Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How does one help sentient beings to attain enlightenment?

I'm having a hard time putting this into words today, so I'm going to quote from that bastion of infinite knowledge, Wikipedia.
Bodhicitta is a compassion for all beings, accompanied by a falling away of the attachment to the illusion of an inherently-existing self.

This spark of compassion motivates one to achieve omniscient Buddhahood as quickly as possible, so that one may benefit infinite sentient beings. Bodhicitta is a felt need to replace others' suffering with bliss. Since the ultimate end of suffering is moksha, bodhicitta necessarily involves a motivation to help others to awaken (to find bodhi).

One for whom bodhicitta is the prime motivation for all actions is called a bodhisattva.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhicitta#Spontaneity
So just how does one help other sentient beings? How do the bodhisattvas and buddhas help us? :scratch: Is it as described in this section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva#Bodhisattva_ideal
Mahāyāna Buddhism encourages everyone to become bodhisattvas and to take the bodhisattva vows. With these vows, one makes the promise to work for the complete enlightenment of all sentient beings by practicing the six perfections.[16] Indelibly entwined with the bodhisattva vow is merit transference (pariṇāmanā).
I may be answering my own question, but are we saying that a bodhisattva practices the Six Perfections absolutely perfectly, and strives to accrue merit in order to give it to others? If so, then this is the basis of our practice:

Ananda asked: Would it be true to say that the cultivation of loving kindness and compassion is a part of our practice?"

The Buddha replied: "No. It would not be true to say that the cultivation of loving kindness and compassion is part of our practice. It would be true to say that the cultivation of loving kindness and compassion is all of our practice."
anatamanCinorjercvalue

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Where is that final quote from please. Id like to know because its very similar to the sutta about friendship, and metta these days is now translated as "loving/ boundless friendliness" instead kindness. Im wondering if its the same sutta translated differently. The meaning is definitly changed if so.
  • @Jayantha, I'm going to look for the source. I found it somewhere and copied it into a Word doc to keep.

Looking... brb...

I originally found it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compassion#Buddhism but I come to find it plastered all over the internet, propagated word for word, with no source cited. I fear you are right that it is translated differently and therefore changed in meaning. It's a nice sentiment, but unfortunately it adds to the corpus of misquotes attributed to the Buddha and others in history. :(
    SN 45.2 PTS: S v 2 CDB ii 1524Upaddha Sutta: Half (of the Holy Life)http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn45/sn45.002.than.html
    @Jayantha, I'm going to look for the source. I found it somewhere and copied it into a Word doc to keep.

Looking... brb...

I originally found it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compassion#Buddhism but I come to find it plastered all over the internet, propagated word for word, with no source cited. I fear you are right that it is translated differently and therefore changed in meaning. It's a nice sentiment, but unfortunately it adds to the corpus of misquotes attributed to the Buddha and others in history. :(
    Oh dont get me wrong, i actually love this translation and it fits with the teachings in general.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn45/sn45.002.than.html

SN 45.2 PTS: S v 2 CDB ii 1524Upaddha Sutta: Half (of the Holy Life)

I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was living among the Sakyans. Now there is a Sakyan town named Sakkara. There Ven. Ananda went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to the Blessed One, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, Ven. Ananda said to the Blessed One, "This is half of the holy life, lord: admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie."

[1]"Don't say that, Ananda. Don't say that. Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life. When a monk has admirable people as friends, companions, & comrades, he can be expected to develop & pursue the noble eightfold path."And how does a monk who has admirable people as friends, companions, & comrades, develop & pursue the noble eightfold path? There is the case where a monk develops right view dependent on seclusion, dependent on dispassion, dependent on cessation, resulting in relinquishment. He develops right resolve... right speech... right action... right livelihood... right effort... right mindfulness... right concentration dependent on seclusion, dependent on dispassion, dependent on cessation, resulting in relinquishment.

This is how a monk who has admirable people as friends, companions, & colleagues, develops & pursues the noble eightfold path."And through this line of reasoning one may know how admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life: It is in dependence on me as an admirable friend that beings subject to birth have gained release from birth, that beings subject to aging have gained release from aging, that beings subject to death have gained release from death, that beings subject to sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair have gained release from sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair.

It is through this line of reasoning that one may know how admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life."
    EvenThird
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    In my reading, I'm just watching the flashy colors go by, so this isn't a definitive answer.

So far, I see two uses of this concept: intensely wishing everyone well now and working on becoming enlightened, so that in 50 years, 100 lifetimes or a million kalpas you will be capable of helping other reach enlightenment. I don't agree with this standpoint, so it colors my description of it. People who seem to espouse this position also de-emphasize good works because building a school, feeding the poor, building houses to house the indigent, etc isn't doing anything to enlighten them (you're just prolonging & exacerbating samsara-- aren't houses, food, computers for educational purposes in public schools and so on-- aren't they fetters?) & since you aren't enlightened yet you're doing wrong-- an enlightened person would do something different, the Boddhisatvas seem to be superman-like powerful. Amida seems to be able to get people out of samsara effortlessly, where as our good deeds are pale in comparison. You can be an intensely nice person and not raise a finger to reduce the misery of samsara for those around you.

And the other use of bodhicitta is to do good works & meritorious deeds for the benefit of others (including feeding hungry people--not just monks--, building houses and , or more narrowly, maybe just helping others become enlightened by demonstrating the efficacy of the Buddhist path and helping them get on that path-- maybe by donating cushions to prison outreach programs). I'm a stick in the mud and like this version of Bodhicitta. Wikipedia seems to think that this good-works form of Buddhism is typical of Chinese Buddhism: ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merit_(Buddhism)#Merit-making
    Jainarayan
  • Jayantha said:

SN 45.2 PTS: S v 2 CDB ii 1524Upaddha Sutta: Half (of the Holy Life)http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn45/sn45.002.than.html

@Jayantha, I'm going to look for the source. I found it somewhere and copied it into a Word doc to keep.

Looking... brb...

Oh dont get me wrong, i actually love this translation and it fits with the teachings in general.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn45/sn45.002.than.html

SN 45.2 PTS: S v 2 CDB ii 1524Upaddha Sutta: Half (of the Holy Life)

Ah yes, I have seen that. I like that site. It never occurred to me that the quote I used might have been taken from that. Thanks for sharing it.
  • In my reading, I'm just watching the flashy colors go by, so this isn't a definitive answer.

So far, I see two uses of this concept: intensely wishing everyone well now and working on becoming enlightened, so that in 50 years, 100 lifetimes or a million kalpas you will be capable of helping other reach enlightenment. I don't agree with this standpoint, so it colors my description of it. People who seem to espouse this position also de-emphasize good works because building a school, feeding the poor, building houses to house the indigent, etc isn't doing anything to enlighten them (you're just prolonging & exacerbating samsara-- aren't houses, food, computers for educational purposes in public schools and so on-- aren't they fetters?) & since you aren't enlightened yet you're doing wrong-- an enlightened person would do something different, the Boddhisatvas seem to be superman-like powerful. Amida seems to be able to get people out of samsara effortlessly, where as our good deeds are pale in comparison. You can be an intensely nice person and not raise a finger to reduce the misery of samsara for those around you.

And the other use of bodhicitta is to do good works & meritorious deeds for the benefit of others (including feeding hungry people--not just monks--, building houses and , or more narrowly, maybe just helping others become enlightened by demonstrating the efficacy of the Buddhist path and helping them get on that path-- maybe by donating cushions to prison outreach programs). I'm a stick in the mud and like this version of Bodhicitta. Wikipedia seems to think that this good-works form of Buddhism is typical of Chinese Buddhism: ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merit_(Buddhism)#Merit-making

I'm all for good works too. I think withdrawing from the world, so to speak, violates the Middle Way. In fact, by not mentioning good works in my first post, I take it for granted that good works are definitely part of our practice in this world.

matthewmartinDennis1
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran

The Buddha replied: "No. It would not be true to say that the cultivation of loving kindness and compassion is part of our practice. It would be true to say that the cultivation of loving kindness and compassion is all of our practice."

This reminds me of the Japanese, so-called single practice schools, of Shin, Zen and Nichiren, with nembutsu changing, meditation and and reciting the title of the lotus sutra as their single practices.

This sounds like rhetorical hyperbola. (All I ever eat nowadays is rice, rice and rice== I eat more rice than I'd like, although I eat other things, too.) cf, "Well, ananda, there are 43 important things to practice, among them compassion, and...and..and.."-- just isn't as quotable.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    To my mind, there is a lot to be said for the suggestion, "It can't be helped."
    Zero
  • I think some of the point is to work on yourself and your mind. If you do that then you can help others more easily.
    Jainarayanpoptartlobster
    To go along with the last few posts...
    JeffreypoptartJainarayan
  • Jeffrey said:

I think some of the point is to work on yourself and your mind. If you do that then you can help others more easily.

Logical, flawlessly logical. Thanks. :)

• The Buddha replied: "No. It would not be true to say that the cultivation of loving
    kindness and compassion is part of our practice. It would be true to say that the cultivation of loving kindness and compassion is all of our practice."

This reminds me of the Japanese, so-called single practice schools, of Shin, Zen and Nichiren, with nembutsu changing, meditation and and reciting the title of the lotus sutra as their single practices.

This sounds like rhetorical hyperbola. (All I ever eat nowadays is rice, rice and rice== I eat more rice than I'd like, although I eat other things, too.) cf, "Well, ananda, there are
    43 important things to practice, among them compassion, and...and..and.."-- just isn't

I would suggest a diet of Shantideva. With great care he outlines that indeed loving kindness and compassion is all of the practice. The Bodhicharyavatara is the text.
    A failure to understand is often the promulgator of disagreement. Of course we would like to accomplish other things but the practice is indeed loving kindness and compassion-all of it. Other practices may bring us to a point where we can appreciate this. They are required, perhaps, because we are bewildered and ignorant of our true nature. Sazen is great and will bring enlightenment but it is just for preparing to practice. ditto ditto ditto so we can be there to practice.

• I'm having a hard time putting this into words today, so I'm going to quote from that bastion of infinite knowledge, Wikipedia.

Bodhicitta is a compassion for all beings, accompanied by a falling away of the attachment to the illusion of an inherently-existing self.

This spark of compassion motivates one to achieve omniscient Buddhahood as quickly as possible, so that one may benefit infinite sentient beings. Bodhichitta is a felt need to replace others' suffering with bliss. Since the ultimate end of suffering is moksha, bodhicitta necessarily involves a motivation to help others to awaken (to find bodhi).

One for whom bodhicitta is the prime motivation for all actions is called a bodhisattva.
    ---
    Just so Jain. To become a Buddha in this lifetime in order to help end the suffering of others-that is the practice. Putting Buddha-hood off for 3 eons seems like a cop out to me. If the practice is for self then the practice is empty of virtue for the self is empty of
    inherent existence. What do practioners working to save self from hell, think that means?

Emptiness means there is no such thing. That is delusion. That is delusion born of the three inter-related aspects of ignorance. That is bewilderment. We are just a window the unity of being uses, to view the world. If you say emptiness is this and that lacks inherent existence and then you practice in order to avoid the hell realms, or hungry ghost...in some next incarnation of self, then that is just a failure to realize what emptiness means. You certainly won't accomplish Buddha-hood this lifetime with that idea.

Please, aspire a little higher and make loving kindness and compassion all of your practice. Awaken, the self is empty of existence at the essence. The essence is empty-is there something else going on in the Buddha's teachings? I don't think so. He says what he means. Why deludedly make it into something else?
    Hamsaka
  • How does one help sentient beings to attain enlightenment?
    Headless chicken and fluffy bunny wanted to be helpful. The headless chicken ran around trying to help. Sadly his head had been chopped off and he soon fell down dead and became soup. Fluffy bunny tried to help everyone. Mr fox was helped to rabbit soup.

Common humanity is to a lesser or greater extent part of our understanding and capacity. In the spiritual realm we have to provide a degree of compassion for the sentient we know the most. Us.

Eventually the path, goal and means of travel become apparent. So we can provide inspiration, raft building skills, good companionship, skilful means etc.

Premature help is like joining the headless chickens and fluffy bunnies. Experts on where to go and how to get . . . boiled.

and now back to the soup . . .
    :p
    HamsakaDennis1
  • Dennis1 said:

...Putting Buddha-hood off for 3 eons seems like a cop out to me. If the practice is for self then the practice is empty of virtue for the self is empty of
    inherent existence.
    What do practioners working to save self from hell, think that means?

That makes a lot of sense. It seems to me, but I could be wrong, that practitioners are most interested in enlightenment for themselves... self-interest. I don't want that. There's a verse from the Srimad Bhagavatam 9.21.12 that I like, and though it makes references to God, the idea is to help other beings:

"I do not pray to the Supreme Lord for the eight perfections of mystic yoga, nor for salvation from repeated birth and death. I want only to stay among all the living entities and suffer all distresses on their behalf, so that they may be freed from suffering."

Dennis1
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    In Buddhism as I understand it, imagining -- even for a moment -- that you could help someone else is off the rails.
    edited December 2013
    genkaku said:

In Buddhism as I understand it, imagining -- even for a moment -- that you could hselp someone else is off the rails.

Depends on the tradition. I cant speak for others but In theravada the way you help others IS by helping yourself. Through the practice you give a gift of fearlessness to all beings.

The picture i posted above is direct from the pali suttas, as is this one:

• The bodhisattva path focuses on helping others. Buddha helped others, right? So it is possible. Even an ordinary non-Buddhist psychologist and other professions can help others.

That said don't pine after the time when you will be a respected teaching. The lojong slogan says that. The slogan says "abandon hope of all fruition". I think it is meant so we don't get an ego of being a master teacher. But of course there are master teachers (master acharya). But it is more ego if you are craving the authority, respect, and so forth.
    JainarayanCinorjer
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

So just how does one help other sentient beings? How do the bodhisattvas and buddhas help us?

Through practice, wisdom and skillful means.

My understanding of the bodhisattvayana is that those things go hand-in-hand.

Practice, essentially, leads to wisdom and skillful means. Wisdom and skillful means is best illustrated by the relationship between Avalokiteshvara and Tara. It's said that the Bodhisattva Mahasattva looks out over the vastness of sentient beings and seeing their suffering wept. From those tears, Tara arose and seeing the Bodhisattva Mahasattva's great compassion, swore to stand by him and aid him in his oath. Avalokiteshvara represents skillful means and Tara represents wisdom (as the divine feminine often does) . Wisdom is the support for skillful means.

For us humans, this is attained through practice. So, if you want to aid sentient beings, practice and the wisdom and skillful means to aid them will naturally arise.
    lobsterJeffreyJainarayanDennis1
  • It seems to me, but I could be wrong, that practitioners are most interested in enlightenment for themselves... self-interest. I don't want that.

:)
    Helping others, being kind, being socially engaged. All good. We are mostly motivated and wired this way, hopefully.
    Some obsessionally.
    Many public servants/politicians are motivated (it has been known) by trying to improve the situation. What a mess they often produce.

In a similar way, not taking into account the absolute necessity of knowing the goal and means of travel we can end up lost and leading others to nowhere.

This is why we as a necessity, must gain a degree of realisation otherwise we are deluding ourselves that we are helping.
    It was the confidence in his realisation that allowed the Buddha to stop starving himself silly, holding his breath until headaches ensued and generally being super yogi . . .
    http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/05/before-buddha-became-a-buddhist-he-was-a-yogi/
    and helping generations of future travellers on the path . . .

So strange as it may seem, it is the essential personal liberation that leads to the capacity for genuine help . . . which after all is our greater intention . . .

:wave:
    anatamanJeffreyHamsaka
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    So strange as it may seem, it is the essential personal liberation that leads to the capacity for genuine help . . . which after all is our greater intention . . .

That's the way I see it @lobster
  • Chaz said:

So just how does one help other sentient beings? How do the bodhisattvas and buddhas help us?

Through practice, wisdom and skillful means.

My understanding of the bodhisattvayana is that those things go hand-in-hand.

Practice, essentially, leads to wisdom and skillful means. Wisdom and skillful means is best illustrated by the relationship between Avalokiteshvara and Tara. It's said that the Bodhisattva Mahasattva looks out over the vastness of sentient beings and seeing their suffering wept. From those tears, Tara arose and seeing the Bodhisattva Mahasattva's great compassion, swore to stand by him and aid him in his oath. Avalokiteshvara represents skillful means and Tara represents wisdom (as the divine feminine often does) . Wisdom is the support for skillful means.

For us humans, this is attained through practice. So, if you want to aid sentient beings, practice and the wisdom and skillful means to aid them will naturally arise.
    Thanks for posting it, I love that story. I have an affection for Avalokiteshvara and Tara. :)

So this is within everyone's grasp as the Buddha taught; whether we are ready, willing and/or are able to put practice, wisdom and skillful means together is the real challenge.
  • lobster said:

Yes, gotcha. On the face of it, it seems counter-intuitive, but again, as @Jayantha's post points out:
    Jayantha said:

To go along with the last few posts...

And as Jesus said in Matt. 7 (paraphrasing): "How can you remove something from someone else's eye when you can't see clearly yourself? Clear your own vision, then you can take care of someone else's."

Things fall into place.
  • genkaku said:

In Buddhism as I understand it, imagining -- even for a moment -- that you could help someone else is off the rails.

I don't understand this. What does off the rails mean? What rails? In what way off.
    How do you mean help. I mean what is the purpose of the 8fold path or the 4 noble truths or....? Please explain Do you mean because no one else exists so what is the use?
    If that is the case then why did the Buddha bother? Do you mean only the Buddha could help-ok-which Buddha? Are you preaching Nihilism? Please explain.

• And as Jesus said in Matt. 7 (paraphrasing): "How can you remove something from someone else's eye when you can't see clearly yourself? Clear your own vision, then you can take care of someone else's."

Things fall into place.

Jesus was obviously talking about judging someone-not the willingness to help. Jesus main message was to love your neighbor as yourself. And he preached love and pulling the ox out of the ditch-even on the Sabbath-right? so, if we must be perfect in order to help how can anyone be helped. I see the way forward on the Bodhi's path as a continuous striving for self perfection through helping others.

edited December 2013
    Dennis1 said:

genkaku said:

I don't understand this. What does off the rails mean? What rails? In what way off.
    How do you mean help. I mean what is the purpose of the 8fold path or the 4 noble truths or....? Please explain Do you mean because no one else exists so what is the use?
    If that is the case then why did the Buddha bother? Do you mean only the Buddha could help-ok-which Buddha? Are you preaching Nihilism? Please explain.

a few definitions from the net on this phrase.

go off the rails (informal)
    to start behaving strangely or in a way that is not acceptable to society

off the rails
    If someone has gone off the rails, they have lost track of reality.

off the rails
    Idioms & Phrases

off the rails

In an abnormal or malfunctioning condition, as in Her political campaign has been off the rails for months . The phrase occurs commonly with go , as in Once the superintendent resigned, the effort to reform the school system went off the rails . This idiom alludes to the rails on which trains run; if a train goes off the rails, it stops or crashes. [Mid-1800s]
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I think the answer to the original topic might be something like, DON'T try to help other beings "attain enlightenment". Just help other beings. Otherwise you're checking and acting in response to your desired outcome instead of responding to the situation.

I think here is where even we "non-religious" Buddhists have to plant our feet and declare our faith in the Dharma and the Bodhisattva way. I take the vow anew each morning, and sometimes the person I first have to help is myself. Am I making a difference? Well of course my actions make a difference, however slight, for good or bad. In spite of my best efforts to help, I doubt that I discover the path to world peace and once I die the world will continue being what it is. I don't have a bit of proof that my practice of trying to help others will actually help anyone. For all I know, I'm wasting my time. I have only my faith in the Buddha's words to go by.

Besides, nothing else is going to work. The world has already had it's fill of religions that try to claim exclusive Truth and want to save you from your sins. All I want is for you to be happy.

Dennis1lobsterpegembara
  • Dennis1 said:

Jesus was obviously talking about judging someone-not the willingness to help. Jesus main message was to love your neighbor as yourself. And he preached love and pulling the ox out of the ditch-even on the Sabbath-right? so, if we must be perfect in order to help how can anyone be helped. I see the way forward on the Bodhi's path as a continuous striving for self perfection through helping others.

Yes, I see your point.

I do understand and agree he was talking primarily about judging in Matthew 7, but what he taught always has a wider application, I think. It's also true that very few people are going to reach the point of seeing so clearly that they can correct someone else's vision, to use the example.

I agree the point is to keep on striving. In that regard I think we're helping ourselves and others, working for ourselves and setting an example (hopefully) for others.
    CinorjerDennis1
  • Cinorjer said:

I think the answer to the original topic might be something like, DON'T try to help other beings "attain enlightenment". Just help other beings. Otherwise you're checking and acting in response to your desired outcome instead of responding to the situation...

All I want is for you to be happy.

It's true I may have over-thought the subject, as I'm prone to do, and of course that's a stumbling block to progress.
    CinorjerDennis1
  • Hi Genkaku I didn't get your answer on what do you mean by help. The Buddha said no enlightenment occurs without communication. Are you saying we should just stick to good morning and hello and skip the part about quoting the Buddha or answering questions. If that is so then I don't see why you participate in this venue.

Or, are you saying that each person must carry their own burdens and work it out for themselves and no one can help in that process. Ditto above-why are you here.

Or are you saying that we shouldn't presume we have any special dispensation
    to dish out enlightenment. I go along with that-but then why be so cryptic about it.
    I still fail to understand your view. What do you mean by help?

I have enjoyed your comments they have been instructive but this one seems self conflicted. Can you HELP me out a little here?
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited December 2013
    What is compassion without wisdom?
    In the event that the plane loses cabin pressure while at altitude, the oxygen masks will fall from the ceiling. This is to provide adequate oxygen for the passengers. Imagine yourself on such a plane, traveling with your children or grandchildren. The hatches above the seat open and the masks fall. Your natural inclination would be to get the masks on your children and only then help yourself. In the worst-case scenario, you might black out before you got your child’s mask on. Then your children slip into unconsciousness, and both of you suffer brain damage. The only way to ensure that you can help those around you is to help yourself first, thus the admonition from the flight attendant to “put on your own oxygen mask before helping those around you”.

Preacher, is your oxygen mask on?

We may have the gift of speech and preach good sermons, but unless our own oxygen mask is on, how can we help others?

http://www.deltadiscovery.com/story/2011/07/20/contributors/please-put-your-own-oxygen-mask-before-assisting-others/07212011045198806940.html
    lobster
  • Maybe we shouldn't think too grandly about this. Not getting in the way feels aspirational to me. It's the attitude I think? What we do, we do as part of something greater than a single individual.
    Dennis1
  • I help sentient beings to reach enlightenment by sharing a smile with everyone I come in contact with throughout the day. Pure cheese I know, but they feel good, I feel good no looses out.
    lobsterJainarayanCinorjerDennis1
  • Hi,
    i respect your opinions but i think they do not agree with real buddhist teachings.
    What is said in Pali-Canon and Eightfold Path is: Love, Pity, Compassion und to take the
    next one for yourself.
    The aim of Buddhis is to come so far, so you are not being reincarneted any more.

sakko
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Hi @Anando - what is sakko?

• anando said:

Hi,
    i respect your opinions but i think they do not agree with real buddhist teachings.
    What is said in Pali-Canon and Eightfold Path is: Love, Pity, Compassion und to take the
    next one for yourself.
    The aim of Buddhis is to come so far, so you are not being reincarneted any more.
    sakko

Well I used to read the Pali Canons and I remember some of that (about 1956) So I don't want to disparage you. But, that is not what the Mahayana teaches. In pretty much all of the Mahayana basic works, the 'aim' of Bodhichitta is to become a Buddha so that you may assist others to become enlightened and end suffering. The Motivation is definitely for the benefit of others. Since the Avatamsaka Sutra dates from around
    100 BC and it is definitely Mahayana, I don't think you can just wave your hand and dismiss all of the Mahayana texts as "(not in agreement with real Buddhist teachings)".
    The Buddha taught many paths for people with different capacities and propensities.
    The Buddha's words seem perfectly in keeping with enlightenment for the sake of others.
    ' Both the Pali and the Sanskrit Canons can be traced to the common original teaching of the Buddha.'

Certainty can be reassuring but when it makes nothing of the faith of others it can be a hindrance to others. Everything was oral in the beginning and hinged on the memories of a few. The teachings should be consistent in their enlightened message. I think most schools are. Best to you, mtgby