Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nelson Mandela has died .....

ChazChaz The Remarkable ChazAnywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
OM AMI DEWA HRIH
riverflow

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    well.. that is what happens when you get old :)

The Buddha's 5 remembrances.

I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.

I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.

I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.

I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.

I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.[2]
    ChazVastmindThailandTomDavid
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Jayantha said:

well.. that is what happens when you get old :)

The Buddha's 5 remembrances.

I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.

I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.

I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.

I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.

I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.[2]

That's awesome! Where is that from - I've never seen it.
  • :bawl:
    riverflow
    Jayantha said:

well.. that is what happens when you get old

Yep. Birth, Old Age, Sickness and Death.

Truth be told, they had been keeping him alive for months. I suspect this was a blessing.

Vastmindrobotriverflow
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    ChazVastmindriverflow
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I was more choked up than I expected to be, considering that he is a foreign leader from halfway around the world. A truly great man, and so forgiving and spiritual.
    ChazrobotriverflowHamsaka
    One of the real sucky things about getting old is that you get to watch the icons of your youth drop off one-by-one. Mandela has been an icon for me since I was in high school (long time ago). Even though it's the way of things, the death of someone like Nelson Mandela affects us all, becuase in his life he affected us all ....
    JeffreyriverflowHamsaka
    vinlyn said:

I was more choked up than I expected to be, considering that he is a foreign leader from halfway around the world. A truly great man, and so forgiving and spiritual.

anyone who advocates for non-violent resistance is tops in my book.

and @chaz: the 5 remembrances were one of the first things I found when i got into the suttas that connected with me, I try to remember these regularly -

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.057.than.html

AN 5.57
    PTS: A iii 71
    Upajjhatthana Sutta: Subjects for Contemplation

"There are these five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained. Which five?

"'I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.' This is the first fact that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

"'I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.' ...

"'I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.' ...

"'I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.' ...

"'I am the owner of my actions,[1] heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.' ...

"These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.
    robotChazDavidHamsaka
  • At least he isn't suffering anymore, a true inspiration :)
    robotriverflowlobster
  • All together now…

(To the tune of "Free Nelson Mandela") R-I-Pee-ee Nelson Mandela…. :rocker:

I'm sure his last five years were cheered by being removed from the US Terrorist Watch List.
    riverflow
    edited December 2013
    poptart said:

All together now…

(To the tune of "Free Nelson Mandela") R-I-Pee-ee Nelson Mandela…. :rocker:

I'm sure his last five years were cheered by being removed from the US Terrorist Watch List.

as a registered Libertarian(and gun owner), I am on the watch list with a million or more Americans ;). We all enjoyed that. If this government ever became completely and blatantly lacking of freedom(which is where its heading, probably not till i'm much older though) and I'm still a lay person I'd have to rise up against it with my awesome Libertarian non-violent terrorism :P.
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    edited December 2013
    What earthly sweetness remains unmixed with grief? What glory stands immutable on the earth? All things are but feeble shadows, all things are most deluding dreams, yet one moment only, and death shall supplant them all. But in the light of Thy countenance, O Christ, and in the sweetness of Thy beauty, give rest to him whom Thou hast chosen, for as much as Thou lovest mankind.

Memory eternal!
    lobster
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2013
    You may be interested in this. It is the 1994 ballot paper, the first multi-racial free election that ushered in the Rainbow Nation. You will see that Incatha had to be added last as they held back until after the paper was printed.
    Chaz
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    The world has lost another great revolutionary who fought against the evils of colonialism and racial oppression. A sad day, but the legacy of his achievements will live on.
    Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2013
    "He was, indeed, the outstanding statesman of Africa’s history, who laid a foundation of respect for human rights and individual liberties, the rule of law, and love of nation in the governance of South Africa. That will be his lasting contribution to the future of his country and, indeed, of the entire African continent.........

When I think of Nelson Mandela, I think of the values that a leader must have: compassion, conviction, integrity, sincerity, generosity, loyalty, dignity and humility. Those are values that are earned from one’s actions and not just one’s words. Mandela held with remarkable consistency a very high ethical standard of behaving in line with these values......

Mandela, above all, will be remembered as the chief architect of the smooth transformation of South Africa from apartheid to democracy. The greatest tribute we fellow Africans can pay him, therefore, is to use him as an inspiration for the necessary transformation of our societies to enhance the dignity and prosperity of every individual African, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, age or class. If Mandela made the integration of a divided South Africa a reality, we can only pay tribute to him by making the unity of Africa a reality, also."

--- Nana Akufo-Addo
    http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=294386
    Jeffrey
    edited December 2013
    Any one watch the state funeral today?

It was touching....To see everyone dancing and
    chanting together and really celebrating how one
    man brought so many people together and sacrificed
    alot ..... What? about 100 world leaders
    there??....it was really nice to see :)

It was raining though.....

riverflow
  • Vastmind said:

It was raining though.....

According to local belief that is a blessing.
    Dance on.

Nelson Mandala - F R E E :clap:
    ChazVastmindriverflow
    Yeah...I've heard that before. I just say that bec it made it harder for
    some to travel and kept more from attending the party :D

Ok..you guys KNOW I have to follow up with this one...hahaha

The 'uproar' is about the deaf interpreter that was there for
    the state funeral....and as some of you may remember...I know
    ASL.... :D ...my sister is deaf...blah...blah....anyway.....

I mentioned to hubby that night.......that I didn't understand
    that guy. Not even.....the in between words...he just skipped
    those...but none of the facial expressions...which is the
    'accent' to sign language...hahaha...anyway...here is a story....
    I hate this happened at the party....but I'm soooooo glad the
    Deaf community made it known......I think Mandela would have
    stood for it :rockon:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/11/21860157-fake-sign-language-interpreter-at-nelson-mandela-memorial-provokes-anger?lite

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    What is really sad is that he was brought in at short notice, couldn't translate the english sufficiently and was a schizophrenic. I applaud him for his honesty on british national radio.

The guys who were paid a fortune are no longer to be found.

Mettha to him.
    Vastmind
    Look deeper than this please @vastmind - there are always 2 sides to a story - berate the political selfy's first rather than this poor man -I pray he sleeps soundly tonight because I guarantee he is racked with guilt!
    edited December 2013
    Oh the story is only beginning.....This was just my response to it, right now..
    hahaha.

I did read about that today...but wasn't sure what version to
    post.....there is probably about 16 sides to it, hahaha...
    anyway...just major world events...make sure the person speaking
    is speaking a language that someone understands. It's not
    personal...I dont think it happened because of his mental health...

anataman
    The report I heard today was that while he was translating he was seeing visions of angels.

They are questioning why a schizophrenic had such access to international leaders.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Vastmind said:

I know
    ASL....
    :D ...my sister is deaf...blah...blah....anyway.....

I mentioned to hubby that night.......that I didn't understand
    that guy. Not even.....the in between words...he just skipped
    those...but none of the facial expressions...which is the
    'accent' to sign language...hahaha...anyway...here is a story....
    I hate this happened at the party....but I'm soooooo glad the
    Deaf community made it known......I think Mandela would have
    stood for it :rockon:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/11/21860157-fake-sign-language-interpreter-at-nelson-mandela-memorial-provokes-anger?lite

One thing to remember is that ASL is just American Sign Language. Other countries have their own sign languages, which are not not mutually intelligible. Here is a long list of them. In fact, even across the pond, the British have their own (not surprisingly, called British Sign Language, or BSL). ASL is used sometimes outside of the U.S.A., including in South Africa, but for official functions, they use their own South African Sign Language (SASL). However, people who know SASL have confirmed that what he was signing wasn't SASL.

I feel compassion for the poor guy, but I can't help but find it funny. I think most of us have moments in our lives where we simply have to bullshit our way through a situation we are completely unprepared for. Obviously, someone vetted for them man and there was apparently a company who hired him (which has since disappeared), so he shouldn't have even made it so far, but if he says he was having a schizophrenic episode, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Vastmind
    edited December 2013
    I feel for him if he was going through something....My initial response
    was the wave of the communication in the deaf community...so we just
    found out part two today...it continues...

I'm sure he is going to go through alot after being in such
    a public situation. MAy I feel more compassion for him.
    May he be well. May his life be filled with happy moments and support
    from those that love him. :)

The buck stops with the planners, IMO.
    The coordinators.
    anatamanriverflow
    Hopefully, the deaf community will become aware of his predicament and see that judgements make false allies...
  • This is really, really strange, the thing with the fake signer. The guy must be delusional enough to believe he really is signing, or he wouldn't be on world wide television. All he has to do, to prove he really knows his stuff is be interviewed and do some signing after he's taken his medication. Now it appears the company he works for has disappeared.
    Vastmind
    edited December 2013
    I'm not speaking for his mental health condition....

I'm only saying at this point, I think he fooled a lot of people that he knew
    sign, when he didn't. He got hired for the low-low price, and was a
    'friend' of someone..that's just what I think of it. I won't paste a story...
    I'm sure everyone has seen it.
    For the record...I do want to say that I'm glad
    this has brought awareness of how these details matter to people who
    need them. Even within my own job place for a long time we hired deaf
    employees, but the interpreters were crappy. Half ass to say the least.
    I'm not certified...but would end up re-telling or getting recruited to
    do some of the meetings.....Forward to now...lately...I'll say about the last
    2 years, they are finally bringing in the certified people and paying them
    the money. It has been nice to see them take it seriously....and the
    employees get their rights recognized.
    We have also had 2 lunch and learns that included work related signs
    being taught to other employees who work in the area with the hearing
    impaired.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Jayantha said:

This was his initial stance.
    He wasn't as constantly angelic as some make him out to be.
    Mandela was jailed for terrorist offences. Non-Violence took a back seat.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/10/21846245-leader-savior-terrorist-how-white-south-africans-remember-nelson-mandela?lite

Sure, the eventual result was breathtaking, but it took a while, and I actually question whether Africa is indeed better off, with the likes of Mugabe exerting their despotic grip, and charitable funds donated by the well-meaning public, being invested in companies which produce weapons and arms for the 'trade' of war....
    Vastmind
    I don't think it is fair to hold South Africa responsible for what Mugabe is doing in Zimbabwe.
    Vastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I never said it was. I'm merely suggesting the benefits are not as glaringly evident as one might hope.
    Africa is a mess. Overall, I would say it's condition is an embarrassment. But ending apartheid in South Africa is one shining gem.
    in a crown of sludge.
    And if it's an emerald, we all know how they're mined.
    edited December 2013
    He did the most he could with what he had, that's for sure.

Just like here in the US...the government problems in Africa
    are social changes and standards that need to be addressed.
    Whether it be corruption, sexism, racism, war.....all the things
    that can either have a negative or positive effect on someone's life
    span.

Don't get me started on gay rights! Africa is in last place on
    that one! Socially speaking....and lawfully speaking, as well.
    Sorry...off topic. Guilty.
  • Mandela was jailed for terrorist offences.
    In itself that proves nothing IMO, many people (especially in corrupt regimes) got (and get) jailed on some pretense.
    robotVastmindvinlyn
    federica said:

Jayantha said:

This was his initial stance.
    He wasn't as constantly angelic as some make him out to be.
    Mandela was jailed for terrorist offences. Non-Violence took a back seat.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/10/21846245-leader-savior-terrorist-how-white-south-africans-remember-nelson-mandela?lite

Sure, the eventual result was breathtaking, but it took a while, and I actually question whether Africa is indeed better off, with the likes of Mugabe exerting their despotic grip, and charitable funds donated by the well-meaning public, being invested in companies which produce weapons and arms for the 'trade' of war....
    I agree 100%, he was a terrorist and advocated violence, the group he was associated with was likewise.

he can certainly NOT come close to being on the same level as Ghandi and MLK, who both knew that non-violence is not a tactic, its a way of life, but at least he changed his tune later and also fostered an atmosphere of forgiveness.

Do I feel that any person deserves the deification he has received over the last 20 years? probably not.
    On a personal level...I do not and have never advocated violence. For
    any reason! That being said...this thread needs some laughs, hahaha.
    Here in the US, we have a comedy show called SNL, and this was there
    spoof on President Obama at the funeral and the interpreter. ...lolol
    Disclaimer: I'm posting CNN's coverage of the spoof, bec that's
    where I could find the clip without copy issues....They play it after
    the chit chat...

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/offbeat/2013/12/15/newday-sot-snl-obama-mandela-fake-signer.cnn&hpt=hp_c3&from_homepage=yes&video_referrer=http://www.cnn.com/#/video/offbeat/2013/12/15/newday-sot-snl-obama-mandela-fake-signer.cnn

Change does not happen overnight. Causes and conditions need to be right to bear juicy fruit. In NB's time, the fruit ripened from one perspective and apartheid's death was the jubilant event. Now we have to face the fact that the people who struggled to get equal rights have to deal with the Karma of their deeds.
    anataman said:

Change does not happen overnight. Causes and conditions need to be right to bear juicy fruit. In NB's time, the fruit ripened from one perspective and apartheid's death was the jubilant event. Now we have to face the fact that the people who struggled to get equal rights have to deal with the Karma of their deeds.

Interesting POV.

We don't have to 'face' anything. They do.... but I don't know how likely it will be that they consider such matters. All we can do is wait for any consequence which may touch our lives, either strongly or subtly, and deal with that.....
  • he can certainly NOT come close to being on the same level as Ghandi and MLK, who both knew that non-violence is not a tactic, its a way of life, but at least he changed his tune later and also fostered an atmosphere of forgiveness.
    As I understand it, Ghandi never ruled out the use of violence, but he was wise enough to see that violence is destructive and almost never the answer. He opposed the British through non-violence because he trusted that there was enough decency in them to be persuaded by non-violence (and he understood that non-violence can be a powerful force).

maarten said:

he can certainly NOT come close to being on the same level as Ghandi and MLK, who both knew that non-violence is not a tactic, its a way of life, but at least he changed his tune later and also fostered an atmosphere of forgiveness.
    As I understand it, Ghandi never ruled out the use of violence, but he was wise enough to see that violence is destructive and almost never the answer. He opposed the British through non-violence because he trusted that there was enough decency in them to be persuaded by non-violence (and he understood that non-violence can be a powerful force).

Ghandi did say stuff like if you cannot use non-violence, it's better to use violence then to pretend to be an advocate of non-violence but do otherwise. Ghandi knew that for non-violence to work the people had to embrace it as a way of life and stick by the ideals, even unto their deaths. I've been reading a bunch of books about Ghandi lately and it's been an amazing experience. He however NEVER advocated anything but non-violence in the endeavors in both South Africa and India, and even went on hunger strikes to near death if people broke the rules.

he believed that non-violence would always prevail in the end, even if used against someone like hitler, however he also admitted that it would take many more lives to work.