Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Image of the Buddha, a pendant

JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
edited December 2013 in Buddhism Basics
Probably an inconsequential question, but I am curious. I have a pendant of a standing Buddha. His left arm is extended down, his right hand is placed over the center of the chest, not unlike this photo, except the hand is broken off in the photo. Is the pendant I have Shakyamuni Buddha, and is the right hand position correct, or did someone goof when they made it? I know there are different mudras signifying different things.

Comments

• MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Could this be it?

"The Abhaya mudrā ("mudrā of no-fear") represents protection, peace, benevolence, and dispelling of fear. In the Theravāda, it is usually made with the right hand raised to shoulder height, the arm bent and the palm facing outward with the fingers upright and joined and the left hand hanging down while standing."

Oh wait... the pendant has the right hand over the chest area? Hmmm, let me see.....
  • No @MaryAnne, it's not the abhaya mudra. I have a small bronze Amoghasiddhi who has the abhaya mudra.
  • yeah, I can't find anything with the hand over the chest AND the other hand extended down. :: shrugs:::
  • D'oh! It is the abhaya mudrā! I just looked at it closer. The right hand is not cupped, but palm outward in front of the chest. I need to get new glasses. :lol: Thanks for activating my brain. :D
    MaryAnne