27, 35 now) after a long battle with cancer. There came that time when I was given the decision, do I intubate or allow them to drug her until she dies. Well I knew that even if I intubated she would still die eventually, but I knew her wishes and I knew her families wishes, so I followed them and allowed them to intubate her.

she "lived" another 18 days as the tumors kept getting larger, suffocating her lungs, eventually even modern science could not keep her alive anymore and she died while intubated.

so for me personally, in a case like that, DNR, in a case where maybe I had an accident and I had a 20% or more chance of recovery, then sure intubate me.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I'm not for or against it.

I could go either way (all puns intended)
    EvenThirdPrincely
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    In the Dhammapada, Gautama was alleged to have said, "All fear dying. All fear death." As generalizations go, it's probably a pretty good one. But one of the lessons that practice teaches, I think, is that fearing death is a way of fearing life. Literally. All things 'die' in the usual sense -- evaporate, deteriorate, dissolve, shapeshift, etc. -- so proclaiming life without death is telling only part of life's story. Just because something is common doesn't mean it is accurate.

The social uneasiness with suicide is reflected in Buddhism when it, like other spiritual persuasions, proscribes killing. But practice encourages any serious student to see clearly the ways in which s/he is already a killer... this breath or this mouthful of cereal or this blade of grass might be the very thing that would preserve another life, a life unwittingly taken in whatever moment is considered.

And so -- short version -- I would prefer not to kill but have to acknowledge my participation in killing. And suicide is one form of killing.

But Buddhism also encourages responsibility. Each is responsible, like it or not, for his or her own life. And practice, in one sense, grows students into their own responsibilities. It may be fun or restful to praise this or blame that, but the fun and rest don't last. Why? Because each is responsible and there's no getting out of it. Practice builds the muscles that allow individuals to stop seeing their personal responsibilities as onerous.

And perhaps responsibility offers a better lens for suicide than some others. True, it may rip your heart out, as it has mine, to see a young person commit suicide. Or a beloved person. Or an elderly person. In the state where I live, Massachusetts, there used to be and may still be a law against committing suicide ... which, when you think it through, is ludicrous: What are you going to do -- prosecute a corpse? But the law reflects the social distaste or even horror at the act. But notice that the horror or distaste is generally aimed at someone else's actions ... actions which are their responsibility. The heart may ache and the principles or beliefs may shudder, but still ... whose life is it? Was it foolish or an over-reaction or a piece of selfishness ... still, whose life is it?

I'm not suggesting here that we simply brush off what may be a sense of tragedy or turn a cold shoulder to those in desperate times. I am suggesting that wishing someone well does not need to include blinding the eyes. If suicide is the choice, then suicide was the choice and the best anyone can hope is that the person involved was as responsible as possible when making the choice.

If any of that makes much sense....

• pyramidsongpyramidsong Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I'm for it. I absolutely believe in the right to make that choice for oneself. My great fear is of ending up in a nursing home with dementia or something, unable to make decisions for myself. That's like 40-50 years in the future, so I hope the laws will be different by then. I like the idea of there being a legal course of action for me to pre-plan bypassing that particular kind of horror. I've also told those close to me that if I am in an accident or something where I am likely to end up in a highly compromised state, I want DNR. I honestly don't give the "karmic risk" thing much thought in this situation.

I'm so sorry about your wife, Jayantha.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jayantha said:

I am not necessarily against life support if there is a strong chance of recovery.

And even that has to be taken with a grain of salt. Both my mother and father had massive heart attacks from which they were not expected -- by doctors -- to recover. Additionally, my father had a massive stroke at the same time from which he was expected not to recover. Both were considered to be in the category of possibly surviving, but would be bedridden for the rest of their lives, if they did.

My father recovered fully, with the exception of occasionally forgetting a word and suggesting another to replace it. Lived another 20 years without assistance, traveled, freely associated with old friends, did just fine. My mother had to deal with a heart condition, which was not easy, but she lived another 20 years also, traveled internationally, would often come up and visit me, and lived almost the entire "extra" 20 years without assistance.

Just sayin'.
    Chaz
    Jayantha said:

Some of you may know/remember that I was married once, my wife died at age 25(I was 27, 35 now) after a long battle with cancer. There came that time when I was given the decision, do I intubate or allow them to drug her until she dies. Well I knew that even if I intubated she would still die eventually, but I knew her wishes and I knew her families wishes, so I followed them and allowed them to intubate her.

she "lived" another 18 days as the tumors kept getting larger, suffocating her lungs, eventually even modern science could not keep her alive anymore and she died while intubated.

so for me personally, in a case like that, DNR, in a case where maybe I had an accident and I had a 20% or more chance of recovery, then sure intubate me.

My story is pretty much the same except she didn't live for long after we decided comfort was more a priority than extending her pain. And she was 36. Her breast cancer came back and spread through her lungs, into her bones, ovaries and eventually got into her brain.

I still don't know how guilty I feel as she only kept going because of me. She had said that if it got into her brain, she would jump off a bridge but didn't because of the pain it would cause me. She still smiled in those last days but were they enough to offset the pain she was in?

I don't know.

• TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Definately it is your choice if you want to die and certainly not the government's.
    It should be your choice if you want to die and certainly not the government's.
    Chaz
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    After reflecting upon this topic for some time, I've come to the conclusion that, ultimately, the issue of euthanasia and suicide isn't black or white. On the one hand, they certainly seem to go against the first precept, regardless of the intention behind it; however, the precepts themselves are merely guidelines that are utilized in order to protect oneself, as well as others, from the results of unskillful actions.

There are cases in the Pali Canon where monks have committed suicide — whether due to an incurable illness and unbearable pain, aversion and disgust with the body, etc. — but it's seems that only those who are free from greed, hatred and delusion are entirely blameless in such actions, i.e., there's only fault when one "gives up this body and seizes another" (MN 144). When it comes to our practical day-to-day lives, however, we're not always capable of being as stoic as we may wish to be, and enduring all of the difficult circumstances that life has to throw at us isn't always possible.

But even though I don't see this as a black or white issue, the Buddha himself was pretty adamant about where he stood on these issues, and the willful termination of someone's life, no matter the motivation, isn't something he condoned. If we look at it from the Buddhist perspective, we can see that to kill, to assist in killing or to even speak in favor of killing violates the spirit of the first precept. For example, the Vinitavatthu, which documents various cases related to the major rules in the Vinaya and gives verdicts as to what penalty, if any, they entail, includes two explicit cases, one involving euthanasia and the other involving capital punishment:
    Recommending means of euthanasia. The Vinita-vatthu includes a case of a criminal who has just been punished by having his hands and feet cut off. A bhikkhu asks the man's relatives, "Do you want him to die? Then make him drink buttermilk." The relatives follow the bhikkhu's recommendation, the man dies, and the bhikkhu incurs a parajika.

Recommending means of capital punishment. Again from the Vinita-vatthu: A bhikkhu advises an executioner to kill his victims mercifully with a single blow, rather than torturing them. The executioner follows his advice, and the bhikkhu incurs a parajika. This judgment indicates that a bhikkhu should not involve himself in matters of this sort, no matter how humane his intentions. According to the Vinita-vatthu, if the executioner says that he will not follow the bhikkhu's advice and then kills his victims as he pleases, the bhikkhu incurs no penalty. The Commentary adds that if the executioner tries to follow the bhikkhu's advice and yet needs more than one blow to do the job, the bhikkhu incurs a thullaccaya. As we have mentioned, though, the best course is to leave matters of this sort to the laity. (BMC 1.4)
    However, according to Ajahn Brahmavamso, the Samantapasadika, Buddhaghosa's commentary on the Vinaya, states that there's no offense for a bhikkhu who commits suicide themselves when done for the appropriate reasons, of which two are given:
    A bhikkhu is chronically sick with little sign of recovery and he wishes to end his own life so that he will no longer be a burden on the bhikkhus who are nursing him – in this case suicide is appropriate.

A bhikkhu who is enlightened already becomes gravely ill with a painful disease from which he suspects he will not recover. As the disease is burdensome to him and he has nothing further to do, he thinks to end his life – in this case also suicide is appropriate.
    While these particular rules apply explicitly to monks, the first precept is the same for lay followers, so it's reasonable to assume that all Buddhists should refrain from such actions as much as possible, especially since the weight of such kamma is so heavy.

That being said, the precept itself is only a guideline for our protection, not a commandment that's written in stone, and there's no kind of Buddhist excommunication for breaking it. It's always up to the individual to weigh all the options and their potential consequences before performing any action; and in the end, sometimes our decisions depend more on what we feel than on what we're told is the 'right' or 'moral' thing to do. Moreover, I disagree with the commentarial tradition of Theravada in that I believe (as do most Mahayanists) that it's possible a person can assist another in dying out of compassion or other 'skillful' mental states.

Things like incurable illnesses that cause great amounts of pain can even be unbearable for arahants, let alone the average individual, and it's absurd to expect that everyone should live up to some sort of rigid and idealized standard of morality that's placed upon human existence or exhibit superhuman endurance for the sake of piety. Furthermore, it's my opinion that individuals should have the right to do what they want with their own bodies, regardless of other people's moral values.

In my mind, the ending of one's own life is a personal choice that's the individual's alone to make, and denying a person that choice is equivalent to torture. So, yes, I support assisted dying. When it comes to animals and invalids, however, I think it gets a bit more complicated since we effectively have to kill them in order to end their suffering and they have little choice in the matter.
    EvenThird
  • Short answer without reading thread, yes. I believe if the person who wants to die is capable of making their own decisions in a rational way they should be aloud to do what they want.

I think it was mountains who said that he has known of many occasions in hospitals where practitioners will give a fatal dose to really terminally ill people.
  • I support it for others. For myself I want hospice with no tube feeding. Basically as Hatamsaka says.

But I want to be present in my death as an awareness practice. (easy to say at 36)
  • @Hamsaka,

People like you, who do what you do.... you are the true courageous ones. The true heroes. Your post brought tears to my eyes. I too worked in the medical field, only I was not as courageous or heroic as you. I couldn't deal with the sorrow and grief of the family and friends; being constantly bombarded with (excruciating) emotional turmoil. Palms together in respect Hamsaka.... ((( and a hug, too )))

• I really don't know what to think about assisted suicide if the person is terminal but not yet on life-support. I'm against life support and "extraordinary methods" to prolong a life that's slipping away; I'm all for

dnr. But from my Hindu learning, suicide may have a karmic risk. That is, one's karma is going to have to be paid one way or another, in some life. Moreover, by not committing suicide, the patient may in some way be helping others accrue merit. I don't know enough yet about the Buddhist pov on it, but I lean towards the Hindu pov.

The catholic view is that suicide commits the sin of despair. I don't have a POV but I suspect the point is going to come to a head in America. When everyone is responsible for your healthcare instead of you, it becomes important to have a more relaxed view of just letting others die. I mean, with our capabilities in the medical field we could keep more and more sick people alive for longer and longer. That could get expensive.

When you are paying that's a personal choice. When society is paying that's a social choice. I expect a lot of attention on this over the next couple years. If a person earns 1 million $s in their lifetime and costs 5 million to keep alive for an extra ten years, that is a hardship. If everyone does that, that is a disaster. We will be talking about quality of life years versus cost of care. Letting people die will become the norm and I suspect society will look down on the few greedy rich who want to pay to keep themselves alive at their own expense-because they can-while others can't. Personally I plan a DNR because my life is great but no so important that I want to put others to great expense.

• Dennis1 said:

I really don't know what to think about assisted suicide if the person is terminal but not yet on life-support. I'm against life support and "extraordinary methods" to prolong a life that's slipping away; I'm all for

dnr. But from my Hindu learning, suicide may have a karmic risk. That is, one's karma is going to have to be paid one way or another, in some life. Moreover, by not committing suicide, the patient may in some way be helping others accrue merit. I don't know enough yet about the Buddhist pov on it, but I lean towards the Hindu pov.

The catholic view is that suicide commits the sin of despair. I don't have a POV but I suspect the point is going to come to a head in America. When everyone is responsible for your healthcare instead of you, it becomes important to have a more relaxed view of just letting others die. I mean, with our capabilities in the medical field we could keep more and more sick people alive for longer and longer. That could get expensive.

When you are paying that's a personal choice. When society is paying that's a social choice. I expect a lot of attention on this over the next couple years. If a person earns 1 million $s in their lifetime and costs 5 million to keep alive for an extra ten years, that is a hardship. If everyone does that, that is a disaster. We will be talking about quality of life years versus cost of care. Letting people die will become the norm and I suspect society will look down on the few greedy rich who want to pay to keep themselves alive at their own expense-because they can-while others can't. Personally I plan a DNR because my life is great but no so important that I want to put others to great expense.

But if you can't afford to pay, there is no choice at all.
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited December 2013
    It can't be an easy choice for the individual or his/her family and friends-- and as @MaryAnne says, it shouldn't be a spur of the moment thing. But I support it.

If anyone hasn't seen it, I highly recommend watching The Sea Inside, based on the life (and death) of Ramon Sampedro Camean:

[LINK]
  • Thanks for the link,
    here's more, turn on captions for english subs.

• Robot said: But if you can't afford to pay, there is no choice at all.
    True enough. When you have private care and you are paying the decisions you make often wipe out your estate and leave your heirs with nothing. That is a choice and with private insurance you can pay a higher premium or get catastrophic only insurance and
    leave your heirs less. With socialized medicine the choice is no longer in your hands.
    Funny-with insurance you don't pay so there is less reason to be healthy and live clean. But, on the other hand society might just let you go and there is nothing you can do about it. One thing is for sure: just letting old people die is a lot cheaper and is a good place to look for savings. I'm 66 so I am not being callous. But true is true.
  • Dennis1 said:

Robot said: But if you can't afford to pay, there is no choice at all.
    True enough. When you have private care and you are paying the decisions you make often wipe out your estate and leave your heirs with nothing. That is a choice and with private insurance you can pay a higher premium or get catastrophic only insurance and
    leave your heirs less. With socialized medicine the choice is no longer in your hands.
    Funny-with insurance you don't pay so there is less reason to be healthy and live clean. But, on the other hand society might just let you go and there is nothing you can do about it. One thing is for sure: just letting old people die is a lot cheaper and is a good place to look for savings. I'm 66 so I am not being callous. But true is true.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "with socialized medicine the choice is no longer in your hands". Maybe you could clarify your point.
    You see we have socialized medicine here in Canada. Of course that does not mean it is free. I pay a monthly premium. And it certainly isn't the best. Wait times are ridiculous.
    But I buried both parents under this system, so I'm wondering how your statement relates to my experience. Actually I should say that we put them down under this system, because that's how it seemed to me at the time.
    Thanks.
    riverflow
    robot said:

Dennis1 said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "with socialized medicine the choice is no longer in your hands". Maybe you could clarify your point.
    You see we have socialized medicine here in Canada. Of course that does not mean it is free. I pay a monthly premium. And it certainly isn't the best. Wait times are ridiculous.
    But I buried both parents under this system, so I'm wondering how your statement relates to my experience. Actually I should say that we put them down under this system, because that's how it seemed to me at the time.
    Thanks.
    TANSTAAFL

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. "free" medicine is paid by someone somewhere and in my travels abroad in the last 10 years I've heard many stories like @robots from various countries. No system is perfect, but I'd much rather have more freedom in the hands of doctors and myself, then from government bureaucrats.
  • Jayantha said:

robot said:

Dennis1 said:

Thanks.
    TANSTAAFL

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. "free" medicine is paid by someone somewhere and in my travels abroad in the last 10 years I've heard many stories like @robots from various countries. No system is perfect, but I'd much rather have more freedom in the hands of doctors and myself, then from government bureaucrats.
    I have never had to deal with any bureaucrats in any dealings I've had with the medical system over here.
    We pick our own doctors. Although part of the problem with the wait times is a lack of specialists and equipment, which is probably due to budgetary constraints that you don't get in a private system. So in reality for most people choosing a specialist isn't possible.
    When our daughter was born the luck of the draw had it that there was a real asshole of an obstetrician on duty. It was his way or the highway. I'm not sure what we could have done to have some control over that situation.
    There was no bureaucratic interference in the care of my parents at the end. There was some talk about how we would go about putting them down with drugs, due to certain laws we have about euthanasia.
    But that was discussed quite openly with the doctors.

riverflow
    robot said:

Jayantha said:

robot said:

Dennis1 said:

Thanks.
    TANSTAAFL

I have never had to deal with any bureaucrats in any dealings I've had with the medical system over here.
    We pick our own doctors. Although part of the problem with the wait times is a lack of specialists and equipment, which is probably due to budgetary constraints that you don't get in a private system. So in reality for most people choosing a specialist isn't possible.
    When our daughter was born the luck of the draw had it that there was a real asshole of an obstetrician on duty. It was his way or the highway. I'm not sure what we could have done to have some control over that situation.
    There was no bureaucratic interference in the care of my parents at the end. There was some talk about how we would go about putting them down with drugs, due to certain laws we have about euthanasia.
    But that was discussed quite openly with the doctors.

from what I've heard in America we actually have a ton of specialists, but a real lack of general practitioners and a lot less people going into the field then use to. With a rising population that's definitely not a good thing. Maybe we can send you some of our specialists and you send over some GPs haha.
  • Jayantha said:

No system is perfect, but I'd much rather have more freedom in the hands of doctors and myself, then from government bureaucrats.

Because we all know that corporations don't have their own bureaucrats, right? As someone who works in the admissions department in a hospital, private insurance is often an obstacle standing between doctors and their patients with having to obtain pre-certs, allowed to see only certain doctors, not to mention finding an excuse to deny a claim on any detail they can use. IF there are any reasons to support private health coverage, this isn't one of them.
    vinlyn
    edited December 2013
    riverflow said:

Jayantha said:

No system is perfect, but I'd much rather have more freedom in the hands of doctors and myself, then from government bureaucrats.

Because we all know that corporations don't have their own bureaucrats, right? As someone who works in the admissions department in a hospital, private insurance is often an obstacle standing between doctors and their patients with having to obtain pre-certs, allowed to see only certain doctors, not to mention finding an excuse to deny a claim on any detail they can use. IF there are any reasons to support private health coverage, this isn't one of them.
    I'm not sure any of that will change under socialized medicine.. well they may not deny your claim, you just may be #1000 on the list and die before it comes, same outcome. going back to my original quote, no system is perfect or utopian(and lets do this to have insurance for everyone is the height of utopia), but i'd much rather have more freedom of choice. and worst comes to worse, a government could govern corporations(when the two lovers aren't in bed together anyways), who governs the government?

since I don't want this to turn political, I'll let you respond then I won't respond back. I try to stay way from politics on this forum but it's hard for humans to give up views , I guess if we were all advanced dhamma practitioners we wouldn't even be on a forum to express views haha.
    I just read an article a few days ago on the concern in my state about how there won't be enough dentists to handle the number of patients that will be coming under new insurance plans. And so we have some people saying -- see what Obamacare is doing.

Translation: I don't want people who have never been able to afford dental care to now be able to afford it and be able to have it, since it may inconvenience me.

If that ain't being selfish, I don't know what is.
    riverflowJeffreyrobotMaryAnne
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Sometimes, allowing someone who is suffering greatly to pass on is one of the highest acts of compassion one can do.

So, yes, when it is needed, I support assisted dying.
    MaryAnneriverflow