Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Sound of Music tonight

For some in the broadcasting range the Sound of Music musical is live on TV with Carrie Underwood as Maria. :) It's on at 8 pm, eastern standard time.

Comments

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    ....and I am SO going to skip it. I had enough of Sound of Music during the first run with Julie Andrews. I know this will be different, but I don't care.
    vinlyn
  • I have never seen it actually.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    lol @Chaz
    @Jeffrey I watched it many times when I was little, I loved it!
    Hope you enjoy :)
  • Thanks. I really did enjoy. My friend thought it was dissapointing a bit because she was remembering as a child seeing it and dancing all the dances when she was five years old. I thought it was sweet and then at the end the nazis came and there was a juxtoposition of corny 60s musical and sobering disaster to the family.

But the music was good. The leader of the nuns was a great character and well done.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Eh, I heard mixed things about it.

Some said it was great; others said it sucked hard.

I didn't see it, so I can't really critique it.
  • My friend who adores it was disappointed because she loved the original.

I had never seen it if you can believe that. I found it entertaining though the Nazis coming was a sobering reality versus the rest of it which was just kind of cute. I liked Maria though she was kind of sugary. I also liked the head of the nuns. The commander or whatever (father) did a good job of being a stuffy disciplinarian.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Keep in mind it is pretty much a true story.
  • Yeah, that's what my friend told me. Didn't seem to real to me some parts.
    Makes me want to break into song .......

(BIG lead-in)

The hills are alive
    With the Viet Cong.........
    In actually caught about 10 minutes before I nodded off last night. Wife had it on in the bedroom.

I thought Underwood's acting was rather uninspired. Her singing wasn't too bad, but her acting was a distraction. Sleep was a blessing.
  • vinlyn said:
    Sent the link on to my friend who ADORES music and tSoM
  • Climb ev'ry mountain, ford every stream!
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    vinlyn said:

My family and I stayed at the inn they made in Vermont when they came to America. I still have some of the souvenirs. This is a movie I remember fondly watching with my mother. I had no desire to see this tv version though.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jayantha said:

vinlyn said:

My family and I stayed at the inn they made in Vermont when they came to America. I still have some of the souvenirs. This is a movie I remember fondly watching with my mother. I had no desire to see this tv version though.
    I felt the same. There are reasons to remake some films, but I can't really see where a television version remake of this classic was wise. It would be like remaking "Casablanca" or "Gone With The Wind". Pointless.

riverflow
  • This was a live stage play not a film. Therefore, opening night jitters can be blamed for most flaws. If the participants could do it over and over , night after night , as it had been done for the original stage play on Broadway, it would have gotten better. That said , I did not like the lead actors too much.
    On the other hand, there must be a lot of practice footage to combine with the live performance to make a decent "live " film version.
    I did not watch it all , but I found much of the sound quality to be sketchy. This was a disappointment as the voices of the actors is everything here. I can only imagine the difficulties involved in such an undertaking.
    I heard the soundstage was the size of a football pitch and actors had to ride in golf carts while changing for next scene.
    I salute the effort.
  • I enjoyed it for what it is, but like many of my generation I so fell in love with the Julie Andrews musical that it was like listening to a singer do a cover of a famous number one charted song. Just not the same thing.

On a side note I recently found the original book, the story of the Trapp family that inspired the movie. Also disappointing, because the author didn't know how to write a compelling story. You could see the adventure struggling to get out of the story.