Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

general question about meditation?

what is the basic or fundamental meditation of buddhism? can i do meditation without a teacher? how long do i spent time on meditation to reach proper level or state ? can i reach arahant level in this life time with meditation? or are there any living arahants or enlightenment beings alive? in gautama buddha's time most of the person who met the buddha got arahant level at once, but why can't many people or monks, although his teachings exist now, get arahant or proper level in our time, however the person he or she study it intensely?

Comments

• absolute said:

what is the basic or fundamental meditation of buddhism?

Under tree. Sit. Tree not essential.
    Or learn walking meditation to start.
    http://buddhist-meditation-techniques.com/get-started-buddhist-meditation-for-beginners/
    can i do meditation without a teacher?
    You can sit on a teacher or a cushion.
    how long do i spent time on meditation to reach proper level or state ?
    to reach levels or states is not required
    can i reach arahant level in this life time with meditation?
    No.
    Oh wait, yes but it will require effort.
    or are there any living arahants or enlightenment beings alive?
    Yes, not that it matters.
    in gautama buddha's time most of the person who met the buddha got arahant level at once,
    Did they indeed. Perhaps. Perhaps not.
    but why can't many people or monks, although his teachings exist now, get arahant or proper level in our time, however the person he or she study it intensely?
    Many people who do study intensely do become Arahats, stream entrants and beyond.
    anataman
  • Lots of interesting questions. About the Arahats: the answer to those is that in general, Buddhism is not geared toward turning out Arahats anymore. The focus has shifted. To begin with, after Buddha's death the Sangha soon fractured into differing factions and the people that decide who is and is not an Arahat started disagreeing with each other. First thing they did was reject all the women Arahats to the point that women pretty much disappeared from the streams. Also, the temples stopped being all about turning out Arahats and became focused on supporting the Sangha. There remain many people of many schools of Buddhism who would be labeled an Arahat back then.

Ask yourself, who is it that decides who is and is not an Arahat? There is no group of existing Arahats that get together in council once a year to vote on a list of candidates.
    Dennis1
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    absolute said:

what is the basic or fundamental meditation of buddhism?

Vaies with tradition, but Samatha and/or Vipassana is pretty basic.
    can i do meditation without a teacher?
    The best way to learn meditation is to work with a qualified meditation instructor. Learning from a book is very difficult and learning online is close to impossible IMO.
    how long do i spent time on meditation to reach proper level or state ?
    That will depend on you.
    can i reach arahant level in this life time with meditation?
    Depending on you, again, yes it is possible.
    or are there any living arahants or enlightenment beings alive?
    I'd say yes. That, or damned close to it.
    Dennis1
  • Well I really like Cinorjer's comments and others as well. I would add: Arhat was used of the Buddha who revealed or taught the path. Others have come and many have accomplished. I think Arhat is an ancient Vedic term of one who has accomplished religious realization and wonders through the world without attachment.

The Theraveda Look at Buddhahood as a far off accomplishment so they don't push the arhat thing-although I believe they have many enlightened practitioners.

In the Mahayana I believe a similar term is Bodhisattva (awakened warrior) and there are
    thirteen levels. These levels are dependent on accomplishment of things like clear light of bliss and meaning clear light and etc. The way is clearly laid out. But the path is not accomplished through the motivation for self. A Bodhi wishes to develop Bodhicitta
    (enlightenment for the benefit of others). Without this motivation you cannot easily quiet the mind. So first you must quiet the mind which rises from grasping after self.
    This is usually done through meditation, empowerments and the help of a guru.
    Not all gurus lead toward arhat but most lead toward enlightenment. You can accomplish arhat in one lifetime (is there any other?), but you must have pure motivation and the Paramitas.

One more thing: Emptiness. Your questions lead me to wonder about your motivation.
    You should examine your motivation and determine that you are willing to develop enlightenment for others. If the self is truly empty then the self has no inherent existence. Enlightenment for self is useless-really and truly useless. I wouldn't bother to put out the great effort to be an arhant if you don't have the proper motivation.

However, Meditation is very valuable in life and simple desire to achieve some peace and
    rest from the constant internal chatter makes meditation worthwhile. Start with meditation and take another look if you like what you find. Good luck.
    Invincible_summer
  • I wouldn't bother to put out the great effort to be an arhant if you don't have the proper motivation.
    Exactly so.
    You can join the fad to become an 'imaginary future arhat' right now. The question sounds theoretical. Why ask? What is the intention? :)
  • noting breaths.
    absolute said:

what is the basic or fundamental meditation of buddhism? can i do meditation without a teacher? how long do i spent time on meditation to reach proper level or state ? can i reach arahant level in this life time with meditation? or are there any living arahants or enlightenment beings alive? in gautama buddha's time most of the person who met the buddha got arahant level at once, but why can't many people or monks, although his teachings exist now, get arahant or proper level in our time, however the person he or she study it intensely?

• in gautama buddha's time most of the person who met the buddha got arahant level at once
    You meant in one lifetime I believe? The Buddha was a remarkable teacher. The situation was conducive.
    Really it is about devotion to the path. A life changing path can not be followed by remaining the same. You have the potential. Can it be realised/implemented? That is our start. :wave:
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    “If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.”

Obsessing about achieving buddhahood misses the point.

Where's an arahant when you need one?
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    anataman said:

“If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.”

That never did quite work in the old stories, for devadatta or angulimala lol, i dont think id even bother.
    anataman